Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Angry Grimace posted:

I've personally had a lot of luck just keeping the chamber itself at 65, but the impression I get is that most people try to monitor the liquid itself by taping the probe to the Carboy.

I tried having the probe strapped to the carboy. It turned out that there is way too much thermal mass in the liquid and you'll overshoot temperature pretty hard. If you were running a chest freezer it would likely be enough of an overshoot to frost up the inside. Now I hang it down into the middle of the fridge and just let it read the air temperature with it about 4 degrees cooler for primary fermentation to counteract the heat released by the fermentation.

I've been having trouble with my taps for a while now. I simply cannot stop them from giving me about 1/2-3/4 pint of foam on the first dispense. I've rerun the hoses, tried different lengths, changed pressure, and everything I can think of. I don't drink much at all (a pint or two every other night at most), is this something I'm just going to have to endure if I don't want to go back to bottling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Nice 40*F heat wave so I'm brewing a caribou slobber kit from Northern Brewer to fill my second keg :woop:

almost
Sep 2, 2012

almost fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 15, 2013

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Almost: should be fine, if it's bubbling it's fermenting. The Airlock isn't really an accurate way to measure fermentation. Use your hydrometer after it stood bubbling.

Also, kegging/freezer chat: put the probe in a glass of water. It's a nice compromise between air temp and the actual Carboy temp.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

almost posted:

It's been 61 hours since I pitched the yeast but it's only bubbling once every 3 or 4 minutes, even though i saw the first bubble after only about 12 hours. Is this normal? When should I worry that it's not bubbling quickly? I think the 72 hour thing you guys talk about in this thread applies to the starting of bubbling, not the transition from first bubble to quick bubbling. How long does this usually take?

Here are my details again;
Apple Juice 19L
Table Sugar 2.5kg
Yeast Nutrient
EC-1118 1 pack
OG 1.098-1.100

Also do floating thermometers work properly to detect air temp? I'm worried the room is too cold. It shows 15°C / 59°F.

15c isnt terrible. Its at the low end of Ale and high end of Lager. EC-1118 can handle anything from 10c-30c(!!) so you should be fine at that temp. But since you have a fairly high gravity, expect a fairly long brew for it to chew through all that sugar.

How much nutrient did you add, and where there any preservatives in that juice?

almost
Sep 2, 2012

almost fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 15, 2013

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Shifty Pony posted:

I've been having trouble with my taps for a while now. I simply cannot stop them from giving me about 1/2-3/4 pint of foam on the first dispense. I've rerun the hoses, tried different lengths, changed pressure, and everything I can think of. I don't drink much at all (a pint or two every other night at most), is this something I'm just going to have to endure if I don't want to go back to bottling?

It could be that the beer left in the lines is getting warm. If you have a tower a lot of times the air in it is warmer than the rest of the kegerator, so your beer in that part of the lines will pour foamy. You can fix this by riggin up something like a computer fan to blow cool air into the tower.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Jo3sh posted:

I had a pretty good brewday yesterday. After all the frustrations I had with my (lack of) cooling last time, it was really refreshing to get to 70 degrees in a reasonable period of time, and to actually be able to pitch the yeast right away rather than waiting until the next morning.

I also got a reasonable whirlpool going in the brewpot, and I had an idea for a whirlpool trap - essentially, a piece of copper curled into a spiral, so that the clockwise whirlpool will tend to drive particulates to the center of the trap. Anyone ever tried anything like this?

EDIT: congrats on the new addition, PSoT. Are you going to name the child Zymurgy, or Brewer?

We settled on Elora (no willow reference intended). She's doing well :)

Also, check your email, yall! Victims sent! Sorry it came a bit late for a proper christmas delivery in most cases, I'd expect we'd be seeing results the xmas-nyd week? Remember, post pictures and reviews!!!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Josh Wow posted:

It could be that the beer left in the lines is getting warm. If you have a tower a lot of times the air in it is warmer than the rest of the kegerator, so your beer in that part of the lines will pour foamy. You can fix this by riggin up something like a computer fan to blow cool air into the tower.

Oooh, this could be it. The tower is very poorly insulated because it was kinda macgyvered by my friends to replace the old single tap tower. A small quiet fan should be very easy to rig up.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Oooh, this could be it. The tower is very poorly insulated because it was kinda macgyvered by my friends to replace the old single tap tower. A small quiet fan should be very easy to rig up.
Another solution might be to route your lines individually inside copper pipes and let the copper hang into the fridge like shown in this HBT thread. This way you don't have to worry about running power or listening to the (small) amount of fan noise.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Shifty Pony posted:

I have the same problem and I think the problem is temperature like was mentioned earlier. The first pour is always foamy. I'm not positive how to fix it since I have a collar.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
For the Secret Santa what is the target amount? A six pack?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

For the Secret Santa what is the target amount? A six pack?

