Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parsleyc
Sep 28, 2007

Galg posted:

I also used a gmail address. When the site was loading earlier today it said "login failed" when I tried to login. I tried the forgotten password option to try to reset my password but the link in the email didn't work.

I used the site pretty much daily so it shouldn't have been due to inactivity. I just assume it was because I never paid for VIP.

I had similar problems logging in using my normal browser (Firefox). Chrome seems to work fine though. Weird!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

parsleyc posted:

I had similar problems logging in using my normal browser (Firefox). Chrome seems to work fine though. Weird!

Interesting, can you login through IE? I don't have Chrome, but IE fails the same as Firefox for me.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Looks like NZBs.org is gone, hopefully short-term.

Edit: Nevermind, works again. Was only down for a minute or two.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 17, 2012

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist

Godinster posted:

Looks like NZBs.org is gone, hopefully short-term.

It's working for me at the moment by going to http://nzbs.org/login

That said, I did get the Apache test page when I tried them 10 minutes ago.

parsleyc
Sep 28, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Interesting, can you login through IE? I don't have Chrome, but IE fails the same as Firefox for me.

Logged in fine with IE.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

KuroKisei posted:

It's working for me at the moment by going to http://nzbs.org/login

That said, I did get the Apache test page when I tried them 10 minutes ago.

Worked for me 10 minutes ago as well but now it's down. :ohdear:

Velvet Fog
Jul 26, 2006

Space Pussy posted:

Worked for me 10 minutes ago as well but now it's down. :ohdear:

It's back up for me.

dunkan
Jul 10, 2006

rage is everywhere
nzbs.org's main site hasn't worked for me in awhile, but if you hit a browse link directly, it asks for login and seems to work every time.

http://nzbs.org/browse?t=2000 for example.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
So are people setting up SpotWeb servers too? I decided to abandon NewzNab since it requires far too much bandwidth and work for me to run it at home, filling the backlog of spotweb has only taken little over an hour.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

here are some more index sites I have found via other forums in the last few days. most seem to be newsnab based though they have been open for new users on and off the last few days.

nzb7.com
nzbzombie.com
nzbclub.com
usenet-crawler.com

Ive managed to get into all of those and configure them in sickbeard OK.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Laserface posted:

here are some more index sites I have found via other forums in the last few days. most seem to be newsnab based though they have been open for new users on and off the last few days.

nzb7.com
nzbzombie.com
nzbclub.com
usenet-crawler.com

Ive managed to get into all of those and configure them in sickbeard OK.

Nzbzombie.com was mentioned earlier and I rather like it. I figure if horrible newsnab based interfaces are the future, I may as well go with one that has a fun logo/name.

longview posted:

So are people setting up SpotWeb servers too? I decided to abandon NewzNab since it requires far too much bandwidth and work for me to run it at home, filling the backlog of spotweb has only taken little over an hour.

I'm running one for my family members and so far I haven't noticed any real impact on bandwidth/disk usage after the initial backfill. I currently have mine setup to retrieve spots every thirty minutes so my bandwidth drops by 100kbs for about a minute when it does it's thing. Totally acceptable to me.:shrug:

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
So what is the advantage of a spotweb server over a newznab one? I have a newznab setup and it seems pretty good but I am willing to try multiple things.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
Dognzb is purging all non-vip accounts on the 1st, so pay your $10.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

ClassH posted:

So what is the advantage of a spotweb server over a newznab one? I have a newznab setup and it seems pretty good but I am willing to try multiple things.

With spotweb the disk space and bandwidth needed to run are much less than with newsnab. Downside is that it's community driven so you may not get everything.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Ganon posted:

Dognzb is purging all non-vip accounts on the 1st, so pay your $10.

That seems like a great way to make a ton of cash in a hurry, then shut down the site. But we'll see.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Telex posted:

That seems like a great way to make a ton of cash in a hurry, then shut down the site. But we'll see.

