Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Akett posted:

Looking at this pic, I think Junko's eyes are slightly more blue, but it's not by much.

What struck me about the pic is that the lower parts of Nagito's hair are the same shade of pink as Junko's hair. Might just be the pic though, I've looked over the updates for Nagito and while the talking sprites have a washed out shade of pink, not all pictures of him have that. It might just be the picture, or shadows or something.

Surely you people are joking with speculation this far-fetched and silly. :psyduck:

About Fedule's notes, I don't really mind them personally but I'll echo the sentiment that they pretty much made no sense most of the time. Also DR is one of those games that relies heavily on atmosphere, especially when something big and shocking happens or has recently happened, so you'll have to be a bit careful when deciding when and what kind of comments you'll add. Talking about immersion feels a bit silly since it's just an LP but it can still get pretty immersive and some "OH MY GOD" in the middle of a tense scene could be somewhat jarring.

Don't let criticism discourage and stop you, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Please don't let the suspicion on Nagito become another meme that run itself to the ground, DR2. That would be too much despair for me. :ohdear:

Carrasco posted:

I still don't see this. Maybe I don't have enough imagination, but it seems like any animal-based murder would be really obvious. "Covered in hundreds of tiny bites, I wonder who could have done it?"

Or even if it's not that blatant, there's bound to be some stray furs left around the crime scene. If nothing else, no matter how well you train an animal, it's still not going to be sentient or capable of manipulating complex tools, which really limits one's options.
I agree that killing someone directly with an animal would be obvious, but they can do other jobs as well, such as moving small objects, squeezing through tiny spaces (locked-room murder, anyone?), etc. Besides, Gundam probably leaves a trail of fur wherever he goes anyway which would confound with real evidences.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

MrCinos posted:

Another Chuunibyou in this anime season had the similar one while being in Dark Flame Master mode:

Until today, I was blissfully unaware of this whole Chuunibyou thing. But after hearing all these explanations and someone showing me this same anime to give me a crash course, I now realize I have seen one chuunibyou before: one of the pigeon characters from Hatoful Boyfriend. Gundam just lost a lot of cred with me cause now I can't help comparing him to that stupid pigeon.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how Dangan Ronpa can make this trope palatable, though.

quote:

Even if they're the same height, Hagakure and Komaeda have completely different features, face shapes and eye/skin colors. Unless there's a super high school level plastic surgeon roaming the post-apocalyptic world, it seems pretty much impossible that Hagakure would be able to change his appearance that drastically.

As much as I'd love to see more DR1 characters hiding somewhere, Hagakure would probably be the least likely since how bloody old is he now?!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I haven't really minded Fedule's notes, but it probably would make more sense for them to be posted outside of each update. As a bonus, it would let Fedule post more complete thoughts than stuff like "..." and "oh wow, they're really doing this". Maybe they could be bundled with the Riveting Editorial Anecdotes?

Jeek posted:

Please don't let the suspicion on Nagito become another meme that run itself to the ground, DR2. That would be too much despair for me. :ohdear:
I'm 99% sure that slowbeef would carve a valley of blood and newbie tears through the thread if he even got a whiff of another stupid meme starting up.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
I'm sure it doesn't need to be stated but it is incredibly important that the literal translations are not tampered with much. If "Tomorrow you will be dead" is changed to "I'm going to kill you!" we might miss out on LOTS

1). He stated that he would be dead, he did not specify who was going to kill him.
2). He stated that he would be dead tomorrow, we've lost this foreshadowing and can overlook it as a simple empty threat caused by anger rather than insightful knowledge.
3). T.U.W.B.D is an important abbreviation for something! OK this one is silly but you never know.

(I include the DR DOOM reference in this as some gaming related thing could come up later and we'd all be "Nagito referenced a game earlier, he might know this!")

Keep up the good stuff guys, I'm very glad to hear that Oren is keeping an eye on this rather than "Welp Fedule is making it word good now, not my job."

