Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The combination of the "Daytime" indication in the top-right of the UI and the night-vision goggles hopefully means Night Time related shenanigans for later on.

Mikan's voice is a bit annoying, but she seems all right if a bit...is clingy the word? Ibuki is really entertaining though. I guess she's more of a pop star type of musician (less traditional) compared to Maizono. You said there's an OST; do either of them have their own music? :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I admit my knowledge of various medical professions is a fairly layman one, but just for curiosity's sake wouldn't someone with "SHSL" Nurse qualifications have the skills necessary for several medical fields that require a doctorate? I'm in no way trying to nitpick, I'm just honestly curious for argument's sake.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Huh, I never would have figured Ibuki for a K-ON reference with a punk look like that.

quote:

And yeah, she's got the best sprites so far, I think.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Huh, I'm enjoying Ibuki a lot.

I wonder if her appearance was in part a Super Street Fighter 4 reference.

In SSF4, Capcom added several characters that weren't present in SF4 vanilla, including Ibuki (Ninja, present in the Street Fighter 3 games) and a new character named Juri, who has art rather similar to Ibuki's here (or at least the hair things).

FAKE edit: I was going to yell at Oren for posting all of the updates at the last minute while I'm preparing for an organic chemistry final, but Mikan likes her isopropanol (CH3CHOHCH3), so I guess it's relevant.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Most of the characters introduced so far seem very difficult to try to converse with.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So... what exactly is "light music" anyway? Like, smooth jazz or what? :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Pinocchiobuki is the best Ibuki.

And not really a fan of Mikan so far - she seems to be like the worst parts of Chihiro. I suppose that could change, and I just get a vibe from her that she might do something heroic in the story. Then watch as I turn out to be wrong and she ends up being a devious murderer.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I feel like the special talents are a lot more functionally useful this time around though that could be easily subject to change.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Well SHSL Light Music sure put a sizeable dent in the theory that these people have been chosen for their vital skills in surviving after the downfall of civilization.

On the other hand, the more I see of these weirdoes, the more I'm convinced that the actual entrance criteria for this island vacation was that you have to be powerfully insane. :catstare:

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

loquacius posted:

As you may or may not know, Japan is very serious about their high-school clubs. "Light Music" is what they call a music club that isn't more "serious" - you have your orchestral club, your classical music club, maybe a traditional Japanese music club, and then a light music club.

In practice it usually means they play pop or light rock, although any genre of modern commercial music is applicable.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I really like Ibukis design and personality. She's referring to herself in third person though? I guess we'll get one hope shard from every person for free.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
God, I knew Mikan was going to drive me up the wall. That particular character type always does. Oh, well!

Is a Light Music Club like a Glee Club? I realize you might not have wanted to translate it that way, since that's kind of a loaded term (especially with the television show), but that's the first thing I thought of. EDIT: Explained while I was posting. (Plus a guitarist would be a weird thing to have in a Glee Club anyway.)

Also: not-Naegi is actually irritating and upsetting people under the guise of helpfulness. Is he doing that on purpose or is he an idiot? (I'm leaning towards "on purpose" right now but that's just because I'm a suspicious jerk.)

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 18, 2012

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I admit my knowledge of various medical professions is a fairly layman one, but just for curiosity's sake wouldn't someone with "SHSL" Nurse qualifications have the skills necessary for several medical fields that require a doctorate? I'm in no way trying to nitpick, I'm just honestly curious for argument's sake.
:science: Although the basic knowledge involved in most medical fields overlaps a lot, the specific knowledge needed for each one diverges depending on exactly what the person in question does(a radiologist, a lab tech, a nurse, and a doctor are all going to need specific training for each field) - hell, even what counts as a "nurse" and the scope of duties involved depends on the certification(LPN vs RN).

For practical purposes, Mikan is probably just really good at doing what most people think of as nurse things. Although so far she seems more like SHSL Social Anxiety.

loquacius posted:

It's pretty much pop/rock music, in this context. Technically it's supposed to be orchestral stuff, but I've never see it used like that in a :japan: context.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Huh, so those Monobear items and the Golden Coins are back? Do you still find them by poking around the environments or are they earned some other way?

quote:

Ah, so that's where the Celes influence I was looking for went. AK-ONagi huh?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I really hate to kick off the translation talk again, but would it be possible to peg her to a specific instrument? I realize "Light Music Club" is a pretty blatant reference, but it's another one of those things that just doesn't come out right, whereas something like "Guitarist" would carry the same connotations, but trade the reference for a lot of readability. Obviously, if she does everything it wouldn't fit well, but from what we know of her personality so far Guitarist seems like it would be a perfect fit. Punk Rocker might also be a good choice, if her genre fits, since it goes well with the costume. Or maybe I'm just nitpicking and everyone else is fine with it, I dunno! I would like to see the translation notes between you two on that one, though, because I get the feeling Fedule probably had some similar things to say about it. :v:

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I believe nursing is a very different profession from doctoring. Her training and approach would be different.

