Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

What are the good training classes to take though VMware? It looks like ICM 5.1 is probably the place to start. I think I get them all for free, so I might as well take the cool ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

DevNull posted:

What are the good training classes to take though VMware? It looks like ICM 5.1 is probably the place to start. I think I get them all for free, so I might as well take the cool ones.

http://mylearn.vmware.com/portals/www/mL.cfm?menu=topfreecourses

Free e-learning courses from VMware.

Oh you mean 5.1 in specific. I can get some links
http://www.amazon.com/VMware-vSphere-5-1-Clustering-Deepdive/dp/1478183411/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356023394&sr=1-1&keywords=HA+drs
http://blog.scottlowe.org/
http://www.vhersey.com/
http://professionalvmware.com/brownbags/
http://www.yellow-bricks.com/

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 20, 2012

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

DevNull posted:

If you get them for free, no reason not to take the Fast Track instead of ICM. I think ICM would be pretty boring for anyone with a decent hold on the platform.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

We really didn't care who we'd end up with and the Cisco's best bid still ended up 3x what dell wanted in the end.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

I mean from these courses: http://mylearn.vmware.com/courseware/151680/CourseCatalog-Oct2012.pdf

Mierdaan posted:

If you get them for free, no reason not to take the Fast Track instead of ICM. I think ICM would be pretty boring for anyone with a decent hold on the platform.

That actually looks much better. I don't exactly need them to explain to me what a VM is, but learning the storage and networking stuff would be nice. The View stuff would also probably be helpful. Are those classes any good?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I really disliked fast track. It might be due to the fact I read a lot the NEW stuff in my free time, and I also downloaded the blueprint and researched some of it prior to taking it. Most of the Fast Track and 2-5 day courses for VMware are the most stale things ever.

There is a view course in that link I posted up near the top of the page, it's pretty good. Amazon has two books on view

http://www.amazon.com/VMware-View-Building-Successful-Technology/dp/032182234X/
Waiting on this one

http://www.amazon.com/VMware-View-Desktop-Virtualization-Solutions/dp/1849681120/
This one I have, it's pretty good and gives a lot of real world stuff that is useful. As far a view 5.1 and coming soon 5.2, I tend to just nab the release notes and crawl VMware's site on anything.

Also there is a vmware press, might have some use for you. http://www.pearsonitcertification.com/promotions/promotion.aspx?promo=138356

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Corvettefisher posted:

That's a UCS for you, each of these were probably in the range of 24k each.
I am not sure how you optioned those, but we were looking at around $10k each for dual e5-2670 procs, single 10gbe nic + onboard 1gbe, and 96GB of ram. No disks. This was in april.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I'm tearing my hair out trying to get the Dell Management Center plugin working with 5.1. I'm pretty sure I have the vibs installed and I deployed the Virtual Center ovf and set it up. But at the end of the day, it doesn't want to connect and keeps giving me a web server communication error.

Ideas?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

adorai posted:

I am not sure how you optioned those, but we were looking at around $10k each for dual e5-2670 procs, single 10gbe nic + onboard 1gbe, and 96GB of ram. No disks. This was in april.

Not to different however mine have a DAS setup due to the environment the will be going to. That was MSRP, I am not sure what sales does with it and brings it down to.

RevKrule posted:

I'm tearing my hair out trying to get the Dell Management Center plugin working with 5.1. I'm pretty sure I have the vibs installed and I deployed the Virtual Center ovf and set it up. But at the end of the day, it doesn't want to connect and keeps giving me a web server communication error.

Ideas?

Does the error have anything like 401/404/500 etc? or just a blank page?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Here's a link to the exact image. I can't even get to the setup wizard.

http://i.imgur.com/rFt8G.png

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

You have http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470890800/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER in the OP. Will that still be pretty good, or will enough stuff have changed in 5.1?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Corvettefisher posted:

Not to different however mine have a DAS setup due to the environment the will be going to. That was MSRP, I am not sure what sales does with it and brings it down to.
I would assume it is 44% off MSRP for hardware and 15% for smartnet. Maybe 48% if you were buying enough of them at once.

I only say that because I don't want people in this thread to hate on UCS for the price when it really is a very nice platform, and in reality the cisco tax isn't that high on it. The seemingly high price includes a >$1k 10Gbe NIC, a lot of RAM, and their ILO product is included, not an extra $500. A nice surprise when we bought ours is that they include sdcard slots on the motherboard, and ship with an 8GB sdcard in them for loading ESXi onto. It's probably $20 total in additional cost but is very nice to have.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
That's a typical discount for Cisco network gear, but UCS discounts are actually quite a bit higher. We're not really supposed to share specific percentages like that, are we? The whole IT purchasing thing (deal registrations especially) seems incredibly dishonest sometimes.

