Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

JP Money posted:

"This mustang will go from 0 to 241 KMH ...in 10 seconds." Who the gently caress decided KMH was the best method to report the speed here?

It sounds better than 150.. it's BIGGER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
They do the same thing telling them about how much rubber is on the road by saying 18 meters. I guess they're just trying to be culturally friendly while they show every loving idiot in Compton dumb enough to televise their street racing area.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
You're acting like a man with a length of 15cm should care about such things.. :clint:

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

JP Money posted:

"This mustang will go from 0 to 241 KMH ...in 10 seconds." Who the gently caress decided KMH was the best method to report the speed here?

it makes for a higher number

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Eh I'd buy that if it wasn't repeated throughout.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Infinit recently hired Audi's former North America boss to be its boss. His first thing is to revamp the whole naming system.

:wtc: People who buy luxury cars are really inscrutable.

There is a statistical correlation between driving a luxury car and not stopping for pedestrians at crosswalks, and other rear end in a top hat driving habits.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

JP Money posted:

How else can you say you have a 10 second car?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

anonumos posted:

How else can you say you have a 10 second car?
That's why we have 1/8 miles...

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

JP Money posted:

I remember watching a lot of how it's made episodes where the narrator used mph and the closed captions used kmph.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Giblet Plus! posted:

There is a statistical correlation between driving a luxury car and not stopping for pedestrians at crosswalks, and other rear end in a top hat driving habits.

I've always felt like this was the case, but figured it was a case of confirmation bias screwing with me. I'd love to see a link to a study or something if you know of one.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

You Am I posted:

Pfft, three wheeling with the rear wheel up. Call me back when you aren't doing a Jim Clark with the front wheel up in the air all the time

I wasn't going to respond in the same way as you, since this is the terrible car stuff thread after all.
But I was tempted when someone said cocking the rear wheel is "cute".
So now you done that, I'm going to have at it.
This is cute, a tentative one wheel off the ground, because, corners.

Then another car gets the chance at a straight, weee, lets get both wheels off!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Does National Geographic cater to a more international audience or perhaps just sticklers for using a measurement system that most of the world uses, regardless of where the setting for the episode is? I can't say I watch the show regularly so I have no idea if that's the case.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
NatGeo caters to dumbasses everywhere, even beyond the reach of US standard measurements.

Though I think it's up to the production company as to what measurements they'll use.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
They did one about Seattle street racing that I watched last night. I haven't checked out the LA one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CawafKIPzrU

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I've always felt like this was the case, but figured it was a case of confirmation bias screwing with me. I'd love to see a link to a study or something if you know of one.

quote:

Piff and his team found drivers of higher-end automobiles were four times more likely to cut off other vehicles before waiting their turn at a busy, four-way intersection with stop signs on all sides. In addition, they found upper-class drivers were significantly more likely to drive through a crosswalk without yielding to a waiting pedestrian.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120307145432.htm

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
REcalls aren't really news anymore but GM always manages to surprise with the kind of things that get recalled.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/20/gm-recalling-118k-colorado-canyon-pickups-over-missing-hood-lat/

2010-2012 Canyons and Colorados recalled because they straight up forgot to install hood latches. :bravo:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Earlier this year (or was it last year?) they had a recall on the Sonic because they forgot to install the front brake pads on a few thousand cars. How in the gently caress?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Throatwarbler posted:

2010-2012 Canyons and Colorados recalled because they straight up forgot to install hood latches. :bravo:

Its kind of vague, but it sounds more to me like the supplier of the hood latches hosed up and didn't install the secondary catch that keeps the hood shut after you pop it from inside the cabin. So the line assemblers installed latch mechanisms that were missing a critical component, not forgetting to install a latch at all.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geoj posted:

Its kind of vague, but it sounds more to me like the supplier of the hood latches hosed up and didn't install the secondary catch that keeps the hood shut after you pop it from inside the cabin. So the line assemblers installed latch mechanisms that were missing a critical component, not forgetting to install a latch at all.

Oh, so you mean after I pull the lever in the cabin the hood just opens, rather than me having to feel around for what is usually an awkwardly placed, completely unintuitively shaped, poorly designed release lever that just barely will pivot on the correct axis to release the drat hood?

What a tragedy. (I hate hood releases on GM products if you can't tell.)

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Fucknag posted:

Oh, so you mean after I pull the lever in the cabin the hood just opens, rather than me having to feel around for what is usually an awkwardly placed, completely unintuitively shaped, poorly designed release lever that just barely will pivot on the correct axis to release the drat hood?

What a tragedy. (I hate hood releases on GM products if you can't tell.)

Sarcasm aside, it would be inconvenient if the hood unlatched while the car is moving.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
Everyone needs to see this at some point in their life. Audi "UFO" brake rotors.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
A good explanation of those funky rotors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi1HUik7yIE

The Sensonic clutchless manual transmission apparently made it rather difficult to parallel park on hills and owners tend to convert them to standard transmissions, as it's cheaper than fixing the Sensonic unit.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
If it's anything like the AS Tronic transmissions our buses use, you have to kind of guess when the computer is going release the clutch on you when you're making parking moves. In a way, the gas pedal controls the clutch, kind of nuance on nuance to do two things at once with one pedal. Particularly embarrassing when you've got 50 people on the bus, half of them standing up even though you told them to stay seated because you'll be trying to park.

Usually goes like this:
Slide into a spot, stop and get ready to make your reverse move.
Select reverse, big hold on the air brakes so they stick a little when you let off.
Throttle 20%, clutch 0% Not moving.
Throttle 40%, clutch 0% Not moving.
Throttle 60%, clutch 0% Still nothing and also you're starting to roll forwards.
Throttle 80% clutch 100% WHOOOAA gently caress!

The bus lurches backwards and everyone is complaining because they've now fallen on the floor. (Told you to stay seated!) Instead of crawling back at 1mph, you're now rocketing back at 10 so you'd better hit those brakes real quick.
Rinse, repeat until parked successfully.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

JP Money posted:

Someone that likes measurements that make sense in civilized countries?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They did one about Seattle street racing that I watched last night. I haven't checked out the LA one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CawafKIPzrU

Jesus christ this one might even be worse than the Compton one. Gotta love that cop talking about how "all the street racers just use 4 cylinder so, you know, I can catch up to them with my charger. :smug:"

At least the LA one had cool cars.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Jesus christ this one might even be worse than the Compton one. Gotta love that cop talking about how "all the street racers just use 4 cylinder so, you know, I can catch up to them with my charger. :smug:"

I guess they've never watched WRC or WRX

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
To be fair, most of the cars in the Seattle episode were terrible, slow ricers. I couldn't even finish the episode it was so lousy. It would seem that the LA scene is far superior.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

he also removed the lightbar, so those pesky street racers will never know he's a cop.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I'm sure there is some just plain ole ordinary bias towards aggressiveness in rich people driving high performance cars on top of what that study found. I mean, if I was driving a lamborghini and a $200 ticket was pocket change, I'd cut off a slow driver in a loving heartbeat to avoid getting stuck behind them one second longer.

I suppose that's what researchers call "greed" but eh.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

grover posted:

I'm sure there is some just plain ole ordinary bias towards aggressiveness in rich people driving high performance cars on top of what that study found. I mean, if I was driving a lamborghini and a $200 ticket was pocket change, I'd cut off a slow driver in a loving heartbeat to avoid getting stuck behind them one second longer.

I suppose that's what researchers call "greed" but eh.

The drivers of 'higher-end' cars often aren't rich people, they're people who are in hock up to their eyeballs, or got a great deal used. And people with lots of money often drive cheap shitboxes, because they're frugal, which is why they have lots of money.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
If they really want to cover street racing, they need to go somewhere like West Palm Beach, Florida.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Snowdens Secret posted:

The drivers of 'higher-end' cars often aren't rich people, they're people who are in hock up to their eyeballs, or got a great deal used. And people with lots of money often drive cheap shitboxes, because they're frugal, which is why they have lots of money.

You are confusing old money and new money.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

I saw an absolutely pristine Escalade with 24" wheels and like nine DVD screens inside parked at the cheapo laundromat in a kind of lovely area where I go when I need a commercial washer. Why would you buy an Escalade before you buy a washing machine? :iiam:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'm sure there's plenty of good reasons why (washing machine died and they had to do a load of wash, live in an apartment with lovely/overpriced onsite laundry) but the most likely scenario is a decent washer/dryer combo costs the same as one of the 24" wheels they're currently leasing from the neighborhood wheel and tire shop and a washer/dryer setup isn't going to do poo poo for your street cred.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 22, 2012

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

MiniFoo posted:

Sarcasm aside, it would be inconvenient if the hood unlatched while the car is moving.

Seconding this. I had it happen on my '67 Cadillac Deville convertible at 45MPH & it wasn't pretty.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I paid $200 for my washer and dryer. Dryer was basically brand new when I got it, washer is a POS but it's done the job for a year and a half now so who am I to complain.

That being said I think my wheels (rollin' on 16s, baby!) cost me $250, so your comparison holds.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

PainterofCrap posted:

Seconding this. I had it happen on my '67 Cadillac Deville convertible at 45MPH & it wasn't pretty.

Happened in my `03 celica. Single most terrifying moment of my life. For a split second, I thought I was dead.

The astute observers will notice tape on the edge of where the hood would be. It got backed into in a parking lot, and wouldn't latch fully, and was just stuck on the second latch. I already knew the car was gonna end up dead on that island (gently caress guam and the navy) so i made myself an impromptu "air dam" out of tape. It worked surprisingly well for over a year, until... BANG

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

PainterofCrap posted:

Happened on my 91 Integra around 70 mph. Not fun at all... in fact, very much a pants-making GBS threads moment.

Less fun was the attention I got from cops after replacing the hood, before replacing the windshield. The new hood (black vs maroon) made it stand out even more, and the windshield didn't help. Nothing like getting pulled over at 8am and handcuffed with the cop claiming "there was a robbery a mile away and they were driving a car that matched yours" (I'd hope a robber would have more sense than to drive a 3 color integra that belched clouds of blue smoke)..

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

ultimateforce posted:

You are confusing old money and new money.

If you're in hock up to your eyeballs you don't actually have either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Happened in my `03 celica. Single most terrifying moment of my life. For a split second, I thought I was dead.

The astute observers will notice tape on the edge of where the hood would be. It got backed into in a parking lot, and wouldn't latch fully, and was just stuck on the second latch. I already knew the car was gonna end up dead on that island (gently caress guam and the navy) so i made myself an impromptu "air dam" out of tape. It worked surprisingly well for over a year, until... BANG

:stare:

You poo poo yourself, right? Pretty sure I would have poo poo myself.