Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Just passed the JN0-101 test today for JNCIA-JUNOS, which seems to be a prereq for all of the more advanced Juniper certs. There were a lot more enterprise routing questions on the test than I expected, including specific details about OSPF, BGP, and RIP. Some questions wanted to know specific route export commands, and others were about which routes take preference when, etc. Definitely study up on the routing portion of JunOS if you're looking to take this exam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Is anyone planning to schedule a Microsoft exam before the 31st? I have a 15% off voucher that I have no chance of being able to use, so my loss is your gain! Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you the code. The exam must be taken on or before 31-Dec.

e: wrong date

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is it better to just take the ICND1 then the 2nd exam later just to have the Entry-level network tech cert in the meantime? It seems like a good option and something to throw on the resume while you finish up for the full ccna.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sylink posted:

Is it better to just take the ICND1 then the 2nd exam later just to have the Entry-level network tech cert in the meantime? It seems like a good option and something to throw on the resume while you finish up for the full ccna.

I preferred the one test when I took my ccna back in the day. However there really isn't much in upside anymore. You aren't saving much money and you are still going to have to master just as much.

Take the two tests and do your best. Ccent isn't exactly something you see popup on job openings, but it can't exactly hurt.

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
Definitely take the two tests. CCENT isn't really even a thing, like, to the level that I chuckle to myself when I see people listing it in signatures/resumes, but there are still several good reasons to take the tests separately.

1) You split the costs between two tests, so you have less material to cover in each given test. This way, if you bomb one, you're only out $125 or whatever it is rather than a full $250.

2) The second test covers a lot more of the Cisco specific 'harder' material. The first test is a lot of basic networking. I haven't taken the combined test, but from what I hear, it tends to place more emphasis on the ICND2 material, so you'll likely have a higher percentage of those 'harder' questions.

oogs
Dec 6, 2011
As a linux sysadmin with 6+ years experience, am I crazy to not care about certs?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

oogs posted:

As a linux sysadmin with 6+ years experience, am I crazy to not care about certs?

Only if you choose to leave your current position. If you have job security, paid well, don't plan on leaving, and your company doesn't give a poo poo about certs, then don't bother.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

oogs posted:

Do potential jobs you apply for look for them? Can you learn anything from the coursework?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

oogs posted:

Yes. It's just like not caring about a degree or any piece of knowledge that does not apply directly to your current position. It's about getting another job with more authority and more benefits. All the pieces matter.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not experienced enough to qualify for a CISSP, so I've been considering getting an SSCP instead. Is it worthwhile for someone who focuses on physical and network security?

oogs
Dec 6, 2011

IT Guy posted:

Only if you choose to leave your current position. If you have job security, paid well, don't plan on leaving, and your company doesn't give a poo poo about certs, then don't bother.

I have 3 out of 4. I know I'll be leaving in 2 years (the reason is completely independent of my job - spouse will pursue a postdoc position in a different city).

madmaan posted:

Do potential jobs you apply for look for them? Can you learn anything from the coursework?

I have yet to see one that requires RHCE explicitly - maybe that's due to the area I work in, I don't know. I understand that I should get more $ if I have one, and it would make me more desirable employee-wise. The coursework might teach me a few things that I haven't run in to while at work (i.e. cups servers, red hat paid features), but I don't expect it to completely redefine how I work and what I'm doing. Later/higher courses would definitely teach me new things.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yes. It's just like not caring about a degree or any piece of knowledge that does not apply directly to your current position. It's about getting another job with more authority and more benefits. All the pieces matter.

Funny thing about that - I got my degree after I got my job, and the (engineering) degree was just for HR purposes at that point. I haven't had trouble switching jobs and moving up ($ & position-wise).

I'm aiming for a senior position (i.e. Sr. Linux Sysadmin) or a higher-paid intermediate position when I move 2 years from now. I realize certs will help. My question was based on my experience while job hunting, interviewing, and working - linux sysadmin certs don't seem to be the end-all be-all like it is in networking or MS-land.

oogs fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 21, 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
I think the very nature of Linux is what makes it a lot easier to get by without certifications.