Yeah, that's the issue I have. Now seems like a poor time to give a stranger money, what with all these sites shutting up shop.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I was just purged too, except I did have VIP. I had it for a year, and it only ran out a couple of weeks ago. They said they weren't going to purge users who had bought VIP in the past but just didn't happen to have it right now :<

edit: I sent root@nzb.su an email. Hoping I hear back. This is pretty irritating, because I was just thinking "I think I'll renew my VIP sub at nzb.su, since indexers must be having a lovely time of it right now" and go to do exactly that and find myself deleted.
So turns out they are responding to emails.

I got an email back from Steve at nzb.su He can't tell me why I was deleted, but says that if my account wasn't either totally inactive, or super-duper-excessively used (I was the very model of a moderate downloader), and I had once paid for VIP, no way I should have been purged. It's a bummer, but he seems pretty chill and willing to help. Maybe worth an email if you're in a similar spot.

P-niiice
May 21, 2001

I have you now.
It's just amazing how dependent on nzb's I've become, and didn't even know it.

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010
If anyone is thinking of setting up a newznab server this will be a useful link:

http://aceshome.com/2012/12/10/hello-world/

The guy there has taken newznab and created a turnkey linux appliance.

"NewzNab is a usenet indexing application, that makes building a usenet community easy.

This appliance contains a base Debian Squeeze system, with newznab 0.2.3 preinstalled. Simply install the ISO to a hypervisor or bare metal hardware and then use your web browser to configure newznab.

If you have purchased the right to use newznab plus, you can login to the appliance via ssh as user ‘nzb’ and run the /home/newznab/bin/convert_to_plus script. This will prompt you for newznab plus password and update your system.
"

I've been running it for a few days have backfilled 2 weeks by default on quite a few 25+ groups and its using 2.8% of a 160 gig hard drive.

copperblue
May 21, 2003

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

With spotweb the disk space and bandwidth needed to run are much less than with newsnab. Downside is that it's community driven so you may not get everything.

Install was seriously 5 minutes on Win7, and the back loading was done in a couple hours. It'll automagically check for new spots every hour.

I'm assuming this'll be the preferred route in the future. You're already paying for usenet, why not get your nzbs from there too. Get more people submitting and commenting entries and it'll be better than having an indexer.

Not to mention you'll subconsciously learn dutch.

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006
I love the smell of sulfur in the morning...
Do any of you use VPNs to get around ISP bandwidth shaping or throttling? TimeWarnerCable (Roadrunner) in SoCal appears to have implemented throttling on nntp traffic because I can repeatedly max out at the same rate of around 1.8MBytes/sec each evening with no fluctuation, while still getting full speeds off other protocols. I have a 50 Mbit down connection so I can hit 6.1 MBytes/sec consistently all evening long from other non-nntp sources. I'm fortunate to not have an oversold node/network in my area.

I use news.supernews.com on port 443 with SSL to attempt to appear as standard https traffic. I've also tried non SSL on port 80 and various other standard ports with and without SSL to see if I can sneak around it without success.

In addition, the glasnost test fails when attempted from my home computers (http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php).

I was thinking about trying Giganews' VyprVPN for a month to see if that works out. I've read up about other VPN offerings out there, but really wanted to hear what you guys recommend first.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Strike Anywhere posted:

Do any of you use VPNs to get around ISP bandwidth shaping or throttling? TimeWarnerCable (Roadrunner) in SoCal appears to have implemented throttling on nntp traffic because I can repeatedly max out at the same rate of around 1.8MBytes/sec each evening with no fluctuation, while still getting full speeds off other protocols. I have a 50 Mbit down connection so I can hit 6.1 MBytes/sec consistently all evening long from other non-nntp sources. I'm fortunate to not have an oversold node/network in my area.

I use news.supernews.com on port 443 with SSL to attempt to appear as standard https traffic. I've also tried non SSL on port 80 and various other standard ports with and without SSL to see if I can sneak around it without success.

In addition, the glasnost test fails when attempted from my home computers (http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php).

I was thinking about trying Giganews' VyprVPN for a month to see if that works out. I've read up about other VPN offerings out there, but really wanted to hear what you guys recommend first.

I'm not seeing this on my connection with TWC. I'm only using SSL on port 563, no VPN.

Edit: Also on Supernews. Forgot that tidbit.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 18, 2012

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm not seeing this on my connection with TWC. I'm only using SSL on port 563, no VPN.