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
As someone who has lurked both the first thread and now this one and am very much in love with the games and appreciative of the massive amounts of work that is going on for free in here - I think the improvement in the dialogue and overall flow of the translation is vastly improved with Fedule on board. It was always lovely before, but now it's obvious that someone isn't just thinking about what information to get across but how to best phrase it. That is undeniable. But I also find the translation notes to be way too much - on the whole they made me start thinking not about the game narrative, or the tricky job of translation, but whether or not a line I was reading was really present in the game, or whether or not Fedule had added it, or if oren would have let it in if it was added, etc.

The solution to that was simple - I don't read the translation notes anymore, and people who enjoy them can read them. But I completely agree that the the notes within the updates themselves (which I can't really avoid) take me out of the narrative just as sharply. Oren's interjections generally provide depth to a topic, or explain a nuance of something I wouldn't understand because I'm not Japanese. Fedule's are more of a Greek chorus, doing the reacting to something that I would prefer to be doing myself. If the translation notes are like the author explaining every chapter why his character said "yellow" instead of "red", the inline notes are like having someone sitting next to you while you're reading poking you and saying "Did you notice this? Did you notice this?" It's doing my reacting, my audiencing, for me.

But let me say that I'm really enjoying DR2 as much as I enjoyed DR1, and I'm getting it all for free, so in the end everyone involved can do it however the hell they would like. I just wanted to provide the perspective of someone who thinks a lot (maybe too much) about the way stories are told. I wouldn't have said anything at all if it weren't materially affecting my enjoyment of the actual game updates themselves. The fact that I care at all, or that I currently have both 800 theories and 0 theories at the same time, means that this story is being told very well, from the original down to the translation. So thank you!

Sophia fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 17, 2012

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Really, the problem is small and simple: Fedule occasionally assumes that every reader has the same thought process as him. That's just not gonna happen. All the other comments have been great and entertaining, but...

When he said "Don't bother looking it up", I assumed he meant they're the same. Since that's the direction things had been going in.

When examining the "pet" part of the menu, he said something like "wait, is that--" then gets cut off. Great, I had no idea what he supposedly recognizes. I just left that section confused, after staring intently at that picture for another minute.

"Yes, dear reader, your suspicion is correct" I... I wasn't suspecting anything. What was I supposed to be suspecting?

All of these things had to be cleared up in the thread chat afterward. Because they didn't actually communicate anything. They really just amount to a "are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gundam and Nagito are wearing really similar T-shirts. Pure white with an artsy symbol of some sort, printed in their primary accent color, and no text. Souda and Hinata don't match, though. Wonder if that means anything.

Seems kind of odd to me that a work produced in a country where American comics have so little cultural penetration would contain a generic-supervillain-pastiche type character. Always thought of that as a Western-comics trope. Am I off-base there?

Also if it's not too goony of me to say, that entire update I couldn't stop thinking how similar Gundam looks (and acts, sort of) to Eridan from Homestuck. Right down to the fixation on the color purple, the supervillainous grandstanding, the scarf, and the silly hairdo.

(e: added in image link)

loquacius fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 17, 2012

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Note: due to length, I'm splitting this chapter into two. This is the first half.

A yellow cat peeked out from the thicket to the side of the pavement.

It slowly stepped out of the swaying grass and into the road, waving its long tail as it turned its eyes in anticipation towards me. But its expression soon turned to alertness, and then to fear. The cat, having seen me skipping merrily down the road towards it, must have thought I was about to trample it. It escaped back into the bushes in panic.

But, I didn’t care at all. I bathed in the light of the hot sun, let the wind flutter my skirt, and continued my obscene merry skip onward down the road. I was in Hope’s Peak Academy’s eastern quarter, near the courtyard. Many newly-built facilities were lined up around me, as well as several that were still under construction. As I skipped down the road that twisted between them, I took no special notice of any dirty cats or of my classmates, studying and fraternizing all around. Nor did I derive any happiness from the light touch of the sun after a long stay indoors. No, I skipped down the road with nothing but my destination on my mind.

Not that I’m the kind of girl who’d go skipping around thoughtlessly. I had a reason.

I’m going to meet the boy I like the best in the world!

