Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I've had cold sores about once a year since I was a kid, and Valtrex is really effective in stopping them before they get really bad. Unfortunately, I've never had a doctor write me a prescription for infinite refills despite the fact that I've had blood tests done for this specific medication, have had no side effects, and it's a medication that treats a condition that will never completely go away. Is there even such a thing as an infinite prescription, or am I stuck going to a walk-in clinic once a year just to ask them for a refill and a bill for their consultation?

You can't get an infinite prescription, but you should be able to get one that'll go you 2 or 3 years. Might have to see another doctor tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

Why does people's breath show up so well in movies when its cold in the scene? I've never gotten my breath to show up very well regardless of the temperature or humidity. Is there some trick that Hollywood has or am I breathing wrong?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Lights, maybe.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheHistoryChannel posted:

Why does people's breath show up so well in movies when its cold in the scene? I've never gotten my breath to show up very well regardless of the temperature or humidity. Is there some trick that Hollywood has or am I breathing wrong?

Most of it is CG, or filmed in ideal conditions and composited in.

It's easy to get a good shot of cold breath when lit from behind or above/below.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Is there a gender-neutral term for someone who is attracted to women?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Meat Recital posted:

Gynamorous?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Tharizdun posted:

Gynamorous?

guy-namorous has a potential for hilarious misunderstandings.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Move to the American midwest and you'll definitely see your breath in the winter. It may or may not show up very well in pictures (I'm sure there are film techniques for it), but you'll see it.

It's something to do with cold temperatures and high humidity, I think.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

In today's fast paced world I find that I really only get time with my own thoughts in the shower, theres too much to watch/read/listen to other times. As a result I think of plenty of things I want to do later, but often forget most of them because I get distracted afterwards.

What I'm looking for is some kind of note system I can use in the shower.
Googling around I found these: http://www.myaquanotes.com/OrderNowSee5PackSpecial/tabid/92/Default.aspx but they seem kind of expensive at 14 cents a page in bulk. Has anyone ever used this or a similar product they could recommend?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
http://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Dive-Underwater-Writing-Slate/dp/B005B1NVC2

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Yeah, the reviews on that didn't look so great.

Now I'm leaning toward http://www.amazon.com/Rite-Rain-Tactical-Pocket-Notebook/dp/B001CCMLL6/ref=pd_sim_sg_7 and a space pen.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Meat Recital posted:

'Gynephile' seems close to what you're looking for.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Xenoborg posted:

In today's fast paced world I find that I really only get time with my own thoughts in the shower, theres too much to watch/read/listen to other times. As a result I think of plenty of things I want to do later, but often forget most of them because I get distracted afterwards.

What I'm looking for is some kind of note system I can use in the shower.
Googling around I found these: http://www.myaquanotes.com/OrderNowSee5PackSpecial/tabid/92/Default.aspx but they seem kind of expensive at 14 cents a page in bulk. Has anyone ever used this or a similar product they could recommend?

Crayola has markers that work on shower tiles/tubs. They sell them at Walmart/everywhere else.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I've sent 2 packages via USPS and none of the numbers for tracking work. I don't know even which freaking numbers to enter, there is a whole string of numbers but apparently only a certain number combination works. Aside from visiting my local office how can I get the tracking info?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Also I know YLLS would answer this for me but I want a less scientific answer. From what I can tell, lifting weights preserves or enlarges muscle mass? Running and (pure) cardio burn fat/muscle?I need to burn off a lot of body fat. Aside from cutting calories, maybe the best thing for me would be to find an excercise that combined cardio circuits and weight training, say like bodyweight circuits?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

b0nes posted:

Also I know YLLS would answer this for me but I want a less scientific answer. From what I can tell, lifting weights preserves or enlarges muscle mass? Running and (pure) cardio burn fat/muscle?I need to burn off a lot of body fat. Aside from cutting calories, maybe the best thing for me would be to find an excercise that combined cardio circuits and weight training, say like bodyweight circuits?

The advantage of bodyweight circuits is that you always have your equipment with you. The downside is that you have limited potential (assuming you don't go either Bruce Lee 100% workout all the time or have acces to gymnast-equipment). You can get fit on pushups and bodyweight squats and whatnot, but you'll not be as fit (or as strong or as muscled) as someone who bench presses and squats heavy weights.