Edit: Also on Supernews. Forgot that tidbit.

I'd tried port 563 w/ SSL as well (I was originally using that).

I'm using the sabnzbd client. I'd doubt it would be related to that though. It's just strange that I can hit 1.8MB/s during a range of evening hours (what I'd assume are peak hours) but while that's limited I can still hit full speeds downloading from any other source.

Do you know of any other nttp throttling tests that work well or any other ways I could try to identify if bandwidth shaping is in effect?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Strike Anywhere posted:

I'd tried port 563 w/ SSL as well (I was originally using that).

I'm using the sabnzbd client. I'd doubt it would be related to that though. It's just strange that I can hit 1.8MB/s during a range of evening hours (what I'd assume are peak hours) but while that's limited I can still hit full speeds downloading from any other source.

Do you know of any other nttp throttling tests that work well or any other ways I could try to identify if bandwidth shaping is in effect?

I really don't worry about it and can't really recommend anything off the top of my head. If it were ever an issue I'd just use my seedbox as a staging area and just SFTP stuff.

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

The evilest trout of them all
I was curious about writing my own NZB indexer after a few of my friends got boned by the NZBMatrix closing. I spent a few hours writing a multithreaded Ruby app to crawl newsgroups and threw it on a VPS overnight.

I was quite surprised to see about 7GB of storage was used for 24 hours of headers. Now that could definitely be lower as I'd group together the NZBs from the headers as they were complete, but it still takes quite a bit of disk space.

I was kind of hoping to run my own indexer on a VPS, but since most of them come with like 25GB of space total, I'm not sure I could swing a good retention without going dedicated. So that kind of sucks!

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Evil Trout posted:

I was curious about writing my own NZB indexer after a few of my friends got boned by the NZBMatrix closing. I spent a few hours writing a multithreaded Ruby app to crawl newsgroups and threw it on a VPS overnight.

I was quite surprised to see about 7GB of storage was used for 24 hours of headers. Now that could definitely be lower as I'd group together the NZBs from the headers as they were complete, but it still takes quite a bit of disk space.

I was kind of hoping to run my own indexer on a VPS, but since most of them come with like 25GB of space total, I'm not sure I could swing a good retention without going dedicated. So that kind of sucks!

Aren't headers just small text files? I know there's a shitload of stuff on usenet but 7GB/day in just headers is pretty amazing.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Are you using compression at all? You should consider using something like snappy.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Smudgie Buggler posted:

So turns out they are responding to emails.

I got an email back from Steve at nzb.su He can't tell me why I was deleted, but says that if my account wasn't either totally inactive, or super-duper-excessively used (I was the very model of a moderate downloader), and I had once paid for VIP, no way I should have been purged. It's a bummer, but he seems pretty chill and willing to help. Maybe worth an email if you're in a similar spot.

Thanks for this, gives me hope that I may get back in. It's amazing how much better presented su was than the others I've tried.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Don Lapre posted:

This isn't entirely true.
The Feds could run or take over a provider and monitor your activity, assuming that's the provider you use.

No. Copyright infringement by downloading is not criminally illegal in the sense of actionable law, and I don't think a single person has ever been convicted of such in the U.S. There is basically zero risk, unless you are under investigation for some other reason, in which case it would lower your legal credibility.

http://www.ice.gov/news/releases/1202/120228wichitafalls.htm

Found this in my research though, this is why you probably shouldn't reproduce copyrighted material you find on Usenet for anyone but close friends.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 18, 2012

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

What settings do you use for nzb.su in SickBeard? I have VIP and every combination of url gives errors when it tries to connect. I do have the correct API key in the info.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Evil Trout posted:

I've been thinking of doing the same after looking at newznab. The whole PHP-ness of it just bothers me and it sounds like a fun project.

However, I was thinking about doing something like SpotWeb that stores all the data on usenet itself...maybe something in-between that does automated indexing along with user reports.

Then again, even though they're both kind of meh when it comes to how they're coded, SpotWeb and newznab work ok, so the motivation isn't quite there for me to actually write something better.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

PirateDentist posted:

What settings do you use for nzb.su in SickBeard? I have VIP and every combination of url gives errors when it tries to connect. I do have the correct API key in the info.

