Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Anyone on straight talk ATT getting spammed with "your service has been filled" text messages and emails? I have auto refill setup and it keeps spamming me like a mofo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Choicecut posted:

Anyone on straight talk ATT getting spammed with "your service has been filled" text messages and emails? I have auto refill setup and it keeps spamming me like a mofo.

Literally the previous post discusses it.

I sent them an email to support since their customer service phone number had a 30 minute hold time.

If I get a response I'll let you all know.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

savesthedayrocks posted:

Literally the previous post discusses it.

I sent them an email to support since their customer service phone number had a 30 minute hold time.

If I get a response I'll let you all know.

God drat, how the gently caress I missed that I have no idea.

Hopefully they respond to you cause this poo poo is pissing me the gently caress off.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stick100 posted:

200-300 is still only $40-$50 per month, if you use much data the $30 TMO might be better than straight talk. Also it seems that straight talk charges some of the extra taxes on fees while TMO does not. TMO might be $30 and Straight talk might be 55+ with taxes.

I guess I might as well go with TMO then. Is there any particular phone I should purchase or look at for the plan? Anything that's better than my Droid 2 I'm fine with, to be honest.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

I guess I might as well go with TMO then. Is there any particular phone I should purchase or look at for the plan? Anything that's better than my Droid 2 I'm fine with, to be honest.

What is your price range? The go to phone right now is the Nexus 4 from Google for $300-350.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

gariig posted:

What is your price range? The go to phone right now is the Nexus 4 from Google for $300-350.

I was hoping for under $300 if possible. I saw a lot of $150 phones. Are they as terrible as I'm thinking they are? Is the Nexus 4 really that much better?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

RBA Starblade posted:

I was hoping for under $300 if possible. I saw a lot of $150 phones. Are they as terrible as I'm thinking they are? Is the Nexus 4 really that much better?

Are they used? Buying off contract nothing is really cheaper than the N4 unless it's an older model or a hunk of poo poo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SB35 posted:

Are they used? Buying off contract nothing is really cheaper than the N4 unless it's an older model or a hunk of poo poo

They must be older models/poo poo then, I've been seeing phones between $150-200 on a bunch of different prepaid options. I'll aim at the N4 on TMO then. Thanks for the help everyone!

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
You should be able to find a good used galaxy nexus for pretty cheap nowadays.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Tinfoil hat time.

I use GV for my calls on the $30 T-Mobile prepaid plan. I was taking with my wife today (called her on my GV line) and didn't touch the phone. It was sitting in my car console and I was on bluetooth (connected to my car).

About 3 minutes into the conversation, I mentioned an assault rifle I was thinking about buying. An AK-47 (hysteria purchase pending the "ban"). A few seconds after saying this, I heard "Your call is now being recorded" or something like that.

I know you can record calls with GV, but I also know you have to press a key on your phone to turn it on. I didn't press anything, it automatically started recording.

The wife asked "why are you recording this?" and I didn't have an answer.

I know this isn't necessarily prepaid chat, but since many prepaid TMo users use GV, I thought I'd post it here. Anyone else ever had their conversation recorded automatically, without pressing a single button? I mean it really felt like I said a magic word (assault rifle?) and the NSA or some poo poo started recording...again, tinfoil hat and all, but what the christ?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Is there an AT&T MVNO that does really cheap voice prepaid only that my nephew can also use his iphone 4 on? I'd like something like the page plus that has the $80 prepaid plan for 2000 minutes that last a year, though i'm guessing there probably isn't an AT&T MVNO plan that is THAT good.

My nephew doesn't need data and doesn't really text so that's not that important either (but is a plus still).

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Tinfoil hat time.

I use GV for my calls on the $30 T-Mobile prepaid plan. I was taking with my wife today (called her on my GV line) and didn't touch the phone. It was sitting in my car console and I was on bluetooth (connected to my car).

About 3 minutes into the conversation, I mentioned an assault rifle I was thinking about buying. An AK-47 (hysteria purchase pending the "ban"). A few seconds after saying this, I heard "Your call is now being recorded" or something like that.

I know you can record calls with GV, but I also know you have to press a key on your phone to turn it on. I didn't press anything, it automatically started recording.

I know this isn't necessarily prepaid chat, but since many prepaid TMo users use GV, I thought I'd post it here. Anyone else ever had their conversation recorded automatically, without pressing a single button? I mean it really felt like I said a magic word (assault rifle?) and the NSA or some poo poo started recording...again, tinfoil hat and all, but what the christ?

