Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Vanderdeath posted:

So I'm trying to piece together the story for the game and one thing I'm confused about are the giants and the Four Lords themselves. Are the giant people humans imbued with more Souls? Also was Gwyn and the Witch of Izalith humans that ascended to godhood or were they already demi-gods at that point?

I can see why the people developing DS2 want to un-obfuscate the story. I love the nonlinear and noninvasive storytelling in Dark Souls but I'm left with more questions than answers half of the time. That's probably the point, isn't it?

The people in Dark Souls can be split into a few broad categories.

Normal humans, which are most of the NPCs you talk to. Andre may or may not count, since he is pretty big but feels like he's in the muscular tall-person spectrum that huge huge huge.

Big humans, which includes Gwyn, the Witch of Izalith, and some of their followers. They're just basically upscaled humans. The Black Knights are notably larger, for instance, and aren't really bulked up the way Andre is. They're just bigger.

Giants, actual giants like the giant blacksmith and Hawkeye Gough.. They're definitely not human-ish in look.

Strangely, The Witch of Izalith's daughter's are more human-sized. Ceaseless Discharge is obviously vastly mutated but there is that gap in size between the Witch and her daughters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Are there any particular tricks to using parry? I'm at the Undead Parish and up until now I've been ok with blocking and counterattacking, but the Knights are making me look foolish because I can never get the timing right :saddowns:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Vanderdeath posted:

So I'm trying to piece together the story for the game and one thing I'm confused about are the giants and the Four Lords themselves. Are the giant people humans imbued with more Souls? Also was Gwyn and the Witch of Izalith humans that ascended to godhood or were they already demi-gods at that point?

I can see why the people developing DS2 want to un-obfuscate the story. I love the nonlinear and noninvasive storytelling in Dark Souls but I'm left with more questions than answers half of the time. That's probably the point, isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylFzJ3wRgHw&t=53s

Watch from where this video starts, should be about 53 seconds. In about 7 seconds you get as much information as DS ever gives you on this subject.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Argas posted:

Big humans, which includes Gwyn, the Witch of Izalith, and some of their followers. They're just basically upscaled humans. The Black Knights are notably larger, for instance, and aren't really bulked up the way Andre is. They're just bigger.

This isn't quite right, since a few times in the game they call you "human" as if they are not. Maybe they're "lords" but I prefer to think of them all as "giants" despite the fact there are other "giants."

I think this, for me, stems back to the old theory that the old broken Archstone in Demon's Souls to the Land of the Giants led to Lordran.

Then again, Lordran is just called "the land of the lords" or whatever, in the beginning

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Bats posted:

Man, all these jerks doing invasions makes me play hollow most of the time, I go human when I think it'll be beneficial but it's only because I've read and seen so much supplemental stuff about the game to know when it'd be opportune, but it's super annoying to have gankers jump in my game all the time just because they seem to think it's fun. I'm primarily playing a single player game, but sometimes you just get obliterated by some jerkwad that's way way overpowered. It makes me want to run a trainer in the background just so I can activate god mode and stand there until they get bored and quit.

I like how so many people try to justify being assholes by saying it's built into the game, yeah that's great, but really, this game is HARSH to a new player, it sure as hell was for me, and when I was initially playing I was having issues with NPC invaders, never mind humans that had half a brain.

The challenge and fun of this game is me exploring and discovering things, getting cool items and just taking it all in. I think if pvpers as 'just another mob' that I may die to, but well, that gets really really tiring after a while. I detest pvp in most games tho, so this is not surprising.

My kingdom for a gimmick/funny invader.

Edit: vvv I've been in situations before where I had to resort to summoning another player to help me out, so I tend to not run in offline mode.

Being human is always a choice. Even if you're only going human to kindle a bonfire, pop your Darksign as soon as you're done kindling, and you can instantly recover your souls and liquid humanity. It's what I do when I'm not in the mood to get invaded.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Size isn't really that important in Dark Souls, except when it is. Generally a lot of it can be chalked up to intimidation factor or how powerful they are.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I'm trying to hustle a new sorceror character through to the Lordvessel so that I can check out the DLC content. I've just freed Logan from Sen's, and I'm realizing that I now need to come up with sixty-thousand souls for HSM and Soul Spear.

What's a good way to generate sixty thousand souls? I've already cashed in the boss souls that I've acquired.

Cat Covenant and get lucky? Farm something?

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES

jwh posted:

I'm trying to hustle a new sorceror character through to the Lordvessel so that I can check out the DLC content. I've just freed Logan from Sen's, and I'm realizing that I now need to come up with sixty-thousand souls for HSM and Soul Spear.

