Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

OK, my plan just re-upped for the month and my speeds are back. My data usage last month, according to CM (which I don't know if it splits wi-fi out from 3/4g or not), was 1.7GB. I never streamed or tethered. If this happens again during this month I'm done with Straight Talk. I had 2G speeds for about a week, which is just dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Boris Galerkin posted:

Ok, looks like that's what I'll do. Can I order nano SIM cards from them or will I need to cut my own?

Fake edit: it seems the two gsm versions of the iPhone only really matter for LTE if I'm reading this right, and it doesn't look like I can get LTE from a prepaid service anyway.

No idea why no one else is responding to you, but you'll have to cut your own. They only offer mini (regular) and micro (like the 4S) sim cards currently.

Yeah, no LTE so it doesn't really matter what 5 you get. They should all work on AT&T HSPA+. If I were you I would probably try to get the AT&T 5 just because who knows maybe someday they'll have prepaid LTE, but that is an incredibly unimportant reason. There is also the fact the AT&T one will work on ST even if it's locked though. So either an AT&T, Verizon, or completely unlocked one should be fine.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ShaneB posted:

OK, my plan just re-upped for the month and my speeds are back. My data usage last month, according to CM (which I don't know if it splits wi-fi out from 3/4g or not), was 1.7GB. I never streamed or tethered. If this happens again during this month I'm done with Straight Talk. I had 2G speeds for about a week, which is just dumb.

There isn't just the mystery 2gb limit. There is also the mystery hundreds of mbs per day limit. Some say if you're on pace to go well over 2gb for several days in a row, you will get throttled. A call to Straight Talk usually clears this up. Some also say removing the proxy from the APN will avoid being throttled.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

There isn't just the mystery 2gb limit. There is also the mystery hundreds of mbs per day limit. Some say if you're on pace to go well over 2gb for several days in a row, you will get throttled. A call to Straight Talk usually clears this up. Some also say removing the proxy from the APN will avoid being throttled.

This also seems to happen only to those using AT&T on Straight Talk. Supposedly, AT&T charges them more while T-Mobile does not.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.
Okay, so I got my Nexus 4 the other day, which I am a giant fan of, and I signed up for T-Mobile's prepaid plan. I had no idea that their prepaid plans do not have "call forwarding" available as a feature, which means that I cannot use Google Voice as my voicemail service, which bugs the hell out of me. Is there any work-around to this? I tried googling, but it doesn't seem like there is unless I port my number to Google Voice.

But I don't want to port my number to Google Voice just yet, because I text a lot (yes, I do talk a lot too), and I don't want to cause any confusion by accidentally texting from my phone's number rather than my GV number. Also, I read that it doesn't support MMS? I mean, whenever I send pictures, I typically do it through email, but I still have a lot of friends, family, and coworkers who use MMS regularly, so that's something I can't give up yet.

I looked through the list on the OP, I'm starting to use data more often (looking at 2-2.5gb a month), so are there any other prepaid plans that offer more than 2gb of data per month? According to the OP it doesn't seem like it. I don't want to go back to a post-paid plan, but it looks like I need to. :smith:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

I don't run with the proxy at all, but putting it back did nothing. I also called Straight Talk, they claimed there was no throttle on my account. I assume they straight-up lied to me. Their "support" was all fairly clearly overseas, which (perhaps xenophobically) never fills me with much hope.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I just activated my AT&T Straight Talk card on my Nexus 4. Speeds are way better than Sprint (lol Sprint) but I can't get a good reading with the Speedtest App. It says I've got 5kbps down 1200kbps down, even though downloads are snappy. Oh well, it's still awesome.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

BathroomTile posted:

Okay, so I got my Nexus 4 the other day, which I am a giant fan of, and I signed up for T-Mobile's prepaid plan. I had no idea that their prepaid plans do not have "call forwarding" available as a feature, which means that I cannot use Google Voice as my voicemail service, which bugs the hell out of me. Is there any work-around to this? I tried googling, but it doesn't seem like there is unless I port my number to Google Voice.

