Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Mr. Heroes posted:

In other news, a new species of tarantula was discovered to have right wing political leanings, and is a born again Christian.

http://www.nme.com/news/megadeth/67742

It kills its prey by telling every victim its insane thoughts, and crying about the long gone past until the poor animal kills itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

thepitgoddess posted:

Anyone who likes Pig Destroyer, they played a one-ff show in Miami last night with a bunch of rad bands that was totally insane.

There's a cool dude who films all the shows, so here you go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2FcQidoA30

Fuuuuuuck this just highlights the fact I need to see those guys. Time to start saving up for MDF next year, as the chances of them coming to MN are slim to none.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mr. Heroes posted:

In other news, a new species of tarantula was discovered to have right wing political leanings, and is a born again Christian.

http://www.nme.com/news/megadeth/67742

Metallica did it first:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poecilotheria_metallica

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Mustaine really is destined to go his whole life without being #1 at anything.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Ahem, Anthrax had a bacteria named after them first so I think we all know who wins.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

That article doesn't suggest it was named after the band. Looks like it was named because of its metallic coloring.

Also Megadeth > Metallica.

WillBBC3
Sep 24, 2010

henpod posted:

Here's a good quality performance by Ghost of the new song. I think seeing them in action with their hoods and whatnot add good atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm0Y0awVExo

Absolutely loving the new Ghost track. I'm praying (to Satan obviously) that they get lined up on a North American tour. They absolutely stole the night opening for Opeth this year.

Granted--Mikael had a broken head that night. Ghost was still loving killer live.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Mr. Heroes posted:

That article doesn't suggest it was named after the band. Looks like it was named because of its metallic coloring.

Especially when it says that it was named in 1899.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
If you like blackened death, check out Bölzer. They recently put out an awesome demo, 2/3rds of which you can listen to on Soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/bolzer

They are going to do some amazing stuff, I'm sure.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
For those looking for more information on Joel Grind's "Yellow Goat" release, here's a link to the first single :

http://joelgrind.bandcamp.com/

Album looks like it'll be released digitally 1/15/2013, with Vinyl coming out late Feb.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Mr. Heroes posted:

I think you completely missed the fact that it was posted as a joke.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I don't know much about metal, nor am I familiar with the perceptions and attitudes fans have of the genre. Lately I've been trying to figure out the various sub-genres. I think I'm starting to "get" some of the major ones - that is to say, I can recognize a particular song snippet as falling into its respective category. But I have some questions.

At what level (for lack of a better term) should the genre typically be applied? Meaning, is it the band, the album, or the song that should be prescribed a genre? If a band releases three albums in their career and the first one is death, the second is doom, and the third is black, can the band as a whole be labeled a particular genre? What if one particular album of a particular band shows various styles track to track?

What I'm really getting at is, what are the thoughts from "true metal fans" on bands that cross genres lines? Either album to album, song to song, or even within a given song? Say you're a die hard black metal fan, and the newest album by your favorite band sounds more like death metal than black metal, do you lose respect for that band? Is the "purity" of a band's style typically important to its fans? On the other hand, wouldn't ten albums by a band who doesn't budge an inch in style start to sound mighty repetitive?

Interested to hear thoughts on this.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

caiman posted:

Say you're a die hard black metal fan, and the newest album by your favorite band sounds more like death metal than black metal,

See: "Behemoth"

heh.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

caiman posted:

I don't know much about metal, nor am I familiar with the perceptions and attitudes fans have of the genre. Lately I've been trying to figure out the various sub-genres. I think I'm starting to "get" some of the major ones - that is to say, I can recognize a particular song snippet as falling into its respective category. But I have some questions.

At what level (for lack of a better term) should the genre typically be applied? Meaning, is it the band, the album, or the song that should be prescribed a genre? If a band releases three albums in their career and the first one is death, the second is doom, and the third is black, can the band as a whole be labeled a particular genre? What if one particular album of a particular band shows various styles track to track?

What I'm really getting at is, what are the thoughts from "true metal fans" on bands that cross genres lines? Either album to album, song to song, or even within a given song? Say you're a die hard black metal fan, and the newest album by your favorite band sounds more like death metal than black metal, do you lose respect for that band? Is the "purity" of a band's style typically important to its fans? On the other hand, wouldn't ten albums by a band who doesn't budge an inch in style start to sound mighty repetitive?