It's been a known issue for years, you can disable it in your google voice settings page.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hotsauce posted:

Tinfoil hat time.

We can only hope the NSA is keeping track of crazies like you. :tinfoil:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hotsauce posted:

Tinfoil hat time.

The NSA might act outside the law very often but they sure as hell wouldn't compromise wiretapping paranoid gunbunnies.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

hotsauce posted:

Tinfoil hat time.

The more of your posts I read, the less balanced you sound.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is it reasonable to use the TMO low minutes plan with GrooveIP to avoid using minutes?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

On (or about) January 20th, Boost Mobile will be removing their unlimited plans in favor for throttling after 2.5GB per month.

Boost Mobile Facebook posted:

Starting on or about 1/20/13, Monthly Unlimited plans will offer 2.5GB/month of full speed network data but will slow to 3G speeds of 256kbps for continued data use after 2.5GB. Customers that go over the 2.5GB threshold may experience slower page loads, file downloads and streaming media. Data speeds will restore to full 3G/4G speeds when a customer’s new monthly plan begins.

WILL IT EFFECT ME?

Keep in mind that 2.5GB per month is a lot of wireless network data and we anticipate that ONLY A SMALL PERCENTAGE of Boost subscribers will actually reach that.

To give you an idea, it's about 400,000 Mobile Internet page views, about 90,000 emails (without attachments), 91 hours of streaming music or 20 hours of video clips, in a month*. See FAQs: http://www.boostmobile.com/support/faq/#!/reduced-data-speed

https://www.facebook.com/boostmobile/posts/301585756627702

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

The more of your posts I read, the less balanced you sound.

Haha, don't worry. Balanced quite nicely. Father, husband, responsible, all that jazz.

Anyhow, I just felt the sudden recording was strange. Sounds like it's nothing more than a GV bug. Thanks.

˅˅˅ yeah, I know how to manually enable it. My phone was sitting alone in my car's console and my hands were nowhere near it. That is why I got all :tinfoil:

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 21, 2012

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
You just hold "4" on the keypad to turn on voice recording.

http://support.google.com/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=115082

I've done it by accident once without knowing about it and things got real awkward since neither of us knew where the "this call is being recorded" announcement came from.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
How's the LG Optimus L9 on T-Mobile? Seems to be their cheapest 4G phone with ICS.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is it really $400? I'd rather have the Nexus 4 straight from Google. At least you'll get Jelly Bean.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
There was a deal on it earlier where it was $200 + a $50 prepaid card, then it was raised to $249 + a $50 prepaid card. Also the Nexus 4 is sold out from here until yahweh knows when.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If it's really $250, then I'm a bit interested, too. Might be good for my sister. I just saw $400 on the main TMobile site.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I have straight talk on my AT&T (apple unlocked) iphone. Everything has been great, except it seems certain people I can't MMS. Mainly, my mother & sister who are on Verizon. Any reason for this? To be clear, I can MMS most people, and I doubt its SOLEY limited to my mother and sister, but is there is any reason MMS wouldn't be going through to certain people?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

da drat op posted:

NOTE to iPhone users: you won't get MMS service unless you're willing to jailbreak.
EDIT: The above iPhone Instructions wiki link claims to have an MMS procedure that will work on the 4S without jailbreaking, if you have another non-AT&T SIM to swap with such as a T-Mobile prepaid SIM.
EDIT2: and this more complicated procedure claims to work on the iPhone 4 (non-S).

Jailbreak does not equal unlocked

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
My mom is currently on Virgin Mobile's pay per minute plan with a dumbphone since all she does is occasionally use voice. Lately she's been having issues with the phone she has, but it looks like Virgin Mobile's current offerings of dumbphones would barely be considered sidegrades. I saw Page Plus' pay per minute voice plans are cheap as poo poo and would be ideal, so it made me wonder if a used android phone could be tied to one of these plans. No data wouldn't be an issue. Is this possible, and are there any suggested phones?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Jailbreak does not equal unlocked

Not sure if you're talking to me, but I already followed that procedure on the iPhone 5 and got MMS working, but it doesn't let me send MMS to everyone.

Is there a reason I can only send MMS to people on AT&T or something?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Just switched to straight talk today and I'm loving it on my nexus4. Signing up, activating my SIM, and porting my number took barely any time at all.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Is it reasonable to use the TMO low minutes plan with GrooveIP to avoid using minutes?