What's a good way to generate sixty thousand souls? I've already cashed in the boss souls that I've acquired.

Cat Covenant and get lucky? Farm something?
Throw on the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring if you have it and kill the phalanxes in the main courtyard of the Painted World, run back to nearby bonfire, repeat.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Co-op.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Magres posted:

Being human is always a choice. Even if you're only going human to kindle a bonfire, pop your Darksign as soon as you're done kindling, and you can instantly recover your souls and liquid humanity. It's what I do when I'm not in the mood to get invaded.

I thought the Darksign didn't leave a bloodstain?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

superh posted:

This isn't quite right, since a few times in the game they call you "human" as if they are not. Maybe they're "lords" but I prefer to think of them all as "giants" despite the fact there are other "giants."

I think this, for me, stems back to the old theory that the old broken Archstone in Demon's Souls to the Land of the Giants led to Lordran.

Then again, Lordran is just called "the land of the lords" or whatever, in the beginning
I think it was explicitly stated (somewhere) by the devs that the Dark Souls universe is completely disjoint from the Demon Souls universe. So DaS should have nothing at all to do with DeS except the general fantasy theme and that there is a guy named Patches.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Pyrolocutus posted:

Are there any particular tricks to using parry? I'm at the Undead Parish and up until now I've been ok with blocking and counterattacking, but the Knights are making me look foolish because I can never get the timing right :saddowns:

You either have to learn to recognize each individual attack for each enemy type you come across (and learn when to parry) or have reflexes good enough to execute a parry just before an attack is about to land. A good rule of thumb is to parry when you see the attack first start to move toward you. But this isn't always true with larger, slower weapons.

Parrying/Riposting is probably one of the most gratifying things to do in this game, especially when you kill another player using it.

e: Also this happened earlier today

:stare: never even saw the dude, I assume he just jumped off of a cliff. Let me stock up on Twinkling Titanite and round out my levels to 100 though!

fennesz fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 19, 2012

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

I thought the Darksign didn't leave a bloodstain?
It doesn't, any souls or humanity you have on you when you use the Darksign is permanently lost. You're better off jumping into a pit if you want to minimize your losses.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bisse posted:

I think it was explicitly stated (somewhere) by the devs that the Dark Souls universe is completely disjoint from the Demon Souls universe. So DaS should have nothing at all to do with DeS except the general fantasy theme and that there is a guy named Patches.
The crestfallen warrior, also.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Complete Name-Change

Earlier I posted namechange hacks. Turns out they only worked halfway by themselves, which I found out by experimentation semi-recently. Turns out if you used Summon Sign Change by itself, all connections usually broke period. If you used Alert Change by itself, it broke the summon sign.

Then I found out people besides me were actually using the drat things, so I may as well put up the complete method.

Paste these in your preferred Cheat Engine table of choice.

code:
    <CheatEntry>
      <ID>222</ID>
      <Description>"Displayed Name on Summon Signs"</Description>
      <Color>80000008</Color>
      <VariableType>String</VariableType>
      <Length>15</Length>
      <Unicode>0</Unicode>
      <ZeroTerminate>1</ZeroTerminate>
      <Address>13DEAF0</Address>
      <Offsets>
        <Offset>FFFFFE80</Offset>
      </Offsets>
    </CheatEntry>
	<CheatEntry>
		<ID>271</ID>
		<Description>"Displayed Name on Alerts"</Description>
		<Color>80000008</Color>
		<VariableType>String</VariableType>
		<Length>15</Length>
		<Unicode>0</Unicode>
		<ZeroTerminate>1</ZeroTerminate>
		<Address>"DATA.exe"+00FC8E8C</Address>
		<Offsets>
			<Offset>30</Offset>
			<Offset>2C</Offset>
		</Offsets>
	</CheatEntry>
They must match, no shenanigans here. Let GFWL warm up a little bit after game load. Change Alert Name first, then change Summon Sign immediately after. Signs will instantly disappear for a minute or so, then come back.

All aspects of online play will now succeed. You can even still be indicted.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 19, 2012

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
Newbie DS player here (Accidentlly posted in the other DS thread).

Last night I installed the game, went from Firelink up through the burg right into Taurus Demon and promptly got demolished...3 times. Did some grinding in the burg til I was about SL13, bought a full set of chainmail and nailed him. I don't want to use any guides or anything, I'm just trying to wander around and fight things unless I get absolutely stuck; currently trying to figure out why Mr. Red Dragon won't let me in the castle.

