Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Shhh. I'm on a secret mission in Thompson.

There are no hockey cards here, but I found one of these at the Walmart.

Edit for context: a /500 repaint of a McFarlane Carey Price. Retails for $16, sells for $125 ish on ebay.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Nice find. Variants are hard to get at retail, especially now that they say how rare they are right on them. I got the Peter Forsberg Nordiques one at Target and then went years without seeing one.

I'm still mad at them for making the Gretzky Burger King variant super rare. I think the ebay average on those is like $400.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Nice find. Variants are hard to get at retail, especially now that they say how rare they are right on them. I got the Peter Forsberg Nordiques one at Target and then went years without seeing one.

I'm still mad at them for making the Gretzky Burger King variant super rare. I think the ebay average on those is like $400.

A buddy of mine collects only variants, he has every wall in his bedroom completely covered with them. He collects them from any sport, any team, any player and has been doing so for about 10 years. I'd imagine he's sitting on a small goldmine by now.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

anotherblownsave posted:

A buddy of mine collects only variants, he has every wall in his bedroom completely covered with them. He collects them from any sport, any team, any player and has been doing so for about 10 years. I'd imagine he's sitting on a small goldmine by now.

I guess by sheer volume he might have some cash there. But lots of those figures wouldn't even fetch original retail value, never mind whatever premium he might have paid for the variants.

Legends hold a bit of value, but nobody really wants to give someone real money for a toy the looks like Anson Carter or Darcy Tucker, no matter what colour shirt he might be wearing.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Antifreeze Head posted:

Legends hold a bit of value, but nobody really wants to give someone real money for a toy the looks like Anson Carter or Darcy Tucker, no matter what colour shirt he might be wearing.

Example: Tommy Salo variant--no bids at any price. Patrick Roy Avs third jersey variant: sold for over $600.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Antifreeze Head posted:

I guess by sheer volume he might have some cash there. But lots of those figures wouldn't even fetch original retail value, never mind whatever premium he might have paid for the variants.

He only buys them as he sees them in the store, as far as I know anyway. I've seen him take all the figures off the shelves hunting for a variant, he even knows what day they get shipments haha. I don't think he ever has the intention of selling them again, but who knows. Back to hockey cards! As I've said I'm new to collecting hockey cards, I used to collect baseball cards, but that got old. So can anyone give me a very brief overview of which manufacturers are better for hockey cards? I know panini is very popular in this thread, and I've seen some UD. Any companies I should avoid?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Panini and UD are it for officially licensed product, there is also a company called In The Game (ITG) that makes cards, but not licensed with the NHLPA (it does have a license for team Canada though) so you won't see any team logos in the pictures on the cards. Between Panini and UD it's really buyers choice, both make some good sets, and some not good ones and they have products for every price point, from cheap just want cards with pictures of your favorite players (Victory, Score) to holy poo poo you spent how much on a pack (The CUp, Dominion).

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Gunjin posted:

Panini and UD are it for officially licensed product, there is also a company called In The Game (ITG) that makes cards, but not licensed with the NHLPA (it does have a license for team Canada though) so you won't see any team logos in the pictures on the cards. Between Panini and UD it's really buyers choice, both make some good sets, and some not good ones and they have products for every price point, from cheap just want cards with pictures of your favorite players (Victory, Score) to holy poo poo you spent how much on a pack (The CUp, Dominion).

Thanks! This helps a lot. What do you guys store your collection in? Right now I just have a couple clear box cases that hold my base cards, and I've been using plastic sleeves for my inserts. I want to narrow the focus of my collection eventually to just awesome inserts, and from there to my favorite players. So eventually I guess I'd need a binder or something, is that really the safest way to store my cards?

anotherblownsave fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 17, 2012

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Personally my favorites occupy the sort of lower middle end of the price spectrum. UD's Artifacts and Panini's Certified. Both are attractive sets with good hits in them at an almost reasonable price ($10~12 US per hobby pack).