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
RHCE probably wouldn't be too difficult and would be worthwhile to grab. My company has the highest number of RHCEs in the world (short of Red Hat itself and the US Government... if you count that as a company) and even we don't have any positions that absolutely require it as far as I know. Strongly preferred for some, sure, but not a requirement (at least to be hired).

Even Red Hat itself doesn't require the cert outright, except maybe for instructor positions that require the cert in order to teach the material. Most of the positions say something like 'RHCE certified or ability to become certified within 30 days of hire'.

That said, I'm pretty proud of mine, despite the fact that I didn't find it very challenging when I sat the exam about two and a half years ago. Maybe some day I'll have a shot at RHCA.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
I have failed the drat Microsoft 70-680 three times now. Is there a book or something that actually has whats covered in the exam? Or anything you guys recommend for studying?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Senior Funkenstien posted:

I have failed the drat Microsoft 70-680 three times now. Is there a book or something that actually has whats covered in the exam? Or anything you guys recommend for studying?

The press book covers everything in the exam. It however doesn't put do a great job at making everything seem important. For example, notice how sometimes you will see a picture of something with text underneath it? What is covered in that pictures description could be something unique that doesn't show up in the chapter and will end up on the test.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Win...s=microsoft+680 Was the author of the edition i used I believe. The 3rd party books generally a little easier to read and focus more on you passing the test than going over the pure coursework.

You have already seen 3 version of the test. You should know by now what you feel weak on.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

madmaan posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Win...s=microsoft+680 Was the author of the edition i used I believe. The 3rd party books generally a little easier to read and focus more on you passing the test than going over the pure coursework.

I used this one also with good results. I remember doing one of the exercises in the MS press book and couldn't get it to work like they said it should. So I looked up the errata online, and the entire exercise was stricken. I pretty much lost my confidence I the text at that point and switched to the sybex one. I did use the companion cd from the microsoft one for the practice tests though, which I thought were good.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
So I've got CompTIA Security+ and Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7 (70-680 and 70-686). I want to go for more server-y stuff next, so I think I'm gonna go for the Enterprise Administrator certs. 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, and 70-647. Are there any reasons (other than time/money) I may want to just go with the Server Administrator track instead?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

So I've got CompTIA Security+ and Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7 (70-680 and 70-686). I want to go for more server-y stuff next, so I think I'm gonna go for the Enterprise Administrator certs. 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, and 70-647. Are there any reasons (other than time/money) I may want to just go with the Server Administrator track instead?

Nope. If you have already done the 680 you might as well just go for the EA. The EA gets more HR spin.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

643 and 647 retire in July so you would have to go fast if you want MCITP: EA. You can either do MCSA: Windows Server 2008 (640, 642, 646) or go right to MCSA: Windows Server 2012 (410, 411, 412). If you do the Server 2012 track then you only need 2 more exams for MCSE Server 2012. Or you can put them towards MCSE Desktop 2012 which also only needs 2 more exams.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Where did you see the exam expiration's?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

I really like the 2012 curriculum. Saying that, if the past is any hint of the future you might be, you might spend more time than you would like with HR depts who don't know what the gently caress your cert is.

Microsoft was really way too aggessive retiring the 2008 curriculum this early. 2012 isn't close to reaching maturity.

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006
I love the smell of sulfur in the morning...

Tab8715 posted:

See the link below for a list of MCTS certs. If you scroll down and expand the Windows Server section, you'll see asterisks next to exam numbers. Scroll down farther to see what expiration date those exams have (where they'll no longer be available).

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcts-certification.aspx

I'm currently pursuing my MCITP: EA cert. The expiration deadline helps keep me motivated. I have my 70-680 so I still need the 640, 642, 643, and 647 within a 6-7 month time frame, leaving a little time buffer in case I fail one. Madmaan told me the 680 and 642 were the worst tests so I went for those first for some reason.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.

Strike Anywhere posted:

See the link below for a list of MCTS certs. If you scroll down and expand the Windows Server section, you'll see asterisks next to exam numbers. Scroll down farther to see what expiration date those exams have (where they'll no longer be available).

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcts-certification.aspx

I'm currently pursuing my MCITP: EA cert. The expiration deadline helps keep me motivated. I have my 70-680 so I still need the 640, 642, 643, and 647 within a 6-7 month time frame, leaving a little time buffer in case I fail one. Madmaan told me the 680 and 642 were the worst tests so I went for those first for some reason.

That's what I'm thinking for myself. If I know I have to have all four tests done in the next 7 months, I will be motivated to study. From now, that's a little less than 8 weeks study time for each exam.

Sulphuric Sundae fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 22, 2012

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

madmaan posted:

The press book covers everything in the exam. It however doesn't put do a great job at making everything seem important. For example, notice how sometimes you will see a picture of something with text underneath it? What is covered in that pictures description could be something unique that doesn't show up in the chapter and will end up on the test.

You have already seen 3 version of the test. You should know by now what you feel weak on.

Thanks a lot madmaan. I'll get that and read it for my next try. Its all the minutia that kicks my rear end. Not to mention the test is different every time so the score report doesn't help any.

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran
Bear in mind that if you've got MCITP Desktop Administrator, you can upgrade to MCSA Server 2012 with one exam (70-417) so you don't actually need to do the three separate 2008 or 2012 exams although you'll need to cover the material in your studying. Then it's two additional exams to whichever of the MCSE 2012 qualifications you fancy.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
CISSP in 4 days, not sure I am ready yet. Is it as bad as they say?

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

Foma posted:

I can't answer your question since I haven't taken the test myself, but I would be curious to hear back from you after you take the test. Are you going for the full thing, or the Associate of ISC toward CISSP? Also, do you have any other security related certs like Security+ or SSCP?

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Belle Isle Tech posted:

I can't answer your question since I haven't taken the test myself, but I would be curious to hear back from you after you take the test. Are you going for the full thing, or the Associate of ISC toward CISSP? Also, do you have any other security related certs like Security+ or SSCP?

Full thing, I have the 5 years in Infosec for it. I have ITIL foundations to my name, but no security certs.

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
Disclaimer: Haven't actually sat the test, though I was prepping for quite a while before I got sidetracked and had the opportunity to be instructed by someone who has been writing questions for the bank for over a decade.

None of the questions are particularly difficult. Because they draw on the community to generate questions, you'll undoubtedly get a few from someone who would rather test your reading comprehension than your understanding of the material, so expect questions that try to trip you up. Read all the questions and answers thoroughly.

There are something like ~10,000 possible questions you can get. Think about what kind of people tend to have CISSP certifications. Chances are, most of the ones you know have a background in one or two specific disciplines. People tend to write questions on the subjects they know the most about, so you're more likely to get questions from certain domains than others. It should be pretty obvious which ones. Hopefully you have a background in a few of them; focus your studies on the areas you're weakest in that you think will have more questions.

Jesus Stick
Dec 14, 2004

Bomb Hills, Not Countries

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

That's what I'm thinking for myself. If I know I have to have all four tests done in the next 7 months, I will be motivated to study. From now, that's a little less than 8 weeks study time for each exam.

That sounds like the worst thing I've ever heard.

That said, I HIGHLY suggest 640 first. I, amongst others, think it was the worst of the MCITP:EA tests and covers the biggest range of new concepts if you don't have a lot of server admin experience.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Jesus Stick posted:

That sounds like the worst thing I've ever heard.

That said, I HIGHLY suggest 640 first. I, amongst others, think it was the worst of the MCITP:EA tests and covers the biggest range of new concepts if you don't have a lot of server admin experience.

Isn't this backwards? I started reading the 640 but I think I need to know how to configure a server before messing with AD.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Foma posted:

I went in thinking I was very ill-prepared. Work sent us to a 5day class that was worthless and I refused to read the Shaun Harris book. So instead, I listened to a bunch of videos on my drive to Atlanta (5hrs) to take the test the next day.

When I took it, I got a test that was heavy around networking / access control / disaster recovery, which played well to my strengths (12yrs a network engineer). I left thinking I failed and was really surprised to get an email saying I passed.

Not sure if the test has changed since I took it back in 2011, but it was a 250 question scan-tron exam, 25 of the questions do not count as they are beta questions for the next exam. You have something like 5hrs to complete the exam and I was done in little over an hour.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I passed the 70-461 (Querying SQL Server 2012) exam a couple of weeks ago. I've always had some interest in SQL but am using the exams as a blueprint for topics to study or look into.

I think the most frustrating thing about the 2012 series of Microsoft exams is that the exams have come out long before the materials to study with are available. There are a number of books for the SQL and Server series that aren't even available until April 2013, many months after both Server and SQL 2012 were released. There are plenty of other resources, but the thing I like about the exam prep series is the mapping between the book and exam objectives.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004

routenull0 posted:

I went in thinking I was very ill-prepared. Work sent us to a 5day class that was worthless and I refused to read the Shaun Harris book. So instead, I listened to a bunch of videos on my drive to Atlanta (5hrs) to take the test the next day.

When I took it, I got a test that was heavy around networking / access control / disaster recovery, which played well to my strengths (12yrs a network engineer). I left thinking I failed and was really surprised to get an email saying I passed.

Not sure if the test has changed since I took it back in 2011, but it was a 250 question scan-tron exam, 25 of the questions do not count as they are beta questions for the next exam. You have something like 5hrs to complete the exam and I was done in little over an hour.

It moved to computer this year (thank god), but same 250 questions 25 don't count. I hope mine focuses on Legal, Access, and DR. If I get Network, Crypto, and Architecture. I might be in trouble.

Graves
Feb 10, 2002

Ask me about the time I posted a thread in GBS with a full confession on how I stabbed a man to death with my pocket knife
I've got Network+, Security+ and Oracle Certified Associate (Database 11g Admin). I'm going to take the OCP when I have the time to throw at studying a bit more.

The OCA is broken down into two tests, SQL Fundamentals and Admin I. They're both pretty serious compared to the CompTIA tests. The SQL test includes some seriously convoluted statements and "trick" questions. It has a pretty high failure rate from what I've heard, even though it is unproctored. I would guess this is due to the fairly lengthy questions and time limit. You need to really know your general syntax as well as some nitty-gritty details about functions. You will not have time to look them up as you go.

The Admin I centers around core Oracle RDBMS functionality. It's a pretty serious test as well, and is proctored. You need to know pretty much the full range of basic admin tasks and concepts: physical and logical storage architecture, user creation and management, memory structures, networking and a lot more. For me, this test was easier than the SQL test, but that is likely because I have a lot more Sys Admin experience than direct development.

As I said, I should be taking the OCP very soon. It looks at some more in-depth concepts of the core RDBMS, but mostly concentrates on obscure recovery processes and ancillary systems. The breadth of topics involved in it is daunting to say the least, and on top of that it requires a paid ($3000) class from Oracle to qualify. I can say, without question, that that class was the worst technical training I've ever received, by far.

I was told by an Oracle University trainer that they intentionally make this certification track difficult and expensive in order to make it exclusive. I don't doubt the truth of that, at all.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

How much did you learn from the OCA? How long did you study and how much did it cost?

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

Anyone care to chime in on how long it takes (hours or otherwise) to do some of the certs like N+, S+, CCNA? I'm still trying to figure out where I want to go in my career path so at the bare minimum I want to finish N+ to build a solid knowledge of networking concepts then move onto something like server administration, virtualization, etc. Ideally I'd like to have N+, S+ and RHSCA all within 6 months and then move onto other certs.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'd say at least 6-9 months for the CCNA. Maybe 1-3 months for basic CompTia certs.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
S+ can be done very, very casually in a month. If you're feeling rather spry, it could definitely be done in a week. CCNA will probably take 4-5 months if you're coming into it with no prior network or Cisco experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

SPICE MUST FLOW posted:

Anyone care to chime in on how long it takes (hours or otherwise) to do some of the certs like N+, S+, CCNA? I'm still trying to figure out where I want to go in my career path so at the bare minimum I want to finish N+ to build a solid knowledge of networking concepts then move onto something like server administration, virtualization, etc. Ideally I'd like to have N+, S+ and RHSCA all within 6 months and then move onto other certs.

That's a really loaded question.

How much experience do you have in said area's?
How (quickly) do you learn?
You say you are still trying to figure out stuff, but what interests you right now?

Getting a bunch of certs if fine, but if rush through them only going for the test requirements, you might miss out on learning some of the important concepts that will help you day to day.