I think right now I have online interactions off, but I'll try to turn them on tonight because being invaded sounds about as frustrating as the rest of the game. I'm currently a master of the block and backstab (only way I can beat the Black Knight guys), but I know I need to work on my parrying.

One thing in the story that got me: the dude that gives you the Key to leave the starting area tells you a legend his family passed down or something, then when you turn around you hear the noise of him probably killing himself and he disappears. When you land at Firelink, the guy there tells you that you're not the first Undead to land there with visions of the undead Destiny or whatever, which means the key guy is likely not actually dying and selling every Undead who will listen his story. I look forward to figuring out why eventually.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Eulogistics posted:

Last night I installed the game, went from Firelink up through the burg right into Taurus Demon and promptly got demolished...3 times. Did some grinding in the burg til I was about SL13, bought a full set of chainmail and nailed him. I don't want to use any guides or anything, I'm just trying to wander around and fight things unless I get absolutely stuck; currently trying to figure out why Mr. Red Dragon won't let me in the castle.

I think right now I have online interactions off, but I'll try to turn them on tonight because being invaded sounds about as frustrating as the rest of the game. I'm currently a master of the block and backstab (only way I can beat the Black Knight guys), but I know I need to work on my parrying.

You honestly sound like you have a big leg up on most new players, myself included when I was at that stage. I, like you, refrained from reading anything too spoilery unless I was completely stuck and even then I just asked for hints.

And it would probably be a good idea to practice riposting on the spear wielding enemies you'll run into along the Undead Burg/Parish area. It's the easiest way to kill them and you don't run the risk of getting oneshotted if you gently caress up. And you will definitely gently caress up.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Eulogistics posted:

Playing online isn't that frustrating. In fact it's much more enjoyable than playing offline. As long as you're not in human form, you can't be invaded. It's not like you're kindling bonfires every 5 minutes, so if you don't want to be in human form, you don't really have to be.

quote:

One thing in the story that got me: the dude that gives you the Key to leave the starting area tells you a legend his family passed down or something, then when you turn around you hear the noise of him probably killing himself and he disappears. When you land at Firelink, the guy there tells you that you're not the first Undead to land there with visions of the undead Destiny or whatever, which means the key guy is likely not actually dying and selling every Undead who will listen his story. I look forward to figuring out why eventually.

The game definitely does make an answer to part of this paragraph pretty explicit, and other parts are at least hinted at.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Playing online isn't that frustrating. In fact it's much more enjoyable than playing offline. As long as you're not in human form, you can't be invaded. It's not like you're kindling bonfires every 5 minutes, so if you don't want to be in human form, you don't really have to be.

The game definitely does make an answer to part of this paragraph pretty explicit, and other parts are at least hinted at.

One of the first thing Solaire says to you sort of explains this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

While playing online, after kindling, or while trying to summon help, there's a chance that you can be invaded and you'll probably die if you are. But I like that, I feel like those actions shouldn't be risk-free. It balances out the benefits of being in human form and the PVP can be fun. I also just enjoy the tension you have while treading new ground in human form, never knowing if or when you'll be invaded.

And all the passive online features are nice, too. Bloodstains, grey phantoms, messages, vagrants, etc. It makes the game complete. I couldn't imagine playing Dark Souls offline.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I just bought this and played around with the face editor. Then I dehollowed:

:gonk:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Bloodstains are my favorite thing in Dark Souls :allears:

Actually, I have been using bloodstains and messages a LOT in Demon's Souls. I did use them some in Dark Souls on my first run but I feel like I would have done a lot better right off the bat had I read them more. Seriously, a bloodstain can tell you so much.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
My favorite bloodstains are always the one of people just walking around, and suddenly decide to jump off a cliff.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Or the ones where people stand around for the entire length of the bloodstain's replay and THEN decide to jump off a cliff.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Nahxela posted:

My favorite bloodstains are always the one of people just walking around, and suddenly decide to jump off a cliff.

Maybe these are the people who kill themselves after they kindle? Babby doesn't wanna be invaded I guess.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Some of them might be, but some of them are definitely people traveling to some place to do whatever, but then fall off because they are silly. Firelink has these dudes (I've been one of them).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've walked off the super tiny wooden bridge connecting the burg bonfire to the burg half a dozen times. All on accident. :downs:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've walked off the super tiny wooden bridge connecting the burg bonfire to the burg half a dozen times. All on accident. :downs:

See, and without bloodstains you might think you're alone.