I believe SB needs a trailing slash -- https://nzb.su/ -- but don't quote me on it.

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I really don't worry about it and can't really recommend anything off the top of my head. If it were ever an issue I'd just use my seedbox as a staging area and just SFTP stuff.

If you tracert to news.supernews.com, are any hops on Comcast's network? I wonder if the traffic shaping is on their side and they're just doing a blanket nntp throttle during their peak hours. I'd be surprised if that was the case, but it makes me wonder.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Setting up a spotweb on my Nas4Free server was actually not so tough.

I don't recommend the average person do it, you do mostly need to know what you're doing. But it's totally possible at least so far for me. Works with the built-in lighttpd, just add mysql and get the right php packages and you're off.

ETA: I changed my mind. Is there a way to automatically have it retrieve new stuff? I don't want to click the button, I'd rather it just update once an hour or so...

Telex fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 19, 2012

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

The evilest trout of them all

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Aren't headers just small text files? I know there's a shitload of stuff on usenet but 7GB/day in just headers is pretty amazing.

Yes, the headers are very small. I was simply storing the subject, author, message_id as well as a couple integer fields into a postgres database. In 24 hours, from 89 a.b groups, I collected 25,043,238 headers. So that's what, an avg of 200 bytes per message?

Ashex posted:

Are you using compression at all? You should consider using something like snappy.

Nope because I was just storing strings in rows in postgres. I'm sure I could do a lot better though. First of all I'd avoid any rows that don't have xxx/yyy in them (ie, are multipart binaries.) Then, instead of storing the entire subject every time I'd store the subject once and a row for just the part with message id.

Thermopyle posted:

I've been thinking of doing the same after looking at newznab. The whole PHP-ness of it just bothers me and it sounds like a fun project.

It was surprisingly easy to get a crawler up and running, even maximizing my 15 connections to supernews. It was a fun little project and I might work on it a little more :)

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Telex posted:

Setting up a spotweb on my Nas4Free server was actually not so tough.

I don't recommend the average person do it, you do mostly need to know what you're doing. But it's totally possible at least so far for me. Works with the built-in lighttpd, just add mysql and get the right php packages and you're off.

ETA: I changed my mind. Is there a way to automatically have it retrieve new stuff? I don't want to click the button, I'd rather it just update once an hour or so...

cron job to get it hourly?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

dj_pain posted:

So far it hasn't actually run properly, but it may be because of an aborted attempt. Still working things out I guess.

Is there any way to change the way the categories are displayed with Spotweb? Like, I don't want the pink or green stuff AT ALL, and I'd honestly rather have some of the rest of the stuff segregated.

I'd read the documentation, but a good lot of the stuff about customization seems to not be in English and that leaves me hosed. I'm not sure spotweb is for everyone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

dj_pain posted:

Yeah, that's how you do it.

I actually have a couple close friends mooching off my spotweb install and they were complaining about having to wait for up to one whole hour, so I've got it updating every 10 minutes now.

Telex posted:

Is there any way to change the way the categories are displayed with Spotweb? Like, I don't want the pink or green stuff AT ALL, and I'd honestly rather have some of the rest of the stuff segregated.

You can do some pretty complex category filtering, but it's all done via manipulating the url...someone would have to edit the web interface I guess to actually have a UI for it.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I've had really great luck with a local Newznab install. I went so far as to re-jigger my machine to dual boot my usual Win7 with Ubuntu, and followed this guide to getting everything set up. The key, really, is to drop the few bucks on the paid version of Newznab. The free version's regex pool is pitifully inadequate and will likely leave you crying over your bowl of Cheetos.

It does take some time to grab a couple months' worth of headers on a very select few groups, but thankfully I have neither bandwidth nor storage concerns to worry about. I've been able to keep up with the stuff I want with as little as 5 days worth of indexing, but I'm keen on building up a good repository to work with.

The downside...I speak neither Dutch nor German...yet. I may be fluent in both very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Academy 6
Jul 12, 2006
dognzb is also down. holy poo poo. piss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw