Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Arcaeris posted:

Bought two of the "Arsenal" packs today, unlocked Drell Assassin, Geth Trooper, and Vorcha Hunter. Oh, and a disposable Power Modulator IV or whatever it's called.

I thought it was supposed to give weapons.

"Higher Chance" for weapons. For the most part, it's mostly weapons for those and characters for the other but chance is chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Arcaeris posted:

Bought two of the "Arsenal" packs today, unlocked Drell Assassin, Geth Trooper, and Vorcha Hunter. Oh, and a disposable Power Modulator IV or whatever it's called.

I thought it was supposed to give weapons.

Same thing happened to me. I got the drell assassin and batarian adept from mine. But I also got a shotgun high velocity barrel IV, so it wasn't a total loss.

balistafreak
Oct 30, 2012

Dilb posted:

Congratulations on learning about the spawn system, and why spawn-nuking on objective/extraction waves is pointless, and even counterproductive. Now you can learn why you should focus on killing Guardians and Ravagers rather than Atlases and Banshees.

Oh, I'm quite aware of the fact that it doesn't get rid of them entirely. I'm just amused by the fact that I managed to walk into three spawns in a row with my rocket launcher still drawn.

As for the spawn resource mechanics, yeah, I understand. I make a point of completely ignoring Banshees and Atlases as long as trooper sized enemies and goddamn Ravagers are still on the field.

Dilb posted:

The Indra is what the Phaeston/GPR/CAR should have been. The only thing that bugs me (besides being outclassed by the Harrier, but what isn't) is the 50% damage penalty for firing unscoped.

Oh, wow, 50%? That's why I felt like I was doing far less damage unscoped. Not sure how I missed that one.

This just in: I just burned through 15 medigels trying to carry pubbies that have strange fetishes for killing Husks and Brutes from across the map while completely ignoring the Marauders and Ravagers that were killing everybody. Also, the game ended with me at 120K points and the other three at 30K, 30K, 20K.

There really ought to be an option to let you see the team you might be joining before you get dropped into a game in progress. If I know that my team consists of a bunch of poorly outfitted, low achievement points (I've found these to be a pretty good benchmark for player experience which translates at least somewhat to skill), not even level 20 but trying to play gold pubbies, I'd rather find a new room.

Do you guys ever feel it appropriate to leave a game in progress? I can think of a few scenarios, but I'd like to see what other people think first.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Finally got an Asari Huntress and I got the challenge award...

...Eagle VII. Sadly I still only have a hurricane/valiant III, the two favorite promo guns of mine.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blindeye posted:

Finally got an Asari Huntress and I got the challenge award...

...Eagle VII. Sadly I still only have a hurricane/valiant III, the two favorite promo guns of mine.

Hurricane II and no Valiant, so be happy. Crusader VII does not make up for it, though it is a great gun. I really wish it were lighter though so I could throw it on some more diverse classes.

Shotgun Ultralight Materials are needed way more than Pistol ULM were. :mad:

TheBlackPharaoh
May 8, 2007

balistafreak posted:

Do you guys ever feel it appropriate to leave a game in progress? I can think of a few scenarios, but I'd like to see what other people think first.
I do if the pubby team is so bad I have to solo multiple waves, or if the game drops my freshly promoted character into an in progress gold/platinum match. Also I might leave if invited to goon games.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I got the Crusader from the challenge. It's interesting.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I started playing again after months of taking time off.

I've gotten the last 5 weekend challenges. Now I have a Crusader V and a Valkyrie II.

Ever other weekend gun? I.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

FairGame posted:

I started playing again after months of taking time off.

I've gotten the last 5 weekend challenges. Now I have a Crusader V and a Valkyrie II.

Ever other weekend gun? I.

The RNG is a fickle mistress. I had Hurricane IX, Crusader III, Eagle I, and Valiant I at one point. Now I have Hurricane X(just this weekend), Crusader VI, Eagle II, Valiant II, and Valkyrie II.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Got a Hurricane V, but the pubbies seem a lot worse today than I've seen in a while. It can take 10 minutes to find a gold lobby that both works and doesn't fill you with dread when you look at their loadouts.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Got a Hurricane V, but the pubbies seem a lot worse today than I've seen in a while. It can take 10 minutes to find a gold lobby that both works and doesn't fill you with dread when you look at their loadouts.