Also be aware, there is frequently a difference between the packs you get in hobby stores, retail stores, and blaster boxes. Hobby are going to cost more, but they have the best odds of getting the insert cards, and some of the best cards aren't included in the retail packs at all. Blaster boxes vary but usually have odds that are better than retail but not as good as hobby (though this isn't always the case, sometimes grabbing blaster boxes at the local target is a good deal, you've just got to check around first, Certified last year was a guaranteed hit per blaster). Retail packs are usually gimped with lower odds and without some of the auto or memorabilia cards, though retail packs of UD series 1 were a good buy last year because the odds of the Young Guns cards were the same as hobby. (Young Guns are the de facto rookie card in the hockey world, and last year had a particularly valuable class).

One other thing to note, in the hockey world, a player cannot appear on a card until he has played an NHL game, so rookies won't appear in packs until sets that come out after the start of the season,sets that come out before then may have a numbered redemption card for each team, that is associated with a rookie later in the season once most teams have actually had a few of them play.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

Gunjin posted:

Personally my favorites occupy the sort of lower middle end of the price spectrum. UD's Artifacts and Panini's Certified. Both are attractive sets with good hits in them at an almost reasonable price ($10~12 US per hobby pack).

Also be aware, there is frequently a difference between the packs you get in hobby stores, retail stores, and blaster boxes. Hobby are going to cost more, but they have the best odds of getting the insert cards, and some of the best cards aren't included in the retail packs at all. Blaster boxes vary but usually have odds that are better than retail but not as good as hobby (though this isn't always the case, sometimes grabbing blaster boxes at the local target is a good deal, you've just got to check around first, Certified last year was a guaranteed hit per blaster). Retail packs are usually gimped with lower odds and without some of the auto or memorabilia cards, though retail packs of UD series 1 were a good buy last year because the odds of the Young Guns cards were the same as hobby. (Young Guns are the de facto rookie card in the hockey world, and last year had a particularly valuable class).

One other thing to note, in the hockey world, a player cannot appear on a card until he has played an NHL game, so rookies won't appear in packs until sets that come out after the start of the season,sets that come out before then may have a numbered redemption card for each team, that is associated with a rookie later in the season once most teams have actually had a few of them play.

Today I was at Target and they had a Certified blaster for $30 with 3 packs, so about the same price you would pay at a hobby store. Blaster had at least one auto or memorabilia card in it. I picked up a blaster of Black Diamond and got a Jordan Nolan quad diamond rookie gem, so that's..something.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

anotherblownsave posted:

Thanks! This helps a lot. What do you guys store your collection in? Right now I just have a couple clear box cases that hold my base cards, and I've been using plastic sleeves for my inserts. I want to narrow the focus of my collection eventually to just awesome inserts, and from there to my favorite players. So eventually I guess I'd need a binder or something, is that really the safest way to store my cards?

ITG is great for CHL type stuff, and have some of the best collections that are so much different then the two main brands. (Broadstreet bullies, superlative, HIstory of hockey)

UD and Panini are usually preference as stated. I personally prefer panini's card design, but UD really did well with this years Artifacts and is one of my favorite sets. Also, UD has a hate for Lehtonen lately. So panini gets marks.

I store my base in boxes seperated by set/year. My Inserts in another box seperated by set/year. My Memo cards all get a plastic sleeve (>/100). Anything less usually goes either in my Lehtonen collection frame, Stars Collection book, Or my to get rid of collection binders..which are getting terribly full.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

So much info, thank you guys. Now I feel (somewhat) qualified to break with you guys. It's going to be a lot of fun. I'll get a binder and some pages next week hopefully.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

anotherblownsave posted:

So much info, thank you guys. Now I feel (somewhat) qualified to break with you guys. It's going to be a lot of fun. I'll get a binder and some pages next week hopefully.

I sleeve top load everything With any value and box everything else. I have at least 10 thousand commons lying around.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Panini and UD are apples and apples. UD tends to have bigger hit potential having exclusive rights to Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr, but Panini tends to be more well rounded. Since the hobby tends to revolve around rookies, the Gretz/Orr thing is only so damning. Now that Panini has rights to Howe, the playing field has leveled. UD still maintains some historical preference with values though, see Young Guns.

