Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

Crosspost from the game thread: here's a browser based game in the style of Scorched Earth I'm working on using javascript/html5. It seems to work best in chrome. Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

Very nice, quick bug report though. Ubuntu Firefox the emp (I guess anyway, it was an AI which used it) causes massive slowdown on my system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

This is nothing too fancy, but I just made a small userscript that highlights posts by people in your buddy list:

I wrote the same thing for SALR for Chrome while back, but I don't use that anymore, so I decided to write it again as a stand-alone userscript.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Orzo posted:

I'm working on a Zelda-styled game in C# using SlimDX, using temp art from Link to the Past. Anyway here's a screenshot from my level editor.

And here's the last video I took of some really basic scripting functionality I just added to the game. I'm using Lua for scripting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2-hrGtpeGs

I'm keeping a fairly detailed development log complete with even the most trivial updates and some code examples, videos of me using the editor and playing the game, etc. http://superobelisk.blogspot.com
Hey Orzo, any chance this code is available to peek at, open source (or otherwise)? I'm curious about it because it seems pretty close to a base set of tools I was likely to implement myself. I totally understand if you'd rather not share it, but thought I'd ask.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

mnd posted:

Hey Orzo, any chance this code is available to peek at, open source (or otherwise)? I'm curious about it because it seems pretty close to a base set of tools I was likely to implement myself. I totally understand if you'd rather not share it, but thought I'd ask.
Sure thing. Is there some way I can get in contact with you, PM or email?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Dirty Frank posted:

Very nice, quick bug report though. Ubuntu Firefox the emp (I guess anyway, it was an AI which used it) causes massive slowdown on my system.

Damnit, a friend of mine reported the same issue with Firefox with their system and yet it works just fine on mine, which makes it a pain to debug :(
Maybe I can think of a more efficient way to achieve the same effect. I just wish I could reproduce it on my system.

Luminous posted:

This is really cool so far. I like the controls, although it'd be nice if the angle and power settings were remembered between turns instead of going direct into mouse control.

Seconding the multiplayer suggestion as a priority, even before more weapons and defenses.

This is just so cool.

Thanks, not sure what you mean here though. Do you just want the option to repeat the last shot? Usually I want to make a slight adjustment to the last shot.

pokeyman posted:

This is very cool.

When it's my turn, the aiming thing (protractor?) doesn't appear until I move my mouse. If it appeared once it was my turn, that'd be a great indicator that it is indeed my turn.

nthing multiplayer. socket.io is probably the right place to start, and probably the right place to stop too.

Good point on the protractor, I'll fix that.

As for the multiplayer, I'll look into that. Socket.IO doesn't look too complicated but the issue of course is reworking the game engine to incorporate it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

HappyHippo posted:

Thanks, not sure what you mean here though. Do you just want the option to repeat the last shot? Usually I want to make a slight adjustment to the last shot.

I don't know if this is what he meant, but I do usually want to make a slight adjustment but I don't remember exactly what my last settings were.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Looks cool.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

Damnit, a friend of mine reported the same issue with Firefox with their system and yet it works just fine on mine, which makes it a pain to debug :(
Maybe I can think of a more efficient way to achieve the same effect. I just wish I could reproduce it on my system.
If anyone else is using Ubuntu maybe they can confirm it happens, then you could set up a vm. I'll see how chrome handles it on the same system tomorrow and report back.

HappyHippo posted:

I found myself wanting this too. Basically at the end of a round often its me and an AI both with shields and only small missiles, so we're just pinging each other, I have exactly the correct trajectory/strength and just want to repeat last shot a few times to finish him off.

The game is cool I spent way to much time playing with it.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know if this is what he meant, but I do usually want to make a slight adjustment but I don't remember exactly what my last settings were.

You can see what your last settings were in the top right corner :)

Dirty Frank posted:

If anyone else is using Ubuntu maybe they can confirm it happens, then you could set up a vm. I'll see how chrome handles it on the same system tomorrow and report back.

I found myself wanting this too. Basically at the end of a round often its me and an AI both with shields and only small missiles, so we're just pinging each other, I have exactly the correct trajectory/strength and just want to repeat last shot a few times to finish him off.

The game is cool I spent way to much time playing with it.

This guy was using Windows so I don't know what the deal is there. As for the last shot, I think defaulting to the protractor is best but maybe I'll add a "Repeat last shot" option.

Thanks, it is somewhat addictive (just like scorched earth, man I played that a lot back in the day).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

HappyHippo posted:

:monocle:

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

HappyHippo posted:

Ya, this was basically it. I would prefer that the settings are active on the controls themselves, but at least there is the information. Thanks for pointing that out!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

You should definitely check out Pocket Tanks if you are looking for suggestions for improvement.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

HappyHippo posted:

This guy was using Windows so I don't know what the deal is there. As for the last shot, I think defaulting to the protractor is best but maybe I'll add a "Repeat last shot" option.