But I don't want to port my number to Google Voice just yet, because I text a lot (yes, I do talk a lot too), and I don't want to cause any confusion by accidentally texting from my phone's number rather than my GV number. Also, I read that it doesn't support MMS? I mean, whenever I send pictures, I typically do it through email, but I still have a lot of friends, family, and coworkers who use MMS regularly, so that's something I can't give up yet.

When you text from Google Voice it comes from your GV number. You are correct that MMS does not work. However, I've discovered that I don't miss MMS at all because there are literally dozens of other ways to share pictures with people.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

plester1 posted:

When you text from Google Voice it comes from your GV number. You are correct that MMS does not work. However, I've discovered that I don't miss MMS at all because there are literally dozens of other ways to share pictures with people.

Can you text from the texting app instead of the Google Voice app?

Also, my favorite feature of Google Voice is being able to text from the GV page on my desktop browser. I don't have great cell service at work, so its really convenient.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

FogHelmut posted:

Also, my favorite feature of Google Voice is being able to text from the GV page on my desktop browser. I don't have great cell service at work, so its really convenient.

You can text from the texting app, but it will appear as if coming from your "real number", not your GV number.

You should totally install the Chrome extension, then you can just text from that and not even bother having the page open. Super convenient.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

FogHelmut posted:

How do you remove the proxy? AT&T Straight Talk user here on (unlocked) iPhone 5.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

I just activated my AT&T Straight Talk card on my Nexus 4. Speeds are way better than Sprint (lol Sprint) but I can't get a good reading with the Speedtest App. It says I've got 5kbps down 1200kbps down, even though downloads are snappy. Oh well, it's still awesome.

Same experience I had, I just assume now that the speedtest app is broken because I have been using the phone for about a week and on the cellular network it seems fine.

e: I am slightly confused and hoping to avoid calling ST. I bought a att sim and the $45 unlimited plan, so it was like $60 to get my sim. When I got the sim it told me to start my service and charged for $50 for the month. Is this how it works or did I gently caress something up and do this wrong?

e2: I talked to ST and they just forgot to send me my aircard and just added the 45 onto my account. Good stuff.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 14, 2012

Stalling Grad
Feb 3, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Once you have their gv fake number saved, you can text natively from the text app to their gv number. Trick is to have them text you first, save their number.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Stalling Grad posted:

Once you have their gv fake number saved, you can text natively from the text app to their gv number. Trick is to have them text you first, save their number.

I would almost encourage use of whatsapp or something similar in this case instead (WA is based off phone number).

At least until GV allows for mms type messages.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

BathroomTile posted:

I looked through the list on the OP, I'm starting to use data more often (looking at 2-2.5gb a month), so are there any other prepaid plans that offer more than 2gb of data per month? According to the OP it doesn't seem like it. I don't want to go back to a post-paid plan, but it looks like I need to. :smith:

Call TMobile and ask them to disable your voicemail. Then GV will pick up your calls. And I highly recommend porting to GV and picking up an Obi for home use. Its a beautiful thing. 100 minutes is very manageable as you use the Obi at home..although I do have a work phone that I use for most on the go calls.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
For the T-mo $30 100 minute plan, which refill card do you select on Callingmart's dropdown?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="410583234"]
For the T-mo $30 100 minute plan, which refill card do you select on Callingmart's dropdown?

I've been buying this one for the wife and I.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

hotsauce posted:

And I highly recommend porting to GV and picking up an Obi for home use.

Checking back in after having the obi for a couple weeks. It works great, I created a new google voice number for it then promptly set that number to do not disturb. This way no one can ever call our obi but we can make unlimited free out going calls. If someone wants to reach me/us they have to call the cells, then we might optionally call back on obi.