It's really up to the sender. Last year the minimum sent was a 2 pack of bombers and the maximum sent was a 7 pack, i believe. One person this time has commited to sending 6 bombers to their victim this year.

My personal thought is that, since finished beer is the preferred gift, if you don't feel you're giving enough variety then include some ingredients or something. Last year I had no finished beer worth sending, so my victim got a pound of hops. This year I'll likely be sending two bombers (just moved, homebrewing stopped for a while so the only thing I have on hand are two batches started this month and being bottled around xmas) and maybe some "stocking stuffers"

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Josh Wow posted:

A chest freezer. My 7 cubic foot one fits two buckets or carboys
I also used a 7cf chest freezer, the GE one from Lowes which was on sale for $160 recently. It worked pretty well but it became my keezer once the fermentation was done. You'll need a replacement temperature controller to get it to run at the right temperature though. I built one out of parts I had lying around from my electronics hobby. I've ordered a 4.6cf fridge from Walmart which I'll use from now on. The freezer just got a lot of condensation in it so I had to rig up a fan and a dehumidifier to keep everything from being all drippy here in Florida.

I had a strange brew day too! I broke my hydrometer, had a leak develop in my kitchen's water filtration system, and ended up with this

You may say, "hey that's some good looking boil kettle leftovers there!" but the recipe I was using said I should have ended up with a 8-9 SRM. I can't test the gravity so I'm wondering if I just ended up with super-extraction. Mash pH was somewhere in the 5.1-5.3 level, but that's about all I know. Did I just get more out of this grain bill than anticipated? I'm thinking of adding some water when I dry hop it in a week or so.

10 lbs Rahr 2-row
12oz Crystal 40L
8oz Carapils (1.9L)
1oz Roasted Barley (550L)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Paladine_PSoT posted:

It's really up to the sender. Last year the minimum sent was a 2 pack of bombers and the maximum sent was a 7 pack, i believe. One person this time has commited to sending 6 bombers to their victim this year.

My personal thought is that, since finished beer is the preferred gift, if you don't feel you're giving enough variety then include some ingredients or something. Last year I had no finished beer worth sending, so my victim got a pound of hops. This year I'll likely be sending two bombers (just moved, homebrewing stopped for a while so the only thing I have on hand are two batches started this month and being bottled around xmas) and maybe some "stocking stuffers"

Well I have one batch that was finished and looks good, and another that I just bottled and figured I would send with the caveat that it could suck. Would sending a six pack (so three 12 oz bottles of each) be in line with what others are thinking?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
What's everyone's opinion on this hydrometer vs cheaper triple scale ones rated to like 1.200? I have the triple scale, but I question the accuracy of it. Most of the beers I do won't be over 1.060 and I'd rather get the matching higher gravity one for higher gravity beers if this is more accurate.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

CapnBry posted:

You may say, "hey that's some good looking boil kettle leftovers there!" but the recipe I was using said I should have ended up with a 8-9 SRM. I can't test the gravity so I'm wondering if I just ended up with super-extraction. Mash pH was somewhere in the 5.1-5.3 level, but that's about all I know. Did I just get more out of this grain bill than anticipated? I'm thinking of adding some water when I dry hop it in a week or so.

10 lbs Rahr 2-row
12oz Crystal 40L
8oz Carapils (1.9L)
1oz Roasted Barley (550L)

Looks almost exactly like you used 10 pounds of a toasted 2-row instead of rahr 2-row. Mis-labeled package?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well I have one batch that was finished and looks good, and another that I just bottled and figured I would send with the caveat that it could suck. Would sending a six pack (so three 12 oz bottles of each) be in line with what others are thinking?

I'd be happy with that.

Whoever my victim is is getting both my first attempt at an oatmeal stout and my first attempt at an IPA.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
My buddy I, just, stopped brewing with has problems discerning the Mild I brewed from the Milk Stout. This is despite the Milk Stout being 5.5 gallons instead of 5, and the flavor profiles being very different. The only thing I was actually a part of with him was the actual brew day, he took care of the rest since we brewed at his house. Oh and the FG was "about 1.010" for the milk stout, no care for accurate measurements with him.

