Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The squircle fenders are part of the current GMC design language. I guess spreading them to the Chevy saves on tooling cost. Honestly at this point you wonder why GM still maintains two separate truck brands.

The HIDs in both look like bad aftermarket jobs but the GMC does integrate them somewhat better.

I would assume that buried under the "truck engine" marketing is an implicit suggestion (regardless of merit) that "truck engines" are heavier duty / longer-lasting under load, specifically to prep the battlespace against the next-gen of significantly lightened small-displacement Fords. The talk of high-revving high-HP engines in a half-ton or bigger truck sounds really misguided to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Snowdens Secret posted:

I would assume that buried under the "truck engine" marketing is an implicit suggestion (regardless of merit) that "truck engines" are heavier duty / longer-lasting under load, specifically to prep the battlespace against the next-gen of significantly lightened small-displacement Fords. The talk of high-revving high-HP engines in a half-ton or bigger truck sounds really misguided to me.

I think you're right about this. But none of Ford's V8 options are particularly high revving. All of the N/A engines make peak torque at around 4,000 RPMs and, with the exception of the V6, peak power at 5,500.

Ford has an ace up their sleeve with the EcoBoost V6. Not only do they have footage of that engine being abused long-term in racing situations with no ill effects, the drat thing probably produces more torque at a lower RPM than anything GM will offer under 6.0L. It is already within 14ft.lbs of being the highest torque engine in Ford's own lineup.

Edit: the voice of Mike Rowe talking about a Ford V6 making more torque than any GM engine probably has GM's marketing team sweating at night.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 14, 2012

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

oRenj9 posted:

I think you're right about this. But none of Ford's V8 options are particularly high revving. All of the N/A engines make peak torque at around 4,000 RPMs and, with the exception of the V6, peak power at 5,500.

Ford has an ace up their sleeve with the EcoBoost V6. Not only do they have footage of that engine being abused long-term in racing situations with no ill effects, the drat thing probably produces more torque at a lower RPM than anything GM will offer under 6.0L. It is already within 14ft.lbs of being the highest torque engine in Ford's own lineup.

Edit: the voice of Mike Rowe talking about a Ford V6 making more torque than any GM engine probably has GM's marketing team sweating at night.

Ford needs to put the gt500s 5.8sc in the f series. It makes more torque at 1000 rpm than the 6.0 makes anywhere.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

Ford needs to put the gt500s 5.8sc in the f series. It makes more torque at 1000 rpm than the 6.0 makes anywhere.

Bingo. This + standard cab + short bed = new Lightning.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

OK, so the box it comes in looks tacky...what does it really look like?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Porsche released a sneak preview of the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car. drat, I wish I could afford to race one...

Teaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uco99ZbcGM4

More detail in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8TakwDPrRI

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Oh lord. I'm beyond excited for the next GT3. I honestly fear for my wallet when they finally announce it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Bingo. This + standard cab + short bed = new Lightning.

Maybe it comes from living in Canada, but I never did understand the point of a truck without 4WD or the ability to haul large amounts of whatever. Why put up with the inherent disadvantages of a pickup with few, if any, of the clear benefits? It's a cool novelty, I suppose, but I can't imagine actually buying one.

eames
May 9, 2009

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Oh lord. I'm beyond excited for the next GT3. I honestly fear for my wallet when they finally announce it.

I'm really curious to see what transmission they are going to choose for it. PDK is really nice and definitely the future, but I'm sure a lot of the GT3 target audience doesn't want to part with the manual transmission.
Maybe the GT3 will come with the PDK and the GT3 RS with the 7-gear manual. (or the other way around)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

PT6A posted:

Maybe it comes from living in Canada, but I never did understand the point of a truck without 4WD or the ability to haul large amounts of whatever. Why put up with the inherent disadvantages of a pickup with few, if any, of the clear benefits? It's a cool novelty, I suppose, but I can't imagine actually buying one.