The boring probably-slightly disappointing answer is that your best bet is cutting out lovely food, lifting weights 2 or 3 times a week and go running 2 or 3 times a week. I would first focus on eating right instead of cutting calories, as it is really difficult to overeat to a significant degree without sugar while exercising.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

You can't get an infinite prescription, but you should be able to get one that'll go you 2 or 3 years. Might have to see another doctor tho.

Prescriptions are only good for a year max.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

I could see my breath just fine the other day. You are definitely breathing wrong. See a doctor. Or go here and learn the science. Seeing your breath depends on temperature of your breath and outdoors, and humidity of your breath and outdoors.

quote:

You can see your breath on a cold day because the amount of water vapor in your warm exhaled breath exceeds the amount of water vapor that can held by the cold air. Any water exceeding that concentration will form water droplets which are very small so they look like the cloud or mist you see.

Not photoshopped

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Travakian posted:

Crayola has markers that work on shower tiles/tubs. They sell them at Walmart/everywhere else.

Or just use regular washable crayons. That's what my two year old uses to write down his bath time deep thoughts! Works fine and cleans up with just a wipe down.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Randomity posted:

Or just use regular washable crayons. That's what my two year old uses to write down his bath time deep thoughts! Works fine and cleans up with just a wipe down.

Or mount a regular whiteboard or chalkboard above the level of where water hits. Even in my tiny stall shower, the wall opposite the shower-head only gets wet up to my hip level or so.
Bonus: Some shower/bath material is already a natural whiteboard. Try a dry erase marker on a tiny spot and see if it erases easily.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Does anybody know what these bumper stickers represent? I've seen them for years but nobody I've asked knows. This is the best picture I've been able to take of one, but it's not great. It looks like a fox head in front of some kind of semicircle:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

RebBrownies posted:

Any reason why I might be getting light headed? I bent down to pick up a box from work yesterday and as I slowly raised up my vision went blackish and I got very woozy.
This happens from time to time even when I'm not doing anything.
I have been a vegetarian for 4 years. I eat pretty balanced (at least I think so)

This happens to me regularly if I'm not drinking enough water. It could also be low blood sugar, but water seems to fix it for me. I try to drink frequently throughout the day and usually end up drinking at least the recommended 64oz if not more. I only get that now if I've only had 1ish glass of water a day or less.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

b0nes posted:

I've sent 2 packages via USPS and none of the numbers for tracking work. I don't know even which freaking numbers to enter, there is a whole string of numbers but apparently only a certain number combination works. Aside from visiting my local office how can I get the tracking info?

Did you send it priority mail? Only priority mail and above have tracking I believe.

USPS tracking numbers usually start with "1Z" and it's the full string. Just punch any tracking number into Google and it will automatically take you the the shipper's site with tracking info. If Google doesn't give you the tracking info you have the wrong number.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 21, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Human Cow posted:

Does anybody know what these bumper stickers represent? I've seen them for years but nobody I've asked knows. This is the best picture I've been able to take of one, but it's not great. It looks like a fox head in front of some kind of semicircle:

Do you see them in just the area you live? Sometimes towns will issue some random design to all their residents, to be used as essentially a parking pass. Could be that.

For example, in one town I grew up in, the town gave everyone a window sticker of an 8 ball and a cue ball; and that let you park in certain places where non residents couldn't.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

FCKGW posted:

Did you send it priority mail? Only priority mail and above have tracking I believe.

USPS tracking numbers usually start with "1Z" and it's the full string. Just punch any tracking number into Google and it will automatically take you the the shipper's site with tracking info. If Google doesn't give you the tracking info you have the wrong number.

USPS is fuuuuuuucked right now with Midwest Winter Storms and the holiday rush. I'm having packages show up as delivered, and then have their tracking updated to say so two days later.

Also FCKGW is wrong; UPS numbers generally start with 1Zxxxx, USPS tracking numbers start with 94xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and delivery confirmation start with 03xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's Hard Boiled. From Wikipedia:

After long hours of filming in the hospital, the crew became exhausted. This led to having the last scene be one long five-minute scene of action to shorten the time needed to film. To complete this, during the scene when two characters go into an elevator to talk for twenty seconds, the crew changes the scene entirely and sets up the explosions for the scene to continue seamlessly.

Thank you! That is awesome. I should get a collectors edition or something to watch how they made it. It is amazing.

