Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

SpazmasterX posted:

Sort of like a dressphere spin on the Paradigm Shift. I could be down with that.

Actually, rewatch FFXIII's first trailer. Take that battle system, then throw in Dresspheres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Francois Kofko posted:

No, if you leveled a monster with nothing but Potent poo poo it would end up better no matter what your focus was.

It's better in the sense that you've given it more stat points overall (ie. +1 to three stats vs. +2 to one stat), but there's no point balancing it out like that when each monster only needs to do one thing well.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Armor-Piercing posted:

So it's a S-E game, third in its series, and has a female protagonist with multiple costumes...

The two loving last costumes...gently caress you designers. gently caress you.

[e]: Yeah, I know. Unfortunately. loving 3rd Birthday.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 19, 2012

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Pesky Splinter posted:

The two loving last costumes...gently caress you designers. gently caress you.

The last one and the first one are the same costume. Your outfit starts losing pieces as you take damage.

I'm pretty sure no other Square lady has been perved on by the makers like Aya has.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

The GIG posted:

The last one and the first one are the same costume. Your outfit starts losing pieces as you take damage.

I'm pretty sure no other Square lady has been perved on by the makers like Aya has.

What about X-2's massage scene, huh smartguy? :colbert:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Krad posted:

What about X-2's massage scene, huh smartguy? :colbert:

That was more funny than anything else. And Aya had like a five year head start on Not-Jesse-From-Team-Rocket. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Armor-Piercing posted:

So it's a S-E game, third in its series, and has a female protagonist with multiple costumes...

To make it worse Lightning and Aya have the same voice actress and Aya has a Lightning outfit.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

People approved this. People sat down and thought this was a good idea.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was about to make some joke about how they're obviously dedicated because all of the costumes have damage or something, but wow that is loving ridiculous. Even Bayonetta stops stripping the character after you put a new costume on her.

I kind of want to try Parasite Eve a bit less after that.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Sex_Ferguson posted:

There's nothing wrong with the first two. Have fun. Especially with the first one because it's super breakable.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Good thing that's The 3rd Birthday, which I'm pretty sure is just some AU fanfic Square swiped off the net and made a game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SpazmasterX posted:

There's nothing wrong with the first two. Have fun. Especially with the first one because it's super breakable.

Can I ask about them what is special exactly? I mean, I played the first one as a kid but never got past the rats at the beginning, so I didn't get to experience much of Parasite Eve.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The first two don't have this poo poo. Play them if you can, they're pretty decent. Kinda dated now probably, but I remember them being pretty okay.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Can I ask about them what is special exactly? I mean, I played the first one as a kid but never got past the rats at the beginning, so I didn't get to experience much of Parasite Eve.

I like the first one because of the battle system and the fact that I can make a pistol that fires acid buckshot a dozen times and gives me three turns. I never played the second one, but I read the LP for it. It's less RPG and more Action/Survival Horror.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Playing a JRPG set in New York of all places was a complete novelty back in the day (and still kinda is). Plus, the battle system is fun and stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

They have a pretty unique setting and combat system. They're more akin to a survival horror game than a straight-out RPG. The only other similar game is Kouldeka and the Shadow Hearts series.

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

Krad posted:

Playing a JRPG set in New York of all places was a complete novelty back in the day (and still kinda is). Plus, the battle system is fun and stuff.

The OSTs for 1 and 2 are also really good. They're composed by two of my favorite yet under-appreciated Squaresoft/Enix composers.

Yoko Shimomura - Out of Phase - Parasite Eve
Yoko Shimomura - Arise Within You - Parasite Eve
Yoko Shimomura - Plosive - Parasite Eve

Naoshi Mizuta - Weird Man - Parasite Eve II
Naoshi Mizuta - Mist - Parasite Eve II

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pesky Splinter posted:

And that was terrible. There's nothing that proves that Lightning Returns will be at all similar.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

There's also the shower scene and the plot twist at the end of the game which reveals that Aya is mentally a 12 year old girl. That game's story was the loving worst.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

And that was terrible. There's nothing that proves that Lightning Returns will be at all similar.

Nobody said that, we're just bashing T3B and making fun of Lightning's dumb outfit. Cool your jets.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Yeah Bro posted:

There's also the shower scene and the plot twist at the end of the game which reveals that Aya is mentally a 12 year old girl. That game's story was the loving worst.