That said, my reason may have been a good one, but no student in their right mind should go skipping down the road in a campus of a school of as high a pedigree as Hope’s Peak Academy. Therefore, it wasn’t surprising that other students who happened to walk by looked at me oddly, but... that really has nothing to do with me.

Nothing in the world could stop my skipping. Not a crying girl. Not a couple fighting. Not a student in a wheelchair that has come to a standstill. Not even an anemic student who has fallen down. One thought alone moved my body: I want to meet him, I love him so much. I skipped so obscenely that no one would probably find it surprising if I suddenly sprouted wings and flew up towards the sky.

I continued down the road, but...

“...Huh?”

I suddenly came to a stop.

“Which way should I go?”

I looked around in confusion, and realized I didn’t recognize any of the landmarks around me. My heart started beating loudly.

No, everything’s fine. I calmed myself down and removed a notebook from the backpack I was wearing. On the back page of the notebook, the following sentence was written:

“You’re looking for the Neurology lab on the third floor of the Biology building in Hope’s Peak Academy’s eastern quarter”.

I felt a refreshing wind of relief passing through my body. Yeah, that’s right! The biology building!

...Um, but where is that biology building, anyway?

My heart went noisy once more.

Everything’s fine. No need to worry. I nervously flipped through the notebook as if acting on instinct, and my eyes stopped on a page with a crude drawing of a map. Above it, the following was written:

“This is a diagram of Hope’s Peak Academy’s eastern quarter”

Well done, me! Without thinking, I struck a victory pose.

Soon, I was standing on the raised edge of the fountain that decorated the center of the courtyard, comparing the buildings around me with the map. Literature building, science building, physics building, arts building, math building, P.E. building, linguistics building, staff building... as cold droplets from the fountain kept hitting my thighs, I looked for my destination, the biology building, as if I’ve never visited it before.

“Ah, it’s right over there!”

I finally found the square building, identifiable by its light-green walls. It looked exactly like the note about the biology building in my notebook described it.

“Right!”

I jumped down from the fountain’s edge, and started running. Some boys in the area looked at me in surprise. Maybe my skirt flew up for a second during my vigorous leap -- but that really has nothing to do with me.

Anyway, I must reach my destination before I forget!

My ferocious dash led me inside the biology building, where I soon discovered a flight of stairs at the back of the lobby. I didn’t lose momentum for even a second as I ran up the stairs to the third floor. When I reached it, I ran down the corridor, checking the signs next to the doors lined on its walls. Finally, at the very end, I found the sign that read “Neurology Lab”.

I hastily stopped in my tracks.

After a quick deep breath, I checked my hair and my smile in a hand mirror. Yep, cute as always! Flashing that same wonderful smile and shouting “G’day!” in my brightest voice, I opened the lab’s door... and that’s when it happened.

Something flew just past my ear, making a wind-cutting wooshing sound.

“...eek!”

I turned my head in panic, and saw a small blade embedded in the wall behind me, still vibrating from the impact. I jumped back. “W...Why is there a scalpel flying through the air?!”, I screeched.

“Don’t shout”, A chiding voice answered back from inside the lab.

The moment I heard that voice, my heart started beating faster. Thump, thump, went my heart as I turned to look inside the lab. A boy was lying on top of a bed installed in the center of the room.

“...You’re late. That’s unseemly for someone as ugly as you.”

A dirty white shirt was sloppily thrown over his body. He was lying face up, his face concentrated on a thick manga magazine he held in his hand. He didn’t look at me once.

“You’re also too loud for someone as ugly as you. Speaking of, someone as ugly as you being scared of flying scalpels is weird too.”

“W...Wait a second!”, I stopped him, my voice showing signs of panic. “I could report you for discrimination if you keep calling me ugly, you know!”

“...Who are you going to report me to? The National Japanese Ugly People Association? That kind of organization would be guilty of discrimination just by existing.”

The manga-reading boy who kept calling me ugly was the person in charge of this neurology lab. The doctor in charge of my treatment. My childhood friend. The boy I like most in the world.

He’s “Super High-school Level Neurologist”, Yasuke Matsuda. I think.