Storing your cards right is very important! Boring base can be stored in any kind of bulk container: A shoe box, a plain white one, two, three or five rowed box, a dumpster, you get the idea. Every insert I get will eventually get put into a penny sleeve. These are the little, flimsy plastic sleeves you can buy in a bag of 100 for 1 or 2 dollars. They are the foundation of any storage, every card of value will likely be in a penny sleeve until you get to super high thickness. This prevents any kind of moisture from fingers from damaging the card, eases entry into other hard sleeves and keeps them from sticking together.

From there, more valuable inserts, rookies, mems (jersey, patch etc), and autos get put into hard plastic top loaders. These typically come in a pack of ~50 for ~$3. They add an extra layer of protection against bending, especially in corners. They are most of the time a must for shipping cards, unless you are shipping a large quantity in a hard plastic card box. Top loaders come in many sizes based on the thickness of the card. Standard size ones for plain rookies, autos and inserts, larger ones (140 point I believe) accommodate cards with some jersey bits, as well as some premium inserts and base put on the harder card stock, and super large ones (180 point) which are your patch and prime thickness. It is good to have a box of each on hand at all times.

The last kind of holder you need to concern yourself with are "One Touch" holders. These are two-piece holders with a hinge on one side and a magnet at the top to hold it closed. They are made of very hard acrylic, seal quite tight and many are treated to keep UV out. These cases are for the most valuable cards you have, be it $$ or sentiment. They run $3ish each, so not practical for every card you have, and come in your standard, 140 and 180 point sizes.

For display purposes, you can never go wrong with a few binders for your normal cards. I keep my complete base sets in binders and have accumulated quite a stack. My duplicate base, or base I am not set building from get stashed away in whatever box until I have time to deal with it (I recently donated about 15K base cards to the local library's rummage sale). I keep my inserts and rookies in a 2 row white box, sorted alphabetically. I keep my "normal" jersey cards in a couple of 1 row white boxes. I keep my higher end jersey/patches and all my autos in a separate 2 row white box. I keep the best of my best cards in two different wall display cases, including the bulk of my David Rundblad collection. Here is the wall display as of a few weeks ago, it has changed a lot recently:

And my secondary minor wall display, circa 2011:

The nice wall mount ran me $70 and is very, very nice. The second one I kinda ghettoed together from a frame I bought at Micheals, removed the plastic covering and double sided-taped some toploaders to the backer.

Wow that went on for a while. Well, welcome to hockey card collecting.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
DarkWolf summed up most of it, but looking at the whole industry, there is one major difference between Panini and Upper Deck: company issues.

Upper Deck was the industry leader for the longest time, as they were the first to do jersey cards and other technologies, they had all four pro sports licenses, they had Jordan and Gretzky as endorsers, et cetera. But they got sloppy or greedy on certain things, resulting in lost profits due to court battles and lost licenses due to bad relationships with leagues. Now, UD produces NHL hockey cards, NCAA football and basketball cards, and some other minor things.

The constant rumor is that Upper Deck is going under. Every couple months or so, someone mentions that UD is doing poorly and is having this, that, or whatever problems. With the NHL lockout, Upper Deck could really be hurting due to poor/non-existent hockey card sales.

----

That being said, I was grocery shopping and saw a three-pack of UD Black Diamond packs for $10 by the register. Grabbed one, just hoping for any kind of Red Wing.

First pack - double diamond card of Gilbert Perreault. Nothing too special, but I like the Sabres, so good hit. No Red Wings.

Second pack - Rookie Gems quad diamond of Jaden Schwartz. One of the best top-tier rookies in the product, and essentially a 1:24 hit. (Quads are 1:12, split between the All-Star veterans and the rookies. So a quad rookie is 1:24.) With three packs per blister pack...that's probably the best card that I could have pulled out of any of those packs there. No Red Wings, though.

Third pack - Completely satisfied with the three packs before even opening the last one, with the Schwartz. The middle card is different, a clear insert. Not my pic, but...

A Red Wing. Championship Rings insert card of Luc Robitaille, a case hit in either the hobby or retail versions. And of the guys that could have been pulled, I pulled a Red Wing.

Very happy with those packs, and now I'm done with Black Diamond for the year.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

A Red Wing. Championship Rings insert card of Luc Robitaille, a case hit in either the hobby or retail versions. And of the guys that could have been pulled, I pulled a Red Wing.

