Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"

Jjaarreett posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk0E_xYJY6A

This song is guaranteed to brighten your day up no matter what :3:
Yeah... brighten... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I quite like Time To Make History. Just as well, I don't think I could survive another sixty hours of Reach Out To The Truth. It's bad enough when I hear it for Player Advantages and mini bosses.

Then again I had basically the same feelings for Wiping All Out.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Snix posted:

Yeah... brighten... :(

Well yeah it is a somber song but in the context of the game it felt really perfect. (Big huge endgame spoilers) It starts playing after you solve everything (sans Izanami fight) and it made me think, "drat I've come so far and done so much and I can just sit back and enjoy my time with my friends/family." It just makes me think of the good times the holidays bring :)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

ShadeofDante posted:

The new battle theme gets stuck in my head all the time now.

Every time I get the drop on a Shadow, I always think "ha, in your face" and then "poo poo, I like the other music better".

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"

Jjaarreett posted:

Well yeah it is a somber song but in the context of the game it felt really perfect. (Big huge endgame spoilers) It starts playing after you solve everything (sans Izanami fight) and it made me think, "drat I've come so far and done so much and I can just sit back and enjoy my time with my friends/family." It just makes me think of the good times the holidays bring :)
I understand where you're coming from, and it's a good song, but it also keeps reminding me that I'm going to be leaving Inaba soon.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Persona 4 Anime also added some absolutely fantastic tracks to the mix, while still using a lot of the old ones from the game.

Stuff like Alone in this world, Falling Down...

It also had a better final boss theme than the game itself: The Bond of Everyone's Souls.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Finally got that Risette trophy. :toot:

Thank you for running from that battle like a coward, Kanji. :patriot:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
How the hell do you get (alternate costume spoilers) the female Gekkoukan uniforms?

I've read conflicting reports of "Ace all the exams and talk to Kashiwagi in January" or "Ace all the exams and talk to Kashiwagi in February" but I've looked for her every day (and completed all her quests) and never got them. I'm in the February dungeon now, so I figure I've missed my chance, but I want to know for NG+.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Strange Quark posted:

Finally got that Risette trophy. :toot:

Thank you for running from that battle like a coward, Kanji. :patriot:

Any tips on how you accomplished this?

I didn't get it on my first playthrough (even after analyzing all the time...) and now starting and hoping to get it on my second playthrough.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

DarkHamsterlord posted:

How the hell do you get (alternate costume spoilers) the female Gekkoukan uniforms?

I've read conflicting reports of "Ace all the exams and talk to Kashiwagi in January" or "Ace all the exams and talk to Kashiwagi in February" but I've looked for her every day (and completed all her quests) and never got them. I'm in the February dungeon now, so I figure I've missed my chance, but I want to know for NG+.

Were you looking for her in the first floor hallway? Near Naoto?

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Any tips on how you accomplished this?

I didn't get it on my first playthrough (even after analyzing all the time...) and now starting and hoping to get it on my second playthrough.

I ran through most of the game with experience set to "Less" so I wouldn't get overleveled and miss Rise's dialogue for strong or average enemies. The rest I did (mostly in the last dungeon) was status ailments, including Dizzy/Down, since there are very common Shadows there with all elemental Ma- skills and inflicting status. I brought in one teammate at a time to minimize them healing each other before Rise could comment on them. To wait it out, I usually just hit the triangle button and tried healing the Shadows when necessary.

All of the bosses pretty much have unique dialogue lines too, so try not defeating them too quickly. This includes the bonus boss on NG+.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 21, 2012

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Strange Quark posted:

Were you looking for her in the first floor hallway? Near Naoto?

Yes, I didn't see her until she started offering quests. I placed first in all the exams except for the first one, too.

I dunno, maybe I just didn't notice her because Naoto was standing in the way or something. I guess I'll just be more diligent in walking all the way down there and spinning the camera completely around every single day next time.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I wonder what Persona 3 and Persona 4's overall impact on the JRPG genre is going to be? Right now they're, like, the only other RPG franchise besides Square-Enix stuff that's actually making a huge splash, right? I can't recall any other RPG series that has gotten nearly as much attention or praise from as wide a swath of people as the Persona games since the golden years of early Final Fantasy.

But then again, I wonder if perhaps Persona is only popular amongst the somewhat insular communities on the Internet, and it is, perhaps, not nearly as impactful as I think it to be.