Thanks, it is somewhat addictive (just like scorched earth, man I played that a lot back in the day).

I sunk a lot of time into that game, back when the world was new. The problem is, smack-talking was at least half the fun, and it's hard to get a really good smack roll going in text chat.

Edit: Also, this one-hitter quitter stuff is no fun, the power of the weapons needs to be scaled way back.

Edit 2: Can you share the math you used to calculate the AI shots. I've had some problems with that in the past.

Centripetal Horse fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 20, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I could use some feedback on the app sore icon I'm working on. I realize it isn't precisely a screenshot, but - "game media"?

Note that the smaller icons lose the noisy detail, because the prototyping template I made this through does all of them via downscaling. For final art, I would by-hand export each one with appropriate noise resolution, meaning they should be more consistent with the top level. I think that will also help with how the lines get more distorted, the smaller it goes.

My biggest concern is the gradient border. Normally, I hate gradients, and avoid them in any layout work I do. But, it was already in the PSD as the flaming background, and snipped into a border, it adds that sense of "they're in a safe spot in the middle of a forest fire", eh... opinions?

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Shalinor posted:

My biggest concern is the gradient border. Normally, I hate gradients, and avoid them in any layout work I do. But, it was already in the PSD as the flaming background, and snipped into a border, it adds that sense of "they're in a safe spot in the middle of a forest fire", eh... opinions?

Or, a sense of impending doom, as the characters are trapped with no means of egress. Seriously, it looks uncomfortable to me. The art is nice, but that scene looks claustrophobia-inducing.

Edit: Maybe it would be better if the characters looked obviously happy or hopeful. With the firey border, I see defeat in the characters' expressions.

Edit 2: Yeah, that's definitely part of the problem. The cat looks like it is fearfully huddling up to the fireman for saving.

Centripetal Horse fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 20, 2012

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Shalinor posted:

I could use some feedback on the app sore icon I'm working on. I realize it isn't precisely a screenshot, but - "game media"?

Note that the smaller icons lose the noisy detail, because the prototyping template I made this through does all of them via downscaling. For final art, I would by-hand export each one with appropriate noise resolution, meaning they should be more consistent with the top level. I think that will also help with how the lines get more distorted, the smaller it goes.

Even though your icon is "blocky", you still have way too much detail to render well at the 57px and smaller icon sizes. I know you mentioned you'll tweak, but I generally have a second set of artwork for those. I'd tone down the gradient on all surfaces and up the contrast on the planes in everything non-retina and anything under 100px.

The border looks like a weird picture frame, and does not read to me as fire. It seems a bit out of place with your "looks flat but it's actually gradients" planes. I'd lose it or make it solid / subtle gradient to match rest.

That said, that artwork is phenomenal. Very, very well done.

In a strange coincidence, my 78 year old dad has recently become obsessed with me developing a fire-fighter themed game idea he had. He's rather shocked that I didn't take his rough idea and crank out a best selling app in my spare time over the last couple weeks...

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Centripetal Horse posted:

I sunk a lot of time into that game, back when the world was new. The problem is, smack-talking was at least half the fun, and it's hard to get a really good smack roll going in text chat.

Edit: Also, this one-hitter quitter stuff is no fun, the power of the weapons needs to be scaled way back.

Edit 2: Can you share the math you used to calculate the AI shots. I've had some problems with that in the past.

The basic idea is that the shot is a parabola. The physics of a particle under gravity is that the equations are: x(t) = vx0 t and y(t) = (a/2) t2+vy0 t + c, where a is the acceleration due to gravity and v0 is the initial velocity. You can combine these to find a parabola in space (y as a function of x, eliminating time). You have two points, your tank and the target, and a parabola requires three points, so the equation is underdetermined. I just pick an angle (essentially the third data point) and then find the power. For wind, the key insight is that the situation can be made like simple gravity if you rotate it. If you look at the actual source file the code that aims for the AI starts is in a function called aiFire, which isn't too complicated.

If that's not clear enough just ask

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

HappyHippo posted:

If that's not clear enough just ask

Haha, no, it's clear, because it's exactly the solution I've used in the past: pick an angle, then figure the power. I always assumed my solution sucked due to my ignorance of the math involved. Thanks for answering.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Lumpy posted:

That said, that artwork is phenomenal. Very, very well done.
Glad to hear! But, the icon art isn't me. I'm doing the in-game stuff, but the icon art is all Folmer Kelly, one of the goon gamedev artists in here (the one that did Irrupt).

He did an awesome poster I posted earlier, and this is me seeing if I can use that art for the icon too.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Shalinor posted:

I'm pretty sure that the lorem ipsum on that template should be the new de facto standard.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

This guy was using Windows so I don't know what the deal is there.

