Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
Ugh, I can't get the fps unlocker to work anymore and the painted world feels like Blighttown now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

voltron lion force posted:

I would rather it never came back if it meant no more hackers. Sorry but most people who download a cheat engine are using it to, you know, cheat.

I didn't say they weren't using it to cheat? It wouldn't be called cheat engine if all people did was make builds with it.

EDIT: I am now getting a magical 15 fps in the undead burg. I guess it's time to wait until the DSFix guy pushes out a new release then.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

verybad posted:

Ugh, I can't get the fps unlocker to work anymore and the painted world feels like Blighttown now.

Yeah I really hope someone fixes it. It's so hard to go back.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

CJacobs posted:

I didn't say they weren't using it to cheat? It wouldn't be called cheat engine if all people did was make builds with it.

Ok but what are you saying? You're obviously in favor of the cheat engine existing and working, yet you realize its primarily used by hackers?

Also, did they actually get the 60fps fix stable (before this patch of course)? I'd heard it caused crashes, but that was around when it first came out.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Not that it matters, mind you. I've already fixed my personal table completely. It's not hard to do if you know... much of anything about how CE works.

Sorry about the false alarm on poise, poison, and curse, by the way. It's the same. I was just looking incorrectly.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
If I kill Gwynevere, will her bonfire stay lit?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

I would rather it never came back if it meant no more hackers. Sorry but most people who download a cheat engine are using it to, you know, cheat.

I assume by "to cheat" you mean stuff like infinite HP hacks or stat hacks. There is literally no evidence for that, because it is impossible to tell the difference between an SL100 that someone spent 30 hours to put together and an SL100 with the same stats that someone used a cheat engine to put together in ten minutes.

I'd rather people be able to screw around with builds as they please and deal with bullshit hackers sometimes. If a hacker kills me, then :toot: for them. I go hollow and play my game as planned. It's mildly exasperating at worst, and a small price to pay for the ability to skip dozens of hours of grinding to play around with various builds.

Ok but what are you saying? You're obviously in favor of the cheat engine existing and working, yet you realize its primarily used by hackers?

Stop making this claim. You have nothing to back it up unless you have actual data on the number of people who use it to hack vs people who use it to skip the grind when making characters.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Magres posted:

I assume by "to cheat" you mean stuff like infinite HP hacks or stat hacks. There is literally no evidence for that, because it is impossible to tell the difference between an SL100 that someone spent 30 hours to put together and an SL100 with the same stats that someone used a cheat engine to put together in ten minutes.

Funny enough, there actually is. Most people forget to change their class.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Cyra posted:

Does anyone know what that patch actually did?

I've been sitting around putting summoning signs down/trying to invade people and only got 1 hit all session. It usually took me, at most, 30 seconds to get something going pre-patch. Could be that most people haven't updated or no one is online though.

Also the "honor" PvP in this game is the most laughably retarded poo poo I've ever run across in any online community ever: Call of Duty included. Fighting another red phantom while the dude I've invaded watches is completely baffling to me.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 20, 2012

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Magres posted:

Stop making this claim. You have nothing to back it up unless you have actual data on the number of people who use it to hack vs people who use it to skip the grind when making characters.

I mean I figured common sense would be enough, but ok I guess we'll just assume that people are using it to honorably duel until proven otherwise. I would just rather there not be hackers is that so weird?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yes, that's what I said. Is there a problem with that? I personally use it for making PVP builds but at the same time I acknowledge that there are hackers, like there are for every single PC video game. Cheat engine is a necessary evil for this game because people use it to hack, sure, but that's not all it's used for and that's not its only purpose anyway.

I would just rather there not be hackers is that so weird?

It's not weird, it's just unrealistic. That's the difference.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I feel like most of the multiplayer games I've played in the past few years have simply not had a hacking problem, or not a significant one. Surely it is an issue that in Dark Souls, hacking is so easy that you can literally guess how to do it.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Fuuuck, now the whole game runs at 15 FPS for me. Great update.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I feel like most of the multiplayer games I've played in the past few years have simply not had a hacking problem, or not a significant one. Surely it is an issue that in Dark Souls, hacking is so easy that you can literally guess how to do it.

It's not quite THAT simple if starting from scratch, but it honestly is not that difficult if you're of a programmer's mindset.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Fuuuck, now the whole game runs at 15 FPS for me. Great update.

I just fought Seath and I still dip down to 5 FPS whenever I get caught in his crystal attack. :thumbsup:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Huh... I'm not getting any framerate issues(other than, of course, my framerate being halved because the unlocker doesn't work) but now I have to unplug my bluetooth in order to use my controller. I don't have any devices actually turned on and connected through the bluetooth but I guess it sees the wii remote as the input device to listen to or something? I can still open the GFWL menu with the guide button, but I can't do anything in-game until I unplug the bluetooth thing.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Manus and Kalameet. :staredog:

I beat both on my first try with my first elite knight armor, balder side sword and silver knight shield character but holy crap they're kicking my arse now. This time I'm using just robes, a big-rear end sword (MSGS or DGM depending on the mood) and a grass crest shield on my back. But somehow I just can't seem to be able to dodge their attacks.