Obi so far is 100% what they promised, a no hassle land line.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I placed an order with the Straight Talk website and the order page gave me an error about certificates when I submitted my credit card info :psyduck: and the next page was an error page.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

How long does it take T-mobile to turn off Web Guard once you put in the request?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Try restarting your phone, I think it might be DNS-based blocking so a reboot ought to clear the cache.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

StraightTalk has sent me 4 emails over the past 4-5 days acknowledging my monthly payment, along with 3 texts. This company is driving me crazy lately...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just got an email from StraightTalk saying my order was canceled without a specified reason. Half an hour later of calling and getting the wrong department and people who couldn't help me, I finally found someone who told me that my order was canceled because the billing and shipping address (both in the US) were different and that there was nothing he could do about it. His suggestion? Use the same address. Well, gee, no I can't do that. So gently caress StraightTalk I guess.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I was wondering about this, so here is my charges for my first month of Straight Talk:

Unlimited $45.00
Discounts and Credits $0.00
Tax1 $4.28
E911 Fee2 $0.95
Federal Universal Service3 $0.68
Regulatory Cost Recovery4 $0.09

Final Purchase Amount $51.00

Not quite $45 in the end :smith:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Delta-Wye posted:

I was wondering about this, so here is my charges for my first month of Straight Talk:

Unlimited $45.00
Tax1 $4.28
E911 Fee2 $0.95

Do you not have auto-payment? Also if you use Google Voice, just put your address someplace with cheap taxes. I live in Chicago but use a Cleveland-based number, and just have it forward from Google Voice.

Prepay drops it down to like 42.50:

Subtotal $42.50
Discounts and Credits $2.50
Tax1 $3.29
E911 Fee2 $0.24
Federal Universal Service3 $0.64
Regulatory Cost Recovery4 $0.08
Final Purchase Amount $46.75

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

Unlimited $45.00
Tax1 $4.28
E911 Fee2 $0.95

even at 51/month, you're paying about 18 less than what I pay on sprint atm (with 25% GE discount). And about half what a new individual plan on verizon costs.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

ShaneB posted:

StraightTalk has sent me 4 emails over the past 4-5 days acknowledging my monthly payment, along with 3 texts. This company is driving me crazy lately...

I've got a daily text for the last 4 days confirming my payment. I'm new to straittalk, is this normal?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Do you not have auto-payment? Also if you use Google Voice, just put your address someplace with cheap taxes. I live in Chicago but use a Cleveland-based number, and just have it forward from Google Voice.

Prepay drops it down to like 42.50:

Subtotal $42.50
Discounts and Credits $2.50
Tax1 $3.29
E911 Fee2 $0.24
Federal Universal Service3 $0.64
Regulatory Cost Recovery4 $0.08
Final Purchase Amount $46.75

Well poo poo.

Nebraska has the highest cellphone tax in the US at 23.69%. This $45/mo bill doesn't look like it'll be much cheaper. I'll probably end up paying about $60/mo, only saving me $20 from Sprint.

Ah well. Still may be worth it. I'll definitely put autopay on though.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Delta-Wye posted:

Unlimited $45.00
Tax1 $4.28
E911 Fee2 $0.95

Maybe it's because my number is based in Indiana but I just buy the StraightTalk cards off walmart.com with an Oregon shipping address (so sales tax is 0%) and pay exactly $45 every month.

e: according to this page Indiana tax is 15.1% but as far as I can tell, I'm not paying it.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 17, 2012

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Would there be any goons in Sterling, IL on AT&T towers posting up here? My friend lives way out there, and his workplace is literally 3 blocks out of the range of 3g on the coverage map. Are the maps rough estimates, or could are they that cut and dry?

He really wants the Nexus 4, and he gets 3g everywhere but his workplace so it's a major decision for him.