Very happy with those packs, and now I'm done with Black Diamond for the year.

Very nice! I was in a large break last night and got the LA Kings at 11th. In the BD box that was opened I got a Mike Richards championship rings. A few random Kings mem cards from different sets and a Luc Robitaille Decades rookie jersey gold /10. Solid enough! It was a very good break though, Edmonton hit 2 different high end RNH (Dominion horozontal patch parallel /93 and Cup Honorable Numbers /93) Flyers hit a Pelle Lindburgh jumbo pad from History of Hockey buyback and Pittsburgh hit a Lemieux Prime Colors patch that was absolutely sick, half of the old Pens shoulder penguin. The half that looks back at you.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

drat, the super break filled up before I got the funds for it. It's probably for the best, as I only know a little bit about hockey cards (I watch breaks on youtube more than collecting since the local places don't really get much new product) and I figure there's already someone who collects the Stars in the break.

darkwolf, if you ever run some sort of "newbie break" of low end product, it'd be super rad and get my cash.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

Swagger Dagger posted:

drat, the super break filled up before I got the funds for it. It's probably for the best, as I only know a little bit about hockey cards (I watch breaks on youtube more than collecting since the local places don't really get much new product) and I figure there's already someone who collects the Stars in the break.

darkwolf, if you ever run some sort of "newbie break" of low end product, it'd be super rad and get my cash.

You leave my stars alone! Well lehtonen...

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

Gunjin posted:

Panini and UD are it for officially licensed product, there is also a company called In The Game (ITG) that makes cards, but not licensed with the NHLPA (it does have a license for team Canada though)

Actually, they lost the Team Canada license almost last year. They awarded it to UD now, which is why you've probably noticed an uptick in Team Canada stuff from UD.
Example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wayne-Gretz...=item3f203752f8

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

LumpyGumby posted:

Actually, they lost the Team Canada license almost last year. They awarded it to UD now, which is why you've probably noticed an uptick in Team Canada stuff from UD.
Example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wayne-Gretz...=item3f203752f8

Oops, didn't catch that. I really don't follow ITG, they've got a couple interesting products but on a whole I just get a kind of cheesy knockoff vibe from them.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Is there strictly a set of Team Canada stuff? I'd be really interested in collecting that stuff.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

anotherblownsave posted:

Is there strictly a set of Team Canada stuff? I'd be really interested in collecting that stuff.

No, but it's in most of the products. Artifacts had a big chunk devoted to Team Canada, Black Diamond has some Team Canada jersey sets, The Cup included some amazing Team Canada patches.

Surmy
May 25, 2010

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

anotherblownsave posted:

ITG canada vs the world is the closest you'll find.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011
MAIL DAY.

Yay all the lehtonens...

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Swagger Dagger posted:

I plan on doing a break monthly. Varying price points. The last one we did was a Pinnacle case break at $36. That is kind of the minimum for a case.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011
You keep forgetting about all goalies....

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Ashekaban posted:

You keep forgetting about all goalies....

With my luck I'd get the Minnesota Wild.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

anotherblownsave posted:

With my luck I'd get the Minnesota Wild.

Ah but that is the beauty of the 15 man draft, you get 2 teams! The worst draw would be 15th and 16th which would land you the likes of say... Winnipeg and Ottawa. The only way you get Minnesota is if you get 1st or 2nd in which case shut up you got the Oilers or Avs

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

So on an impulse today I bought 3 packs of UD Black Diamond. I really like the look of these cards. I think I'm gonna buy more, but I did find something cool. Sorry for the blurry camera phone picture. It's a Team Canada "Double Diamond" jersey card. Casey Cizikas. I've never heard of him,(probably because he plays for the Islanders) but I'll hang on to the card, in case someday I do hear of him.

edit: I also got a Bobby Orr base card, I wonder why he is included in the set as a base.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

anotherblownsave fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 21, 2012

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

How many diamonds is Orr in this set? Most of the time the retired legends are quad diamonds and pretty tough pulls. Cizikas is supposed to be a pretty good prospect, so solid enough pull too.

