Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vrunt
Jul 4, 2003

the great trollini
I had heard part of the trouble was when people voted, the average price said they'd be willing to pay for the Western Modulars was something absurdly low, in the $35 range. During the review they tried to stick to that price range and they couldn't make it work even as mini-modulars. Of course, the official statement trumps my own speculation. Be careful when you're voting for projects, though. That info you fill out does serve a purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangittj
Jan 25, 2006

The Force is strong with this one
I will buy the hell out the DeLorean and any other BTTF sets.

Any ideas on the next round?

UCS Sandcrawler - Definitely not the way it is made on the site (way too big and costly), not sure if a smaller one would make it or not. Sandcrawler is just not very star wars iconic. Not sure who would buy it.

NASA Curiosity Rover - Absolutely gets made. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it gets fast tracked somehow. Looks good, pieces all fairly common and off the shelf. I know I would buy one.

Thinking with Portals - Honestly have no clue. Would be awesome if it did, and I would buy it just for the adorable aperture science turrets.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I wouldn't be surprised if the Curiosity rover doesn't get picked just because Lego was already making one on their own. Haven't they made the last few Mars crafts into sets already?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Western modular was just too beautiful a dream.

Oh well, BttF has appeal to non Lego people in the same way Shaun of the Dead did. I'm really happy they're making it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Travis343 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Curiosity rover doesn't get picked just because Lego was already making one on their own. Haven't they made the last few Mars crafts into sets already?

Well the model was designed by a member of the Curiosity team, it fits the Cussoo brand and is clearly in high enough demand to be made - I can't see it not going through, and even if they have made sets before that doesn't stop them from making this one a Cussoo set, especially given the designer.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Western modular was just too beautiful a dream.

Oh well, BttF has appeal to non Lego people in the same way Shaun of the Dead did. I'm really happy they're making it.

To be fair Back to the Future has WAY more universal (get it?) appeal than Shaun of the Dead, which is a pretty niche comedy that had a large scale model designed for it - plus, you know, violence.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

PriorMarcus posted:

To be fair Back to the Future has WAY more universal (get it?) appeal than Shaun of the Dead, which is a pretty niche comedy that had a large scale model designed for it - plus, you know, violence.

Oh for sure, I meant that we'll probably see a huge viral campaign for BttF like there was for SotD. From a business perspective, BttF makes so much more sense than western modulars even without the Lone Ranger licence. I really hope the film does well at least so that they make more sets, that train with the turret gun on the back is child me's dream come true.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

I ...

I'll post more when I stop drooling

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Don't know what back to the future is but that time machine car looks fun!

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

dangittj posted:

I will buy the hell out the DeLorean and any other BTTF sets.

Any ideas on the next round?

UCS Sandcrawler - Definitely not the way it is made on the site (way too big and costly), not sure if a smaller one would make it or not. Sandcrawler is just not very star wars iconic. Not sure who would buy it.

I would buy it no matter what it cost as is. It's simply amazing. It's also way more Star Wars iconic that most of the random space ships that show up from Lego. You can't tell me that Obi-Wan's Jedi StarFighter is more iconic than the Sandcrawler.

I realize it's a pipe dream though. They probably would have a difficult time selling enough of them to justify the production cost.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!
TMNT, new Star Wars, new superheroes, and series 9 are in Lego stores now, we just got our stock today.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Travis343 posted:

I'm not sure if they had a NASA license or what, but all the real sets were in the Discovery line:
http://www.brickset.com/browse/themes/?theme=Discovery

The current Space series just has a generic shuttle with Lego space logos instead of NASA:
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=3367-1

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Don't your self a favour and watch the back to the future trilogy. They were my favourite films as a kid.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

youareoffthehook posted:

TMNT, new Star Wars, new superheroes, and series 9 are in Lego stores now, we just got our stock today.

My local lego store (Orange County, CA) told me January :mad: I called them out on it but they held firm. They also claimed there's no new A-Wing coming, so I think they just like messing with me or something.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

:stare: Sounds like you've got some homework this weekend.

In other news, I did a bad, bad thing. I was in WalMart for various reasons, and stuck on the shelf were five Black Pearls. Almost all of the boxes were damaged in some way, some significantly. I double checked the contents, and even on the open boxes, all the pieces were there -- figs, ship, instructions, poster, sails, all of it.

Talked to the manager, got a buy four get one free deal, essentially (20% off). I ended up buying them. I'm still not sure I did the right thing.

By the way, LEGO group makes the figs really hard to steal. There's one in each bag, and sometimes parts for each fig are spread across multiple bags in that bag.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

einTier posted:

In other news, I did a bad, bad thing. I was in WalMart for various reasons, and stuck on the shelf were five Black Pearls. Almost all of the boxes were damaged in some way, some significantly. I double checked the contents, and even on the open boxes, all the pieces were there -- figs, ship, instructions, poster, sails, all of it.

Talked to the manager, got a buy four get one free deal, essentially (20% off). I ended up buying them. I'm still not sure I did the right thing.

By the way, LEGO group makes the figs really hard to steal. There's one in each bag, and sometimes parts for each fig are spread across multiple bags in that bag.

I thought the bad thing was going to be that you didn't pick those up.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Went to town today hoping to find S9. Instead I end up finding a sphinx for 20 euros, and couldn't resist. Is the build any good or should I just directly dump it in the parts bin?

Ika fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 21, 2012

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

einTier posted:

So um... are you looking to sell one of those maybe?

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
Does anyone else feel the need to always have unopened sets laying around? I have a dozen sets just waiting to be built, and it feels great.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Pirate Ken posted:

Does anyone else feel the need to always have unopened sets laying around? I have a dozen sets just waiting to be built, and it feels great.

No. Even unopened sets that I buy as gifts are tempting.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Pirate Ken posted:

I am lucky if the set doesn't get opened on the way home to check out the mini figs. Than again my last few sets have all been second hand so no joy of opening the boxes there.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Pirate Ken posted:

So many of my sets are built and left on my desk at work because I buy them at lunch and can't wait through work to take them home before opening em up. :ohdear:

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Sloppy posted:

No. Even unopened sets that I buy as gifts are tempting.

I have the opposite issue. I buy sets intending on building them, and then they sit around and I don't touch em yet I keep buying more.. Its a disease.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Veeb0rg posted:

I have the opposite issue. I buy sets intending on building them, and then they sit around and I don't touch em yet I keep buying more.. Its a disease.

If you need to cure that disease I will gladly help by buying some of those sets off you.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Veeb0rg posted:

I have this problem too, I have had some sets sit for 6-8 months before I put them together. At least lego bricks don't go bad unless they are old white/grey and get exposed to too much sunlight.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

youareoffthehook posted:

I'm hoping the TGV train comes out before the 31st. I have $85 worth of VIP points to spend before the end of the year, Shop.lego.com says Dec 27th.

Honeydew
Nov 27, 2005

That's a very nice jaffa cake you have there

einTier posted:

Is your car made of lego as well

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Veeb0rg posted:

It gets even worse...my love of building far outstrips my available funds, so I end up buying bulk lots, building the sets, and then selling them to fund more purchases. I'm like a junkie.

I just bought another 55lb pile off Craigslist :awesome:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Pirate Ken posted:

I have a small box full of unopened CMF and polybags, whenever I have a bad day at work one or two gets opened/built in the evening.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Honeydew posted:

Is your car made of lego as well

There's a yellow Mini-Cooper in Athens,OH with "LEGO CAR" as its license plate number.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Veeb0rg posted:

I'm hoping the TGV train comes out before the 31st. I have $85 worth of VIP points to spend before the end of the year, Shop.lego.com says Dec 27th.

Do VIP points expire or something?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Saint Sputnik posted:

Do VIP points expire or something?
Apparently two years after they're earned. I had to use mine but I got a giant space mosquito out of the deal so no complaints.

Juxtapose
Dec 21, 2012

Lost in time
like tears in rain
Just got this in the mail today, so excite :3

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Sloppy posted:

It gets even worse...my love of building far outstrips my available funds, so I end up buying bulk lots, building the sets, and then selling them to fund more purchases. I'm like a junkie.

I just bought another 55lb pile off Craigslist :awesome:

:stare: I've never seen more than generic "couplea Star Wars sets" lots or specific individual sets on craigslist. I know it's just because I haven't lived in high-density areas/active craigslist areas, but buying a giant lot like that is basically my dream. :allears: So much exploration, then so many new pieces to play with.

re: opening sets, I'm lucky to make it from the checkout to the car without opening a minifigure or to keep a set in its box for more than a few hours. I got the recent giant Pyramid and the Portal of Atlantis after Christmas and meant to save the Portal for a week or two; it stayed boxed about twelve hours. Which reminds me, we're almost into Target clearance season again! :getin:

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Juxtapose posted:

Just got this in the mail today, so excite :3

I loved this set, and makes me so sad that lego doesn't have the model team brand any more, I would love to have 2-3 vehicles like this a year. The only thing the VW Van is missing is steering and it would of been perfect. This is also one of the few sets I put the stickers on.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

I totally didn't forget to post the MOC i made during the stream a while ago in the thread. Let's fix that.
I still need to finalize the colouring a bit but it's good enough for now.

Primal - Turbo Viper by AzMiLion, on Flickr

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

What the heck is this piece? Anyone know the Bricklink name?

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=44511

I thought it was a megablock piece but nope, weird lego roof part.

Juxtapose
Dec 21, 2012

Lost in time
like tears in rain
Yeah, looks like it would go on some palace or something.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Juxtapose posted:

Yeah, looks like it would go on some palace or something.
It's from this set:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Joramun posted:

It's from this set:

Sweet elephant.