Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Wrist Watch posted:

Well, this thread has gotten me to buy Bayonetta and now DmC4 (also Vanquish because it's made by platinum and I heard it was great). gently caress it. :getin:

You are gonna have a good time, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I think the official explanation they gave is so that you can access all three weapons/styles on the fly, and can change mid-combo.

It's a non-answer really, but that's to be expected with them.

Wrist Watch posted:

Well, this thread has gotten me to buy Bayonetta and now DmC4 (also Vanquish because it's made by platinum and I heard it was great). gently caress it. :getin:

:rock:

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

GUI posted:

Is there still any explanation as to why you can't just tap the back buttons to change to the angel/devil weapons in DmC?

Because that's how it worked in Heavenly Sword, I guess. Yes, they dropped lock on just so they could stick to that system.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

None of these are bad decisions. Also have you played God Hand? :)

GUI posted:

Is there still any explanation as to why you can't just tap the back buttons to change to the angel/devil weapons in DmC?

It's because NT LOOOOOVES Heavenly Sword.

EDIT: F; B

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wow. 10 levels out of 20? Are they sure this is a good idea?
I still can't get how people can be a mazed how "cinematic" this game is. I mean it has nice scenery and backgrounds, but it's all wasted because of this washed out colour filter they seem to have on everything.
And New Dante blends into the background way too easily.

Wrist Watch posted:

Remember to shoot your own grenades and to use boost. If you're behind cover for more than two seconds, you're not playing the game right and you won't have a good time. Take it from me, Vanquish sucks if you play it as a typical cover based shooter.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

GUI posted:

Because that's how they did it in Heavenly Sword. Fun thing to do if you have a PS3: download the Heavenly Sword and DMC demos, then play them back to back.

e: Ahaha, holy crap that article. It compares one of the giant impact font wall bits that say FOUND YOU to Banksy. I was willing to accept that maybe they weren't a hack and just liked the game. So much for that.

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 21, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

SSNeoman posted:

Wow. 10 levels out of 20? Are they sure this is a good idea?

At this stage, I don't think it makes much of a difference; NT and Capcom have already pretty much revealed all but the last few levels anyway.

[e]: I want "MIND THE CRAP" - stencilled on the steps of NT and Capcom's offices.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 21, 2012

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

WeaponBoy posted:

e: Ahaha, holy crap that article. It compares one of the giant impact font wall bits that say FOUND YOU to Banksy. I was willing to accept that maybe they weren't a hack and just liked the game. So much for that.

Anything that can be possibly seen as street art is inevitably compared to Banksy.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm replaying DMC3 so I can go for an all S-Rank run, and while I'm trying readjust to things like not using Stinger -> Million Stab to catch opponents in a combo, I just remembered the biggest thing I hate in the game: Style experience grinding. Anyone know of an editor/hack that can take all Styles to level 3?

vvv: Unfortunately, Lucifer is the easy way when dealing with Blitzes as Dante. Apart from charged Coyote spam to kill the shield, you can use Royal Guard to block the lightning shield when you attack (this is as awesome as it sounds). It might seem tough, but you'll eventually get the timing down; use Gilgamesh's attacks for better damage while you do this.

Once the shield is down, you can wail on them. If you want a quick kill, two Distorted Real Impacts one after another can get it down to a sliver of health, and you can finish it off with shotgun bursts. Mind you, even without a shield, Blitzes tend to move around a lot; the best opportunity for a RI is when they roar at you since they stay in place.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 21, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Is there some easy way to kill Blitzes in DMC 4 pre Lucifer/Pandora? They are kicking my rear end.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
^^^^^^ Are you Dante or Nero? Blitzes are a great way to practice enemy step canceling. If you're Nero, use charged shot. If you're Dante, you can practice RG cancelling (be in royal guard, hit them, RG and/or step off them, hit them, repeat). Just don't be a tough guy and try to just guard the explosion. It's been a while since I played DMC4, and I never put as much time into it as DMC3 or Bayonetta.

SurrealityCheck posted:

Bayonetta seems to be more strict about it though. I think there are occasionally clipping problems with monsters not being rendered but still counting as in the viewing frustum in dmc.

Bayonetta is a little more tricky about it. Some enemies can attack you entirely from offscreen, but any attack that can be used offscreen has a very distinct audio cue and sometimes a visual cue centered on Bayonetta.

Most of the time. Sometimes, Joys will Stinger you directly from offscreen anyways. Joys. :argh:

User0015 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 21, 2012

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

SSNeoman posted:

Remember to shoot your own grenades and to use boost. If you're behind cover for more than two seconds, you're not playing the game right and you won't have a good time. Take it from me, Vanquish sucks if you play it as a typical cover based shooter.
I didn't know about the grenades part, but as someone who's never really played shooters before I think I'm behind cover most of the time like 5% of the time if the results thing is correct. I'm mostly just abusing the gently caress out of the slow-mo and hiding to recharge if I forget to release and overheat or something. The only thing I wish was different is if I could walk around in that mode instead of being stuck posing after I dodge, but it's no biggie. It apparently just means I have to shoot down whatever's coming at me first.