In either case, I wonder whether the genre or the market will adapt itself to try and follow in Persona's foot steps. If so, what lessons has the game taught the industry?

I would hope that it encourages an emphasis on sturdy gameplay mechanics again. FF13 has shown that a cheapened playing experience and lessened customization ultimately sours the userbase. I'd like to hope that future games will copy less of Persona's aesthetics and more of its mechanics--any one of the dungeon crawling, monster fusing or battle systems is fantastic by itself and endlessly engaging. And while engaging seperately, they function perfectly in junction, giving the game a slick engine upon which the story is constructed. This emphasis on gameplay, without sacrificing story elements, is what makes Persona truly great.

But what do you guys think?

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

RentCavalier posted:

But then again, I wonder if perhaps Persona is only popular amongst the somewhat insular communities on the Internet, and it is, perhaps, not nearly as impactful as I think it to be.

Yeah I love the Persona series but I'd hardly call the series "popular". It's pretty widely known and praised online but the actual sales and general name recognition is pretty drat low. Even some people who don't play Final Fantasy would know the name at the very least, but I don't think the same could be said of this series.

Which is fine really, as long as Atlus keeps making the SMT series and gets enough sales to justify doing so, I'm fine with it. I really don't want/need all my jRPGs to be the exact same experience or share many elements between each other.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I wouldn't call the Persona series popular so much as it is critically acclaimed. I wouldn't have ever heard of any of the games if I didn't watch a LP of Persona 3 on Youtube a year ago.

Which is fine. The series knows its target audience and sticks with it.

corn on the cop fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 21, 2012

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

A while back I was thinking about how Persona 4s 'real life' setting and themes of identity and personal struggle are much more resonant than the overwrought plots of Final Fantasy and that can be accounted for Persona's popularity.

Then I remembered that FF13 sold a bajillion copies and will probably keep doing so on sheer inertia alone.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Superstring posted:

A while back I was thinking about how Persona 4s 'real life' setting and themes of identity and personal struggle are much more resonant than the overwrought plots of Final Fantasy and that can be accounted for Persona's popularity.

Then I remembered that FF13 sold a bajillion copies and will probably keep doing so on sheer inertia alone.

Even Final Fantasy stuff isn't doing as well. Eidos might have more to do with keeping Square Enix around than any of the Japanese games coming out of them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think what really spoiled Reach Out to the Truth for me is that I've been listening to superior versions of that song (band and Reincarnation) for the last few years.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Final Fantasy games are still making money, and tons of it, but they're underperforming compared to expectations. The trainwreck that was FF14 definitely didn't help matters.

tophet
Oct 28, 2003

Young Orc
I think I've looked, but hopefully I've just missed something. Is there a way to turn on subtitles?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

RentCavalier posted:

I wonder what Persona 3 and Persona 4's overall impact on the JRPG genre is going to be? Right now they're, like, the only other RPG franchise besides Square-Enix stuff that's actually making a huge splash, right? I can't recall any other RPG series that has gotten nearly as much attention or praise from as wide a swath of people as the Persona games since the golden years of early Final Fantasy.

In either case, I wonder whether the genre or the market will adapt itself to try and follow in Persona's foot steps. If so, what lessons has the game taught the industry?

I would hope that it encourages an emphasis on sturdy gameplay mechanics again. FF13 has shown that a cheapened playing experience and lessened customization ultimately sours the userbase. I'd like to hope that future games will copy less of Persona's aesthetics and more of its mechanics--any one of the dungeon crawling, monster fusing or battle systems is fantastic by itself and endlessly engaging. And while engaging seperately, they function perfectly in junction, giving the game a slick engine upon which the story is constructed. This emphasis on gameplay, without sacrificing story elements, is what makes Persona truly great.

But what do you guys think?

Yeah, I wouldn't go as far as to say the series is popular. Even the anime. My store store didn't even get a copy of the anime when it came out, and there was only one store in the province that had a single copy on hand.

I can only hope that Atlus puts just as much effort into P5, as far as storytelling and gameplay goes. Shoji Meguro and Shinegori Soejima are a dream team as far as the look and feel of the games go, so as long as they're on board for the next games, I will be too.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
The fact that Teddie can use his crossdressing outfit in dungeons makes me laugh a lot. Probably a lot more than it should.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

The fact that Teddie can use his crossdressing outfit in dungeons makes me laugh a lot. Probably a lot more than it should.