“Oh, I see. You’re a member of that association, aren’t you. Is that why you’re so angry?”

“I...I’m not! I’m not even ugly!”

“...On second thought, you’re right. You aren’t ugly.”

My chest swelled in pride and I flashed a complacent smile. “Yep, that’s right! I even checked in my mirror just now and --”

“You’re super-ugly.”

“Super-ugly?!!”

My shock was considerable, but it didn’t take me long to recover enough to come up with a sharp response.

“L...Liar! I’m not super-ugly! If anything, I’m world-class cute!”

Matsuda-kun continued to ignore the fuss I was making, his eyes never leaving the magazine.

“I don’t care what the world thinks. Ugliness is subjective and I am free to make my own judgment”, he said, as if the matter at hand didn’t concern him at all.

“So, so, tell me where you think I’m ugly! I’ll go fix it up in surgery!”, I said in desperation. “Is it my eyes? My nose? Maybe my mouth? How about my eyebrows?”

“You forgot to mention your heart.”

“But I can’t fix my heart in surgery!”

“Is that so? Poor you. Honestly, you’re beyond help - both your face and your brain aren’t any good. I think you can have some success if you make yourself an object of sympathy, though. Go stand in front of a train station and beg for change, or something. I’m sure you’ll make lots of money.”

I dropped my shoulders, crestfallen. Then I let my hands drop towards the floor and my body droop limply. I was beaten up.

“...By the way, who are you?”

“Eh?”, I raised my head in surprise at his unexpected question.

“I can’t really tell just by the voice.”

“Are you saying you didn’t know who you were talking to until now?”

“It’s your fault. You never told me who you were.”

“I...I didn’t, but you can recognize me by my look, can’t you? See? It’s me!”

“I don’t have time to look at you”, said Matsuda-kun, still absorbed in his book. “I just got to the interesting part.”

“Don’t have time...? Isn’t that just a manga magazine?”

“So what? If you’re going to ask, ‘What’s more important? Me or the manga?’, the answer’s the same as always. It’s the manga.”

“I see! If the answer’s ‘the same as always’, that means manga was always more important to you than me! That’s cruel! I didn’t wanna know that!”

“That’s a fine observation, but please just answer the question.”

“O...Okay...”, Pressured, I took the notebook out of my backpack once more, and observed its front cover.

“Ryouko Otonashi’s Memory Notebook”. As soon as I saw that title, I remembered. I remembered my own name.

“Um... It seems my name is... Ryouko Otonashi?”

“I know only one person stupid enough to not be sure of her own name.”

“...Ah. I think you’re talking about me. Probably.”

Matsuda-kun let out a big sigh. “Huh. So you weren’t someone suspicious after all.”

“...Are you trying to say you threw that scalpel earlier because you mistook me for someone suspicious... or something?”

“Exactly. I am not the kind of person who throws sharp objects at acquaintances, after all.”

“Liar!”, I pointed my index finger straight at Matsuda-kun. “I mean, before you confirmed who I am you told me I was late and that I was too loud for an ugly person! That’s proof you knew who I was!”

Smack!

Matsuda-kun loudly snapped his manga magazine shut. He leveraged the bed’s cushion to jump up out of it, and walked briskly towards me until there was almost no distance between us.

“Eh? What? Why?”

He looked straight into my eyes. My body grew hotter by the second.

“You... remember that?”

“...Huh?”

Matsuda-kun clutched my shoulders strongly with both his hands. He pushed his face close to mine. “Do you remember me calling you ugly when you got here?”, he asked slowly.

Seeing Matsuda-kun pressing so close to me with such a serious expression on his face made my heartbeat increase tenfold. “Um... I think so? Heh heh, I guess my condition’s a little better today.”

Just as the tone of my voice started warming up, he released his hold on my shoulders and turned around to face away from me. Then, still looking away, he whispered as if talking to himself. “Is your condition really better, or is it worse...?”

“...Eh? What do you mean?”

“It’s nothing”, Masuda-kun shook his head, and began speaking in a commanding tone. “Go lie on the bed. We have to begin today’s treatment.”