I will admit that it took me far too long to realize that a bunch of the big enemies have huge glowing weakpoints on their backs that I never saw. Also the lock-on laser rules and I love it.

Monkey Fracas posted:

None of these are bad decisions. Also have you played God Hand? :)
That's on the list, along with the DMC HD collection. Oh hey, amazon has the hd collection on sale for $17 since I have prime. Christmas is like right here, might as well go hog wild.

edit: vvvv I like the shotgun. In the end of act 2 it's pretty close quarters and it stunned everything in front of me if it didn't oneshot them. I think it stuns the big guys too so you can boost between their legs and get at them from behind.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 21, 2012

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Wrist Watch posted:

I will admit that it took me far too long to realize that a bunch of the big enemies have huge glowing weakpoints on their backs that I never saw. Also the lock-on laser rules and I love it.

Most of the guns are pretty sweet. Except the shotgun, gently caress that. Also, the Disc Launcher can be used as a melee weapon preventing you from overheating. :black101:

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
Been playing DMC1 lately after getting the mediocre DMC2 mostly out of the way (drat the bloody palace achievements) and I forgot how unforgiving but good it is. There's just the right amount of enemy variety and some of the first few secret missions are really brutal on a new file. But drat do the ifrit gloves feel super powerful. I really wish they would have just fixed the issues from the older games instead of giving us this.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
DMC 4 demo runs beautifully, I can get a consistent 60 FPS even at the highest settings, however, I can't seem to be able to set gamepad controls to Dualshock 3 analog sticks, and so I run around using D-pad and the camera constantly spins around Nero :saddowns: I'm using MotioninJoy to enable Dualshock 3, so if anyone knows the solution to my problem, I'd be grateful. Otherwise I'll just settle for the PS3 version.

I love that DmC demo and overall marketing made me uninterested in the game, but I'll just buy the rest of series instead :v:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Szurumbur posted:

I love that DmC demo and overall marketing made me uninterested in the game, but I'll just buy the rest of series instead :v:

This is DMC's New Coke, hopefully.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Szurumbur posted:

I'm using MotioninJoy to enable Dualshock 3, so if anyone knows the solution to my problem, I'd be grateful.

Use the 360 Controller profile.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Use the 360 Controller profile.

I already do, and the sticks did work before.

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

I'm not a writer, but everything on that first page makes me want to barf. So much of it is just meaningless drivel. Doggerel.

Also, them admitting that it's DMC meets SW:TFU isn't making things any better.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

wildzero posted:

I'm not a writer, but everything on that first page makes me want to barf. So much of it is just meaningless drivel. Doggerel.

I am, and I agree.

I don't know what publication it is, but you do also have to consider that they're writing for their audience, and also have a word count to fill. They also probably have to write that DmC is a good game. Clearly they can't write much about it being good, so just write some meaningless stuff to pander to their demographic.

As is games journalism.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Only a videogame journalist could write that much and not say a loving thing.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

PoshAlligator posted:

I am, and I agree.

I don't know what publication it is, but you do also have to consider that they're writing for their audience, and also have a word count to fill.

It's "360 Gamer", for reference.

DmC was the cover for the issue.
I wonder how much money Capcom's paying people to shill? For that matter, I wonder how much it cost to make this drat thing?

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 22, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
"DmC: Devil May Cry - a mahoosive hamper of humble pie"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Eurogamer Preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcIC_uxRXtI

[e]: It's a more balanced judgement, which is better than the pure sycophancy from 90% of the reveiws thus far. And it's obvious he doesn't outright hate it either.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 22, 2012

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

That's a pretty good preview after the awful 360 gamer one. The comments about the frequent cutscenes and bland platforming sections (which were little more than a glorified QTE in the demo) are worrying.

GUI fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 22, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
"...definitely had pedophile eyes" :what:

Much better than the usual dicksucking "journalism" in this thread, but it got me curious about how big the response is to the marketing of this game. Not whether it's negative or positive, but rather the scale because I'm not sure if the hardcore fans are a vocal minority or most people just really don't care about the game.

That Aquila weapon is really cool, though. I can't remember what game it was in, but I recall a weapon functioning like it; with the user swinging it normally while some ethereal force mimics the attack in front of him.

vvv: I wouldn't know since I didn't play that game; but from what I see in MvC3, she does have something that looks like it.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 22, 2012

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

toasterwarrior posted:

That Aquila weapon is really cool, though. I can't remember what game it was in, but I recall a weapon functioning like it; with the user swinging it normally while some ethereal force mimics the attack in front of him.

Didn't Okami have something like that?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Luisfe posted:

Didn't Okami have something like that?