It seems like all the idiots come out to play during the weekends, I can hardly get through silver sometimes.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I would really like for them to change it so that consumables are only used permanently upon extracting successfully from a match, or when failing resulting in the end of the match.

This way, I can safely use my ammo powers and other equipment and still be able to drop from horrendously laggy games or games filled with blithering idiots and not waste everything I chose to use.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Enter Char posted:

It seems like all the idiots come out to play during the weekends, I can hardly get through silver sometimes.

I saw a Batarian Vanguard in a gold game that refused to ever Charge or punch (including when he got cornered by a couple Phantoms). Instead of using powers, he seemed to be married to firing his Disciple at everything. :psyduck: How do I know he was a Vanguard, you ask? I saw him use Lash exactly once to get a Guardian's shield off. I don't think he even had Blade Armor on. Thankfully the others weren't complete morons (though I am surprised the one guy made a Slayer with a Black Widow work so well) and we three-manned pretty much all of the game I was there for.

E: I quit the game for the night immediately afterward.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 22, 2012

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
We had a Paladin who had the flame shield evolution (which no one does anymore) and he would just hide in a crate in Rio behind his shield. It wasn't even one of the ones with an ammo box, he'd just hide there. I think at the end of the match he had 3k points.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The answer to all your "Why are these dumb pubbies doing this dumb thing" questions is: The Challenge System.

Seriously. That Batarian who kept using nothing but his Disciple? Sorry bro, already got the cheevo for Charge, need Disciple points.

It's nearly impossible for me to get into a game that doesn't have everyone else using a Tempest, Carnifex, Scimitar, Hornet, etc. It's loving dumb as poo poo. I did bother doing Gun Slinger because the only Pistol I had to use that wasn't legitimately a Good Weapon was the Phalanx, but now I'm over it. I got Earth and Map Mastery almost by accident and those are enough for me. Bioware can go to Helen Waite if they think I'm doing any of the "200 waves" poo poo except by happy accident.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Felinoid posted:

I saw a Batarian Vanguard in a gold game that refused to ever Charge or punch (including when he got cornered by a couple Phantoms). Instead of using powers, he seemed to be married to firing his Disciple at everything. :psyduck: How do I know he was a Vanguard, you ask? I saw him use Lash exactly once to get a Guardian's shield off. I don't think he even had Blade Armor on. Thankfully the others weren't complete morons (though I am surprised the one guy made a Slayer with a Black Widow work so well) and we three-manned pretty much all of the game I was there for.

E: I quit the game for the night immediately afterward.

He could've been a batarian adept, and that would explain the no-armor since they don't have it (I would rather have blade armor than lash, though).

Re Volus Engi: I think you are better off using armor gear for power recharge rather than shields. 4 fitness is enough to keep you alive until the next shield boost (only exception is the sometimes buggy shield gating things that lets nemeses one-hit kill you) and not make turning around and running a requirement after using your proximity.

Rick fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 22, 2012

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
When and why did Bioware make the Acolyte awful again. :/

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
The Acolyte is not awful! :colbert:

Just use it on a vanguard, you'll see.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

I'm not impressed so far by the Hurricane. I've tried using it on my Fury, but it has too much kick to be useful at long range, but I don't have a stability mod to offset it - would that make a difference? I do have the AP mod though, but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference even when I'm in spraying range.

EDIT: I take back everything I said. I think I was overestimating the spread of full on bursts, and how it doesn't deviate if you pull down to compensate for recoil, and hadn't tried it in a while.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 22, 2012

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Don't use it long-range? It's best used to spray at things in your face while you're waiting for cooldowns, especially for the Fury. Slap on some warp ammo.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Thirst Mutilator posted:

I'm not impressed so far by the Hurricane. I've tried using it on my Fury, but it has too much kick to be useful at long range, but I don't have a stability mod to offset it - would that make a difference? I do have the AP mod though, but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference even when I'm in spraying range.

They key is not to use the aiming mode and not to use it from behind cover.
Instead, just fire it standing still and without aiming and the kick will be much more manageable.
The SMG High Velocity Barrel makes it pretty drat good against armor.

