Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

precision posted:

So I haven't had a copy of Providing Needles For Your Balloons in a long time, but it's on Spotify! Everyone should listen to it. What a great EP. I love "Jets" to pieces and the Smog cover is aces. "Put the Waterbug in the Policeman's Ear" is also a classic.

I love that cover of Ice Drummer. There are some great b-sides and outtakes from that whole period, like their weird fusion of PiL's Rise and One Toke Over the Line that never got released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
I have a feeling that The Terror is going to be pretty telling of Wayne's current mental state. I'm not all that surprised he's in a mid life crisis, considering the guy thinks about death all the time. It's always been a recurring theme in his lyrics, and especially now with all the skull imagery and 7 Skies H3, the most depressing song in the Lips' catalog. He realizes that over half his life is over now and it's probably a very scary thing for him to be dealing with.

And then there's his new interest in drugs which started sometime around 2010/2011. If what Wayne was always saying was true, then he wasn't really a "druggy" kind of guy for a long time. He'd smoked pot before, he'd dabbled in some acid and shrooms, but he wasn't super into them. Apparently (from what we've been told and judging from things he's been saying) he's pretty into drugs now. Speaking from experience, if you start smoking pot and doing psychedelic drugs a lot, it can go from being fun happy trippy experiences to becoming deep introspective nightmares. You see things without any personal bias, for how they really are. And you see yourself in ways you never had before. The drugs have probably been bringing out a lot of deeply rooted negative emotions in him. The Terror. And for now it seems like Wayne wants to just party and ignore it rather than getting his poo poo together and talking to someone or whatever he has to do to sort out his issues. I mean the opening track on Heady Fwends is a song about partying at the end of the world, for pete's sake.

Now I realize I'm kinda just talking out of my rear end here, but it's what I've been putting together based on Wayne's behavior combined with the Lips' recent musical output.

As for this whole Michelle/groupie thing, I have no loving idea but I really hope Wayne gets through whatever's going on with him because I'm getting worried about him.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

The Flaming Lips have always been about love, life and death but I've also been noticing a lot of the more existential and not completely healthy attitudes and thoughts on the subject of death that have come from recent songs. It's affected my life too and it can get me down, but it can also help a lot. I can't imagine Wayne is as happy as he tries to pull off.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

weirdojace posted:

Now I realize I'm kinda just talking out of my rear end here, but it's what I've been putting together based on Wayne's behavior combined with the Lips' recent musical output.

As for this whole Michelle/groupie thing, I have no loving idea but I really hope Wayne gets through whatever's going on with him because I'm getting worried about him.

I don't really know anything, besides what I see on Twitter/etc, but your post sums up my feelings too. It's kind of a bummer, given all that he/they went through with Steven's addiction (and his brother's), as detailed in Fearless Freaks. I'm hoping things get back to (weirdly) normal and they make some good music again (haven't been too turned on by most of the collaborations over the last year or two).

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
I hate to speculate, but I can easily see Drozd leaving Flaming Lips for the same reason Gene Ween left Ween (although probably in a less crazy, unprofessional way). If I were Drozd who has basically battled heroin addiction since age 24 or so I would hate to be in a band with someone like Wayne. I don't know what Michael or Kliph's drug habits are like, but Wayne's supposed interest in cocaine and other stuff + this stuff about his midlife crisis it just seems like an unhealthy formula.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Slackerish posted:

I don't know what Michael or Kliph's drug habits are like

They don't do any.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
I still feel inclined to think the cocaine picture was a joke and that wasn't really cocaine. But what the hell do I know.

Steven seems like he's got his poo poo under control at this point, but hey now that Wayne is becoming a party animal I could see how that would be uncomfortable for him to be around.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

RizieN posted:

I don't know anyone, except in this thread, that doesn't loving hate Wayne right now. All that nonsense with the loving groupie just proves he's been going through a mid life crisis. I wish Drozd would break off and do some solo poo poo.

e; guess I left the reply up forever because I quoted an old post. But whatever, point still stands. I'm glad Michelle left his rear end and didn't just 'stick it out'.

Hate is a pretty strong word. I know Wayne is a good person, he's just in a rut right now and it's hard to watch. Hopefully it's not affecting the other guys in the band too much, and hopefully Wayne can snap out of whatever funk he's in.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
I don't hate Wayne right now. I'm just worried about him. I still think he's a good person at heart and all that. He's just going through some terrible poo poo and it's causing him to do and say stupid poo poo.