It's slightly worse than that. She isn't Aya, but the clone from PE2, who switched bodies with Aya. Then, in the end, she has to kill Aya because

3rd Birthday had some decent music and the gameplay was surprisingly solid, but the rest of it was a complete disaster on every level.

EDIT: poo poo, Motomu Toriyama ( who wrote 3rd Birthday ) is involved with Lightning Returns as well :gonk: I know he was involved in all the FFXIII games, but still...

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 19, 2012

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Because everyone loves lists...

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/...y_Japanese_fans

quote:

Zack Fair ranked most popular male Final Fantasy character by Japanese fans

17th December by Keltainentoukokuu

The official Final Fantasy forums held a vote to determine the most popular male characters in the series. Early in the voting Zack Fair and Cloud Strife, both from the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII universe, were neck and neck, but Zack pulled away in the second half.

The next poll will focus on the female characters.

1. Zack Fair - Final Fantasy VII
2. Cloud Strife - Final Fantasy VII
3. Zidane Tribal - Final Fantasy IX
4. Tidus - Final Fantasy X
5. Squall Leonhart - Final Fantasy VIII
6. Bartz Klauser - Final Fantasy V
7. Kain Highwind - Final Fantasy IV
8. Sephiroth - Final Fantasy VII
9. Cecil Harvey - Final Fantasy IV
10. Vincent Valentine - Final Fantasy VII
11. Noel Kreiss - Final Fantasy XIII-2
12. Reno - Final Fantasy VII
13. Edgar Roni Figaro - Final Fantasy VI
14. Locke Cole - Final Fantasy VI
15. Balthier - Final Fantasy XII
16. Laguna Loire - Final Fantasy VIII
17. Auron - Final Fantasy X
18. Hope Estheim - Final Fantasy XIII
19. Noctis Lucis Caelum - Final Fantasy Versus XIII
20. Reeve Tuesti - Final Fantasy VII
21. Edge Geraldine - Final Fantasy IV
22. Kuja - Final Fantasy IX
23. Irvine Kinneas - Final Fantasy VIII
24. Edward Chris von Muir - Final Fantasy IV
25. Vaan - Final Fantasy XII
26. Onion Knight - Final Fantasy III
27. Galuf Halm Baldesion - Final Fantasy V
28. Golbez - Final Fantasy IV
29. Zell Dincht - Final Fantasy VIII
30. Vivi Ornitier - Final Fantasy IX
31. Sabin Rene Figaro - Final Fantasy VI
32. Warrior of Light - Final Fantasy
33. Ace - Final Fantasy Type-0
34. Kurasame Susaya - Final Fantasy Type-0
35. Sazh Katzroy - Final Fantasy XIII
36. Cid (Entire Series)
37. Adelbert Steiner - Final Fantasy IX
38. Firion - Final Fantasy II
39. Minwu - Final Fantasy II
40. Rufus Shinra - Final Fantasy VII

I think list bashing is dull and it's not even necessary here in my view. I mean, I don't like Zack but Zidane is 3 and both Kuja and Balthier made it higher than I would have expected. I didn't even expect Kujja to be on the list. I think it's a nice list overall.

No, I'll save my indignation for the female list. I dunno what order they'll be in but I predict Tifa, Aerith and Lightning will be the Top 3. Rinoa will also probably be Top 5.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Every Cid in the series pulls a cumulative 36th place, and Gilgamesh doesn't even place

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Zack has been the only likable main character since 9 or perhaps 10 so I'm totally fine with him in the first spot.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I find it funny that Noctis, a guy we know nothing about in a game that's never coming out, is still in the top 20.

But hell, at least both Laguna and Sazh placed. They should both be way higher up, but this means Japan isn't totally crazy.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
As someone who only knows Zack from the side stuff in FF7 (where his entire character was basically being the base for Cloud's delusion), why is his being #1 a good thing?

Also, which Cid placed? There's one for practically every game.

QuantaStarFire fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 19, 2012

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, I don't know either. He must be Jesus in Crisis Core or something, because there's nothing at all that makes me think he'd be #1 otherwise.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Noctis pulls in 19th despite not actually, like, existing. Onion Knight makes list while being less of a character than Noctis.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!
Hope and Vaan are both higher than Vivi? I disapprove of this ultimately pointless list! :argh:

Galuf is on there though, that's pretty neat.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Momomo posted:

Yeah, I don't know either. He must be Jesus in Crisis Core or something, because there's nothing at all that makes me think he'd be #1 otherwise.

