Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Incoming character posters for The Great Gatsby

Jay Gatsby

Daisy Buchanan

Nick Carraway

Tom Buchanan

Myrtle Wilson

Jordan Baker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I hate character posters but I'm so irrationally excited for this movie so I guess it sorta balances out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sockser posted:

I hate character posters but I'm so irrationally excited for this movie so I guess it sorta balances out.

There's a new trailer out for it too.

http://youtu.be/h7AFnJbETLw

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That looks like it could be kinda cool but that's some tragic music in the trailer.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Vagabundo posted:

Incoming character posters for The Great Gatsby

Jay Gatsby

Hey, isn't he supposed to be meaner looking and have a beard... oh yeah. Wrong movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I didn't even know that was getting made. Jesus Christ. I mean, I guess it makes sense, but still.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It's nice to see character posters that are both consistent and not Photoshop Frankenstein disasters.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Too many Australians!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What caused them to push the release date so far back for that anyway? Originally it was supposed to come out next week.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
DiCaprio was pretty much born to play Jay Gatsby, so I'm looking forward to it. But drat is the music in that trailer awful throughout.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I haven't watched the trailer yet. Is it still full of Kanye West like the first one was? No one Gatsby should have all that power.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

muscles like this? posted:

There's a new trailer out for it too.

http://youtu.be/h7AFnJbETLw

Haha what the hell this is a trailer for like three different movies in one

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

muscles like this? posted:

What caused them to push the release date so far back for that anyway? Originally it was supposed to come out next week.
There's a huge glut of movies coming out Christmas day (including "Les Miserables"). Also, Warner didn't want there to be Oscar and box office competition from "Django Unchained", which also has DiCaprio in it.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The music in that trailer. :psyduck:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You have gone far, Sally Sparrow.

Mister Chief posted:

Too many Australians!

Pft, three, and none in the starring roles? That's pretty much under average for hollywood these days.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TheJoker138 posted:

I haven't watched the trailer yet. Is it still full of Kanye West like the first one was? No one Gatsby should have all that power.

No it's somehow even worse this time.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

uPen posted:

Seriously, who does that Happy Together cover? It sounds like Filter or some other 90s alt-rock bullshit.

The rest of the music was kinda "whatever" but then that song kicked in and I was actively embarrassed.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

TheJoker138 posted:

uPen posted:

Look at these here fools. How could you complain about Kanye music in a Gatsby trailer? It's kinda perfect. Although there are a million better Kanye tracks for it than "No Church in the Wild"--which is great, just a little incongruous.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Great Gatsby, the story about Old vs. New Money.

YOOOOU AND MEEEEE
MEEEEE AND YOOOOU

Also I don't think I've ever seen so much sex appeal so desperately stuffed into an adaptation of a very unsexy book.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
It's a Baz Lurhmann film. Out of place, unexpected music is pretty much a given, so it doesn't bother me much. Movie looks fantastic, as well. Hopefully it isn't just visually stunning.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

My problem was more with the number of songs used than anything else. It really was like three trailers cut together.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
is it still in 3D?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

That trailer demands that you see it in 3D.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I hate to sound so superficial, but I think Joel Edgerton as Tom Buchanan killed any desire to see this film. He looks too much like a 'roided out pimp in that poster. I know he's supposed to be somewhat athletic, but he's also an old-money, prep-school braniac type. Arnie Hammer would have been perfect, mostly because of the Karate Kid joke he makes in The Social Network, because Tom Buchanan is like the Ur-archetype of the rich bully that is in both films.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What makes him look roided out?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mister Chief posted:

What makes him look roided out?

He just looks overly huge. Maybe it's the suit.

Edit: no, it's probably him. I just saw some pictures of him in Zero Dark Thirty and he looks more like he should be a lumberjack than a prep school bully.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 21, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Don't watch the trailer for Pain & Gain, you might die of shock.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mister Chief posted:

Don't watch the trailer for Pain & Gain, you might die of shock.

I can stand muscle. :colbert:

It's just that Tom Buchanan, as written, is a guy whose never worked a day in his life, holds little responsibility aside his own and has everything given to him, even his wife, and he's being portrayed by an actor whose last roles are playing a Navy SEAL, a helicopter pilot, and a MMA fighter. It looks like he didn't even lose weight for the role. He looks like he works in a heavy labor occupation like a roustabout or dock worker and is dressed in his clubbing suit on the weekends.

The whole point about Tom being this old-school money dude that spends his time playing squash, reading racist eugenic justifications, and loving other guys' wives, is it makes the distinction between Gatsby even more huge, because Jay Gatsby comes from humble beginnings, becomes a war hero, and makes his own fortune that is larger than Tom's old money family. The whole point of Daisy's arc is that she left Jay when he was a pauper, married Tom largely because of his wealth and not his looks or attitude, and is torn when Jay comes back looking like the man John Galt wants to be.

The 1974 film kinda got this right. Wiry and eggheaded Bruce Dern playing Tom as a weasel versus loving Jeremiah Johnson himself, Robert Redford.

I get that this is for modern audiences, where rich people nowadays have time to go to a gym and workout all day so a modern-day Tom would look like that, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. :colbert:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

You are absolutely ridiculous.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Young Freud posted:

It's just that Tom Buchanan, as written, is a guy whose never worked a day in his life, holds little responsibility aside his own and has everything given to him, even his wife, and he's being portrayed by an actor whose last roles are playing a Navy SEAL, a helicopter pilot, and a MMA fighter. It looks like he didn't even lose weight for the role. He looks like he works in a heavy labor occupation like a roustabout or dock worker and is dressed in his clubbing suit on the weekends.

The whole point about Tom being this old-school money dude that spends his time playing squash, reading racist eugenic justifications, and loving other guys' wives, is it makes the distinction between Gatsby even more huge, because Jay Gatsby comes from humble beginnings, becomes a war hero, and makes his own fortune that is larger than Tom's old money family. The whole point of Daisy's arc is that she left Jay when he was a pauper, married Tom largely because of his wealth and not his looks or attitude, and is torn when Jay comes back looking like the man John Galt wants to be.

The 1974 film kinda got this right. Wiry and eggheaded Bruce Dern playing Tom as a weasel versus loving Jeremiah Johnson himself, Robert Redford.

I get that this is for modern audiences, where rich people nowadays have time to go to a gym and workout all day so a modern-day Tom would look like that, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. :colbert:

You're clearly putting too much thought into this. Something no one is ever going to accuse Baz Lurhmann of doing. Also what the gently caress are these posters I feel like this movie is supposed to be some sort of art deco version of the Matrix rather than an adaptation of the Great Gatsby.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Kevar posted:

Seriously, who does that Happy Together cover? It sounds like Filter or some other 90s alt-rock bullshit.

The rest of the music was kinda "whatever" but then that song kicked in and I was actively embarrassed.

It is Filter, the top comments are all people asking for the song. I didn't think Filter had more than one song.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Nick describes Tom as being a pretty big dude, with a lot of emphasis on his muscles and history as a football player, in Chapter One of the book. If anything, Gatsby should be lankier than Tom.

Also, am I the only one who couldn't make out what DiCaprio was saying?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AGirlWonder posted:

Nick describes Tom as being a pretty big dude, with a lot of emphasis on his muscles and history as a football player, in Chapter One of the book. If anything, Gatsby should be lankier than Tom.

Also, am I the only one who couldn't make out what DiCaprio was saying?

Okay. I love the book, but it's been awhile since I've read it. I always took Tom as a (pseudo-)intellectual and athletic but not overly robust.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

User-Friendly posted:

DiCaprio was pretty much born to play Jay Gatsby, so I'm looking forward to it. But drat is the music in that trailer awful throughout.

So was Robert Redford!

Young Freud posted:

Okay. I love the book, but it's been awhile since I've read it. I always took Tom as a (pseudo-)intellectual and athletic but not overly robust.

You likely think of him to look more like how Bruce Dern looked like him in the original film.

In all actuality, that's a bizarre photo. He looks like Sylvester Stallone in the photo. Here's what he looks more like in the movie:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Why is Gatsby in 3D? Does Daisy Buchanan's car run over you, or something? Christ, Hollywood.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
It's Baz Luhrmann, the dude was born to make movies in 3D

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Pointless luxury which leaves you with a headache is the very spirit of the book!

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Gonz posted:

Why is Gatsby in 3D? Does Daisy Buchanan's car run over you, or something? Christ, Hollywood.
Given that the book is about the spiritual emptiness of a decadent era, really this film could only be in 3D.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

rodbeard posted:

You're clearly putting too much thought into this. Something no one is ever going to accuse Baz Lurhmann of doing. Also what the gently caress are these posters I feel like this movie is supposed to be some sort of art deco version of the Matrix rather than an adaptation of the Great Gatsby.

Ah yes, lazy Baz Lurhmann. Just stumbling through his film career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Honestly I can't think of a more perfect director for a 3D Gatsby movie than Baz. It's like every movie he's made has been leading up to this.