Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Lobok posted:

Whose normal clothes? Does Superman endorse American Apparel t-shirts and Levi's jeans?

Does he know what MySpace is? Does he know who won the last World Series or the last American Idol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Delzuma posted:

Does he know what MySpace is? Does he know who won the last World Series or the last American Idol?

Oh come on, it's not like he's Captain America. If he didn't know what MySpace was or who won the last World Series all of his principles and ideas would clearly be empty.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Delzuma posted:

He knows that he's a tree and that other people move. Does that count?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Delzuma posted:

Gyges posted:

Oh come on, it's not like he's Captain America. If he didn't know what MySpace was or who won the last World Series all of his principles and ideas would clearly be empty.
Delzuma was quoting a line from Civil War: Frontline #11. Some idiot was questioning his relevancy based on his knowledge of current pop culture.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 21, 2012

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Delzuma posted:

I loved that, if only for the fact that you could tell some dork was just sitting at his desk writing that like, "Got 'em." :smug:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Baron Bifford posted:

Delzuma was quoting a line from Civil War: Frontline #11. Some idiot was questioning his relevancy based on his knowledge of current pop culture.

I think Gyges knew that, Baron, given that he also referenced that scene.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Delzuma posted:

Does he know what MySpace is?

Why do you think MySpace has a capital S?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Baron Bifford posted:

It's always important to remember that the importance of knowing what MySpace is came long after MySpace was relevent.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I loved that, if only for the fact that you could tell some dork was just sitting at his desk writing that like, "Got 'em." :smug:

I know absolutely nothing about that story arc but it doesn't seem that outlandish that as the avatar of America he should be plugged into the zeitgeist. Sure, MySpace isn't relevant *anymore*. In the Internet age relevancy is measured in years instead of decades. But that doesn't mean it's trivial. I would not be surprised if Twitter is gone in 5 years, but that doesn't mean its impact on American culture is irrelevant.

Obviously pop culture isn't the only aspect to that but it's pretty disingenuous to imply that America's pop culture output isn't an integral aspect of its identity.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Monkeyseesaw posted:

I know absolutely nothing about that story arc but it doesn't seem that outlandish that as the avatar of America he should be plugged into the zeitgeist. Sure, MySpace isn't relevant *anymore*. In the Internet age relevancy is measured in years instead of decades. But that doesn't mean it's trivial. I would not be surprised if Twitter is gone in 5 years, but that doesn't mean its impact on American culture is irrelevant.

Obviously pop culture isn't the only aspect to that but it's pretty disingenuous to imply that America's pop culture output isn't an integral aspect of its identity.

This would be true if Captain America was actually an avatar of America the country instead of the ideals of America. Or if cultural zeitgeist bore any real weight in which side was right in a superhuman conflict over security states, personal liberties, the war on terror, and other ham handedly done analogs to real issues.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Baron Bifford posted:

Jim Lee sucked as in the 90s, but his art has improved considerably since then. He's one of DC's best artists. Besides, these lines on the costumes can easily be removed without compromising the overall design, so I suspect this will happen soon.

He defines boring "superhero pose" art for me. There's nothing he's actually good at but drawing some dudes standing around modeling their costumes.

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

The idea that Superman, everyday, all day, is unconsciously listening to the heartbeats of his loved ones, no matter where he is, is actually pretty great. I mean, if some one had super-hearing all their life, it would be gut-instinct natural to always listen to your loved ones heartbeats, like a security blanket.

That last panel is terrible, but I like everything else about that.

And I do like the idea of the government apparently being not just unnerved, but openly willing to arrest Superman. Superman having to earn everyone's trust, and having people just be unnerved by his abilities is something I want to see him overcome.

The last panel is the best part, he's a dorky teenager from Kansas!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If you can tell an interesting story about Jeff Lebowski, you can probably come up with one about Superman. Stop excusing lovely writers.

Should be stickied on every page.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The last panel is the best part, he's a dorky teenager from Kansas!

Whose hair catches fire because he's flying so fast...

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cornwind Evil posted:

The fact that someone can suggest that a good Superman story would be him fighting a villain who ran a giant child sex slavery ring without irony is why junk like Nemesis exists. It reeks of someone uncomfortable with their own self, as they try and justify their interests by going 'No no, superheroes shouldn't fight apes on jetpacks and giant sentient island that spawn dinosaurs! They should go fight REAL world problems, like the Zeta Cartel, or North Korea, or the Syrian conflict! SEE, I'M NOT A CHILD.' It's not your interests that are the problem.