Basically, if Kerrang! tells me it's good, I'm a fan.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Oldstench posted:

Basically, if Kerrang! tells me it's good, I'm a fan.

For me it's Sam Dunn.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

caiman posted:

Either it sounds good or it doesn't. Labeling anything with a genre or subgenre title is really only useful in the most esoteric way because while I could call both Aggaloch and Watain black metal they don't sound alike at all. And then you get into sub sub sub genre stuff to try to be more specific and at some point that just winds up sounding dumb and still not really saying anything. Genre labels are fine as general guidelines but taking them overly seriously seems like a waste of time to me.

As far as "purity," you won't find many people around here foaming at the mouth about that, but they're out there.

quote:

wouldn't ten albums by a band who doesn't budge an inch in style start to sound mighty repetitive?

I'll just leave this here:

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Labeling music in a genre specific fashion is a kind of necessary evil. There are so many types of bands throughout the world and picking one randomly and hoping you're going to like it doesn't work. This holds true ESPECIALLY with metal, which fosters the idea that basement dwelling nerds can be the next big thing (they never are).

Genres are just a roadmap man, if you like it listen to it. gently caress anyone else who cares otherwise.

Besides, Blind Guardian and At the Gates have also made the same album over and over again. Just because it's the same thing doesn't mean it's good.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
Genre labels are handy for saying "this band/album has qualities that are broadly similar to these other bands/albums in the same genre" when you don't otherwise have the time or desire or grasp of language or whatever to delve deeper into the qualities unique to that band/album. If someone says they're new to metal but they really like Megadeth and what else is there like Megadeth?, telling them they're looking for thrash metal is reasonably helpful general advice because that's the umbrella that similar bands will fall under, even though they'll also run into bands as different as Anthrax and Vektor if they just do a YouTube search or something, neither of which sound like each other or all that much like Megadeth outside a few broad genre tropes.

As for the purity question, that changes a lot by individuals. Most people in this thread don't tend to get too hung up on it, I don't think, but a fair number of metal fans tend to get a bit uptight about whether something is "metal". Beyond that, outside of the most annoyingly anal fans, it's not that big a deal. It's really about whether or not they like it, which isn't usually tied to it being of one genre or another. Then on the other hand, I know some people who get pissed that bands don't change their names when they start playing different music, even if it's not the biggest shift like, say, the change Symphony X has made over the last decade or so. There are definitely some people who get a little too hung up on genres and a narrow set of characteristics that make it "right".

tl;dr genre labelling is handy as a guideline or for cataloguing, but not particularly relevant beyond that

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I've had genre arguments with my friends over and over (i.e. are they necessary). I have a friend who argues that it should only be: rock, hip hop/r&b, and world or some poo poo like that. I think that's bullshit but at the same time calling a band sludge when their only exposure to metal is hearing a Judas Priest song on a movie they aren't going to get it. Genre labels only make sense when both people in the conversation have an understanding of what the term means.

If I were to hop in this thread and say, "Hey everyone check out this band, they are sorta crusty blackened thrash." Most people in the thread will get a general idea of what the sound is before hearing it. Say it to your boss at work and he will start looking for signs of stroke. There are other ways to accomplish this obviously. I could say, "Oh it sounds like Amebix and Darkthrone and Slayer." But this only makes sense if the listener has heard those specific bands. Or even more technically try to explain the way their sound is formed sonically, but that is a lot of loving work.

I guess what I am trying to say is that there are layers to genres that only make sense to people who are as similarly initiated as yourself. To others they will sound laughable. I think this is most prevalent in a genre that encompasses both SunnO))) and Napalm Death.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

caiman posted:

The "purity" of a band and how fans react to change varies on a case by case basis really. I see wide acceptance of Anathema and Katatonia's change in direction, but many people wishing that Ulver had recorded more black metal. Obviously there are people who think the reverse for both examples though.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

caiman posted:

Like Velocirocktor said, genre is useful as an overall shorthand for describing something, and also more often as marketing terms, but getting hung up on which little niche something falls into quickly turns into a pointless exercise. Very few bands stick strictly to one style; most tend to write in multiple styles over the course of their careers.

caiman posted:

Very few people only listen to one specific subgenre to the exclusion of others. And they're not worth bothering with either way. Most have their preferences; for example I don't care for power metal outside a handful of songs, and I'm guessing few people here (or in general) honestly enjoy stuff like Prong or Kreator's 90s albums as much as I do. But there's enough overlap in the things enough people like that it's not an issue.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 18, 2012

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Genres are neither closed nor precisely defined groupings. They're useful as far as you don't need to explain it, and if you need to explain it, then you should just be describing the music itself.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I never got too hung up on genre labels beyond using them as broad descriptors, but I officially stopped giving any semblance of a gently caress when I joined a band and we couldn't decide if we were symphonic blackened melodic death metal or progressive black/death or or or. At a certain point it just gets silly.

My favorite is on metal storm or metal archives or one of those sites, where the genre search filters have black, death, blackened death, thrash, blackened thrash and death/thrash as discrete options. Can't you just tag Skeletonwitch as both black and thrash and be done with it?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
EDIT: Goddamnit wrong thread.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 19, 2012

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Did I miss the part where somebody posted about Bolt Thrower coming back to the states?

It's from October so I had to have just missed it somewhere, right?

Well poo poo, here, have some loving Bolt Thrower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekCmZDO4d8o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG_p4YKR62s

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

I'm going to echo the vast majority of the people here and agree that sub-genres are best used as guidelines. Pretty every major metal sub-genre (death, black, thrash, and so on) will contain a great deal of a variation in style from band to band even if they fall under the same sub-genre "umbrella". The fact that a band might change style may or may not affect their fanbase. A band like Opeth is a good example of someone who has shifted drastically over the years and they still maintain quite a large following despite it.

In the end, you can get ridiculously finite with sub-genres and labels, but it gets to a point of sheer pretentiousness when someone argues that American progressive/post-black metal is much more intense than any British ambient/shoegazey/post-black metal ever could be. Oi... I already see enough hipsters at an Agalloch show. Just shoot me now.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

CornHolio posted:

Did I miss the part where somebody posted about Bolt Thrower coming back to the states?

Haha, have some more Space Marines inspired 80s style Judas Priest metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RozEb7g61hY

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Mr. Heroes posted:

Haha, have some more Space Marines inspired 80s style Judas Priest metal

You can't even know how fast I clicked this

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

CornHolio posted:

They're playing MDF and Chaos in Tejas, I think.

Not a tour or anything, at least not that I've heard of.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Speaking of Bolt Thrower, more 4-day MDF passes go on sale mid-January.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
A tour you might all be interested in, that hasn't been posted yet:

Enslaved, Royal Thunder, Pallbearer & Ancient VVisdom!
Jan-30 Philadelphia, PA Underground Arts
Jan-31 Baltimore, MD Ottobar
Feb-01 Pittsburgh, PA Mr. Smalls Theatre
Feb-02 Detroit, MI The Magic Stick
Feb-03 Chicago, IL Reggie's Rock Club
Feb-04 Minneapolis, MN Mill City Nights (closed balcony)
Feb-06 Denver, CO Marquis Theatre
Feb-08 Los Angeles, CA Troubadour
Feb-09 San Francisco, CA Slims
Feb-10 Portland, OR Branx
Feb-11 Seattle, WA Highline
Feb-12 Vancouver, BC Biltmore
Feb-14 Edmonton, AB Pawn Shop
Feb-15 Calgary, AB Dickens
Feb-16 Regina, SK The Exchange
Feb-17 Winnipeg, MB The Osborne Village Inn
Feb-19 Toronto, ON Opera House
Feb-20 Montreal, QC Foufounes Electriques
Feb-21 Boston, MA The Sinclair
Feb-22 New York, NY Bowery Ballroom

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am going to post that I am upset Cradle of Filth is coming nowhere near Winnipeg or Minneapolis for their NA tour with The Faceless, Decapitated, and The Agonist. I just want to see these bastards live once in my life.