Hope he makes it through soon.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WASDF posted:

The Flaming Lips have always been about love, life and death but I've also been noticing a lot of the more existential and not completely healthy attitudes and thoughts on the subject of death that have come from recent songs. It's affected my life too and it can get me down, but it can also help a lot. I can't imagine Wayne is as happy as he tries to pull off.

The second or third time I listened to Embryonic was with some friends and we got stoned as gently caress and it was really terrifying to listen to. I have no doubt that Wayne's been exposing himself to the Introspective Hell aspect of things like LSD. I've never had a "bad trip" but every trip I've had (aside from Ecstasy and sometimes mushrooms) has had a massive element of self-reflection and "holy poo poo, this is what my life is like". I feel like it's generally always benefited me, but then again, Wayne is older than me by 15 years, and considering how old I feel now I can only imagine what being over 50 might feel like.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Can we drop this whole line of discussion until we figure out if they really did break up? So far the only source is that site that has an obsession with dragging his name through the mud using unnamed sources.

Oh, I only read that article but some friends mentioned it in a confirming/matter of fact kind of way. I didn't really research too much, but I could totally see it being true with the last 3 years of observing the group/Wayne.

precision posted:

The second or third time I listened to Embryonic was with some friends and we got stoned as gently caress and it was really terrifying to listen to. I have no doubt that Wayne's been exposing himself to the Introspective Hell aspect of things like LSD. I've never had a "bad trip" but every trip I've had (aside from Ecstasy and sometimes mushrooms) has had a massive element of self-reflection and "holy poo poo, this is what my life is like". I feel like it's generally always benefited me, but then again, Wayne is older than me by 15 years, and considering how old I feel now I can only imagine what being over 50 might feel like.

That's why Wayne needs to actually eat some psychedelics.

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

I live in San Diego and the Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots musical is going on down here right now. But the tickets are insane. About $100 per person. I wouldn't pay that much to see the the real Flaming Lips! Have you guys heard if this thing is any good?

roofus619
Dec 7, 2005

Brain eating? Hmmmmm, That's pretty unusual

The Read Menace posted:

I live in San Diego and the Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots musical is going on down here right now. But the tickets are insane. About $100 per person. I wouldn't pay that much to see the the real Flaming Lips! Have you guys heard if this thing is any good?

I just saw it last night. It was pretty good. The tech was very good for a play. Try getting there an hour before show time and you may be able to score some $20 standby tickets.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Dwelling Spaces is selling that new Yoshimi CD online now:

http://www.dwellingspaces.net/products/one-more-robot-cd-the-flaming-lips

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Also they're going to be releasing a concert video of the Halloween show somehow next week, but for now, here's a five-minute preview:

http://vimeo.com/55647677

Hopefully it'll be a free video like NYE 2009 and NYE 2010, but I dunno.

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

Just want to poke my head in here and agree that Embryonic is an inspirationally experimental album and everyone should listen it from start to finish - and not while stoned either. It's fearless soundmaking at it's best.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ajrosales posted:

Just want to poke my head in here and agree that Embryonic is an inspirationally experimental album and everyone should listen it from start to finish - and not while stoned either. It's fearless soundmaking at it's best.

Sorry, it's against my policy to listen to any music sober.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

precision posted:

Sorry, it's against my policy to listen to any music sober.

What a waste.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Why is Michael Ivins so quiet and in the back for any group interviews I've seen for the 'Lips? I think the only time I've heard him talk is on All We Have Is Now and The Soft Bulettin documentary

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

WASDF posted:

Why is Michael Ivins so quiet and in the back for any group interviews I've seen for the 'Lips? I think the only time I've heard him talk is on All We Have Is Now and The Soft Bulettin documentary

Dudes just always looked like a quiet person.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

A friend of mine lost his car keys at FPSF in Houston this summer, so I had to leave the Lips stage after a few songs. Regardless of Wayne's state, I'd really like a chance to see them again, this time with car keys accounted for.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WASDF posted:

If not for the Flaming Lips, he'd be a math teacher. I think that should answer your question.

e: or maybe not, since Gibby Haynes went to law school...

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

The Freak Night concert movie is going to start streaming here at midnight EST either tonight or tomorrow (I can't tell?). Here's a video Wayne made about it.

WASDF posted:

Because he's a robot.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Between Friday and somewhere

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Surfingelectrode posted:

The Freak Night concert movie is going to start streaming here at midnight EST either tonight or tomorrow (I can't tell?). Here's a video Wayne made about it.

Because he's a robot.

Think it's tomorrow night, since he's talking about Saturday morning (although I guess that could mean for people in Australia? I dunno).

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Surfingelectrode posted:

Because he's a robot.

I wonder how much input he has in the band. I know he does a lot of the recording stuff but, I've never entirely praised the flaming lips for their bass.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

WASDF posted:

I wonder how much input he has in the band. I know he does a lot of the recording stuff but, I've never entirely praised the flaming lips for their bass.

he didn't even know how to play bass when he joined the band.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bass is pretty easy to learn, and he's had lots of practice. IIRC Michael is pretty much the engineer of the band and that by itself is pretty important.

[edit] Content: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/the-flaming-lips-take-their-antics-to-new-york-20121219

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 21, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

precision posted:

If not for the Flaming Lips, he'd be a math teacher. I think that should answer your question.

I'll do you one better. David Cross was going to be a rabbi.

edit: What the hell is that pink disc Wayne is holding?

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 21, 2012

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

precision posted:

I though Gibby Haynes was an accountant at a good sized firm in Texas for a few years before doing music full time?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

CPL593H posted:

I'll do you one better. David Cross was going to be a rabbi.

edit: What the hell is that pink disc Wayne is holding?

I think it's like a frisby or something with a mic taped inside. Maybe a drum of sort. It's pretty neaty. Used it in I Am The Walrus video.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WASDF posted:

I think it's like a frisby or something with a mic taped inside. Maybe a drum of sort. It's pretty neaty. Used it in I Am The Walrus video.

I remember that. I was wondering if anyone knew specifically what that was and how he made it.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

CPL593H posted:

I remember that. I was wondering if anyone knew specifically what that was and how he made it.

Pretty sure it's just a contact mic stuck onto a frisbee like thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Epi Lepi posted:

I though Gibby Haynes was an accountant at a good sized firm in Texas for a few years before doing music full time?

You're right. I thought either him or Paul Leary was in law school, Gibby was in accounting, when they formed the Butthole Surfers. Turns out they were both in accounting and yeah, Gibby had graduated by that time.

I seem to recall an interview about how he got fired for using his employers' copy machine to make fliers.

Yo Surfingelectrode, any YouTube vids of Lips/Surfers double bill shows? I know they used to call them "The Flaming Butthole Family Reunion" or something similar.

It's funny that Wayne and Gibby have kind of switched places because Gibby has mellowed the gently caress out and isn't really a massive drug/dicklord anymore.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

precision posted:

Yo Surfingelectrode, any YouTube vids of Lips/Surfers double bill shows? I know they used to call them "The Flaming Butthole Family Reunion" or something similar.

It's funny that Wayne and Gibby have kind of switched places because Gibby has mellowed the gently caress out and isn't really a massive drug/dicklord anymore.

Nah, I don't think so. There's an audio recording of a show from 1984 with Gibby playing sax with the Lips, though.

Also, the Christmas stream is back up with a new Imagene Peise (aka Steven Drozd) song being added to the rotation soon.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
gently caress, I love the Christmas stream, I wish it had been playing all week when I was at work.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Are they going to be selling the show tonight as a blu-ray or DVD? On the preview video Wayne said something about "on Wednesday we're going to release..." and then it cut off.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jesus, enough with this "look at my boo boo" poo poo, just sing a loving song.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
This stream is great. I hope the released video contains the entire setlist, though.

For those interested, the setlist. Italicized songs are the ones left out.
Sweet Leaf
Worm Mountain
The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song
Tubular Bells
The Ego's Last Stand
Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell
Is David Bowie Dying??
Waitin for a Superman
Pompeii am Gotterdammerung
See the Leaves
Laser Hands
Drug Chart
What is the Light
The Observer
Do You Realize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

weirdojace posted:

This stream is great. I hope the released video contains the entire setlist, though.

For those interested, the setlist. Italicized songs are the ones left out.
Sweet Leaf
Worm Mountain
The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song
Tubular Bells
The Ego's Last Stand
Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell
Is David Bowie Dying??
Waitin for a Superman
Pompeii am Gotterdammerung
See the Leaves
Laser Hands
Drug Chart
What is the Light
The Observer
Do You Realize

Yeah, that was way too short and would have befitted from not only featuring all those songs you listed but also from less bullshit with the annoying dildos at the concert.

• Locked thread