Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The real question is why with so many redundant powers in MP they haven't implemented either Slam or Defense Drone. Are they saving them for a rainy day or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Also N7 probably doesn't recruit people named xXxSNIPER420xXx that are 12 years old and shout at team mates for 'kill stealing' and decide to lay on the floor and bleed out instead of using medigel right when you're about to retrieve information critical to the war effort.

edit: you could go on all day with this but I'll stop because you get the idea :)

more edit: Also how the hell can every single shop on the Citadel be Shepherd's favourite shop on the Citadel? Shepherd's a dick.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 18, 2012

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Ehh, I suppose when the entire galaxy is at stake, the Alliance will take whatever it can get :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

The real question is why with so many redundant powers in MP they haven't implemented either Slam or Defense Drone. Are they saving them for a rainy day or something?

Defense Drone sucks, but I have no idea about Slam. They haven't used Defensive Matrix either, even though it would have made more sense than Fortification for GethSol.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
So I'm coming back to the game with free time over the holiday. A lot has changed! Is this list from the OP still a fairly accurate representation of the weapon hierarchy?

I played a couple of matches last night and got a nasty surprise from an invulnerable dark cloud chasing me around the map. Thankfully, the team was very understanding and was nice enough to pick my dumb rear end up every time I'd walk around a corner into it.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Burning Mustache posted:

Ehh, I suppose when the entire galaxy is at stake, the Alliance will take whatever it can get :v:

You fuckin' noob, you stole my kill and I'm trying to get the fuckin' Guardian kill 'cheevo you goddamn fuckin' killstealing noob *spends the rest of the battle at the LZ sulking* *Earth gets blown up*

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Beach posted:

So I'm coming back to the game with free time over the holiday. A lot has changed! Is this list from the OP still a fairly accurate representation of the weapon hierarchy?

I played a couple of matches last night and got a nasty surprise from an invulnerable dark cloud chasing me around the map. Thankfully, the team was very understanding and was nice enough to pick my dumb rear end up every time I'd walk around a corner into it.

That hazard map is the worst, I did pretty much the same thing when I started playing again.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

exquisite tea posted:

I seem to recall a Bioware dev saying Slam wouldn't work in MP for whatever reason. What I'd really like to see is Flare from the Omega DLC. :unsmigghh:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Beach posted:

The Acolyte is a lot better now that it doesn't have to charge, but basically.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Beach posted:

Kind of.

There have been a couple of boosts to some guns that probably shifted them into a different category.

The Eagle isn't the useless piece of junk it used to be, it's basically a decent SMG for your pistol slot.

The Acolyte doesn't need to be charged anymore and is a pretty good shield stripper (and stagger machine) now.

The Black Widow is the single best sniper rifle for actual sniping purposes (i.e. Infiltrators).

The Sabre was buffed recently but it still doesn't really know what it wants to be (right now it's kind of an un-scoped semi-auto sniper rifle for your AR slot).

In general, the Harrier is still king of ARs (although the lighter ones such as the Phaeston or even Vindicator have their use for caster classes), the Hurricane is the unquestionably superior SMG and there is literally no reason to use any SMG but that if you have one (especially now that SMG ULMs work), and with the shotguns it's down to personal preference. Claymore, Reegar, Piranha, Crusader, Wraith, Raider and GPS are all excellent but serve kind of different roles and their range / spread / capacity differences basically come down to your playstyle.

Quote-Unquote posted:

You fuckin' noob, you stole my kill and I'm trying to get the fuckin' Guardian kill 'cheevo you goddamn fuckin' killstealing noob *spends the rest of the battle at the LZ sulking* *Earth gets blown up*

You realize this is exactly how this would play out if ME happened in real life, yes? :I

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

That hazard map is the worst, I did pretty much the same thing when I started playing again.

It's really hard to see with a thermal scope or hunter vision on as well since you're trained to ignore anything that's not highlighted. I played a game a while back where I accidentally pissed that swarm off constantly with a thermal scoped BW, half the time just because the bullet when through a guy and into the swarm.

Cheap Vodka posted:

I seem to recall a Bioware dev saying Slam wouldn't work in MP for whatever reason. What I'd really like to see is Flare from the Omega DLC. :unsmigghh:

Slam is unused because it only works on unshielded guys and they don't want to add another pull to the game or do a singularity style overhaul. Defense matrix has some balance issue as well.

Elotana posted:

The Acolyte is a lot better now that it doesn't have to charge, but basically.

This, but I'll also add that any of the guns that don't come from a DLC are currently bugged in a good way; you can use any of the mods that add weight and the weight penalty won't actually be applied in game. If you use ultralight materials on any of your guns it will apply the correct penalty to all your guns though. This is really good for snipers and shotguns since they have the best added weight mods.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

precision posted:

Even better. Warp, Lash, Cluster Grenades. Fantastic set of powers imo

Gahh, grenades. I suck at grenade classes. I either use too many (and have to run around trying to get more instead of shootin' dudes) or too few.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Beach posted:

With the new-ish High-Velocity Barrel, some of the low-damage, high ROF have become more viable. Harrier still has the best damage output, even at I or II, but the Phaeston, Collector AR, GPR, and Argus are all great, if properly modded for armor reduction and reliable headshots. The Mattock is still fantastic too, as long as you hate the tendons in your hand.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

Something about the Mattock sound effect is just so drat satisfying.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LogicNinja posted:

Gahh, grenades. I suck at grenade classes. I either use too many (and have to run around trying to get more instead of shootin' dudes) or too few.

BatAdept is almost a straight upgrade of Drell Adept. Warp isn't as good as Reave but Lash is infinitely better than Pull because it can detonate, it does (some) damage to Armor, you can fling Abominations into your teammates' faces.

I'm thinking 6/6/6/4/4 and actually taking Grenade Capacity for once. Equip a level V Grenade gear, use Warp and a Grenade to kill all the things.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

precision posted:

BatAdept is almost a straight upgrade of Drell Adept.
The downgrade from Warp < Reave is way more important than the improvement of Lash > Pull

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Elotana posted:

The downgrade from Warp < Reave is way more important than the improvement of Lash > Pull

Warp *does* give bigger biotic explosions (and Expose), but I've soured on Lash--it's pretty unreliable--and the Drell gets movement speed and Reave (hits multiple targets, instant so undodgeable, gives DR). Shields ain't no thang with an Acolyte anyway.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Has anyone heard if they'll release any new maps, or is this pretty much what we get? I seem to remember a lot of places in game that would make fun mp maps (Rannoch anyone?).

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Has anyone heard if they'll release any new maps, or is this pretty much what we get? I seem to remember a lot of places in game that would make fun mp maps (Rannoch anyone?).

No they haven't said anything. If they do another DLC there will be maps but I think hazard versions of the DLC maps may be more likely then new maps. They never announce this sort of thing until just before it's ready to go out so it'll be January at the soonest since we still have classes from the last DLC waiting to come out.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

I'm seriously impressed at the amount of content they have put out for this, considering everyone expected Mass Effect multiplayer to be some kind of bastard child of the main game. I'm guessing as long as those gear packs keep printing money they will keep adding more stuff.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

I seem to remember a lot of places in game that would make fun mp maps (Rannoch anyone?).

They've kind of already done that. One on Rannoch itself hasn't been done, but Hydra's assets were taken from a scrapped quarian mission, and they've hit every other Council race homeworld with the other DLC maps. Also, with 13 maps and 6 hazard variants, we're not exactly hurting for choice here. A couple last ones to make it an even 15 or 16 might be nice, though. To say nothing of some more creative hazards on other maps; I love Hazard Reactor for its teamkill potential on Bronze, but White and Dagger are just so :effort:.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Beach posted:

I'm seriously impressed at the amount of content they have put out for this, considering everyone expected Mass Effect multiplayer to be some kind of bastard child of the main game. I'm guessing as long as those gear packs keep printing money they will keep adding more stuff.

How many people actually buy those? I mean you only need 3 rounds on silver to get a PSP.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Cheap Vodka posted:

Asari Mercenary Adept. Flare, Biotic Orbs, Cluster Grenades. Totally not broken!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm not to familiar with the lore but, why haven't we had a quarian adept?

We have nearly every race with an adept now, seems odd they don't have one.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
December 18, 2012

There will be no balance updates for the next 3 weeks due to the Christmas holidays

Two new packs added to the store:
- Reserves Pack - for players who want character unlocks and upgrades
- Arsenal Pack - for players who want weapon unlocks and upgrades

Unlocking Volus Protector Vanguard and challenge
Unlocking Batarian Slasher Adept and challenge
Unlocking Drell Assassin Infiltrator and challenge

All hazard maps are now unlocked for the Christmas holidays

Acolyte Pistol
- Reverting pistol to original state before the attempted rocket glitch fix since the change
did not curb the use of the glitch

Sabotage Power
- Base cooldown decreased from 14 to 10 seconds
- Base backfire damage decreased 300 to 250

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Beach posted:

Something about the Mattock sound effect is just so drat satisfying.

It was even better in ME3 when you could get 100% battlefield slowdown with adrenaline rush. It sounded like it would tear the heads off your enemies.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Wow. Really nice changes there.

REALLY nice changes!

How much are those new packs, by the way?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
The Volus Vanguard AND the Drell Infiltrator. Nice.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

UnknownMercenary posted:

December 18, 2012

There will be no balance updates for the next 3 weeks due to the Christmas holidays

Acolyte Pistol
- Reverting pistol to original state before the attempted rocket glitch fix since the change

Sabotage Power

Holy gently caress, this is a big update. Guess I know what I'm doing for the holidays. I thought the glitch was long gone though, I haven't run into people using it since.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

UnknownMercenary posted:

Acolyte Pistol

Thanks for nothin', hackers! :mad:

A much better nerf for the acolyte would be to halve its damage but double the shield/barrier multiplier.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 18, 2012

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

UnknownMercenary posted:

December 18, 2012

Acolyte Pistol

Sabotage Power

Haha, wow. Just dump everything left in our laps. I like it. That Reserves Pack is gonna be big for my friend who wants a Fury, and the Arsenal Pack should be drat nice for people tilting at the ultra-rares. (Now if only there was a Silver Gear Pack. :argh:) And all hazard maps? So I can have Hazard Reactor again? Yay! :allears:

E: I was gonna go finish Omega again on one of my characters, but gently caress it, I gotta get me some space-monies to check this poo poo out.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 18, 2012

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ok that is loving awesome, I know what I'm doing for the rest of the day then.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well poo poo, that sure is an update :stare:

I don't mind the Acolyte change, I was getting bored of using it anyway. Now it should properly fit as a utility weapon, not an auto-carry-on-every-class.

I hope the new weapon packs have a decent chance of an UR (they won't).

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Alteisen posted:

So I'm not to familiar with the lore but, why haven't we had a quarian adept?

We have nearly every race with an adept now, seems odd they don't have one.

Biotics are created when exposed to dust-form eezo in-utero, and only 10% of such cases result in a biotic. Quarian suits render even exposure immensely rare, and the fact that they all live on ships mean that an accident severe enough to spread eezo would also likely be an accident that would kill everyone on-board the ship. Even experiments to try and make quarian biotics would be massively unlikely since eezo is such a precious resource. All these things mean that lore-wise it would just be really, really unjustifiably dumb. I think it would be interesting from a gameplay perspective, but yeah - only so far they can stretch. Even volus are more logical, what with the lore about them being a super-rich banker species that can afford the best power armour and most cutting-edge tech available.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

UnknownMercenary posted:

Acolyte Pistol

That was never going to last.

I don't care about how effective it is or isn't, I just can't wait to get my hands on the Volguard.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Felinoid posted:

and the Arsenal Pack should be drat nice for people tilting at the ultra-rares.

They're not actually. I've got all gold and below weapons maxed, and all I got from ~800,000 worth of Arsenal Packs were the new characters and gold consumables.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

precision posted:

Well poo poo, that sure is an update :stare:

I don't mind the Acolyte change, I was getting bored of using it anyway. Now it should properly fit as a utility weapon, not an auto-carry-on-every-class.

I hope the new weapon packs have a decent chance of an UR (they won't).

The in-game text says the same thing as a PSP so it's probably the same chance.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978
Wait - does that mean they're going back to the charging mechanic on the acolyte?

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

REALLY nice changes!

Indeed- Santa came early this year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

REALLY nice changes!

99,000 each.

• Locked thread