I am glad I decided to brew less, but with more control with my girlfriend. We're going to brew a witbier with lemon and tangerine zest and peach puree added after fermentation. I'm thinking it will come out nice, it was actually her idea and I like it a lot. We're going to closely monitor/fix fermenting temps and I'll actually check the fermenters more than once every 2 days. My buddy and I brewed a burton IPA and the yeast said that it may blow off a lid. 2 days later he finally checked and the lid was blown off so huge chance of infection.

Sorry for the mini rant, I've drank a lot and can't wait to brew solo.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 17, 2012

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Just a heads up on peaches. I don't have experience, but the general consensus on using them in beers is that its kind if underwhelming. Radical Brewing suggests apricots as a sub.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Just a heads up on peaches. I don't have experience, but the general consensus on using them in beers is that its kind if underwhelming. Radical Brewing suggests apricots as a sub.

Peaches don't actually have a very strong flavor. Most of their flavor is just straight up sugar and a slight amount of tartness - Apricots are much more tart and you can get a very similar effect with a smaller amount of Apricots. If you actually rack to secondary on a full can of Apricot puree it will become quite tart very quickly if you allow it to age for more than a few days, however. Ask me how I know!

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
yessssss due to some unnoticed leaks in my new kegerator setup my 5 pound c02 tank is now completely dead after only two days.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

thomawesome posted:

yessssss due to some unnoticed leaks in my new kegerator setup my 5 pound c02 tank is now completely dead after only two days.

Get a spray bottle with some Star-San in it and spray it on EVERY connection to ensure there isn't a leak.

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
I will do that tomorrow after I exchange it for a new tank :(

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Okay, so I've just been samping the wheat beer I've made before it's totally conditioned, and it's alright, a bit on the sweeter or not quite hoppy/bitter enough side of things, but definitely drinkable.

However, I forgot/was too lazy to strain out the hops pellets from the wort after the boil, so they've ended up in the bottles. If they sit in there, will they bump up the hoppy side of things over time? I know most of the aromatic parts will have evaporated, but will the dregs put in some more bitterness? Out of the bottles I've impatiently sampled, there's been some floaties, which is either the yeast (WB-06 I believe) or the hop residue.

Also, I bottled my raspberry wheat the other day, which was made from the same wort and sectioned off (after primary) into a 5L demijohn from the original batch. I sampled it when bottling (at least the dreggy parts from filtering out the raspberries and crap with cheesecloth) and it tasted pretty good, although the wheaty beer flavours were really subdued and overwhelmed by a general beery flavour and raspberry type sournessish taste. Is this normal? I quite liked it, but after tasting the others at bottling about a week beforehand I expected more of the original flavour to be present, but it seemed to have mostly disappeared

Recipe for those interested:

1.8kg Briess Golden Light DME
1.5kg Briess Wheat Liquid Malt Extract

~20g Hersbrucker hops, 15g or so for 60min, 5g for 30min

Safbrew WB-06

Nanpa fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 17, 2012

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Since we received our secret santees so late my santee will be receiving a NYE present as I have some pretty dope beers coming out of carboys this week. Trust me, it's better that you wait for these than get what I have right now. :3:

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Looks almost exactly like you used 10 pounds of a toasted 2-row instead of rahr 2-row. Mis-labeled package?
Yeah I wonder. I mean it would have to have been 10lbs of like 25L something or other, and I'd like to think I'd notice the color difference in the grain. I'm just on my second month of all-grain though so I could just be a complete moran.

Midorka posted:

What's everyone's opinion on this hydrometer vs cheaper triple scale ones rated to like 1.200?
I asked for one of these for Christmas so hopefully I'll let you know next week. I agree that I did not like my triple scale hydrometer. The accuracy is probably acceptable, but I could never read it because I could never find the SG side.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cointelprofessional posted:

I have the same problem and I think the problem is temperature like was mentioned earlier. The first pour is always foamy. I'm not positive how to fix it since I have a collar.

I have a collar too and I'm thinking of using a small blower fan. Unlike a standard computer case fan they can produce enough pressure to force air through a tube up into the tower. My plan is to take the blower fan out of an old laptop and rig up some ducting using as large of a thin wall tube as I can jam through the collar. It shouldn't take too awful much airflow to keep the beer from foaming.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
So bottle priming. This is something I've had a lot of trouble with for one reason or another. Most of my batches came out super overcarbonated if I didn't drink them within a month because I followed the 1oz corn sugar per gallon rule of thumb. I learned not to do that and went with something closer to .75oz/gal and they still came out overcarbonated. The bottles were stored at room temperature which is around 68-70 most of the year.