To update everyone on the break, I will be watching my supplier for christmas sales and am ready to buy the cards if they do go on sale. I will be calling for payments after Christmas and giving everyone a couple weeks to get them in (no rush, if you need to wait until the 2nd week of January, that is 100% fine). When I get my schedule for the 2nd week of January, I will post a date and time for the break. Expect it to be around 8PM EST. With 15 boxes, it will likely take 3 hours fyi.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Not sure if this has been posted or not, but people pay this guy to open up packs of cards for them and he films it.

On his website, he provides video of his big pulls. Here are some of the big hockey pulls:

David Runblad NHLPA logo patch 1/1

Dante-Smith Pelly Rookie NHL Logo Shield Autograph 1/1

Simon Depres Rookie Patch Autograph Logoshield 1/1

Mike Modano game used NHL logo shield autograph 1/1

Wayne Gretzky Quad Patch 2/5

Steve Yzerman & Nicolas Lidstrom dual game used logo shield 1/1

8-way game used patch card #d/5

Henrik & Daniel Sedin Dual game used logo shield 1/1

Ilya Kovalchuk FULL Reebok logo patch 1/1

Alexander Ovechkin/Mike Green Dual Autograph & Dual Logo Shield 1/1

Wayne Gretzky Dual Patch Autograph #d/9

Edit: Jean Beliveau nameplate game used stick 1/1

Jubs fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 21, 2012

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

This might a little old news to some people but Ducks youngster Devante Pelly-Smith got busted for stamping instead of signing his auto cards.

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/collectors-stamp-out-controversy-devante-smith-pelly-stamp-autographs

Some dudes' signatures are lazy enough as it is but this is a new low. Good for the card companies for not accepting this.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

darkwolf220 posted:

How many diamonds is Orr in this set? Most of the time the retired legends are quad diamonds and pretty tough pulls. Cizikas is supposed to be a pretty good prospect, so solid enough pull too.

In recent seasons, Black Diamond has had legends and superstars in the base set in team uniforms, and the quad veterans as All-Star Game photos. Two Orrs in the set.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

In recent seasons, Black Diamond has had legends and superstars in the base set in team uniforms, and the quad veterans as All-Star Game photos. Two Orrs in the set.

Yeah this Orr is just a single diamond, looks to be selling on ebay for about a dollar. So nothing special. I was excited anyway because he's one of my favorite players ever. I put it in a hard case and I'll display it for my own personal enjoyment. I did get a 3 diamond (I hope I'm reading these cards correctly) Aaron Ness "Rookie Gems" card. So I got 3 cards I consider decent in 3 packs. I really like this set.

anotherblownsave fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 22, 2012

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Sorry for the double post, here is the Orr if you're interested Darkwolf. I think its a pretty sweet looking card.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!
Is Black Diamond still a Parallel hell?

I remember it was either 09/10 or 10/11 that was an absolute mess of parallels and inserts so collecting the whole set was a daunting task..

I really dug the design of the cards, even the bases, though.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Sharp_angus posted:

Is Black Diamond still a Parallel hell?

I remember it was either 09/10 or 10/11 that was an absolute mess of parallels and inserts so collecting the whole set was a daunting task..

I really dug the design of the cards, even the bases, though.

Looking at the checklists, it doesn't appear too bad. There's 100 base cards, and 100 of most of the insert sets. The design is cool as hell.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ

Jubs posted:

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but people pay this guy to open up packs of cards for them and he films it.

On his website, he provides video of his big pulls. Here are some of the big hockey pulls:

I live vicariously through his customer's orders for all the things I wish I could afford to break.

He'll post his annual rant video soon, if he hasn't already, which is basically him spending two+ hours breaking boxes for everyone who ordered from him or commented on a video.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

A customer at work attempted to sever my finger today with a kitchen knife :( It isn't too too bad, but if it sucks at healing, better push that 3 hr break to a 4 hr one lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

darkwolf220 posted:

A customer at work attempted to sever my finger today with a kitchen knife :( It isn't too too bad, but if it sucks at healing, better push that 3 hr break to a 4 hr one lol.

:(. Also, if you find a box around the price we discussed or a couple, just grab it if its on the Boxing Day sale. All I ask is it has the lehtonens.

• Locked thread