You used to be able to buy a 2WD truck with a bed low enough that a person of normal height could easily load heavy items from the side without having to lift them very far. Even ignoring El Camino-style truckcars, 2WD trucks just weren't hugely taller than regular passenger cars. These days (and especially with the demise domestically of actual 'compact' pickups) this is essentially impossible. An example shamelessly stolen from TTAC:

The Lightning and other lowered 'sport' trucks have compromises ('sport' suspensions tend not to be very compliant under load) but they're surprisingly useful for actual truck stuff. Lowering also reduces drag and can give better fuel economy. The beds aren't that small and many customers who stay generally on-road never see conditions requiring 4WD. It's a little silly that you can't just get, you know, a smaller truck, but that's the consequences of CAFE.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Snowdens Secret posted:

You used to be able to buy a 2WD truck with a bed low enough that a person of normal height could easily load heavy items from the side without having to lift them very far. Even ignoring El Camino-style truckcars, 2WD trucks just weren't hugely taller than regular passenger cars.
It's not just a US thing, if you see a 2wd nineties Hilux next to a 4wd one it's a huge difference.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Snowdens Secret posted:

You used to be able to buy a 2WD truck with a bed low enough that a person of normal height could easily load heavy items from the side without having to lift them very far. Even ignoring El Camino-style truckcars, 2WD trucks just weren't hugely taller than regular passenger cars. These days (and especially with the demise domestically of actual 'compact' pickups) this is essentially impossible. An example shamelessly stolen from TTAC:

I get the point, but that picture is useless for demonstrating the problem. They should have picked another angle.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
WTF Ferrari ?

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
:eek: as a design motif.

Meanwhile, Skoda continue on their quest to become Audi's budget brand with the new Octavia:

Not quite sure what the VW Group are thinking here (if Skoda becomes the sensible mainstream brand then where does VW itself fit?) but hey: Golf mechanicals in a vaguely A4-looking body with a higher spec than both and at a lower price.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Well there's the New Beetle!

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Spatule posted:

WTF Ferrari ?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Spatule posted:

WTF Ferrari ?

Nice to see that they are moving their new cars towards their uterus design language.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

InitialDave posted:

It's not just a US thing, if you see a 2wd nineties Hilux next to a 4wd one it's a huge difference.

Its still true with the modern Hilux - the 4wd is 125mm taller

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

dissss posted:

Its still true with the modern Hilux - the 4wd is 125mm taller
Yeah, but it used to be even more than that. More than 150mm, if Wikipedia isn't lying. And they look like it's even more if you ever see them near each other.

(These aren't a match year-for-year, but they illustrate it well)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Its still pretty significant when you're loading poo poo into them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PT6A posted:

People who say "I don't get it" about the Lightning just need to drive one. That will explain everything.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

People who say "I don't get it" about the Lightning just need to drive one. That will explain everything.

I think that only works if you're an American. Never heard anything positive from anywhere else in the world.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

dissss posted:

I think that only works if you're an American. Never heard anything positive from anywhere else in the world.

Was it even offered anywhere else?

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

dissss posted:

You mean that silly Top Gear review?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Was it even offered anywhere else?

I don't think officially but there are always imports.

G-Mach posted:

You mean that silly Top Gear review?

Well that was an older one with a RHD conversion (which is seldom a good thing) so I'd discount that one.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
lightnings and SRT Rams are retarded and ridiculous but so is owning anything with more than like 250 horsepower if we want to be real about it.

Down here in the great state of TX you'll see at least one 12 second lightning at every open drag night. I saw one that was heavily modified and running at least 10s. Its also pretty funny when you see a lightning towing a fox body and its a father son racing thing.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 17, 2012

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Spatule posted:

WTF Ferrari ?

I can't believe they're calling it the F-150 again. Ford sued (and won) when they tried calling their F1 car an F-150, this time they don't even have the excuse about it not being a road car.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

drgitlin posted:

I can't believe they're calling it the F-150 again. Ford sued (and won) when they tried calling their F1 car an F-150, this time they don't even have the excuse about it not being a road car.

From what I read on Autoblog, it'll be called the F150, so no hyphen. Maybe that's distinctly different enough?