2/22 - New York, NY @ Irving Plaza
2/23 - Worcester, MA @ Palladium
2/24 - Philadelphia, PA @ Theater Of Living Arts
2/27 - Charlotte, NC @ The Fillmore
2/28 - Lake Buena Vista, FL @ House Of Blues
3/01 - Atlanta, GA @ The Masquerade
3/03 - Houston, TX @ House Of Blues
3/04 - Dallas, TX @ House Of Blues
3/06 - W. Hollywood, CA @ House Of Blues
3/07 - Tempe, AZ @ The Marquee
3/08 - Anaheim, CA @ House Of Blues
3/09 - San Diego, CA @ House Of Blues
3/10 - San Francisco, CA @ The Fillmore
3/12 - Seattle, WA @ Studio Seven
3/13 - Vancouver, BC @ Commodore Ballroom
3/14 - Spokane, WA @ Knitting Factory
3/16 - Denver, CO @ Summit Music Hall
3/20 - Cincinnati, OH @ Bogart's
3/21 - Chicago, IL @ House Of Blues
3/22 - Cleveland, OH @ House Of Blues
3/23 - Detroit, MI @ St Andrews Hall
3/25 - Toronto, ON @ Phoenix Concert Theatre
3/26 - Guelph, ON @ Guelph Concert Theatre

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 21, 2012

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Dani Filth is hilariously short and a fat gothy chick mosh pit.

That about sums up the last time I saw them play.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Dani Filth is hilariously short and a fat gothy chick mosh pit.

That about sums up the last time I saw them play.

Danis high pitch screams are absolutely loving hilarious live. It's so bad :D

That said I could probably tolerate them to see Decaps new lineup play live!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Vintersorg posted:

3/20 - Cincinnati, OH @ Bogart's

A metal tour stopping in Cinci. Finally.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Anyone else at the Wintersun show last night? Holy poo poo that was awesome. Kind of felt bad for Eluveitie - the bulk of the crowd was clearly there for Wintersun, and after they played a lot of people went downstairs to drink, buy merch, and meet Jari and Kai.

The opening band, Varg, was pretty sweet too. Kickass pagan metal without all the gimmicks.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Goddamn Meshuggah tour not coming within 200 miles of me :argh: But yeah if you're a fan on FB they posted tour dates last night, hooray for people in major markets.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

thepitgoddess posted:

A tour you might all be interested in, that hasn't been posted yet:

Enslaved, Royal Thunder, Pallbearer & Ancient VVisdom!
Jan-30 Philadelphia, PA Underground Arts
Jan-31 Baltimore, MD Ottobar
Feb-01 Pittsburgh, PA Mr. Smalls Theatre
Feb-02 Detroit, MI The Magic Stick
Feb-03 Chicago, IL Reggie's Rock Club
Feb-04 Minneapolis, MN Mill City Nights (closed balcony)
Feb-06 Denver, CO Marquis Theatre
Feb-08 Los Angeles, CA Troubadour
Feb-09 San Francisco, CA Slims
Feb-10 Portland, OR Branx
Feb-11 Seattle, WA Highline
Feb-12 Vancouver, BC Biltmore
Feb-14 Edmonton, AB Pawn Shop
Feb-15 Calgary, AB Dickens
Feb-16 Regina, SK The Exchange
Feb-17 Winnipeg, MB The Osborne Village Inn
Feb-19 Toronto, ON Opera House
Feb-20 Montreal, QC Foufounes Electriques
Feb-21 Boston, MA The Sinclair
Feb-22 New York, NY Bowery Ballroom

I'm definitely seeing Enslaved again. Also, the guys from Ancient VVisdom asked me if I knew how to track down some party drugs. I did, but couldn't tell them that.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I know it's just bold Mercyful Fate / King Diamond worshiping rip offs but, drat if I don't really enjoy the new Attic album, The Invocation. You stream the entire album here... HAIL SATAN!!!

I know this is a few pages back, but goddamn, Attic rules. The best Fate worship I've yet to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Vintersorg posted:

I am going to post that I am upset Cradle of Filth is coming nowhere near... Minneapolis for their NA tour with The Faceless, Decapitated, and The Agonist. I just want to see these bastards live once in my life.

Mother gently caress.

I could give two shits about Cradle nowadays tbh, but those openers are incredible. I didn't think Decapitated could come back from that crash, but what do I know.