Nah, but it's pretty much exactly what happened for Nero's DT attacks.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Am I being too bitter to expect that either this game or the likely DmC 2 is going to feature an old style Dante that you kill and acts like a complete chump?

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
His comments on cutscenes remind me of how irritating the cut scenes in Bayonetta could be - the first time through you spend a lot of the early game just watching stuff happen. Most egregious was the intro cutscene. I guess it's quite hard to tell much story during gameplay when your gameplay is hit demons though?

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

Crabtree posted:

Am I being too bitter to expect that either this game or the likely DmC 2 is going to feature an old style Dante that you kill and acts like a complete chump?

If there is a DmC2 (hopefully not), they would just make an extended montage of old Dante being laughed out of every bar in the city while new Dante smokes a cigarette and smiles like a douche.

If anyone wants to listen to 1 minute samples of the soundtrack:

http://player.qobuz.com/#!/album/0887158296451

I can't believe that in Mundus' theme they sampled the "You don't gently caress with a god" line, WUBWUBWUBWUB.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
That player's not working for me. There are samples on Amazon though.

Click here for WUBWUBWUB

The ones that are WUBWUB are kinda awful, the ones that aren't just sound kinda bland. Home Truths and Kat's theme are two of the better ones, it seems, but it still reminds me of the sappy ambient crap you'd find on Newgrounds.

Combichrist must be releasing a similar album at some point, right? Because I thought it was a joint music project.

[e]: More DMC4 mod madness-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLltJAIv47A

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 22, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just beat mission 10 in DMC4 and I can safely say that I HATE Dante and his greatest ally - the camera. It felt really good to turn on the devil trigger and slam his smug rear end into the ground repeatedly. And why the hell would you put the by magnitudes hardest boss this far at the end of the worst stage in the game? Anyway, any tips for how you deal with Dante? I beat him by shooting at him so that he would be preoccupied shooting back, snatch him, hit him once if I felt lucky, then grab him, and so on and so forth. Doing it "normally" was an exercise in extreme frustration. Any way to properly dodge his sword moves? If I managed to dodge his three-hit-combo Nero was usually too slow to hit him before Dante proceeded to kick my rear end for the tenth time.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Renoistic posted:

Just beat mission 10 in DMC4 and I can safely say that I HATE Dante and his greatest ally - the camera. It felt really good to turn on the devil trigger and slam his smug rear end into the ground repeatedly. And why the hell would you put the by magnitudes hardest boss this far at the end of the worst stage in the game? Anyway, any tips for how you deal with Dante? I beat him by shooting at him so that he would be preoccupied shooting back, snatch him, hit him once if I felt lucky, then grab him, and so on and so forth. Doing it "normally" was an exercise in extreme frustration. Any way to properly dodge his sword moves? If I managed to dodge his three-hit-combo Nero was usually too slow to hit him before Dante proceeded to kick my rear end for the tenth time.

Charge Shot Lv3. Beyond that, be as mobile as you possibly can, as that seems to trip up Dante more than anything else. Vary up attacks often, and fight conservatively.

I've played DMC4 for well over like 200 hours, and even on DMD, I still have trouble with him, just like the Vergil fights in 3, because Dante and Vergil are patternless. But that's why to me they're also the most fun boss fights in both games.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
You can bait Dante into taking hits. Throw out a Snatch to get him to dodge and counter stinger when you have a charged shot 3 ready, then blast him before he hits you.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Renoistic posted:

Trying to outswing Dante at melee probably won't end well since he's faster than Nero, but here's the thing: you can beat him to the punch with Exceeded attacks. Harsh, but I think it's pretty smart design at encouraging you to learn Exceed.

Otherwise, it's a bit cheesy, but Dante cannot dodge your Snatch attempts if he's in the middle of a jump. Because of this, you can actually camp the platform in the middle of the room and Snatch him for a free combo whenever he goes up, then jump back down to lure him back into position. Rinse and repeat until you win, but try not to do it when he's jumping from the platform since he'll probably go for a Helm Breaker unless you're confident you can dodge and get a hit in.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SurrealityCheck posted:

His comments on cutscenes remind me of how irritating the cut scenes in Bayonetta could be

There's the door, there's your rear end, don't let one hit the other on your way out

Ok, but no, you're right about the early cutscenes that were just establishing what you could laughably call the game's plot. The film-reel scenes got irritating fast, as well. At least they were all completely extraneous to the game proper.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm reading on some other site that DmC apparently has very little in the way of pre-orders and that famitsu confirmed that pre-orders in Japan are pretty much non-existent.

No source sadly, anyone know anything more?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I think the Gamestop preorder is probably the most interesting one, as it gets you the Vergil DLC for free. I think the majority of the others give you some random skill (i.e. Red Orb Magnet) and some weapon skins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

wildzero posted:

"At no point did Dante act like a punk"

Has there even been any scene where he supposedly acts like a nice guy? Or is that just a gimme when you're apologizing for actually asking questions about a game's quality.

• Locked thread