Forgot to clarify, he's on Straight Talk. He can't really switch to a CDMA provider that has guaranteed coverage because good Android phones cost an arm and a leg unsubsidized. Come on, Google, make a CDMA Nexus 4!!! (yeah right)

Cromlech fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 18, 2012

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I currently have an android Droid 2 on a Verizon plan which has expired, and I'm thinking of going prepaid. I use very little online stuff, GPS occasionally, check weather and email, that sort of thing, barely text, and probably talk about 400-500 minutes a month. The phone is a piece of poo poo that crashes all the time. Living in the Fairfax-DC area, and not planning to go head out into the wilderness all that often, what would be a good plan/phone combo to use? I see that Smart Talk has $45 plans with unlimited (2 gigabytes before it shits out) data, texting, and calling, but is there something a little cheaper that would fit my use? What phone should I be looking at, considering I use few apps, but still want access to weather, email, that one something awful app, along with a web browser? How would I transfer my information from my current phone to another? This is my first time swapping out phones so I'm a little confused how all this works and I can't determine which would be the best bang for my buck based on the OP and what I can find online.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I currently have an android Droid 2 on a Verizon plan which has expired, and I'm thinking of going prepaid. I use very little online stuff, GPS occasionally, check weather and email, that sort of thing, barely text, and probably talk about 400-500 minutes a month. The phone is a piece of poo poo that crashes all the time. Living in the Fairfax-DC area, and not planning to go head out into the wilderness all that often, what would be a good plan/phone combo to use? I see that Smart Talk has $45 plans with unlimited (2 gigabytes before it shits out) data, texting, and calling, but is there something a little cheaper that would fit my use? What phone should I be looking at, considering I use few apps, but still want access to weather, email, that one something awful app, along with a web browser? How would I transfer my information from my current phone to another? This is my first time swapping out phones so I'm a little confused how all this works and I can't determine which would be the best bang for my buck based on the OP and what I can find online.

If you use gmail, all your contacts can easily be synced.

How much do you talk? if it's under 100/month, tmobiles plan is $30.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tedronai66 posted:

If you use gmail, all your contacts can easily be synced.

How much do you talk? if it's under 100/month, tmobiles plan is $30.

Around 200-300 minutes a month. Also I do use gmail, but I wasn't sure if things were tied to the phone or that, thanks.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Around 200-300 minutes a month. Also I do use gmail, but I wasn't sure if things were tied to the phone or that, thanks.

You can make sure your contacts are synced by going to Setting/Accounts/your account/sync (i havent used android in a year or so), or just gmail contacts.

SmartTalk/Solavei/whatever else would probably be better than tmobile's $30 plan.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
Does anyone know if you can use the one v on the cheap virgin mobile plan, or have a list of compatible phones? Is it just all the not-wimax ones?

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
So I'm in the rear end end of Maine and I was wondering about TMo coverage. Their coverage map only lists 2g coverage data wise for my area and I was curious, since AT&T towers are nearby with 3g coverage if I would be able to roam on their network with data if I do the $30 100/unlimited plan.

If data roaming isn't included in that then obviously it won't work, but I'm not really a big fan of straight talk and I'm just looking at my other options.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Mr Newsman posted:

So I'm in the rear end end of Maine and I was wondering about TMo coverage. Their coverage map only lists 2g coverage data wise for my area and I was curious, since AT&T towers are nearby with 3g coverage if I would be able to roam on their network with data if I do the $30 100/unlimited plan.

If data roaming isn't included in that then obviously it won't work, but I'm not really a big fan of straight talk and I'm just looking at my other options.

No you only roam voice/text on AT&T with a T-Mobile pre-paid account.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

200-300 is still only $40-$50 per month, if you use much data the $30 TMO might be better than straight talk. Also it seems that straight talk charges some of the extra taxes on fees while TMO does not. TMO might be $30 and Straight talk might be 55+ with taxes.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If you're nickel and diming it, you should never have to spend more than $28.50 for a month of T-Mobile. If you count credit card rewards points using a credit card through PapPal there's another 28 cents back :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

savesthedayrocks posted:

I've got a daily text for the last 4 days confirming my payment. I'm new to straittalk, is this normal?

No. And it's driving me up the wall.

• Locked thread