Serious question, what is proper etiquette on a plane when watching a movie and a gratuitous or even normal sex scene takes place on your laptop? IE game of thrones or like some normal R rated movie?

It can be awkward with or without nudity. Im currently sitting in the aisle and I know some nudity is coming up in the movie I have on, should I just try to skip past it? Watch it like normal?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

dongsweep posted:

It can be awkward with or without nudity. Im currently sitting in the aisle and I know some nudity is coming up in the movie I have on, should I just try to skip past it? Watch it like normal?

In a situation like this you really have to own it. Rub the genital region of your pants and groan, don't be rude offer the person next to you the opportunity to join in.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Scaramouche posted:

USPS is fuuuuuuucked right now with Midwest Winter Storms and the holiday rush. I'm having packages show up as delivered, and then have their tracking updated to say so two days later.

Also FCKGW is wrong; UPS numbers generally start with 1Zxxxx, USPS tracking numbers start with 94xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and delivery confirmation start with 03xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
I used the USPS automated postal center for both packages. One is First Class mail with delivery confirmation and the prefix is 420, the other one is Priority Mail, the prefix is also 420. also they both have 30 digit numbers. I tried different combinations of numbers i Google before finally getting the right ones and the website keeps o saying that this information isn't available from this website.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

dongsweep posted:

Serious question, what is proper etiquette on a plane when watching a movie and a gratuitous or even normal sex scene takes place on your laptop? IE game of thrones or like some normal R rated movie?

Watch something else? Skip past it at the very least. You're in a public place, have some consideration for those around you.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

b0nes posted:

I used the USPS automated postal center for both packages. One is First Class mail with delivery confirmation and the prefix is 420, the other one is Priority Mail, the prefix is also 420. also they both have 30 digit numbers. I tried different combinations of numbers i Google before finally getting the right ones and the website keeps o saying that this information isn't available from this website.

Yeah the automated postal center will produce 420xxxx numbers. Depending on how 'old' the shipping is you might not pull anything up; it can take 24 hours sometimes for stuff to appear for 420 numbers.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Another postal question. This time of year, how late could packages feasibly be delivered? I have one coming my way that still says it's supposed to arrive today on the USPS website (with delivery confirmation and insurance, if that makes a difference), but it's like 7 pm.

Juxtapose
Dec 21, 2012

Lost in time
like tears in rain
Can I get email notifications when there is a reply to a thread in my bookmarks?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Juxtapose posted:

Can I get email notifications when there is a reply to a thread in my bookmarks?

not possible

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Meat Recital posted:

Tit lover.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I think I solved the whole USPS tracking number thing. You can't google the whole 420 30 digit number, you can only google a small part of it. That doesn't explain why I couldn't get any tracking info though. Their servers were probably overloaded. Went to a post office and a supervisor pulled up the informaton.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Amelia Song posted:

Another postal question. This time of year, how late could packages feasibly be delivered? I have one coming my way that still says it's supposed to arrive today on the USPS website (with delivery confirmation and insurance, if that makes a difference), but it's like 7 pm.

To keep it dreadfully simple, USPS doesn't make multiple rounds, so if you didn't get it with your regular mail, you aren't going to get it that day. (generally)

There's been a lot of delayed mail, especially with the inclimate weather in the midwest, and a lot of the tracking sites aren't taking that into account.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I am looking for a synthesizer , I saw it on youtube and it's the coolest loving thing I have ever seen. It looks like someone told a 4 year old to go make a computer. It's a box with a million wires and switches and knobs on it but people make mindblowing music on it. I remember it costs a lot of money.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

b0nes posted:

I am looking for a synthesizer , I saw it on youtube and it's the coolest loving thing I have ever seen. It looks like someone told a 4 year old to go make a computer. It's a box with a million wires and switches and knobs on it but people make mindblowing music on it. I remember it costs a lot of money.

Was it something like this:

That's an early Moog synthesizer (on the left). Early ones were wiring nightmares.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

Was it something like this:

That's an early Moog synthesizer (on the left). Early ones were wiring nightmares.
Kinda like that, but this was a modern synth that looked like that. For sure it wasn't a Moog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I remember the specific video of the guy playing it was shot at the Knitting Factory. The video is not up on YouTube anymore it might have been removed at least I can't find it