I guess the real dark souls started here. :negative:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Smol posted:

Manus and Kalameet. :staredog:

I beat both on my first try with my first elite knight armor, balder side sword and silver knight shield character but holy crap they're kicking my arse now. This time I'm using just robes, a big-rear end sword (MSGS or DGM depending on the mood) and a grass crest shield on my back. But somehow I just can't seem to be able to dodge their attacks.

I guess the real dark souls started here. :negative:

I found those guys pretty tough with my strength based character, and much easier with my dex character.

Trampy Vampy
Mar 21, 2008

It don't mean a thing,
If it ain't got that swing.

fennesz posted:

Also the "honor" PvP in this game is the most laughably retarded poo poo I've ever run across in any online community ever: Call of Duty included. Fighting another red phantom while the dude I've invaded watches is completely baffling to me.

Why is it "laughably retarded" if someone wants to match their skills and build against someone else in as fair an environment as they can approximate in this game? Nobody ever queues for the arena, so dueling and fight clubs are pretty much the only way people can engage in fair fights. Do you consider it a fool's errand to try and create fairness when the game's mechanics encourage unfair play?

It's baffling to me why someone might think that wanting to measure up your skills against other people who have experience pvping and have access to all the gear as you is ridiculous. More people than not in this thread seem to agree with you (what with all the faintly racist "honorobu" crap), so I'm trying to understand your viewpoint.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

CJacobs posted:

It's not weird, it's just unrealistic. That's the difference.

The only way I've ever seen hacking stopped is through social punishment (e.g. bans from being reported).

For a non-server side game like Dark Souls, it's just flat out impossible.

It's a cost of business sort of thing.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Call Now posted:

If I kill Gwynevere, will her bonfire stay lit?
Yes. Bonfires only go out of their firekeeper has an accident.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Her bonfire will stay lit, but if the bonfire you last rested at is within the confines of Anor Londo and you die you will respawn at the first one after Sen's Fortress, no matter what.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Cowcaster posted:

Her bonfire will stay lit, but if the bonfire you last rested at is within the confines of Anor Londo and you die you will respawn at the first one after Sen's Fortress, no matter what.

No, if you kill Gwynevere, you will respawn at the first one no matter where you last rested, if you die in Anor Londo (or outside, having last rested there).

Which is a real kick in the balls if you warp somewhere after killing her, die, and wake up to the Lady of the Darkling trying to kill you.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Noblesse Oblige posted:

Do you consider it a fool's errand to try and create fairness when the game's mechanics encourage unfair play?

Yes. It's silly to try and bolt on a bunch of completely arbitrary rules to try and make things "fair".

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bertrand Hustle posted:

No, if you kill Gwynevere, you will respawn at the first one no matter where you last rested, if you die in Anor Londo.

Is that right? Like if you rest at Sen's and then go die in Anor Londo it'll put you at the first one? That's a little unusual.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I don't know about you but when somebody bows, I assume they are presenting their head to me for easy removal and act accordingly.

Cowcaster posted:

Is that right? Like if you rest at Sen's and then go die in Anor Londo it'll put you at the first one? That's a little unusual.

Yeah, in fact, I did exactly that. Rested at Sen's because I wanted to fight Gwyndolin, warped to the Darkmoon Tomb from Sen's, ran in, died, respawned at the first bonfire.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

Crackbone posted:

Yes. It's silly to try and bolt on a bunch of completely arbitrary rules to try and make things "fair".

But if people are engaging in it and more so having FUN with it, why do you begrudge them this? Just because you don't like it? Don't partake then, but don't hold it against others, that's a narrow mindset.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Is anyone else's framerate complete rear end, now

e: after reading the above posts, my question is answered. I just don't get why the framerate unlocker helps so much with the framerate, since I always have the max set at 30. :shrug:

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 20, 2012

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
A bunch of people are reporting that this patch fixed sound issues with the game, mainly the ambience.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
So, I checked with FRAPS and I'm getting exactly 15 FPS in the Painted World. It doesn't matter what's happening on the screen, the FPS counter doesn't fluctuate at all, so I'm probably dealing with some terrible VSync here. I've already disabled Vsync and Triple buffering (didn't seem to do anything to do anything either way) from Catalyst and D3DOverrider, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

Oh man, finally got a PC good enough to run this game and blitzed through, killing the Gargoyles. Game owns. What level do I have to be to get summoned for the gargoyles and how long does it take generally?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The gargoyles aren't the end-boss of the game. You've only just gotten started. :allears:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I had good summoning luck at the gargoyles at level 20 or so.

Managed to finally beat Manus. Still no co-op luck for Kalameet though, and it doesn't look like I'm good enough to get his tail solo. Where do people generally leave their summon signs for Kalameet?

Smol fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 20, 2012

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Captain No-mates posted:

What level do I have to be to get summoned for the gargoyles and how long does it take generally?
15-20'ish. The Gargoyles is one of the more popular bosses to get a jolly buddy for, so it generally shouldn't take that long.

Bats posted:

But if people are engaging in it and more so having FUN with it, why do you begrudge them this? Just because you don't like it? Don't partake then, but don't hold it against others, that's a narrow mindset.
If both the host and the invader know these HONOR rules and keep to them, it's fine. They're having fun, so good for them. And if there was a way for the people who like these rules to keep to themselves and don't bother other people, there wouldn't be an issue. But PVP is random, so you will inevitably invade - or get invaded - by someone who doesn't know, or just doesn't follow these rules.
In my first few playthrougs when I got invaded and Mister Red bowed to me, I shrugged and went for a backstab. After all I had no idea these unspoken rules even existed. That got often got me hilarious hate-messages and these people even down-repped my GFWL account for "unsporting conduct".

So I would begrudge them for demanding that everyone follows their dumb rules of honor. And it's downright stupid and hypocritical when they're complaining about you not following their honor rules when they're dickwraiths with +5 lighting weapons in the Undead Burg.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 20, 2012

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Noblesse Oblige posted:

Why is it "laughably retarded" if someone wants to match their skills and build against someone else in as fair an environment as they can approximate in this game? Nobody ever queues for the arena, so dueling and fight clubs are pretty much the only way people can engage in fair fights. Do you consider it a fool's errand to try and create fairness when the game's mechanics encourage unfair play?
Yes. The point of invading is to try and kill the person you've invaded by any means necessary. Period. Why is it my fault that no one uses the dueling system if they just want 1v1 fights 100% of the time? I was invading last night and two dudes were farming invaders and it was hilarious. One would chain cast Tranquil Walk of Peace and the other would backstab you if you tried to escape. This is what I expect when I invade someone. I'm either going to mob someone and they'll die or they're going to do the same to me. Bowing when you meet someone is ridiculous and completely goes against the grain of everything else I've experienced in Dark Souls thus far. If you have an advantage: press it.

Noblesse Oblige posted:

It's baffling to me why someone might think that wanting to measure up your skills against other people who have experience pvping and have access to all the gear as you is ridiculous. More people than not in this thread seem to agree with you (what with all the faintly racist "honorobu" crap), so I'm trying to understand your viewpoint.

That's boring. Again, if people want to fight 1v1. That's fine. Go use the dueling system. But, again, the point of invaders is to kill the master of the world at any cost. It's ridiculous and unfun to only fight people 1v1 all the time. The one time I've been invaded by two people at once I managed to kill them and it was not only more challenging but more rewarding when I managed to pull it off.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Here's a thing that I think: you shouldn't complain about "honorable" players when you're not playing honorably (just pretend I put quotes over all the honors) because they have literally nothing on you. Like if a player is trying to be honorable they are putting themselves at a disadvantage. If your real goal is trying to win at any cost then great because they just made it easier for you.

I think the real reason it pisses people off is that no one likes being told how to play, even if it makes it easier for them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The real reason it annoys people is because the PVP Honor crowd gets so vocally pissy when people play the game normally. Attack them while they're doing their pre-fight rituals and expect lots of hate mail. It's hard not to mock people like them.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

fennesz posted:

Yes. The point of invading is to try and kill the person you've invaded by any means necessary. Period.

You should probably not say something like this when cheating is as rampant as it is.

You'd also be surprised at how many people say they "outplayed" you, when you then take a look at their stats in the Book of the Guilty and see an awful lot of 99s for an SL1 invader.

"Win at all cost" arguments are simply not very compelling, since there's nothing stopping someone from turning around and using it to justify that.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 20, 2012

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

Noblesse Oblige posted:

(what with all the faintly racist "honorobu" crap)
As far as I can tell, it's used to mock idiots whose only understanding of Japanese culture and the samurai ethos comes entirely from video games and cartoons, rather than actual Japanese players. It's laughable cargo cult appropriation of 800 years of history and culture to add arbitrary rules for fighting in video games, and it deserve to be ridiculed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tallgeese posted:

You'd also be surprised at how many people say they "outplayed" you, when you then take a look at their stats in the Book of the Guilty and see an awful lot of 99s for an SL1 invader.
Then there are those with 60k sin in the Book, or 60k Humanity given in the Servant Roster. I'm sure those are 100% legit.

• Locked thread