Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I drove home with this from the track...about 150 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6E6X4j5Ano

Sorry for terrible lighting, that's the clutch and flywheel on the end of the crank before removing any bolts. I moneyshifted at redline in 3rd gear to 2nd while on the main straight. :downsgun: The flywheel bolts were finger tight when I pulled it off and ruined the crank bolt holes (oval at that point) and input shaft. I swapped both the engine and trans because of that little mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

DreamOn13 posted:

I drove home with this from the track...about 150 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6E6X4j5Ano

Sorry for terrible lighting, that's the clutch and flywheel on the end of the crank before removing any bolts. I moneyshifted at redline in 3rd gear to 2nd while on the main straight. :downsgun: The flywheel bolts were finger tight when I pulled it off and ruined the crank bolt holes (oval at that point) and input shaft. I swapped both the engine and trans because of that little mistake.

I almost did exactly this with one of Mid-Ohio's Acuras during their performance course. Thankfully I realized my mistake about halfway through lifting off the clutch and saved it. I was making GBS threads bricks for the rest of the lap, just waiting for an explosion that, thankfully, never came.

How did you manage to even drive that thing home?

Edit: And yes I am a good person and let them know what happened. No issues with the car.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 12, 2012

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm technically still paying for not getting the waterpump done when I first bought my 1994 Miata. poo poo engine Fatcow gave to me (to be fair, it was another goon's car before Fatcow got it). :saddowns:

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So looking to do suspension on the miata next year.
Im looking at Koni Race with GC coil overs and 700/450 springs.
In the same price range are PSS9s and FM V-Maxx XXtreme coilovers. Also FCMs are about 30% more. Goals are set up aiming towards track driving.
What are opensions, is it worth waiting and saving for the FCMs? Or should I consider the VMaxes or PSS9s over the Koni Race set up? I tried looking on m.net but its m.net.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Konis/GC hands down. PSS9s are aimed at being street driven, the v-maxx stuff sounds a little too xxxttreeeme for my taste.

Edit: oooh! yeah those xidas are nice

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 12, 2012

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Sadi posted:

In the same price range are PSS9s and FM V-Maxx XXtreme coilovers. Also FCMs are about 30% more. Goals are set up aiming towards track driving.
What are opensions, is it worth waiting and saving for the FCMs? Or should I consider the VMaxes or PSS9s over the Koni Race set up? I tried looking on m.net but its m.net.

Save for Xida CS. Just save your money.

Buy something used from miataturbo if need be.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Sadi posted:

I switched from Koni Races to Xidas. You really want to spend the extra money for Xidas.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I just had Bilstein Sports and H&R race's on my 01 Miata and I loved them. I guess ignorance is probably bliss as I've never had a proper ($$$) coilover setup :)

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Phone posted:

Save for Xida CS. Just save your money.

Buy something used from miataturbo if need be.

I assume you are talking about the "Club Sport" not the "Coilover system" right? Because I could see saving for the Club Sport, how ever holy balls the coilover system is expensive. More than I paid for my car.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dave Inc. posted:

How did you manage to even drive that thing home?

It made a pretty nasty sound on decel, similar to a tractor or something, but otherwise seemed fine. I drove it one more time to my buddy's place to let him hear it and we figured something was up with the clutch/flywheel and I drove back home. About 1/4 mile from home I lost the clutch altogether and the ability to switch gears. Then it started bogging down really bad (ring gear was machining the bell housing at this point from more bolts letting go I'd guess). I pressed on in 2nd gear and made it back the rest of the way home and found that when I dropped the trans. I'm just glad it didn't come loose at a higher speed and cut my legs off. :ohdear:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Sadi posted:

More than I paid for my car.

Wait, that's a bad thing? ....poo poo

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

poo poo, the car was the cheapest part.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FatCow posted:

Wait, that's a bad thing? ....poo poo

The 6 Million Dollar Corvette Miata.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
My e30 was $300, I had to get over the "these sway bars cost more than the whole car!" thing pretty quickly.

It gets easier :)

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

c355n4 posted:

poo poo, the car was the cheapest part.

+1. The car is the bucket in which all of your cool toys go.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Just got back from my first ever track event. It was a Miatas-only HPDE at Thunderhill. It was raining all day after the first run and was cold as hell. My passenger window regulator decided that THAT loving MORNING was the perfect time to quit working so I had to pull the window out in the paddock. I had a loving blast and I would do it all again.

