Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Kiranamos posted:

I said it before and I'll say it again, I am proud of my heritage and I will not apologize for the hours I spend meticulously keeping my Asuka figs in pristine condition. A baka like you could never understand.

How's your waifu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

VoodooXT posted:

How's your waifu?

In the laundry.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Best Game I thought I would have in 2012 but I'm apparently not getting until 2013
Tzol'kin: The Mayan Calendar
Runner up - Mage Knight: The Lost Legion

I'm seriously bummed. Since when does Europe get nice things before God's own country? Welcome to Obama's America.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Award for Most Ironic Product Delay:

Ojetor posted:

Best Game I thought I would have in 2012 but I'm apparently not getting until 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Best Game to celebrate today

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Best Game to spend all day on and later find out you've been playing something wrong

Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition.

I'm thinking of setting up a yearlong tournament for my friends, with a game every month (aiming at 10 games total) with 2 points to the winner, 1 to the runner-up and some bonus points for the losers like Most Lost Battles or Crappiest Dice as a consolation prize (and to keep it interesting).

Because what Twilight Imperium needs isn't another game mechanic, but a metagame mechanic.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Best New to Me Game
Twilight Imperium 3

Best Expansion
All the Summoner Wars faction decks

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Favorite Gaming Moment of 2012

My friend is David Jacobs. We played We Didn't Playtest This Either: Legacy, a game I didn't even know came out until we started playing it.

You know where this is going.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

GrandpaPants posted:

I have no idea why I bother interacting with the BGG community. It is a great site and a great resource populated by horrible people. All I wanted to do was tell the BattleCon people to not go "sexy anime pinup" in a sellout attempt to get more Kickstarter pledges, but the response...god the response...

:negative:

Has anyone stumbled onto that insane relationship advice thread? That place is the worst.

BGG people can be infuriating. Extremely little experience with the outside world, combined with a belief that they know more than everyone else. Ugh.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

wafflesnsegways posted:

Has anyone stumbled onto that insane relationship advice thread? That place is the worst.

BGG people can be infuriating. Extremely little experience with the outside world, combined with a belief that they know more than everyone else. Ugh.
Sounds like a forum I know but I can't quite remember the name... :v:

But yeah, BGG has awful forums and I avoid them as much as a I can.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

Sounds like a forum I know but I can't quite remember the name... :v:

But yeah, BGG has awful forums and I avoid them as much as a I can.

Basically, follow specific games that you care about and ignore the general forums.

*cough cough NT and GoG are the only ones I follow*

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

wafflesnsegways posted:

Extremely little experience with the outside world, combined with a belief that they know more than everyone else. Ugh.

To be fair, I think that description can apply to most of the Internet. It made me appreciate SA a lot more, where everybody at least turned on Kingdom Death for doing horrible, horrible cheesecake. A part of me wants to sympathize with people who HAVE to interact with the BGG community, but then I begin to wonder whether they're a part of the BGG community.

Anyway, here, have some sales at CSI. Impulsive capitalism always makes me feel better. Of note:

Dungeon Command: Curse of Undeath 20.99
Mansions of Madness 41.99
Star Trek: Fleet Captains: Romulan Empire Expansion 28.99
Eclipse Board Game 59.99
War of the Ring Second Edition 48.99
Quarriors! Quest of the Qladiator Expansion 21.99

You know, I heard a lot about War of the Ring when it came out and have been meaning to pick it up, but did the design hold up over time? A part of me is also hesitant to get a game that is that huge and takes up that much time to setup/play and only have it be for 2 players.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

GrandpaPants posted:

To be fair, I think that description can apply to most of the Internet. It made me appreciate SA a lot more, where everybody at least turned on Kingdom Death for doing horrible, horrible cheesecake. A part of me wants to sympathize with people who HAVE to interact with the BGG community, but then I begin to wonder whether they're a part of the BGG community.

Anyway, here, have some sales at CSI. Impulsive capitalism always makes me feel better. Of note:

Dungeon Command: Curse of Undeath 20.99
Mansions of Madness 41.99
Star Trek: Fleet Captains: Romulan Empire Expansion 28.99
Eclipse Board Game 59.99
War of the Ring Second Edition 48.99
Quarriors! Quest of the Qladiator Expansion 21.99

You know, I heard a lot about War of the Ring when it came out and have been meaning to pick it up, but did the design hold up over time? A part of me is also hesitant to get a game that is that huge and takes up that much time to setup/play and only have it be for 2 players.

It's actually hilariously fun with 4 players (though not quite as well balanced/elegant) because you have more people shouting about fighting uruk-hai and "He seeeees...he knoooooows". But it may just be my group that does that.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
One small factor (among many) which contributed to me preferring not getting to play any games over going to the established group here is not having to hear a comic book guy voice say "I was on the Geek the other day and.."

"THE GEEK"....

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

systran posted:

One small factor (among many) which contributed to me preferring not getting to play any games over going to the established group here is not having to hear a comic book guy voice say "I was on the Geek the other day and.."

"THE GEEK"....
Getting some heart of darkness vibes from this post.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
So has anyone dished on Quarriors and how the rules from one of the expansions changes the game from being an arms race to something a bit more fun. I am horribly interested in rolling tons of dice to buy dice for even more rolling.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

systran posted:

"THE GEEK"....

I'm apprehensive about meeting people in my area as all of the pictures and threads I read just ooze this "ahah we are geeks aren't we *puffs inhaler, snorts when laughing".

That's part of the reason why I like shutupshow. They don't call their show nerd this or geek that like it's a badge of honor.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

So has anyone dished on Quarriors and how the rules from one of the expansions changes the game from being an arms race to something a bit more fun. I am horribly interested in rolling tons of dice to buy dice for even more rolling.

This. They are releasing the second edition, has the game gotten more fun with the expansions?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ramsus posted:

That's part of the reason why I like shutupshow. They don't call their show nerd this or geek that like it's a badge of honor.

I have nothing against people being nerds or geeks, but if you identify with nerd or geek culture as it stands now, that tends to have negative connotations ranging from immature to undeniably abhorrent. I just accept being a geek with the dignity of a quiet shame.

Has anyone heard of this 4x game (I think?) called Core Worlds? It's on Amazon for $25.52, but has flown under the radar against things like TI and Eclipse. Looking at the game on BGG, something about the card templating comes off as bad/amateurish to me, but I can't really hold that against the game itself.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

It's a deckbuilding game, so it's nothing like Eclipse/TI.

Footsteps Falco
Oct 16, 2010

Sir French Fry

GrandpaPants posted:

I have nothing against people being nerds or geeks, but if you identify with nerd or geek culture as it stands now, that tends to have negative connotations ranging from immature to undeniably abhorrent. I just accept being a geek with the dignity of a quiet shame.

Not enough people understand this. Just because you enjoy something doesn't mean you need to shout it from the rooftops. I can quietly enjoy board games, sports, books, and tv without feeling the need to push my thoughts violently on everyone in the room.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

GrandpaPants posted:

Has anyone heard of this 4x game (I think?) called Core Worlds? It's on Amazon for $25.52, but has flown under the radar against things like TI and Eclipse. Looking at the game on BGG, something about the card templating comes off as bad/amateurish to me, but I can't really hold that against the game itself.

Core Worlds is essentially Ascension with Strategy. One of the problems with Ascension is its purely tactical gameplay but it turns out that that's not the only thing you need in a Dominion knockoff.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

Core Worlds is essentially Ascension with Strategy. One of the problems with Ascension is its purely tactical gameplay but it turns out that that's not the only thing you need in a Dominion knockoff.

Core Worlds is still not that great unless you enjoy trying to set everything up perfectly for the last and only turn in the game where you can buy the game-winning cards.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Ramsus posted:

I'm apprehensive about meeting people in my area as all of the pictures and threads I read just ooze this "ahah we are geeks aren't we *puffs inhaler, snorts when laughing".

One of my local groups meets up and plays at a Hardee's...

So anyone in Gainesville who is nothing like this want to play boardgames with me :/

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
...good lord, is that man wearing cat ears?

...is PYF leaking?

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Honestly I don't think your group looks that bad. They looks fairly normal. I've seen and suffered through worse. Far far worse...

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

systran posted:

One of my local groups meets up and plays at a Hardee's...

So anyone in Gainesville who is nothing like this want to play boardgames with me :/

That looks like one of those PYF Macros type group photos (usually of people with birth defects, physical deformity, and the like) where they make up nicknames for everyone.

Not everyone in the photo looks weird/bad, but it's just the pose that begs for that sort of thing.

VVVVV I think that's why that came to mind

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Who's the :smug: goon second from right?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Kiranamos posted:

Core Worlds is still not that great unless you enjoy trying to set everything up perfectly for the last and only turn in the game where you can buy the game-winning cards.

I bought Core Worlds and Eminent Domain, I already own Race for the Galaxy and the only one of the three I got rid of was Core Worlds. Maybe with the expansion it would be better, but seriously you just sort of wander through the mid game trying to collect some stuff in your deck that is similar and then at the very end make a grab for the cards that will score you a ton of points. I really wanted to like Core Worlds but the game I wanted it to be just wasn't there and the game that was there was pretty boring.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Even worse is if you share a common interest in one of the cards with one of your opponents, which isn't hard to do. He happens to be in front of you in turn order at the end of the game? Whoops, sorry.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

systran posted:

So anyone in Gainesville

My family lives in Gainesville so I'm going back there for Christmas in a few days. But won't have any time to play games. I'm trying to picture which Hardees you are at.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I won't be in Gainesville during the holidays anyway =(

I've never met with that group in the picture, I just found their Facebook page and read that they meet at Hardee's. I was looking for a Facebook group because I had a bad experience with ANOTHER group here and was seeing if there was a less creepy group. (the group not pictured had two or three okay people in it but most were extremely weird including a girl with a sonic the hedgehog shirt who I'm almost certain wrote slash fanfic).

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

systran posted:

I won't be in Gainesville during the holidays anyway =(

Hey to be fair, half the people in there could pass for normal. It's just the weird REALLY stands out especially with the guy in the cat ears.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!

PaybackJack posted:

The only one of the three I got rid of was Core Worlds. Maybe with the expansion it would be better, but seriously you just sort of wander through the mid game trying to collect some stuff in your deck that is similar and then at the very end make a grab for the cards that will score you a ton of points. I really wanted to like Core Worlds but the game I wanted it to be just wasn't there and the game that was there was pretty boring.

I've always wondered if this game was actually any good.

A friend of mine introduced our 5 person group to the game with next to no explanation, so everyone else at the table just kinda guessed at what to buy. At the end of the game we just found out that there wasn't anything else to buy other than these giant victory cards which half the table couldn't buy.

But even if we knew the game upfront, the problem with the game is that it's just far too long for a drafting game.

Initio fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 21, 2012

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

I want to be able to answer this, as I have all the Quarriors expansions and enjoy them, but to be honest I can't think of any rules they changed in them aside from cleaning up the play area with some more defined "zones" to get rid of some ambiguity. The core gameplay is largely the same as it was with the base game, as far as I know. Unless my group dove into Quarmageddon / Qladiator without reading the rulebook and thus are oblivious to any changes, which is possible I suppose? :raise:

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Buckwheat Sings posted:

It's just the weird REALLY stands out especially with the guy in the cat ears.

Even cat people like to play board games every now and then.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I found a shop a town away that apparently has meet-ups. I found their facebook page a couple days ago to get an idea of what they're into. The latest post was this:

quote:

We will be having a board game night on Friday, December 21st! Currently, we have someone bringing SPANC, Zombies, and Munchkin to share and teach! If anyone else would like to run a game or help out, come see Derald at The Mattcave, or talk to Matt over at the Cavalcade!

This received some likes.

Alright, not really the type of games I want to play. So I replied and said I could maybe drop by and listed the games I currently own which include:

Galaxy Trucker
Space Alert
Arkham Horror(3 expansions)
BSG
CITOW (Horned Rat)
7 Wonders
Dominion
Descent 2nd Edition

Crickets.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
I looked up SPANC.

Well, that fits perfectly what was being discussed.

No meet ups in my area, but I live in a town of thousand or so people. It's insane.

How about you all move here and we can get something going? A colony.

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a
My local group is mostly adult professionals and college students, so thankfully not too much weirdness. Though at the last meet, I did have to point out to a guy that he was wearing a fedora AND cargo shorts AND a duster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Ledhed posted:

Though at the last meet, I did have to point out to a guy that he was wearing a fedora AND cargo shorts AND a duster.

I swear, there is one of those guys at nearly every FLGS I've been to.

• Locked thread