Although Ford should really not get its panties in a bunch about something like this - people do not cross-shop exotic performance cars with 1/4 ton pickups, not to mention the fact that those shopping for Ferraris would probably not be caught dead driving a Ford (and vice-versa for those shopping for Ford trucks).

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
You'd think there was even less chance of someone cross-shopping a 1/4 ton pick up and an F1 car that you can't actually buy* but the Blue Oval was less convinced.

*Yes, I am aware you will at some point be able to buy one through Corsa Cliente but really, you'd have to be even more pedantic than me to point that out.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
a lot of times those lawsuits are filed because if the copyright holder doesn't actively protect their patent, they lose it. Its why the NFL sues HS football teams for infringement but then licenses their logo to them for like 1$ per year.

The difference is that ford probably does give a poo poo about Ferrari and is happy to pursue the case rather than cut a deal.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Xguard86 posted:

a lot of times those lawsuits are filed because if the copyright holder doesn't actively protect their patent, they lose it. Its why the NFL sues HS football teams for infringement but then licenses their logo to them for like 1$ per year.

Pretty much. A trademark doesn't even have to be officially registered to be defendable. As long as you can prove that it's linked to your product in the customers eyes and a infringing trademark may result in customer confusion, you have cause to take it to court.

The problem is that if you have a trademark that is associated with your product, it's up to you to decide if someone is infringing it. And if you drag it out, your ability to defend it becomes weaker and weaker.

So for a company that truly values their IP and their trademarks, they have to respond ASAP in order to put their foot down, or risk someone else gaining traction with an infringing mark.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

drgitlin posted:

What happened to calling it the F70? I thought it went F40, F50, Enzo (F60) and then they'd go back to F70?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Midniter posted:

From what I read on Autoblog, it'll be called the F150, so no hyphen. Maybe that's distinctly different enough?

Although Ford should really not get its panties in a bunch about something like this - people do not cross-shop exotic performance cars with 1/4 ton pickups, not to mention the fact that those shopping for Ferraris would probably not be caught dead driving a Ford (and vice-versa for those shopping for Ford trucks).

you'd think so, but then again, Calgary.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

davebo posted:

What happened to calling it the F70? I thought it went F40, F50, Enzo (F60) and then they'd go back to F70?

I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrrari REALLY wanted to call it the F150 to spite Ford as a celebration of the 50th anniversary of their original spiting of Ford.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Speaking of naming,

quote:

Infiniti to rebadge car, light-truck lineup under Q, QX series
Lindsay Chappell
Automotive News -- December 17, 2012

Infiniti is renaming its entire product portfolio for the 2014 model year, returning to the letter "Q" from the brand's early history for every car and "QX" for every Infiniti crossover and SUV.

Nissan Motor Co.'s luxury division is undertaking the change to prepare for a broader array of global products, said Johan de Nysschen, worldwide president of the brand.

Infiniti's current lineup of sedans, coupes and convertibles will become the Q50, Q60 and Q70.

De Nysschen came to Infiniti in July from the top post at competitor Audi of America with a mission to lift Infiniti from its Tier 2 status among global luxury brands. Audi undertook an extensive worldwide campaign to rename its model lineup in 1994.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Linedance posted:

you'd think so, but then again, Calgary.

Hey, those people aren't cross-shopping. They have one of each! There's never an actual decision between the two.

mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK
I saw a VPG MV-1 on the road today. Pretty cool if you have a wheelchair.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1204_vpg_mv_1_first_drive/

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

AdmiralViscen posted:

Infiniti Shenanigans

This actually makes sense from a marketing perspective as engine sizes are decreasing whereas John Q Public associates a higher number with newer, better. Now the guy who buys his 2014 turbo Q60 (nee G28) won't feel inferior to his neighbor with the 2012 G37.

It's just slightly more respectable than BMWs make-up-a-number system they have now. I expect Toyota to follow suit when they have to start replacing the 3.5 liter V6 in their Lexus range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emf
Aug 1, 2002

drgitlin posted:

One is the "Eff One-Fifty" and the other is the "Effe Centocinquanta." They're totally loving different, pal! :colbert: