Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I wasn't sure where to put this, but this seems good.

I came across this code reader on some weird foreign shopping site http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3145-Ford-Digital-Reader/dp/B000EW0KHW
Does anybody know anything about it, like if it just plugs into the diagnostic connector, and if so, what does the connector look like? This has potential to make my life a lot less miserable if I could find a place to get hold of one.
Admittedly I'm sorting out a list of things I need to get from the U.S. via some willing person to avoid the "OVERSEAS = $$$$$$$" or "Postage to where? Nothin outside 'murika" issues.

If this thing fits the mid '90s Aussie Fords I'm sold. As it is I only have one document on how to read back the codes. It's a tattered printout which took me ages to find online and the digital copy is lost. Also it's a pain to do the correct dance to get the computer to play ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
If that reader is like the one I have, it just shorts the self-test pin to the ground on the test connector. I found mine useless, but mine just beeps instead of having a display.
Can't you short the pins yourself and count check engine light blinks? Or do Aussie Fords not use EEC-IV electronics? The EEC-VI test connector should be either red or black, shaped like a trapezoid, and have a top row of 2 pins and bottom row of 4, plus a separate one-pin gray self-test connector. They are usually near the power relay box and have a cover labelled "EEC Test".

I snagged the Craftsman flare nut wrench set, $30 on sale. Looked like it was flexing a bit when I used one, but nothing rounded so I'm happy so far.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

ASSTASTIC posted:

Posted this on the DIY tools thread, but is there a general concensus on a good electric impact gun? Is the Harbor Freight one poo poo?

I've had one for a year or so and it's worked okay. My only problem is that it's pretty huge so it can't be used in tight places.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Sorry about the dodgy photo and timg job, but you get the idea. The funny looking pins are because I have a couple of those little blade connectors shoved on there so I don't short everything out when I try to read the codes out.

EEC-V, not EEC-IV. It's a pig of a thing to read the codes back from and I need to go through the sacred ceremony a few times and compare my morse code to make sure I got it right. I can pretty much forget the key on engine on tests too because my fragile web of wires and test lamp falls to bits when I try to start the car / get to it fast enough to read it back. I could put together something a bit more solid but I suck at getting the numbers right and would love something with a proper connector.

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

If that reader is like the one I have, it just shorts the self-test pin to the ground on the test connector. I found mine useless, but mine just beeps instead of having a display.
Can't you short the pins yourself and count check engine light blinks? Or do Aussie Fords not use EEC-IV electronics? The EEC-VI test connector should be either red or black, shaped like a trapezoid, and have a top row of 2 pins and bottom row of 4, plus a separate one-pin gray self-test connector. They are usually near the power relay box and have a cover labelled "EEC Test".

I snagged the Craftsman flare nut wrench set, $30 on sale. Looked like it was flexing a bit when I used one, but nothing rounded so I'm happy so far.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I don't think that will help you then because that reader is for MCU and EEC-IV. Summit Racing has the instructions for download
Product page
Instructions

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phone posted:

The HF electric impact is a piece of poo poo, but if you need it a few times, it's worth it.

I was absolutely impressed with it when it managed to get off the crank bolt on the 2003 Miata engine. Then I was absolutely unimpressed when it broke a week later trying to lug nuts off of a Volvo.

I bought another one to hit flywheel bolts with... I figure I have another 4 good uses out of it before it grenades on itself.

I've had one for pushing 3 years now, torn 2 cars apart with it. Still going strong.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

I would add a leatherman so you have a knife and pliers.

Yeah, I got a Wave (or maybe it's a Wave II, the box is in my car) today just for that purpose. I'm pretty pleased with my kit; I'm on an Ipad now but once I get back to my laptop I'll post pics.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I don't think that will help you then because that reader is for MCU and EEC-IV. Summit Racing has the instructions for download
Product page
Instructions

How in the everloving gently caress did I make that mistake? Must have been a hell of a brain fart. Thanks for pointing that one out.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

mod sassinator posted:

I would add a leatherman so you have a knife and pliers.

What kind of self respecting car guy doesn't already have a knife in their pocket?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

veedubfreak posted:

What kind of self respecting car guy doesn't already have a knife in their pocket?

i just keep a pile of razor blades on every work surface

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

One that lives in a country where random searches are allowed and carrying a knife is an offence?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

General_Failure posted:

One that lives in a country where random searches are allowed and carrying a knife is an offence?

For god's sake man, apply for refugee status immediately!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

General_Failure posted:

Really...carrying a pocket knife is illegal? The hell man.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Really...carrying a pocket knife is illegal? The hell man.

Apparently not if you have a valid reason.

This shitheap
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?169301-Knife-Laws-in-Australia/page2

and this South Australian document clarified it a bit for me.
http://www.sapolice.sa.gov.au/sapol/services/firearms_weapons/weapons_body_armour/faqs_weapons.jsp

But the trouble is if the officer has a bug up his arse about something s/he can essentially call BS and bust you.
There's a massive selective enforcement issue in Australia because our laws are sort of ...biblical. Everyone's a sinner in one way or another.

e: have a close read of the SA document, then decide if you ever want to visit Australia.
e the 2nd: Why the gently caress to astronomers have special mention? Midnight battles?

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 17, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

General_Failure posted:

Everyone's a sinner in one way or another.

What also confuses me, is everyone I know in Oz is scared shitless of the police, even if.. they've NEVER, EVER done anything wrong.

:australia:

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Here in Canada there's no limit on blade length, you just can't carry a knife for defence purposes and it can't be a switchblade or gravity lock. Although I'm not about to show a cop how I can lock my knife with a wrist flick or pass off a Ka-Bar as a box cutter.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Need a pickle fork (or a 3lb sledge). Any suggestions on either? HF isn't too far away for me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Phone posted:

Need a pickle fork (or a 3lb sledge). Any suggestions on either? HF isn't too far away for me.

HF is perfect for both of those. They'll be cheap at HF, so get both.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You want both. Why not rent the pickle fork from Autozone and buy a sledge from HF?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

veedubfreak posted:

I do; this Leatherman is a backup emergency tool. I usually have a Gerber, but since I've gone to a total office/desk job it's way too big to carry in my suit pocket. But the sexy little Bear Grylls compact Gerber multi I got for :10bux: at Walmart is perfect and I carry that now.

I would have thrown that into the tiny tool box but I wanted a larger pair of pliers. I've never bought Leatherman before and while I'm not enamored with the non-sliding action that Gerbers have and it doesn't, I think it'll be good for the infrequent times I would use it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Astroman posted:

I do; this Leatherman is a backup emergency tool. I usually have a Gerber, but since I've gone to a total office/desk job it's way too big to carry in my suit pocket. But the sexy little Bear Grylls compact Gerber multi I got for :10bux: at Walmart is perfect and I carry that now.

I would have thrown that into the tiny tool box but I wanted a larger pair of pliers. I've never bought Leatherman before and while I'm not enamored with the non-sliding action that Gerbers have and it doesn't, I think it'll be good for the infrequent times I would use it.

I have a box cutter in the ammo box in the back of the car. Don't want to give police any extra leverage against me.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Anyone have the Harbor Freight 12-ton press and like it (or not)? A-frame or H-? I'm Christmas shopping, will it be a bad gift?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Hi all! I'm looking for a good OBD2 scanner that I can use via Bluetooth with my iPhone 5/iPad 2. I will be getting one for my dad too. If there is one that is universally accepted here a link to amazon or other reputable online retailer it would be MUCH appreciated! My hunting on amazon doesn't seem to be too fruitful and I'd much rather take the recommendation of AI.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Anyone have the Harbor Freight 12-ton press and like it (or not)? A-frame or H-? I'm Christmas shopping, will it be a bad gift?

I have one. It's OK, typical HF maybe quality. The spacers? collars? I'm not sure what you call them, but the hollow pieces you slip in between the two sides when you bolt it together weren't all exactly the same length, so it tried to rock a bit without any tension on it. There's a lot of space in between the ram and the side beams too, and the springs are short and don't triangulate. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be that loose or not, but it freaked me out a bit. A turnbuckle or ratchet strap (like I used, I'm in Alabama so gently caress it) diagonally will tighten it on up. I've had it for about two years with no issues and have pressed in and out a number of BMW and FoMoCo bushings, as well as the odd piston wrist pin. For the price, it's very good. I'm sure the $750 one you could get from Grainger is better in every respect, but that's $625 more than I paid.

Umm, I have the H-frame, the A-frame looks like it would solve most of my issues. But they didn't have it when I bought mine.

wallaka fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 18, 2012

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I have the H frame 20 ton press, and its similar in build. I shimmed my ram platform with some nylon spacers, and I'd like to replace the junk arbor plates, but otherwise its done plenty of wheel bearings and such. For the money, and the number of times I use it, its perfectly adequate.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I actually have both the 6 ton and the 12 ton. I bought the 6 ton but it was too small to do what I needed to do, so I bought the 12 ton. Worked well to press out and back in my kin pins for my new spindles. It also did an impressive job bending the everloving poo poo out of one of my chinese made socket extensions that I was using to press out the kingpin.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Hi all! I'm looking for a good OBD2 scanner that I can use via Bluetooth with my iPhone 5/iPad 2. I will be getting one for my dad too. If there is one that is universally accepted here a link to amazon or other reputable online retailer it would be MUCH appreciated! My hunting on amazon doesn't seem to be too fruitful and I'd much rather take the recommendation of AI.

I've been happy with my Kiwi Bluetooth, but you need the WiFi version for iThings:

http://www.amazon.com/PLX-Devices-Kiwi-Wifi-Smartphone/dp/B0094DXPDS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1355842564&sr=8-3&keywords=kiwi+obd2+iphone

That sensor interface addon looks interesting.

The switch on the Kiwi is good, a lot of the generic ELM327 adaptors don't shut themselves down, so if you leave it plugged in it can drain your car battery over time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My hunting on amazon doesn't seem to be too fruitful and I'd much rather take the recommendation of AI.

That's because none of them work over bluetooth with the crippled iPhone/iPad bluetooth integration. You need to spend the bucks on a wifi version.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Somewhat Heroic posted:

It ended up being cheaper for me to get a cheap Android device and a $20 bluetooth interface than to get a wifi reader to use with iOS. Plus there's nothing in the appstore as good as Torque.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

eddiewalker posted:

It ended up being cheaper for me to get a cheap Android device and a $20 bluetooth interface than to get a wifi reader to use with iOS. Plus there's nothing in the appstore as good as Torque.

WTF Apple? This situation is just broken.

I love Torque, and even paid for the RacingMeter plugin so I can pretend I'm driving a race car.

camino
Feb 23, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

Yeah, I'm an Apple fanboy and I did the same thing. I even have a dedicated drawer in my toolbox for my Motorola Citrus, OBD2 dongle and charger.

I bought the Innovate OBD2 iPhone dongle and returned it. That thing was a piece of poo poo that wouldn't connect to anything.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Dielectric posted:

WTF Apple? This situation is just broken.

That's Apple for you - If they don't support it you clearly don't need it. See also; things like USB and flash are just "passing fads with no staying power" (paraphrasing Steve Jobs.)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My main problem with Apple is that they could address a huge number of these issues brought up by their detractors, without doing anything to alienate their main fanbase - assuming they even notice. It's nothing but a potential gain, and they refuse to do it because they're too precious about certain "principles", which for a public-traded, profit-oriented company is downright stupid.

If there is a reason I might not buy/use your product, and you can solve it (thus making a sale) without it causing anyone who currently buys/uses your product to stop doing so, loving do it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I'd love a reader that actually works with the Fairlane but their buggered Ford interface prevents that.
While I'm here does anyone know why the new indicator relay was nearly twice as long as the old one? The old one was just a 3 pronged cube. This thing sticks out a lot further. But the indicators go on and off now so no fear of being police-raped over that particular issue.

On gadgets, I don't know if it's just the Deniliquin Harvey Norman or others too, but I bought a Huawei 3G WiFi modem from there for $5 yesterday. they have a big bin of clearance poo poo. I mean my poor little original Ideos can work as a wireless WiFi modem too, but $5. Reduced from about $80. I figured it might be useful when travelling or the next time my ISP fucks up the broadband bad enough it can't be used.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll look into some of those other options more. I researched a little more and found the whole Bluetooth nonsense with Apple products. It's rather disappointing to say the least.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I bought a really cheap wifi OBD2 thing on EBay and it works great with Rev2 on my iPhone 4S.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
You know when something so obvious hits you you feel super stupid for not realizing it before?

Want a HF 20% Coupon to print out

Google Habor freight 20% coupon
Click Images
Click Search Tools
Set date as in the last 2 months
Print coupon

Couldnt imagine a faster way of finding them

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Lord Gaga posted:

You know when something so obvious hits you you feel super stupid for not realizing it before?

Want a HF 20% Coupon to print out

Google Habor freight 20% coupon
Click Images
Click Search Tools
Set date as in the last 2 months
Print coupon

Couldnt imagine a faster way of finding them
Open any car related magazine, any Sunday paper ads, or your local HF register trash can.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Sir Cornelius posted:

I don't know where you live, but from the above reply I guess the UK? Good luck breaking this £20 tool. I've tried but have so far utterly failed to do so:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/040219620

I've broken 2 of the 1/2 inch machine mart ones. One took me jumping on it and just deformed really gracefully and one took a 6 foot scaffold bar and snapped suddenly. Didn't know they did a 3/4 too - I shall upgrade! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Tomarse posted:

I've broken 2 of the 1/2 inch machine mart ones. One took me jumping on it and just deformed really gracefully and one took a 6 foot scaffold bar and snapped suddenly. Didn't know they did a 3/4 too - I shall upgrade! :)

It's a good idea. A lot of my things are bent from too much torque. I think I threw out most of my pile of shame to get rid of clutter. Even sheared the sockets off a couple of wheel crossbar spanner things undoing wheel nuts. Now I just use an impact socket, a 1/2 bar and the handle for the trolley jack, and if that doesn't give enough leverage a big bit of hardwood lashed to the jack handle.
gently caress tyre shops that use rattleguns.