So can the other guys :ssh:

I don't know what it is, but ever since I unlocked the human form costumes for Teddie, I can hardly ever bring myself to put him in anything else.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

That they actually bothered to give him fighting animations while outside of his suit is nice. Opens up a lot more costume options.

The best Teddie costume is Fauntleroy, though. :colbert:

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
Oh my god, the quizzes are both the best thing and the bane of my existance. Stop answering so many questions. Chie!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bussamove posted:

That they actually bothered to give him fighting animations while outside of his suit is nice. Opens up a lot more costume options.

The best Teddie costume is Fauntleroy, though. :colbert:

That's Lord Flauntleroy to you, mister. Get it right. :mad:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

God bless scene skip when starting NG+. I love the game, but the beginning sure can drag compared to the latter parts.

Strange Quark posted:

That's Lord Flauntleroy to you, mister. Get it right. :mad:

Lord of Topsicles, maybe. :smugteddie:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Rasamune posted:

I don't know what it is, but ever since I unlocked the human form costumes for Teddie, I can hardly ever bring myself to put him in anything else.

On the flipside, I WANT to do this but I can't. Because it's obvious from the animations it was never intended and I guess they didn't make new ones.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 22, 2012

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
This game has new battle music? I've put about 40 hours into it and I don't think I've heard any new music yet.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

PureRok posted:

This game has new battle music? I've put about 40 hours into it and I don't think I've heard any new music yet.

The main battle theme is new.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Cake Attack posted:

The main battle theme is new.

It's funny, people call Make History the main battle theme, but I feel like I heard Reach Out to the Truth during 80 or 90 percent of my fights. :v:

Is it me, or is it way easier to get a Player Advantage in this version? I almost never got them on the PS2.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

DarkHamsterlord posted:

It's funny, people call Make History the main battle theme, but I feel like I heard Reach Out to the Truth during 80 or 90 percent of my fights. :v:

Is it me, or is it way easier to get a Player Advantage in this version? I almost never got them on the PS2.

I don't remember Shadows having the initial aggro animation they have now on the PS2. That and making all of them use the same model rather than some being the flying ones makes it a lot easier to get the drop on them.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

It does seem easier to me, too. I remember only getting Player Advantages regularly in the PS2 version if I was going back through an older dungeon to farm for quest objectives.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
It was pretty easy to get Player Advantages in both versions, but that's probably because I got used to the mechanic quickly.

Also, I've forgotten to check the fridge in awhile, so I did just that. You opened the fridge. It looks the same as ever inside. :smith:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

PureRok posted:

The primary battle music is changed, but you probably won't hear it often. Much of the new music is in the winter.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Man. I'm in floor six of Yomotsu Hirasaka, but.. but.. I don't want it to end. I don't want to leave my backwater Japanese town anime friends. Oh god.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Haha having a high rank Rise totally breaks everything. I just blitzed though the november dungeon and beat the last boss on my first try. I'm not even 60 yet and it's only November 10th.

I guess it helped that he only ever used fire attacks against me with black frost and Yukiko. He ended up being probably the easiest boss I've fought so far.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

kirbysuperstar posted:

Man. I'm in floor six of Yomotsu Hirasaka, but.. but.. I don't want it to end. I don't want to leave my backwater Japanese town anime friends. Oh god.

It's okay, you'll see them again next playthrough.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Just beat the February dungeon.

You guys really blew it out of proportion. I was sitting here dreading a tedious dungeon that's the antithesis of fun, and it really wasn't that bad. The only unpleasant parts were the floors where shadows attacked after opening doors, because getting lost in a maze sucks when you're stuck with unavoidable battle after unavoidable battle.

With the SP restoring accessories and the occasional cup card, I never once entered a battle with low enough SP that I couldn't nuke all the enemies without any problems, so the dungeon's whole gimmick is sort of moot.

Also (optional boss spoiler)

If I go through NG+ with yen and EXP gains cranked up, I can still fight Margaret, right?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I can't get the fishing man to acknowledge the final fox quest no matter what I try. I took the quest from the fox, and the guy has the quest balloon over his head, but when I talk to him he just gives me the 4 regular "ask me about fishing" dialog options, all of which I've tried. I have some huge fish in my inventory too. The only thing I can think of is that my diligence isn't maxed yet. Does anyone have any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
It's been said alot already, but this game is loving boss. I can't get enough of the soundtrack, especially the new songs. Is there any disadvantage to cranking money gains up in NG+? I just wanna go fuse crazy.

• Locked thread