With my mind still reverberating with the beats of my heart, I removed my backpack and set it aside. Then, I lay down on the bed occupied by Matsuda-kun until just a few minutes ago. As I let my body soak into the soft mat, my nose was filled with the scent of the sheets. Matsuda-kun’s scent. I sniffed his scent as I felt the remains of his body warmth engulf my body, and felt as happy as if he was lying next to me, hugging me softly --

“Hehehehehehehe”, I laughed an instinctive happy laugh. “hehehehehehe”.

“...Is something funny?”, Matsuda-kun grimaced and gave me a hard look. “I realize that’s the way dung-beetles laugh, but even though you are one, it’s just too gross. Can’t you at least try to laugh normally?”

“Hyo hyo hyo hyo hyo”

“What’s normal about that? That’s even grosser!” Shocked, Matsuda-kun rolled a trolley noisily from the center of the lab. On top of it were several complicated, important-looking machines. He pushed the trolley up to the bed, said “here we go”, and started operating one of the machines with a tense expression on his face.

I found myself staring at him work. Silky soft hair. Long almond eyes peeking through it. Long feminine eyelashes. A pointed jaw. Small pale lips. Long white fingers --

“Stop looking at me, Ugly. It’s creepy.”

...And a sharp tongue.

That’s right. That’s my Matsuda-kun. I rolled to my side and wrote a note in my notebook.

“...You don’t have to write everything down, dung-beetle.”

“But, if I don’t write it down I’d forget it all!”

Matsuda-kun let out an exaggerated sigh. “...Honestly, your brain’s like a bottomless bucket.”

A bottomless bucket. It wasn’t another one of his cruel jokes. It was true. I forget everything I see and hear after a very short time. I don’t know the reason. If I ever knew, I’ve forgotten it.

But, whatever the reason may be, my forgetfulness is not normal. Of that I’m certain.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
50 Shades Of Grey the Japanese version?

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

loquacius posted:

Seems kind of odd to me that a work produced in a country where American comics have so little cultural penetration would contain a generic-supervillain-pastiche type character. Always thought of that as a Western-comics trope. Am I off-base there?
I think Gundam is more of an anime villain pastiche. I mean, think of his name, his title, his pet's names, the fact that he has a collection of trained small monsters...

Anyhow, wow, the novel is something alright. Without the expressive character designs, music, and all-star voice acting, the tone comes off as really weird and off-putting (no criticism of the translation here.) This makes me very glad that you included all the audio and video content in your LP, orenronen, to capture the mood! Plus, the dialogue is completely saturated with meaningless ellipses. Are the scripts of the games anything like that? I vaguely remember you saying something about editing ellipses from the first game's dialogue but I might be wrong.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Well, this novel is really something. I'm not entirely sure I like the something, but it is still in the early chapters. The SHSL Neurologist hopefully has more depth to him than being a SHSL rear end in a top hat, since I'm already getting tired of that "you're ugly" routine.

Saeku posted:

Plus, the dialogue is completely saturated with meaningless ellipses. Are the scripts of the games anything like that? I vaguely remember you saying something about editing ellipses from the first game's dialogue but I might be wrong.
Japanese media really likes its ellipses-bombs, so it wouldn't surprise me if DR1 had a bunch that oren edited out for redundancy.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I honestly think it's a Japanese thing, some artifact of the language's construction. Almost everything novel-esque in Japanese that I've ever read is like that.

I mean, I'd hope it feels more natural if you read it in the original language. It's certainly quite jarring in English.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Honestly I've never been bothered by it. I don't even notice it until people start pointing it out, and even then I don't understand why it bothers people so much.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Redmark posted:

I honestly think it's a Japanese thing, some artifact of the language's construction. Almost everything novel-esque in Japanese that I've ever read is like that.

This is a sincere question and not a burn. Were you reading literary novels or light novels? I'm curious if ellipses are a "Japanese thing" or specifically a "manga/anime/game" thing. They're quite suited to express pauses in manga and games, but in novels, the're really sloppy writing, I think.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Soooo... we have a Super High-School Level Neurologist working to try and treat a girl who has extreme memory problems?

Could we assume that he's done a lot of work with memories and how they can be lost?

Goddamn this book gets more interesting as it goes on, between Junko, Kirigiri, and now this dude, it feels like all those little details from the first game that might bother the player are going to be addressed, one way or another.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Saeku posted:

This is a sincere question and not a burn. Were you reading literary novels or light novels? I'm curious if ellipses are a "Japanese thing" or specifically a "manga/anime/game" thing. They're quite suited to express pauses in manga and games, but in novels, the're really sloppy writing, I think.

As you can see, they aren't used in the novel. Not lines of them, anyway. So yeah - the long rows of ellipsis are a feature of visual mediums like manga and games, where most of the text is dialogue. Japanese literature rarely uses them, and chooses other techniques to control the rhythm of the conversation.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

orenronen posted:

“Do you remember me calling you ugly when you got here?”, he asked slowly.

[...] “Um... I think so? Heh heh, I guess my condition’s a little better today.”

[...] “Is your condition really better, or is it worse...?”

It sounds to me as if her 'treatment' is actually causing her amnesia. I have two theories: the neurologist is a member of Super High-school Level Despair, developing the technology that Junko will later use for the memory wipe, or the neurologist isn't a member of Super High-school Level Despair and Junko stole the technology, in which case Hope's Peak Academy (if it's funding this research) is a lot more alarming than I ever realised. What sort of institution uses its students for experiments like this?

Radiofreak
Feb 25, 2011

Tin Pin's a battle between SOULS!

It's like your fiery passion slams into the other guy's, like WHAM!
Welp, this is inevitably going to end in Super High-School Level Memento.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Saeku posted:

I wasn't really talking about the ellipses but the sentence structure. I don't know how to put it, but sentences usually seem to be shorter and end more abruptly, with less conjunctions and such.

I've never read any light novels, only games like this/Phoenix Wright etc. Perhaps literary novels are different. Maybe I shouldn't have said novel-esque; I can definitely see how the visual aspect would affect things. It's hard to believe that it's a writing quality thing, though, since you don't really get the same feeling from comparable works in other languages. That might just be confirmation bias though.

Redmark fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 17, 2012

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Wow, it suddenly got a bit uncomfortable in here!

slowbeef posted:

I think it's a good idea in general, but right now the commentary's too vague. It's so vague, it doesn't add anything because I don't know what the hell he's referring to half the time. I'm fine with Fedule encountering Nagito and giving his interpretation of things, but:

"Are they... are they really doing that?"
"Wow, they really are."
"I can't believe this."

Just aren't really communicating what he's thinking about it. (Those were paraphrased examples; here's some more specific stuff.)

And here's The Problem, really. I'm trying to be unintrusive... but if, in doing so, I end up being confusingly vague, then I'm really just getting more in the way.

An attempt to respond in any detail to each of the points you and everyone else has made would end in madness and shitposting, but let me say this: You've (all) got points. I think I'll make a few expansions to my lines the Nagito update and the Gundam update, and rethink the "plan" going forward.

Also:

slowbeef posted:

edit: I feel like a bit of a dick since I've done nothing but criticize you so far. I think you're both doing fine, and it's hard to compliment either one of you, since it's hard to know who's writing what. I like your editorial notes a lot, and I hope I'm not coming across as some know-it-all wannabe writer type.

The Doom/Dolittle line was very good.

I've said this before: I have seen arbitrary criticism of both this LP generally and my involvement specifically, and this is not it. You (all) are honest, well-reasoned, and informed. In fact, you're helpful. So thanks!

Finally: A clarification: There'll be editorial notes for the character introduction updates (since they're a nice obvious place to comment on speaking style), and thereafter... less, I expect.

Now let's get back to talking about Dangan Ronpa Zero. Is it me, or does Hope's Peak Academy seem to have a lot more... buildings... than before?

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Fedule posted:

Now let's get back to talking about Dangan Ronpa Zero. Is it me, or does Hope's Peak Academy seem to have a lot more... buildings... than before?