To be honest, not IMO. It's a pain in the rear end and more error-prone than I cared for. Combined with TMO's fairly lovely non-urban coverage, I left for ATT on StraightTalk within a few months of TMO.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
What's the deal with T Mobile's $30 plan? It says on their website that it's online only, but then it says if you want to switch your existing phone number to a prepaid plan you have to visit their store.

mtr
May 15, 2008

MondayHotDog posted:

What's the deal with T Mobile's $30 plan? It says on their website that it's online only, but then it says if you want to switch your existing phone number to a prepaid plan you have to visit their store.

I did this about 2 weeks ago and I did it all online and it was completely painless. You will need the account number and PIN of your current cell phone account.

It took about 8 hours for my number to switch from Sprint postpaid to T-mobile prepaid.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Sub Rosa posted:

There is a new T-Mobile prepaid option that looks really good: https://www.gosmartmobile.com/

They have a $45 Unlimited plan that has 5GB of 3G before throttling. So basically it's Straight Talk + an extra three gigs of fast speed data.

What are the downsides to this compared to the $30 plan? They aren't advertising 4G anywhere, but if T-Mobile doesn't actually have a difference in 3G/4G I'd still get faux 4G on this plan, right?

This is from a couple of pages back but it looks like the answer can be found on HowardForums. A number of people there have purchased the SIMs for the $45 plan and found that it's throttled at slightly less than 1 Mbit/s. Presumably the $35 plan is throttled even harder. It seems like there's pretty much no reason to go with Gosmartmobile over Simple Mobile or Straight talk.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Tremors posted:

My mom is currently on Virgin Mobile's pay per minute plan with a dumbphone since all she does is occasionally use voice. Lately she's been having issues with the phone she has, but it looks like Virgin Mobile's current offerings of dumbphones would barely be considered sidegrades. I saw Page Plus' pay per minute voice plans are cheap as poo poo and would be ideal, so it made me wonder if a used android phone could be tied to one of these plans. No data wouldn't be an issue. Is this possible, and are there any suggested phones?

What's wrong with a sidegrade if she barely uses her phone?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Radbot posted:

What's wrong with a sidegrade if she barely uses her phone?

If you're gonna spend 100 clams on A Thing you might as well make that thing better than whatever you got two years ago

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MondayHotDog posted:

Is it possible to pick up/buy a SIM card in a store and then take it home to activate online for the $30 plan? I dropped into a store today to try to pick one up but they told me I can't get a SIM card without also signing up for a plan. I told them fine, sign me up for the $30 plan and they said they've never heard of a $30 plan before cause the lowest one they had was $50.

mtr
May 15, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is it possible to pick up/buy a SIM card in a store and then take it home to activate online for the $30 plan? I dropped into a store today to try to pick one up but they told me I can't get a SIM card without also signing up for a plan. I told them fine, sign me up for the $30 plan and they said they've never heard of a $30 plan before cause the lowest one they had was $50.

Buy a SIM card online for $0.99 here: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phones/prepaid-sim-cards

You can only activate the plan at t-mobile.com or in a Walmart store, and the Walmart store will want you to buy a lovely phone.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Tremors posted:

Yeah you can use a smartphone on page plus' voice only plans. I highly recommend the $80 plan (you have to get from a place like callingmart). Gives you 2000 minutes that lasts for a year.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Mister Snips posted:

If you're gonna spend 100 clams on A Thing you might as well make that thing better than whatever you got two years ago

Yeah, pretty much this. While the current offerings are functionally equivalent, it appears their dumbphone build quality took a nosedive after they switched focus to smartphones.

Mister Fister posted:

Yeah you can use a smartphone on page plus' voice only plans. I highly recommend the $80 plan (you have to get from a place like callingmart). Gives you 2000 minutes that lasts for a year.

That's great news. I was already looking at the $80 plan as the one to go with too.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Assemble, dealseekers:

http://m.slickdeals.net/f/5666866-Straight-Talk-Unlimited-30-Day-Refill-38-24-AC-Crazy-Game-Time-AT-T-and-T-Mobile-also-15-off

20% off ATT, TMo, ST, Virgin and other prepaid cards. Kinda shady looking but I paid through PayPal and just credited $100 to my TMo account for $80.27.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MACHI
Mar 4, 2008

Thinking about getting my FIRST smart phone after getting fed up with horrible cheaply made dumb-phones. Ive been out of contract for years with Verizon and I like the idea of keeping it that way.

Since I only used 85 minutes(talk) last month I may be able to get the TMO $30 plan to work. Can you get the google Voice trick to work on any phone or just android? With such a cheap plan I could stomach paying $600 for flagship model, or would that be silly for my first smart phone.

What do you guys think? I feel like I don't even know which questions to ask.

• Locked thread