I spent the morning sessions learning the track and getting used to the car with an instructor. The afternoon was spent solo on a colder, wetter track. I did pretty drat well considering my skill level, the weather, and too-tight suspension. Even with all that I was one of the best runners in the beginner group. Big ups to the Yokohama S-Drives, they stuck like glue.

There were a number of spinouts and some nice off-track wheel tracks, as you'd imagine, but there was only one semi-serious off-track excursion and it required a winching out of the weeds after turn 3 and the car came in on it's own.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/chiba_man/100_4166_zps0abc03c7.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/chiba_man/100_4203_zps2a5b5d3f.jpg

EDIT: Part 2;

After-event dinner was great too. The Thunderhill CEO Dave Vodden came in to Casa Ramos and gave everyone a track sticker and a shot of tequila! There was like 60 people there! And then he sits right across from us at the table I was at and tries to seriously/jokingly sell us his two track Miatas and just generally be a cool rear end dude. The whole event was basically a birthday celebration for the BAMD head Kaitlyn and she didn't want some frozen Wal-mart cake so Jim at Thunderhill made the drat good cakes and took them to the restaurant. So one of the running jokes for the night was that the premier bakery in Willows, CA is Thunderhill loving raceway.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 17, 2012

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
Has anybody here ever owned a go kart? An opportunity came up for me to get a good deal on one and I was wondering about the logistics and cost of storing and transporting it.

Or basically, is it worth it? I live in Southern California and I think there are a couple places within a couple hours drive that have tracks.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You can run them at autocross and race on real race tracks. There are a few people locally that run an F125 cart at autocross, and just hearing stuff second-hand...

- Tires are super cheap
- Engine rebuild every 10 hours
- Bodywork may require more than a few zipties
- You'll need somebody to push start you if you spin out and stall

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
We had a guy show up with a Legends car to autocross once. It was based off some sportbike engine and transmission (I want to say Yamaha R1) so it had no reverse.

Savage little beast but he needed a marshal to push him backward from a curb spin-out a few times.

Dinky as gently caress. An original Austin Mini was also there and seemed to tower over it.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Comrade Flynn posted:

Not sure if this counts, but got back from the Nurburgring last week. Probably one of the best experiences of my life.

Ended up blasting down the autobahn in an Opel Corsa which I maxed out at 180km/h.

Rented the "Stage 3 Suzuki" which was stripped interior with Recaros and on R888s. Also, it was pink.

Did you get to work with Dale?

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Phone posted:

You can run them at autocross and race on real race tracks. There are a few people locally that run an F125 cart at autocross, and just hearing stuff second-hand...

- Tires are super cheap
- Engine rebuild every 10 hours
- Bodywork may require more than a few zipties
- You'll need somebody to push start you if you spin out and stall

It's all a matter of what you would be running in place of the kart.

The Sonoma charges $40 for half a day of track time. The other kart track is $350 a year.
I pay $300+ for two hours of time with my car.

I priced a set of kart tires at $250.
My MINI's tires are $650 a set, Porsche $1200.

I have no idea how much a kart engine service costs, but it can't be more than a car engine overhaul.

Brakes, fluids, other consumables... on and on.

I think it's fair to say karting is cheaper. Again, how much cheaper is based on what you run and how often.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I looked at karts as an option before picking up the Miata. If I had more tracks within a 4 hour drive I would have a kart in the garage right now instead of a Miata.

Tires are cheap, track time is cheap, racing (non-top level competitive) is cheap. You can buy a year or two old kart for $5k or so. If the rebuilds are anything like other two strokes it's $3-500.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
As far as I know, an engine rebuild on those karts are replace the piston ring, replace seals, maybe the main bearing, and check valves. Since it's a single cylinder, everything is dead simple.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
So how bad of an idea is a Mk3 supra for a lemons car? Found a roller locally with removed motors and trans for a song.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
It's not the worst idea, but it doesn't fit either extreme. The lemons dream is the worst cars ever made, turned into floats, rolling around a track. You get extra bonus points for not caring, having too much fun, being whacky, and driving the craziest thing possible. A mk3 supra isn't weird, or whacky at all. It isn't all that competitive either. You won't be one of the boring fast cars (e30,miata,ect).

I think you would be happier going to one of the extremes either way. Something more whacky or something more competitive (read lighter, adding lightness is the best way to make a fast crap-can).