I never even realized that, but you're right. The whole Faculty bit makes sense because we get a taste of that and it's all ruined, but the rest of it is different.

I'd hazard a guess that HPA is a campus, not just a building, but I get the feeling there was an external shot that would immediately disprove any idea like that. So where are these extra buildings coming from?

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

I never even realized that, but you're right. The whole Faculty bit makes sense because we get a taste of that and it's all ruined, but the rest of it is different.

I'd hazard a guess that HPA is a campus, not just a building, but I get the feeling there was an external shot that would immediately disprove any idea like that. So where are these extra buildings coming from?
Well we don't know the timeframe yet(my guess is that this is happening during that one year of peace when Naegi was at the school) but this update did mention new built buildings and still in costruction ones so my best guess is that before this school year there was only one building(the one the students use to lock themselfs in, with the art room, library etc.) but now they started to build buildings focused on some major skills.

And yeah it looks like this novel is really going to answer all the things the first game didn't, now that we have memory stuff involved.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
That DR0 update reminded me of a post I saw in A/T some while ago by a guy whose friend had a similar memory condition. He had suffered brain damage in a car wreck, and the part of his brain that was responsible for transferring things from short-term to long-term memory wasn't working right. The description of behavior was very similar, down to the feelings of anxiety when he suddenly forgot what he was doing and the notebook he kept to remind him of important details.

Unfortunately, my long-term memory is failing me as to when it was posted, but if someone has a way of searching archives, it was a fascinating read. I just wanted to mention this because the concept seems like such a bizarre sci-fi concept that would fit in with the rest of DR's over the top craziness, but it's an actual real world thing. Sometimes truth is exactly as strange as fiction.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Nipponophile posted:

That DR0 update reminded me of a post I saw in A/T some while ago by a guy whose friend had a similar memory condition. He had suffered brain damage in a car wreck, and the part of his brain that was responsible for transferring things from short-term to long-term memory wasn't working right. The description of behavior was very similar, down to the feelings of anxiety when he suddenly forgot what he was doing and the notebook he kept to remind him of important details.

Unfortunately, my long-term memory is failing me as to when it was posted, but if someone has a way of searching archives, it was a fascinating read. I just wanted to mention this because the concept seems like such a bizarre sci-fi concept that would fit in with the rest of DR's over the top craziness, but it's an actual real world thing. Sometimes truth is exactly as strange as fiction.

Yes, this is Anterograde Amnesia and is a thing. Most people know it as "that condition that the guy from Mememto had".

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

orenronen posted:

“...Who are you going to report me to? The National Japanese Ugly People Association? That kind of organization would be guilty of discrimination just by existing.”

I can't quite decide whether that's hilariously lame or a hilarious :iceburn:

Good stuff in any case, looking forward to the next part.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

What's really weird about this chapter so far for me is that Ryouko's narrating to us in past tense; given her memory issues there's no way she could do that coherently. I suppose it would make sense if she were writing in her notebook, but she doesn't always have it out.

I don't know a lot about Japanese tenses, so maybe this isn't a problem in the original text?

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I noticed that Matsuda is probably our protagonist because he has that hair antenna that both Naegi and Hinata have.

Also Ryouko is totally this novel's SHSL ???, gotta have one always :rolleyes:

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

IceBorg posted:

I noticed that Matsuda is probably our protagonist because he has that hair antenna that both Naegi and Hinata have.

What if Ryouko isn't a student at Hope's Peak? I don't think that's necessarily been established yet. But, we might have a pretty severe case of an Unreliable Narrator here, so I expect a lot of interesting twists with DRZero.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
She is; she refers to other HPA students as her classmates in passing near the start of the chapter.

Rith posted:

It sounds to me as if her 'treatment' is actually causing her amnesia. I have two theories: the neurologist is a member of Super High-school Level Despair, developing the technology that Junko will later use for the memory wipe, or the neurologist isn't a member of Super High-school Level Despair and Junko stole the technology, in which case Hope's Peak Academy (if it's funding this research) is a lot more alarming than I ever realised. What sort of institution uses its students for experiments like this?