UCS blades were price competitive with DL360s for us in quantities above 10 and quite a bit cheaper than HP c-class blades with their 20 different management products.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

DevNull posted:

You have http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470890800/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER in the OP. Will that still be pretty good, or will enough stuff have changed in 5.1?

As of now that is still 5.0.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Have fun getting ripped off on Smartnet even if you get UCS cheaply.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

KS posted:

That's a typical discount for Cisco network gear, but UCS discounts are actually quite a bit higher. We're not really supposed to share specific percentages like that, are we? The whole IT purchasing thing (deal registrations especially) seems incredibly dishonest sometimes.
I certainly never signed any kind of NDA. If a vendor wants to play the stupid discount game instead of just giving me a price that he makes a small profit and I don't get bent over, I have no problem discussing the discount.

three posted:

Three years was somewhere around $1000/chassis if I recall correctly.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

Actually that's the least complaint I have on UCS servers, 24x7x4 is really not that bad compared to dell/hp.

KS posted:

UCS blades were price competitive with DL360s for us in quantities above 10 and quite a bit cheaper than HP c-class blades with their 20 different management products.

If I recall, it depends on your partner level(Gold will get better than silver), when the deal was registered, how much the BOM is, and something else maybe product variation.

RevKrule posted:

Yeah I would be on the phone will dell. You are using the dell ESXI image right?
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/driverdetails?driverid=F40KH

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 21, 2012

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Corvettefisher posted:

Yeah I would be on the phone will dell. You are using the dell ESXI image right?
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/driverdetails?driverid=F40KH

I was hoping not to have to call them but looks like my day is planned.

I used the dell image for the initial install last year but updated to 5.1 using VUM but I have the dell repo attached to VUM too so I ASSUME that any dell updates would apply as well (of which a scan tell me my hosts and vms are all up to date).

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
It looks like we are going to evaluate 2012 Hyper-V as a possible/probable replacement for our XenServer workloads in a month or two.

Are there any good "Hyper-V for a vSphere/XenServer admin" type materials out there? Any recommendations on RSS feeds or whatnot?

I've been out of the Windows Server admin world for a few years now, but the good news is I have been trying to keep my Powershell fairly sharp - this ought to be fun :)

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Hyper-V-Deployment-Aidan-Finn/dp/0470876530/
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Server-2012-Hyper-V-Cookbook/dp/1849684421

Is where I would start

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Fancy_Lad posted:

It looks like we are going to evaluate 2012 Hyper-V as a possible/probable replacement for our XenServer workloads in a month or two.

Are there any good "Hyper-V for a vSphere/XenServer admin" type materials out there? Any recommendations on RSS feeds or whatnot?

I've been out of the Windows Server admin world for a few years now, but the good news is I have been trying to keep my Powershell fairly sharp - this ought to be fun :)

Are you familiar with managing Windows Server Core? If not then that would definitely be a good place to start (Unless you intend on running HyperV on normal Windows Server hosts).

Also out of interest what workloads are your XenServer hosts handling at the moment (Just curious as there's very little XenServer talk in this thread)?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Just pinging back about a server thread as it is slow today, I'll tackle UCS is others want to tackle something else. I think it could be pretty useful for some of the drivers, bugs, and zany poo poo people see.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

Just pinging back about a server thread as it is slow today, I'll tackle UCS is others want to tackle something else. I think it could be pretty useful for some of the drivers, bugs, and zany poo poo people see.

As I mentioned earlier I'd be more than happy to contribute info on the IBM side of things, specifically with System x servers and BladeCentre chassis/servers/modules.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Thanks for the links. As for server core, I've never managed one beyond fiddling with in a VM from time to time. My past life was about 80% automated workstation deployment and software packaging, 20% Windows server admin to support those desktops (file servers, wsus, stuff like that) so command line, scripting, and GPOs are something I'm quite familiar with, albeit rusty I'm sure.

Assuming license costs don't come into the picture (University with a site-wide MS license - part of the push here), is a server core installation worth the added hurdles on the management end?

cheese-cube posted:

Also out of interest what workloads are your XenServer hosts handling at the moment (Just curious as there's very little XenServer talk in this thread)?

Right now it is entirely XenApp and XenDesktop and really the only reason why we have it is because it came free with the licensing deal (but only for Citrix products).

Since it doesn't really matter what hypervisor XA/XD are running on, we have a push to evaluate the "free" Hyper-V option, and the whole "Microsoft only really supports their poo poo on hardware or Hyper-V" situation (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897615) it likely means unless we run into serious issues that we will probably sunset our XenServer support so we don't have to run 3 hypervisors and ride with vSphere and Hyper-V.