After bottling my last batch, an Imperial Stout, with 3oz of corn sugar for 5 gallons I found out that the temperature of the beer at bottling affects the priming rate since CO2 dissolves in cold beer. I bottled my stout at around 40 degrees. Am I going to have gushers? I checked a bottle priming calculator and it told me that 1.4oz corn sugar was sufficient for 5 gallons at 40 degrees :ohdear:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

internet celebrity posted:

So bottle priming. This is something I've had a lot of trouble with for one reason or another. Most of my batches came out super overcarbonated if I didn't drink them within a month because I followed the 1oz corn sugar per gallon rule of thumb. I learned not to do that and went with something closer to .75oz/gal and they still came out overcarbonated. The bottles were stored at room temperature which is around 68-70 most of the year.

After bottling my last batch, an Imperial Stout, with 3oz of corn sugar for 5 gallons I found out that the temperature of the beer at bottling affects the priming rate since CO2 dissolves in cold beer. I bottled my stout at around 40 degrees. Am I going to have gushers? I checked a bottle priming calculator and it told me that 1.4oz corn sugar was sufficient for 5 gallons at 40 degrees :ohdear:

This is something I'd be interested in knowing as well. My cream ale is definitely super overcarbonated, and now I'm worried that my saison will do the same. What's a good bottle priming calculator?

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Woo, got second place (out of seven) with our APA - and it was only a couple points that separated us from 1st. All the other homebrewers including the guy who won first seemed to think we got robbed too, but I'm happy with how we placed :)

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

thomawesome posted:

Also, be sure to get a new (don't remember the name) plastic disk that fits between the regulator coupling and the CO2 tank. Due to the extreme pressure, it warps slightly and needs to be replaced every time you change tanks. I learned that the hard way going through 2 20lb tanks in a matter of weeks.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Nanpa posted:

If they sit in there, will they bump up the hoppy side of things over time?

I doubt it.

Hop oils don't take that long to extract, and hop flavor tends to mellow over time.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Well, my internship at a local brewpub is drawing to a close. In exchange for making a binder full of 5 years of brewlogs into a useful spreadsheet to predict future costs and look at historical growth etc, I not only get school credit, but will be helping to brew a batch of their Saison on their 10 barrel system!

I can't tell you how excited I am for Friday when we brew.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Daedalus Esquire posted:

internship at a local brewpub [...] school credit

I should ask my department chair if I might do such a thing as part of my MS program. There are a couple of breweries around here that seem like good targets for this kind of thing.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
So I realize this is not normally done, but I'm thinking of souring a few gallons of some IPA I have in primary right now with some Brett L and maybe adding some pineapple. Anyone ever tried something like this and/or think it's a horrible idea?

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Acceptableloss posted:

So I realize this is not normally done, but I'm thinking of souring a few gallons of some IPA I have in primary right now with some Brett L and maybe adding some pineapple. Anyone ever tried something like this and/or think it's a horrible idea?

I'm pretty sure this dude I follow on Twitter did that once. You could ask him.

https://twitter.com/TheMicrobeCOLL

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
I've got beer and cider ready, for my Santee, but I am really not comfortable shipping brew. So instead I just ordered a handful of hops and a grain that sounded interesting. Hope they like it :)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is something I'd be interested in knowing as well. My cream ale is definitely super overcarbonated, and now I'm worried that my saison will do the same. What's a good bottle priming calculator?

Every carb calculator is the same because Henry's law is both accurate and dead simple to program and the rest is universal assumptions about yeast consumption of sugar.

The hard part is Henry's law gives you equilibrium conditions which is a crap shoot in whether your beer sitting in a bucket and getting temperature cycled to whatever, and assumptions about head space and how violently you rack and mix and when the last time you farted was.

So my point really is a carb calculator will get you in the neighborhood and you need to dial in the rest of the way through practice with your personal set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursa Majora
Dec 24, 2006

Ohhhh... you touched my Tra La La
I've got a stout that's been sitting in its carboy for about two weeks now. Unfortunately, my furnace started leaking CO in the middle of last week, resulting in a call to the local fire department and leaving me without heat for several days. The temperature in my house has been <60 for most of this time, and i'm worried that the yeast may have gotten too cold. Is there any way to salvage it at this point?