Wait, why am I trying to apply reality to this game?

Mikan pissed me off at first ("Oh God, she's a SHSL Moe") but her insecure personality is so over the top that I have to laugh. I'm expecting that Dangan Ronpa 2 does something exciting with her. Ok, maybe I'm just hoping they mock that stupid "adorably helpless" stereotype here, but I'm looking forward to more of her.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

I really hate to kick off the translation talk again, but would it be possible to peg her to a specific instrument? I realize "Light Music Club" is a pretty blatant reference, but it's another one of those things that just doesn't come out right, whereas something like "Guitarist" would carry the same connotations, but trade the reference for a lot of readability. Obviously, if she does everything it wouldn't fit well, but from what we know of her personality so far Guitarist seems like it would be a perfect fit. Punk Rocker might also be a good choice, if her genre fits, since it goes well with the costume. Or maybe I'm just nitpicking and everyone else is fine with it, I dunno! I would like to see the translation notes between you two on that one, though, because I get the feeling Fedule probably had some similar things to say about it. :v:

Honestly, the actual title doesn't come up very often in the text, so it won't be much of a bother. I agree it doesn't quite work in English (I've seen her refered to as an SHSL Musician elsewhere on the web), but this is one of the only cases I think the reference has to win over the readabiliy of two or three conversations.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Mikan disturbs me. I probably shouldn't scrutinizing her behavior so much, but that line about her not having permission to laugh makes me think she doesn't come from the happiest of households. I don't know, maybe I'm just melodramatic.

Mioda troubles me too. The energy she gives off is a bit excessive for me. I think at least some of it is fake. I can never know with a game like this, though.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
No, he's pretty right. I've gone to a nursing college before, and they have a ton of training, just for a general LVN. someone who is SHSL, and theoretically capable in all the different fields, would need some baller qualifications.

Omni Dragoon
Dec 18, 2012

Did you see that, Shinji?!
Ibuki seems like a great character so far, and I really enjoyed her "FKMT" sprite. Mikan seems all right but overly sensitive. I wonder if there will be a female character that's similar to Maizono, in terms of being the protagonist's female interest. I kind of doubt it, though.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Would "Glee Club" be a western equivalent to "Light Music Club"?

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Iunnrais posted:

We had a guitar club at my school, which basically was just five guys that met at one of their houses for a jam session every so often. That's what I immediately thought of. :shobon:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

She kinda reminds me of Jughead.
I'm hoping we get some more depth to these characters because "Hyperactive" and "timid apologetic" are pretty boring if that's all there is too these characters.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think the thread at large was misreading Ibuki's design when we pegged her as a punk girl earlier. Like, we parsed her as a generic punk type, but with the bubbly personality, the high levels of enthusiasm, and her particular taste in music they were probably going for more of a raver/nightclub-goer type look.

Iunnrais posted:

My understanding of glee clubs is that they're usually largely a choral group (maybe with some piano accompaniment), but the context here seems to be more instrumental than that (not completely, though). The equivalent is probably closer to what my high school called "jazz combos" despite their relative improbability of choosing to play jazz music. I guess I was IN a light music club in high school and I didn't even know it! :v:

loquacius fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 18, 2012

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
From the looks of her, Mikan cuts her own hair which is kind of more disturbing than her bandaged appearance; she's got a *worse* bandaged personality.

...Does Ibuki have a *huge* loving scar on her leg in the official character art or is that a stitch in her --No, holy crap, that's a scar alright. Wonder if that has anythign to do with her solo career jumpstarting...

All in all I think this is part of what's making the designs work better in DR2; while you sort of got this from certain DR1 characters, the designs here are telling you more of a story about the character than before (As much as I love the guy, for example Ishimaru in DR1's image gave away alot of his general behavior and manner, but you didn't really learn anything about how off the deep end he is until talking with him.) We're still having to learn about the characters by talking to them, but the designs are hinting at more to the characters in conjunction with what's being said.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Pretty sure it's either drawn on or a tattoo. Kinda fits with the rest of her image.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Pretty much all the characters in DR1 had some hidden depths when we talked to them at length. I'm sure it'll be the same for these guys after we give them some time to do something beyond basic introductions. I'm sure even Mikan'll open up later. After all, Chihri had some pretty interesting hidden depths.

I pretty much assumed Ibuki would be a punk rocker from her look. Glad I'm not too far off the mark. She seems like she'll be a fun character to interact with, at least, from the diversity of her reactions and portraits shown so far.

I don't know why, but I feel like Hinata and the SHSL Physician are cut from the same branch. They sorta sound similar in a way, minus the constant insults.

Neat to see Monobear make his first appearance, even if it's just a background machine. Certainly not ominous or anything.

And every time I see the world map, I can't help but think all the other students should be following you there, like silly old TV show credits.