He's a pretty cool dude and not at all mopey like Post-FF7 Cloud. Also he can kill anything in one punch.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

QuantaStarFire posted:

Also, which Cid placed? There's one for practically every game.

All of them. You could fill the entire list with just Cids otherwise.

I'm more surprised both Firion and Minwu placeed from FF2, though.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Renoistic posted:

It's slightly worse than that. She isn't Aya, but the clone from PE2, who switched bodies with Aya. Then, in the end, she has to kill Aya because

3rd Birthday had some decent music and the gameplay was surprisingly solid, but the rest of it was a complete disaster on every level.

Yeah, I know. But I was more approaching it from how creepy it is that the game keeps perving on a character who is mentally a child rather than just how stupid the plot was.

It's kind of a shame that the rest of the game was so awful, given how challenging and fun the game could be on hard mode. I haven't really seen any other 3rd person shooters with that level of challenge and demand.

List talk: The fact Balthier isn't at the top of the list shows that the list is objectively wrong.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

QuantaStarFire posted:

As someone who only knows Zack from the side stuff in FF7 (where his entire character was basically being the base for Cloud's delusion), why is his being #1 a good thing?
Because when you take the Gackt out of Crisis Core it's pretty faithful to the original FF7, and Zack was a really likable protagonist who was upbeat and cheerful without being irritating or completely stupid. I'd say he's most similar to Zidane, without the playboy stuff. I'm surprised he's at #1, though, did Crisis Core make much of a splash in Japan?

I'm also surprised Bartz is #6. Did Dissidia give him more personality than V?

Baalfrog
Nov 14, 2012

Thats pretty neat.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Because when you take the Gackt out of Crisis Core it's pretty faithful to the original FF7, and Zack was a really likable protagonist who was upbeat and cheerful without being irritating or completely stupid. I'd say he's most similar to Zidane, without the playboy stuff. I'm surprised he's at #1, though, did Crisis Core make much of a splash in Japan?

I'm also surprised Bartz is #6. Did Dissidia give him more personality than V?

Well according to wikipedia Crisis Core was Square Enixes most sold game during the time of it's release and it also got to be the second most sold PSP game in Japan during that time. Also the story is pretty good for a spinoff and being based on bits and pieces from Cloud's fragmented mind. And to be honest, people have wanted to know the truth about Zack and what he did.

On the topic of Bartz, he is the same hyperactive and optimistic fool he always was in FF5. Dissidia just got him "back to the game" so to speak.

Also, why is "this is my story" before "this is your story". I mean Auron was the greatest character in the whole game. Unlike Tidus, Auron has character, he has a proper goal in the game and during the game he is a center of a major plot twist. He is the best thing in the game drat it. What is wrong with people who think Tidus is better than him :/?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I figured Auron was so low for the same reason Neir had a teenager with anime hair as the protagonist in Japan while America got the World's Best Dad.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Because there are a thousand and one 'stoic mysterious badass mentors that refuse to tell the protagonist anything straight' whereas goofballs like Tidus are hard to come by.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

And the last "battle" in Crisis Core is one of the best things S-E has ever done. I can still remember how I was really focused because of how badly I wanted to win... :smith: The last part, when Aerith is the only one left in the slots, and the machine struggles to get her healing move, was loving killer

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 19, 2012

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Baalfrog posted:

Also, why is "this is my story" before "this is your story". I mean Auron was the greatest character in the whole game. Unlike Tidus, Auron has character, he has a proper goal in the game and during the game he is a center of a major plot twist. He is the best thing in the game drat it. What is wrong with people who think Tidus is better than him :/?

I didn't even notice Tidus was on there, and he outranked Auron? What the gently caress, Japan? :psyduck:

Silly Voodoo posted:

Hope and Vaan are both higher than Vivi? I disapprove of this ultimately pointless list! :argh:

Galuf is on there though, that's pretty neat.

Hope, Vaan, and loving Zell are all higher than Vivi. Why are the most annoying characters beating Vivi in a popularity contest?

The female character list is going to be awful, isn't it? :ohdear:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I honestly do not see what people like in Auron. He's not a bad guy or anything, but I would not call him one of the best characters in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like how Japan has a mix of goofballs and brooders in its top 10. Contrast that with the rest of the world, which primarily prefers the brooders.

Are Onion Knight and Warrior of Light big characters in Dissidia or something? I really need to play that game someday.

Cids being so low make sense, considering there's three awesome ones (4, 7, 9) and a bunch of mediocre-to-crappy ones.