To be honest, XenServer has enough stupid quirks that I'm cautiously optimistic about the change. Mostly likely I'll just get to start bitching about stupid Microsoft quirks instead tho :toot:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Fancy_Lad posted:

Assuming license costs don't come into the picture (University with a site-wide MS license - part of the push here), is a server core installation worth the added hurdles on the management end?

Server Core has a lot less overhead compared to a normal Windows Server install so ideally your HyperV hosts should be running Server Core. Management wise there is really no difference. All you really have to do is configure the hosts for remote management and then you can just use RSAT.

AFAIK Server Core isn't licensed any differently than Windows Server Standard/Datacentre.

Fancy_Lad posted:

To be honest, XenServer has enough stupid quirks that I'm cautiously optimistic about the change. Mostly likely I'll just get to start bitching about stupid Microsoft quirks instead tho :toot:

Don't get me started on XenServer quirks. I was once stuck in the office till 4:00AM due to a XenServer cluster deciding to play silly buggers...

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

cheese-cube posted:

Server Core has a lot less overhead compared to a normal Windows Server install so ideally your HyperV hosts should be running Server Core. Management wise there is really no difference. All you really have to do is configure the hosts for remote management and then you can just use RSAT.

Makes sense and really doesn't sound too bad. Is SCVMM worthwhile? It looks like Server 2012 support is only available in the SP1 beta. Will this be the start of my bitching about Microsoft's quirks? :D

cheese-cube posted:

AFAIK Server Core isn't licensed any differently than Windows Server Standard/Datacentre.

I just assumed you were talking about the free standalone Hyper-V server since it is a core-only install. :)

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

cheese-cube posted:

As I mentioned earlier I'd be more than happy to contribute info on the IBM side of things, specifically with System x servers and BladeCentre chassis/servers/modules.

Yeah that would be great, I was just seeing if there were any Dell/HP people out there wanting to chip in.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Corvettefisher posted:

Yeah that would be great, I was just seeing if there were any Dell/HP people out there wanting to chip in.

I know HP servers/blades pretty well. I also know enough to stay away from Dell. :)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I know enough about Dells to know that if you get broadcom nics in it, you're committing suicide on your virtual server (at least vmware).

Actually, other than the hair pulling situation of getting their management poo poo working with vmware recently, there haven't been too many problems from the Dell side here (4 host cluster).

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Fancy_Lad posted:

Please tell me more. I am considering a 6 to 10 host xenserver deployment for a 700 user VDI initiative, and really don't want the spend the money for ESXi processor licenses when xenserver is "free". We are already licensed for XenDesktop, so going with View is not an option.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

XenDesktop is better than VMware View anyways. I've used XenServer quite a bit. It's really very similar to ESXi, although I haven't touched a newer vSphere install. I'm curious as to why people have problems with it. Does the job well enough, and even the free version has "vMotion", unlike ESXi.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
XenServer really isn't bad - especially when you get Enterprise for free with your XD license. The problem is when you are working with both vCenter and XenCenter side by side every day it is really hard not to notice where XenServer is lacking. It is getting better and with Storage XenMotion in 6.1, I'd say most functionality is covered.

We really haven't had any major issues with our 13 XS hosts - no outages that weren't caused by hardware. What we have seen the most of is just stupid piddly quirks, usually compounded by where we separate duties. My team only supports the storage, hardware, and hypervisor. We provision VMs for the admins, but they do everything else themselves.

A great example of an annoying quirk that I've run across (and has been happening since we started with XS 5.6 FP1 all the way to 6.1) is that apparently XenApp has a tenancy to hang when the VM is rebooted. If the VM admin told it to reboot from within XenCenter and then after noticing that it is hung attempts a forced reboot it will queue up the force reboot and wait until the graceful reboot request times out (1 hour) before moving forward with it. If the VM admin tries to cancel the graceful reboot in the GUI, it won't actually cancel. They end up contacting us and we have to drop to the XS console and do a force cancel on the hung shutdown task that doesn't actually cancel about half the time. If it doesn't cancel the next step is to do a "xe-toolstack-restart" on the pool master that will drop all XenCenter connections and cancel all pending tasks. Now about 1 in 10 times that doesn't even work and we end up having to manually kill the VM domain to get it to freaking shutdown. We have tried to educate our VM admins to never never never do a "Shutdown" from XenCenter - just do it from within the OS and then fallback to the forced shutdown option if it hangs and that has largely stopped us from hearing about this problem. Note that other VMs running on the host are just fine while we do what we need to do to to cancel the task and actually get the hung VM to reboot, but it is hard to believe that it still happens after so much time.

I'd say in environments where you don't have the separation to duties that we do that stuff like this would be less of an issue (after you see it once and know what to do), although still annoying. Get used to that xe-toolstack-restart command as it seems that is pretty much the first line of defense to anything that doesn't look like it is working correctly.

If you are interested in XenServer, the XenServer Master Classes are a good thing to check out. The hosts wander around a bit and tend to repeat subjects between the webinars, but overall there is some good information for someone unfamiliar with the product. I've been using XS for about 2 years now and still log on to listen in while doing something else. I don't tend to get all that much out of it these days, but they also have a live chat going on that is worth reading to see what other people are asking and having issues with that I just copy to read later. Here is a link to past recordings (unfortunately I don't believe you get the q/a chat with it tho) http://www.citrix.com/events/xenserver-master-class.html

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help if I can.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Fwiw we have the same problem with some of our xenapp guests on esxi 5.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

RevKrule posted:

Windows Firewall on your VC server? Or is it a Linux appliance?

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

I went to upgrade my Hyper-V cluster to Server 2012 this morning. I have two nodes consisting of Dell R410 servers.

And I forgot to check compatibility for the PERC S300 RAID, which turns out doesn't have a valid driver for Server 2012 and never will. Arrrrggg.

Now I've got to wait until I can get an H200 or H700 (which I should have purchased in the server in the first place).

three
Aug 9, 2007

I have been tinkering with Hyper-V 2012 and SCVMM 2012 SP1 this week, and so far I am split on my opinions of it. It has a lot of good things going for it, but then there are so many weird things that I don't like.

For example, when creating a cluster through SCVMM if it fails I am left with remnants of the failed attempt that I have to manually remove in order to try again. Failover clustering seems like Microsoft was like "welp, we got this clustering thing, might as well use it" instead of them developing something that is relatively seamless like VMware's FDM (or even their previous iteration).

I feel like it's layers on top of layers that don't necessarily all gel with each other and instead appear to be like they built a car with spare parts. It seems like a good car, but it's just weird.

Also, I really wish there was some standardization on naming conventions. Why call snapshots checkpoints? Why is the tab called 'Fabric'?

Also, why can't I cluster Hyper-V Server 2012 and Windows 2012 with Hyper-V feature together? Although, technically I'm not sure if you can cluster different SKUs of ESXi together... never ran into that.

Some other things that bothered me:
- I can't use the mouse in a VM Console window if I'm RDP'd into the server running the VM Console unless the guest (not the server) has integration tools installed.
- Mounting an ISO is just weird as hell. Why does the Hyper-V server need permission to the datastore and not the user I'm mounting it as?
- CSVs are not as simple as VMFS on a datastore.

Some things I like:
- You don't have to pay extra for vCloud Director-like functionality.
- Most of the stuff you do in the GUI has a little button to give you the Powershell code that would do the same thing (you can do similar things with Onyx for VMware but it's not nearly as easy or user friendly)
- To extend on the above, their dedication to the command line seems greater than VMware's even though PowerCLI is pretty rad.
- SCVMM supports other hypervisors out of the box instead of a ghetto, half-baked attempt like the new vCenter Multi-hypervisor Plugin from VMware.

Does anyone know of any good books that will teach me Hyper-V from a VMware Admins' view? I've been looking at the Cookbook, but would prefer something to really compare the two.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Anyone wanting to pitch in Dell servers for the thread I am making? Basically going over;
Product: Blerb about it
Series:
Drivers:
Product info: warranties, support, etc
Learning resources:
Bug's/zanyshit:

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Has anyone used any of the antivirus products that integrate with vShield Endpoint? Supposedly the antivirus engine is hosted in a virtual appliance and performs all of the scanning and updating from within that instead of inside each individual VM. Right now we have about ~15 server VMs, but we'll be moving to VDI sometime next year. I don't think it's a problem now, but as we add more VMs I can see how installing an AV client inside each one is going to start start creating a lot of overhead. VMWare only provides the API, and the AV vendors implement their own solutions. It looks like they all have trials and such, but I don't even know who to start with.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Raere posted:

Has anyone used any of the antivirus products that integrate with vShield Endpoint? Supposedly the antivirus engine is hosted in a virtual appliance and performs all of the scanning and updating from within that instead of inside each individual VM. Right now we have about ~15 server VMs, but we'll be moving to VDI sometime next year. I don't think it's a problem now, but as we add more VMs I can see how installing an AV client inside each one is going to start start creating a lot of overhead. VMWare only provides the API, and the AV vendors implement their own solutions. It looks like they all have trials and such, but I don't even know who to start with.

I know some people that have used McAfee MOVE and Trendmicro's product. The McAfee guy had lots of issues, but I've heard good things from Trendmicro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

three posted:

I know some people that have used McAfee MOVE and Trendmicro's product. The McAfee guy had lots of issues, but I've heard good things from Trendmicro.

I didn't mention it, but it goes without saying that I would never consider McAfee except maybe as a travel agent for South America.