It won't ever be a viable gun for long distances, you may want to carry something like a Paladin as secondary weapon for that, but its great potential comes from having a really decent gun available for bosses that are big and slow and which are easy to spray at from passive cover / standing out in the open and which other guns (like the Paladin) wouldn't do much against.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Eagle IV. :geno: The Eagle was my very first commendation pack weapon, and I haven't used it since then. Is it still a booby prize?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Tremors posted:

Eagle IV. :geno: The Eagle was my very first commendation pack weapon, and I haven't used it since then. Is it still a booby prize?

It's not the best pistol (and honestly, you're better off using it the same way you would an SMG), but it's really light, great for applying ammo powers, and still packs a respectable punch. I had been running around with it on my casters.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

precision posted:

The answer to all your "Why are these dumb pubbies doing this dumb thing" questions is: The Challenge System.

Seriously. That Batarian who kept using nothing but his Disciple? Sorry bro, already got the cheevo for Charge, need Disciple points.

It's nearly impossible for me to get into a game that doesn't have everyone else using a Tempest, Carnifex, Scimitar, Hornet, etc. It's loving dumb as poo poo. I did bother doing Gun Slinger because the only Pistol I had to use that wasn't legitimately a Good Weapon was the Phalanx, but now I'm over it. I got Earth and Map Mastery almost by accident and those are enough for me. Bioware can go to Helen Waite if they think I'm doing any of the "200 waves" poo poo except by happy accident.

I use a tempest on my batarian vanguard and it works just fine.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Wampus42 posted:

It's not the best pistol (and honestly, you're better off using it the same way you would an SMG), but it's really light, great for applying ammo powers, and still packs a respectable punch. I had been running around with it on my casters.

Yeah if the Eagle were an uncommon it'd be great. As a promo it's a bit underwhelming but still useful once you get it leveled. It's still the weakest of the original 4 but with the exception of the Hurricane (which is awesome) there's not a huge difference in power levels anymore.

I think the Valk AR is the new booby prize but I've dodged that bullet so I can't say for certain. (I got an Eagle VII this week)

VJeff posted:

When and why did Bioware make the Acolyte awful again. :/

Tuesday because the change was made to curb missile glitching. It didn't and it turned a cool high power but somewhat niche gun into an absurdly overpowered auto-include. I'm happy about the change. The Acolyte was never going to last as it was and reverting to the old mechanic is much better than stepping on the damage until it's another Krysae.

Lagomorphic fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 22, 2012

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Rick posted:

He could've been a batarian adept, and that would explain the no-armor since they don't have it (I would rather have blade armor than lash, though).

Ohhhhhh. That's one that just dropped, right? So he was probably going for extractions/waves and the Disciple. Still, on Gold? That's just an rear end in a top hat thing to do. Don't make us carry your sorry rear end so you can get a handful of points between deaths. Hell, you'd get points quicker doing Silver or maybe even Bronze because you wouldn't be dead half the drat match.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tremors posted:

I use it on my huntress and does excellent damage.

I played a match with a lone wolf salarian, me as a geth trooper, a quarian male inf and an asari adept, I'm not sure what happened but at the end of the match me and the trooper had around 160k points and the other 2 had like 30 and 40k, what the gently caress where they doing?

I know they where moving around, the asari was popping my fires and I revived them a few times...

Speaking of banners, it is time to grind for nomad, I'm super close to it and I really want it, goddess and giant are the ones I need most waves on, the rest are in the 80's and 90's.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Felinoid posted:

Ohhhhhh. That's one that just dropped, right? So he was probably going for extractions/waves and the Disciple. Still, on Gold? That's just an rear end in a top hat thing to do. Don't make us carry your sorry rear end so you can get a handful of points between deaths. Hell, you'd get points quicker doing Silver or maybe even Bronze because you wouldn't be dead half the drat match.

A BAdept with even 2 points in Fitness will have more health/shields than a fully specced Human or Asari, so there's really no accounting for terribleness.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
What weapon do people use on a Geth Trooper? I tried the Hurricane or shotgun but if I'm close, I'm just using Flamer. And I don't find myself shooting very much anyway.