EDIT: Someone was asking about the academy's building, but consider this image from the intro and how many separate buildings there already are. I don't think the novel expanded much on it.

HGH fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 18, 2012

Madz
May 3, 2012
The nurse girl's manerisms and poses reminds me A LOT of Fukawa.

Also...anyone else feeling that DR2 is being a bit too heavy handed on the zanyness of it's characters...? I feel like the characters exagerations are way way above the level the DR1 ones were...

Balqis
Sep 5, 2011

Wait - she's a K-On reference? Ahahahaha Forums User Pork Lift eventually infects every LP I love and whole dear.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

e: Eh nevermind I guess both work.

Catsworth fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 18, 2012

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I would probably get strange stares from saying that, but I think Mikan is like a blend of Fukawa (in that she is probably quite screwed up) and Ishimaru (well meaning but has zero social skills). She will probably live through the first chapter to show off her skill as a nurse though.

As for Ibuki... well, at least she is more friendly than Gundam.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The DR1 parallels continue with Mikan basically being a less antagonistic Fukawa and Ibuki sharing Celes' talent of occasionally being Akagi.

I really hope for more from Ibuki, both because what's presented so far is annoying and because wasting a talented actress like Ami Koshimizu on a loving K-on joke is a crime.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Captain Bravo posted:

No, he's pretty right. I've gone to a nursing college before, and they have a ton of training, just for a general LVN. someone who is SHSL, and theoretically capable in all the different fields, would need some baller qualifications.
There are some pretty baller highschoolers in the world. And isn't that what this is about? Collecting all the awesome highschool students and putting them under one roof?

I feel like conversing with Mikan and Ibuki is going to be very difficult. Mikan may seem meek, but her social anxiety and clingy nature seem to dominate the conversation, and Ibuki's optimism either seems unfounded or forced. All that said, I'm looking forward to see how they develop.

Omni Dragoon
Dec 18, 2012

Did you see that, Shinji?!
There's still time for them to develop. Unlike DR1, the main plot hasn't been revealed in DR2 yet, so they don't have any kind of "motives". They're basically just kids stuck on a deserted island right now, without being told to kill each other or anything. I personally want to see more of Ibuki's character, as well as Gundam.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Mulderman posted:

I'm hoping we get some more depth to these characters because "Hyperactive" and "timid apologetic" are pretty boring if that's all there is too these characters.

I don't really foresee that being a problem (and can't wait to find out what makes all of these guys tick). I mean, just look at nice guy Nagito:

orenronen posted:

Just think... even a little cut could slowly get more and more infected, until you die... all because you offended Tsumiki-san.

:stare:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

orenronen posted:

Just like Schubert and Bach and Edison and Van Gogh and Pele and Senna... a gifted musician!

I never thought I'd see the day...where our Brazillian heroes would be mentioned in Dangan Ronpa - sure, she mistook their careers but still!

Ah, it fills me with nationalistic pride and joy! (we oughta have a brazillian flag smilie for moments like this! :v: )

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 18, 2012

mangoman321
Apr 10, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the joke with Ibuki's introduction clip that she is using her own name as a reference for how to spell it (aka which kanji to use)? I believe it is a thing when it is unclear which kanji your name uses in its spelling to reference a common word that uses that kanji to make it clear. Like if you had a 'san', you'd say it's the san from 'ichi, ni, san'. But Ibuki is using her own name as the reference, making the whole thing totally pointless and rather silly.

That said, I still think the whole punk girl design she's got going on is awesome, but if she's just a walking K-On reference I don't think she's in the running for my favorite character anymore. Guess we will have to see how she develops. Nurse girl, on the other hand, is in the running for least favorite, so long as she keeps up the chronic shyness thing she's got going on.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

mangoman321 posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the joke with Ibuki's introduction clip that she is using her own name as a reference for how to spell it (aka which kanji to use)? I believe it is a thing when it is unclear which kanji your name uses in its spelling to reference a common word that uses that kanji to make it clear. Like if you had a 'san', you'd say it's the san from 'ichi, ni, san'. But Ibuki is using her own name as the reference, making the whole thing totally pointless and rather silly.

Yes, that's exactly what the original joke is.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mulderman posted:

It's just the first chapter. Their characters aren't established yet.

orenronen posted:

Yes, that's exactly what the original joke is.
I really didn't get that from the translation. Wouldn't "'Ibu', like 'Ibuki etc'" work better?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Xander77 posted:

I really didn't get that from the translation. Wouldn't "'Ibu', like 'Ibuki etc'" work better?

Well, we don't have the same problem in English, do we? And she's not talking to us over a bad telephone connection, where western people sometimes use a similar method.

I was going to put this in my translation notes wrap-up, but in a nutshell: This is one of those jokes that just won't translate for cultural reasons, but we had the meta-reason not to change it too much because it's a spoken line we provide a recording of. What's left is a nonsensical self-introduction that works with Ibuki's personality, even if it doesn't quite translate the original joke.

• Locked thread