Well it works fine in Chrome, so its not a hardware issue at least.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Shalinor posted:

I really don't like that border, but I'm not sure why. I just think the icon would look better on my phone screen without it. If you really wanted to keep it, maybe it would look better thinner?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

prolecat posted:

I really don't like that border, but I'm not sure why. I just think the icon would look better on my phone screen without it. If you really wanted to keep it, maybe it would look better thinner?
Nah, the border is gone. So is the noise, and the contrast is better, etc. The border was bad for a lot of reasons, but most notably, gradiants just do not scale well, ever.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Crossposting from the making games thread, hope that's fine...click on the screenshot for a video. Added some more advanced scripting and collision handling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYoh11HDkRY

Related blog post here

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I've posted about TubeRacer before, but I've picked it up again recently.

Spent a lot of time working on the visuals, including giving a lot more feedback so you don't have to glance at the UI for too long to get an idea of what's happening. So, when you get hit, the tube flashes red. When you're health is lower, it's less green (more red/purpleish). And the faster you go, the bluer it gets.

Try it out here: http://xerol.org/h/dl/1067/tuberacer_1_99.rar

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Roflex posted:

I've played this a number of times and keep wondering what it would be like in first person.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Oh yeah Screenshot Saturday happened the other day. Here's a thing I made.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
I may have too much time on my hands. I put together a Twitter frontend to search for butthurt kids complaining they didn't get an iPad for Christmas and queue up their tweets, and then a backend to have a timed release of retweeting them. Would have done the retweeting automatically but I don't yet have the NLP technology to detect the sarcasm the search terms pick up :v:

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
@fart has been retweeting these for like 24 hours straight and it's loving beautiful.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Shalinor posted:

I feel that if you gave the border a more beveled edge it would be better. Right now it looks too flat.

The icon looks pretty otherwise :)

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

i barely GNU her! posted:

I may have too much time on my hands. I put together a Twitter frontend to search for butthurt kids complaining they didn't get an iPad for Christmas and queue up their tweets, and then a backend to have a timed release of retweeting them. Would have done the retweeting automatically but I don't yet have the NLP technology to detect the sarcasm the search terms pick up :v:

See, this... this is why technology exists. Please put together a "best of" for us.

deck
Jul 13, 2006

MSMQ, rise from your grave.

fcbarros
Mar 28, 2011

Roflex posted:

Spent a lot of time working on the visuals, including giving a lot more feedback so you don't have to glance at the UI for too long to get an idea of what's happening. So, when you get hit, the tube flashes red. When you're health is lower, it's less green (more red/purpleish). And the faster you go, the bluer it gets.

Try it out here: http://xerol.org/h/dl/1067/tuberacer_1_99.rar

Very nice indeed, good work, I am just adapting to the playing style.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
since it seems like mockups are something people are interested in, figured I'd post up this balsamiq mockup (see attached)

In magic: the gathering, people put together "cubes" of a few hundred cards or so, and draft them with friends. A lot of the fun is building a balanced cube that has a lot of things to that players can see and go after.

Talking about cube lists is mostly done by tossing back and forth people's hand-made google docs or text list of card names, and that's kind of annoying.

As an excuse to learn http://angularjs.org/ I've been building up some tools for the specific purpose of compare two cubes and seeing what's the difference. The nuance comes from everyone organizing their lists differently, and that means supporting things like "Card X just costs White mana, but it's only played in White/Blue decks, so it should be in the White/Blue section"

below is a representation of the differences in the Black section of the official Magic Online cube versions 1 and 2. Reading articles like this are often the most interesting way to see the changes since there's, but a tool like this can be a helpful "just the facts" view.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Screenshot Saturday, yeah?

Made it so windows can smoothly resize when they need to, as you can see the window at the top-right do when it overflows.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Always really interesting to see your progress. I pointed a bunch of my students at your blog as well, who found it a good read.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Made it so I can connect levels in the level editor, video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcua5osTXv8

Related blog post here

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Murodese posted:

Always really interesting to see your progress. I pointed a bunch of my students at your blog as well, who found it a good read.

Really? Wow, that's amazing. Maybe I should write slightly more sensible stuff if people are actually reading it.

Contains Acetone
Aug 22, 2004
DROP IN ANY US MAILBOX, POST PAID BY SECUR-A-KEY

Contains Acetone fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Just discovered Blur's py3dsMax, and jumped at the chance to have real OOP in my day to day stuff, so I ported my old interface:

to PyQT:

Finally I've got a dynamic preview window that updates with optional accessories and roof/frame color selections. I had given up on implementing it in Maxscript because of poor support for image operations. It's really...novel...to not have to code my own [poorly performing] compositing routines and blend modes.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 3, 2013