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low
I'm new and I have a question, go figure. I'm trying to figure out as much as possible on my own but I'm a little frustrated. Bonfires seem pretty far apart and usually have monsters I have never seen before who pretty handily clean all of my various clocks. I lose all my souls and then usually I can get back to my stain but I almost never get to keep them, only maybe the last two or three runs before I hit a bonfire. I always spend my souls, but I lose so many in the process of getting to the next bonfire that I end up wasting a lot. Should I be going back to a bonfire when I get a certain number of souls so I don't lose them?

Also some dude told me to ring a bell in a church but I'm off in some loving enchanted forest. Did I miss the bell? Is it behind that huge dragon?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The bell is in the Cathedral you passed whilst going to the forest.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ElProducto posted:

I'm new and I have a question, go figure. I'm trying to figure out as much as possible on my own but I'm a little frustrated. Bonfires seem pretty far apart and usually have monsters I have never seen before who pretty handily clean all of my various clocks. I lose all my souls and then usually I can get back to my stain but I almost never get to keep them, only maybe the last two or three runs before I hit a bonfire. I always spend my souls, but I lose so many in the process of getting to the next bonfire that I end up wasting a lot. Should I be going back to a bonfire when I get a certain number of souls so I don't lose them?
Don't sweat losing souls, there are always more to get.

quote:

Also some dude told me to ring a bell in a church but I'm off in some loving enchanted forest. Did I miss the bell? Is it behind that huge dragon?
That depends which dragon you're talking about, because either you took the master key as your starting gift (in which case we're talking about a large zombie dragon perched on a cliff edge and you're taking a very roundabout route), or you need to have gotten past the red dragon above a bridge in order to get to the forest at all (usually by taking a route under him and going through the street where there's a big armored boar), in which case you seem to have gone right by the church and a blacksmith on your way to the forest.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Finally tackled Four Kings on my slvl1 and started my part-time dickwraith career. With a little restraint and creativity, dickwraiths can be fun for everyone.

Let's try the undead parish. Instead of roasting that poor newbie schmuck alive with great combustion, be a helpful red phantom. Use gestures to guide the host forward, warn of danger, point out secrets. If they make it to the boss door alive, they "win". If they get gruesomely murdered by monsters along the way, you get your humanity and you go home.

Though sometimes they absolutely insist on trying to kill you no matter what you do, and you have to put them down. :(

But other times you invade some NG+er, which means impromptu prism stone dance party :pcgaming:

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
How the crap do I do these 4 kings guys. Jesus christ, I can't deal with them. I'm a pyro. Tips welcome.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Itchy Bear Dong posted:

How the crap do I do these 4 kings guys. Jesus christ, I can't deal with them. I'm a pyro. Tips welcome.

Power Within, Stone Armor, 2H the biggest heaviest most-upgraded sword you've got, slap whatever on it and plant your nose in their dicks

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Itchy Bear Dong posted:

The fight is a DPS race. When you get the next king is time-based, not health-based, so it is possible to kill them so fast you have to wait for the next king to show up. You want items that increase your DPS like green blossoms, the grass crest shield(wear it on your back while you two hand your weapon), bellowing dragoncrest ring, and the crown of dusk(since you're a magic user, melee people should go with Mask of the Child if they have it). Also consider Power Within, a pyromancy found beneath the weird wall monster in upper Blighttown.

Chug estus, if you aren't SL1 the only move worth dodging is the grab.

If you die a lot don't feel bad, 4K are pretty hard for many people. They were certainly the hardest boss on my SL1 run at like 5-6 attempts rather than the 1-2 most bosses took.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

This is pretty much easymode. Power within, great combustion, combustion, heavy-rear end armor. Burn the poo poo out of them. You'll have time to wait between kings sometimes.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can I kill the giant Halberd wielding statues outside O&S? I've never really tried since they're so easy to run past.

Also, getting the timing down to riposte the silver knights was possibly the most satisfying thing I've done in-game recently.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

sector_corrector posted:

Can I kill the giant Halberd wielding statues outside O&S? I've never really tried since they're so easy to run past.

Yes, they work exactly like the other ones except they have Force and healing miracles. They also work like the other ones in that their shield hitbox is bullshit so it takes some getting used to in order to find where you can actually do damage to them. If you're directly behind them you're golden but sometimes you can get them from the front/side-ish.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is it worth killing them? I mean, if killing them causes them to disappear permanently I'd consider it, but I can do fine just running past all of them so far so I haven't had the desire to try yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

sector_corrector posted:

Is it worth killing them? I mean, if killing them causes them to disappear permanently I'd consider it, but I can do fine just running past all of them so far so I haven't had the desire to try yet.

They respawn, much to my (and your) chagrin.

• Locked thread