It might be the other way around too; Junko could have caused her memory issues as a test to see how well it works and any issues with it. Meanwhile, Matsuda's trying to figure out how to fix it or at least come up with a temporary solution or something.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rith posted:

It sounds to me as if her 'treatment' is actually causing her amnesia.
Yeah, the "is it worse?" line does seem to be suggesting that the narrator's memory was deliberately wiped.

FighterKnuckles posted:

What if Ryouko isn't a student at Hope's Peak? I don't think that's necessarily been established yet. But, we might have a pretty severe case of an Unreliable Narrator here, so I expect a lot of interesting twists with DRZero.
Well, she is wearing a Hope's Peak school uniform in that picture...

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I personally dislike the Fedule injections into the LP. I read the Fire Emblem LPs that had guests and I was kinda okay/whatever about it because FE is a more casual affair buuuttt I dunno man. I just don't need setups or jokes or in general, reactions in the middle of reading this. It's just a distraction and doesn't really add anything to it. Maybe add your own commentator's version post after orenoreo posts?

Now that's out of the way, that novel chapter is kind of uncomfortable to read. I love this boy who is abusive towards me!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Now that's out of the way, that novel chapter is kind of uncomfortable to read. I love this boy who is abusive towards me!
Yeah, this does read like something Fukawa would have written.

And it gets even better when you consider that this guy might actually be the cause of her memory loss.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

IceBorg posted:

Wait, what? I thought the person who was narrating was Fukawa. I mean, they don't use her name explicitly, but I think it's pretty clear from the fixation on ugliness and her being the only one of the previous cast to have a significance with attractive boys.

E: f;b. ^

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I had this same reaction too, but if my knowledge of amnesiac plots in novels is any good, there's definitely some awful thing that happened like him causing her amnesia which would make her hate his guts if she could only remember what it was. Since he feels so guilty about it he's trying to make her hate him anyway, despite him caring for her deep down.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
It's possible that the neurologist is just doing some not-so-innocent research on memories vs. learned emotional response.

"Ok, here, right as the first thing in your notebook "I love [SHSL Neurologist]. He's the only one who understands me and tries to help me."

Then, every day, he treats her like poo poo to see whether she eventually learns to distrust her notebook.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

melodicwaffle posted:

Wait, what? I thought the person who was narrating was Fukawa. I mean, they don't use her name explicitly, but I think it's pretty clear from the fixation on ugliness and her being the only one of the previous cast to have a significance with attractive boys.

E: f;b. ^

She sure doesn't look much like Fukawa, and it told us her name...

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Regy Rusty posted:

She sure doesn't look much like Fukawa, and it told us her name...

poo poo, sorry. I misread the title of her notebook as the title of his manga, and I thought she was just using the name of the manga's heroine to fool around with him. And I didn't assume that the girl in the picture had to be the narrator. My bad. :doh:

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
With the memory issues and how much she likes someone who hates her, it almost makes me think this actually is an early Fukawa. I know anterograde amnesia isn't the same as DID, but since Syo and Fukawa 'lose' each other's memories, the conditions are close enough for one to develop into the other if we give fiction some suspension of disbelief. There's also some similarity with Matsuda using scalpels as a weapon and Syo using scissors. And since people were wondering why Syo seemed to have Fukawa's memories, it could be because Fukawa needed to write things down to remember them and Syo read the notes. Sure, Ryouka has a different name, but maybe they messed with her memory to make her think she had a different name, and Celes had a fake name anyway. I don't think the theory's accurate, but crazier things have turned out true before.

Also, am I the only person who was expecting Gundam to be a Super-high School Level Pokemon Trainer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I think Ryouko's condition has a lot to do with the memory wipe in DR1. Junko probably based her technique on Ryouko's case, or Matsuda is working with Junko all along. She is probably the student Junko had in mind in the very beginning as well.

Ryouko does not seem alright either - she is giving me a Nagito-like vibe in that they are both overly friendly for no good reason. I am afraid there is more problems in her than the memory loss.

• Locked thread