Or you could just put a really unique crazy motor in it...

parid fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 21, 2012

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
My personal interest is to have fun and get into wheel to wheel cheap. One of my friends going in with us really wants to win. Im pretty un decided still. I want rear wheel drive, because its what I know. Seems like the real right choice for reliable cheap fast rwd is e30 or maita.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you want cheap, fast, and legal: 2nd Gen Integra. Shitload of parts, light on fuel and decently quick.

Or do the obnoxious thing and claim that an SW20 MR2 with a Camry V6 making 270hp is a $500 car.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Phone posted:

Or do the obnoxious thing and claim that an SW20 MR2 with a Camry V6 making 270hp is a $500 car.

drat that car was so much faster than anything else at the track when we were at Road America. 10 seconds better on fastest lap of the day.

In track day and chump car related news here is out in progress, needing a ton of work chump.

Pretty sure it's going to end up pink because they keep referring to it as Malibu barbie. We installed a Danmar 2 post (10k lb) lift in the other stall yesterday to make everything easier. Seats, harnesses, helmets, bushings and maintenance items are on the way now. Deciding what we are going to do for a cage then suspension and stuff while I'm in WI for a bit. First race is Road America April 20-21.

In my track Miata news not much, sold a bike to fund the build. Joining Mazdaspeed shortly and ordering all the suspension and brake stuff as well as all fluids. Still trying to decide what I'm doing for a cage, trying out a couple seats next week.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 22, 2012

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Did you see the flames that shot out the back of the Biohazard MR2 on downshifts? Their venturi was actually functional.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Popped my tow hook on https://www.dropbox.com/s/2qytoctfg5qek4d/2013-01-14_15-51-50_367.jpg

Ready to track it next month

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Few more months before our season starts out here. :(

The other race car is almost done. Just a few small things to button up.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I managed to break my tow vehicle and haven't even begun to work on the Miata. Season starts in about a month.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Laguna Seca next Monday, who's in? :getin:

http://www.ncracing.org/events.php

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.
So jealous of you southerners and your never ending track season... though with a nice long Michigan winter I can save up for summer and work on my cars.

I've been doing HPDEs in my 370Z for the last few years and started building a SpecZ car out of a friend's wrecked 350Z for this year. I'm almost sad to be planning for SpecZ since I've been having so much fun working on it and it was pretty nicely modded before he put it in a tire wall at Mid-Ohio. Supposed to be finishing up an E30 for Chump/LeMons but no one seems to have time to work on it.

For some reason I never thought to look at AI for a racing thread. :V

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Figured this is the best place to ask: I need a new helmet. What are you running and why do you like it?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

the spyder posted:

Figured this is the best place to ask: I need a new helmet. What are you running and why do you like it?

HJC AR-10. It wasn't expensive because it was a closeout SA2005, but I've been pretty happy with it. How much do you want to spend? Everyone is raving about Stilos these days, especially for endurance racing because you can get integrated drinks tubes and headphones/mics, but you have to pay for the privilege.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

HJC AR10. None of the cheaper ones fit me, this fits like a glove. All the others killed my forehead after a minute or two.

SpellEdge
Sep 14, 2007
Atk:13 Add: Don't Act

sig11 posted:

So jealous of you southerners and your never ending track season... though with a nice long Michigan winter I can save up for summer and work on my cars.

I've been doing HPDEs in my 370Z for the last few years and started building a SpecZ car out of a friend's wrecked 350Z for this year. I'm almost sad to be planning for SpecZ since I've been having so much fun working on it and it was pretty nicely modded before he put it in a tire wall at Mid-Ohio. Supposed to be finishing up an E30 for Chump/LeMons but no one seems to have time to work on it.

I'll be at mid-ohio 5/19 for babby's first HPDE, can't wait!

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

sig11 posted:

There has to be a couple organizations that run ice races during the winter in Michigan. You can buy a cheap econobox and keep your driving skills sharp in the offseason. In Wisconsin there are Rallyx, wheel to wheel, and circle track races going on. Last year I used a $300 Sentra for rallyX. It's a great way to learn car control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.

the spyder posted:

I love my Bell M4. It was about $400 from a local shop here and it's as comfortable as any I've tried.

SpellEdge posted:

I'll be at mid-ohio 5/19 for babby's first HPDE, can't wait!
Awesome! What club? I run mostly with 3Balls Racing and NASA but have hit a few BMWCCA and PCA event too.

G-Mach posted:

There has to be a couple organizations that run ice races during the winter in Michigan.
That does look like fun. I will have to look into that for next winter. I've just been making trips to the local indoor kart track whenever I have time... that and we took a trip to Road Atlanta the first weekend of December.