I went with my Harrier and did well, but anyone have any other suggestions?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Arcaeris posted:

What weapon do people use on a Geth Trooper? I tried the Hurricane or shotgun but if I'm close, I'm just using Flamer. And I don't find myself shooting very much anyway.

I've had good luck using a Saber.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Arcaeris posted:

Geth Pulse Rifle with incendiary ammo. Burn those mothers down.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Arcaeris posted:

Geth shotgun is always a solid choice for any geth. Gotta love those racial passives.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

8th-samurai posted:

Geth Pulse Rifle with incendiary ammo. Burn those mothers down.

So can you setup a combo with incendiary ammo and detonate with flamer?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Flamer doesn't detonate it only primes.

The acolyte was really good on the Geth Soldier I haven't tried it since the revert but I would imagine that it's still good. Use it to drop shields and flamer for everything else. The Raptor is also pretty great with thermal and HVB, use an ops gear for extra weapon and flamer damage. It's a good long range weapon and if you're close enough for the scope to be awkward you should be using the flamer anyways. It's also really light so you can take it and the acolyte and still have a really good flamer cooldown. The Sabre or Mattock are similar but there's no AR and Tech gear.

GPR would be good as well. I'd use disruptor ammo with it for extra shield damage though.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Arcaeris posted:

If you use a Hurricane with heat sink and high velocity barrel you can cover the medium range pretty well, meaning you can take damage instead of reach on the flamer. Slapping phasic rounds on top of that makes it really good at taking out shields, making the flamer that much more powerful. (I used to do reach & shields on flamer but the Hurricane works way better.)

You can either ignore long range because you're such a badass tank, or take a Raptor/Mantis as a secondary weapon, both are really decent.

Just saying you're on the right track but you should be shooting a lot more since the flamer doesn't do poo poo on shields if you don't evolve for that. Phasic rounds are magical on the Hurricane.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Lagomorphic posted:

I think the Valk AR is the new booby prize but I've dodged that bullet so I can't say for certain. (I got an Eagle VII this week)

The Valkyrie's only sin is being boring. It's pretty much the same gun as the Argus, albeit with slightly better stats.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
So what's a decent N7 Destroyer build these days? The one linked in the OP skips the missile launcher entirely, but I get a feeling those builds don't account for recent balance updates.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Frush posted:

So what's a decent N7 Destroyer build these days? The one linked in the OP skips the missile launcher entirely, but I get a feeling those builds don't account for recent balance updates.

Couple of good options: 6/6/6/4/4 gives you a fairly good glass cannon build that is pretty adaptable since you can lob grenades in a pinch. You're using the Hawk Missile Launcher for staggers, mostly, so go for Hydra missiles and shorter cooldown. The potato launcher tosses grenades in a random spread so it's better to go for more shrapnel unless you're committed to using it short range.

If you hate grenades like me, just skip 'em altogether and get better defenses and more damage. I actually tend to score higher this way, last time I tested it. I roll with an N7 Typhoon and an N7 Valiant for the full N7 experience. Other good guns are Black Widow, Cerberus Harrier, Revenant (scope it so it can actually hit things at range), remember that you're not based on cooldowns so you can take the heaviest weapons and mods you have.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Don't forget the PPR to take advantage of additional clip size (don't take additional rate of fire if you're going to do this, you'll run out of ammo faster without actually doing extra hits).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

So has anyone done a Four Volus of the Apocalypse run yet, now that we've got all four Volus characters? I can only imagine the constant Shield-Boosting would make you all invincible if you were in close proximity.

That also makes me wonder about the racial breakdown and how many others fit the bill:

Asari - 5
Batarian - 4
Drell - 3
Geth - 3
Human - 15 (21)
Krogan - 4
Quarian - 5
Salarian - 2
Turian - 5
Volus - 4
Vorcha - 3

Surprisingly many at this point. Poor salarians have been ignored, though. :(

E: Now I want to see a Salarian Sentinel with Defensive Matrix.

jpmeyer posted:

The Valkyrie's only sin is being boring. It's pretty much the same gun as the Argus, albeit with slightly better stats.

A little tangential, but Bioware really needs to stop naming classes after guns. The Paladin was bad enough.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 22, 2012

• Locked thread