Dear God, I just read that wikipedia summary of Nemesis and there is nowhere near a big enough :psyduck: that adult human beings conceived, wrote, edited, published, and bought that. Thanks for convincing me to continue not reading comics, I guess.

Anyway, there's really no reason this movie shouldn't be good. Superman Returns did a tremendous number of things wrong, but "being about Superman" really was not one of them.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

P-Mack posted:

Dear God, I just read that wikipedia summary of Nemesis and there is nowhere near a big enough :psyduck: that adult human beings conceived, wrote, edited, published, and bought that. Thanks for convincing me to continue not reading comics, I guess.

Anyway, there's really no reason this movie shouldn't be good. Superman Returns did a tremendous number of things wrong, but "being about Superman" really was not one of them.

I don't really think its fair to count Mark Millar as an adult, he made Kick rear end after all.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Grendels Dad posted:

Whose hair catches fire because he's flying so fast...

And?

P-Mack posted:

My favorite thing about Nemesis was that Millar tried to claim in interviews that it was an 100% original idea don't steal when even down to the white costume it's a straight rip of Diabolik or Fantomas. I still don't know what point he was trying to make with that.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

P-Mack posted:

Yeah, I just read it and I have to agree.

I'm comfortable with superhero movies being children's stories come to life if that's the alternative.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

Yeah, I just read it and I have to agree.

I'm comfortable with superhero movies being children's stories come to life if that's the alternative.

There's quite a lot of wiggle room between Nemesis and Silver Age shenanigans involving fighting apes on the moon. I do think we could use more Silver Age light-hardheartedness/goofiness in comic movies though since most non-Batman/Punisher books do throw in a little humor and even have the characters recognize the absurdities of their situations sometimes (though maybe that works better in comics since you don't have to plot around a limited run-time and have more wiggle room when it comes to pacing and timing).

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Rhyno posted:

The DVD is decent but doesn't even come close to the comic it's based off of. Action Comics #775 brought me back to Superman after years away. It's the single best modern Superman story of the past 20 years. All Star Superman is amazing but it's more of a classic tale. Action #775 gave us this

THAT is my Superman, right there.
I was never very comfortable with that issue. If the Elite are a pastiche of the Authority, then their flaws are exaggerated. The Authority weren't that nasty. They wouldn't rain acid on the families of their enemies. Nor were any of them such whiny bitches (in a typical story, they suffered far worse injuries and torture than what Superman does to the Elite). They took care to avoid collateral damage and were often concerned about just how much power they were exerting over mankind. They often fought the government, but these figures were often satirical caricatures - every silly cliché about puppet presidents and corrupt CEOs.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 22, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
That series of pages often gets trotted out as an example of how great and noble Superman should be - but its morality is almost-literally straight out of an episode of 24 in which Jack Bauer successfully tortures an alleged terrorist(?) by forcing him to watch the slow execution-murder of his entire family.

Surprise! Their deaths were simulated using special effects, so nobody was really hurt ho ho ho.

Of course, the implicit message is that we can and will violate you if we want to. You are at our mercy, as even your very perceptions are under our control. The only way to be secure is to submit to our power, and you should thank us for being so generous as to allow you to exist.

It's disgustingly smug. "I don't believe I violated you, because the effects of my violation weren't permanent."

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 22, 2012

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That series of pages often gets trotted out as an example of how great and noble Superman should be - but its morality is almost-literally straight out of an episode of 24 in which Jack Bauer successfully tortures an alleged terrorist(?) by forcing him to watch the slow execution-murder of his entire family.

Surprise! Their deaths were simulated using special effects, so nobody was really hurt ho ho ho.

Instantaneously lobotomizing someone has some ethical landmines as well. Although Superman is really drawn as insanely smug here, too.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Of course, the implicit message is that we can and will violate you if we want to. You are at our mercy, as even your very perceptions are under our control. The only way to be secure is to submit to our power.
I think the point was to show the Elite how their victims feel, and to show the world what a whiny, hypocritical bitch Manchester Black is. Superman doesn't do anything that he doesn't normally do his enemies, so it's unfair to label this as sadistic torture. He's downright nice in that he fights ways to take them out without inflicting permanent injury.

The book didn't really address the points the Elite make. It's pretty much just Superman saying "I'm comfortable with my way of doing things, you guys are ugly and vulgar, so let's agree to disagree." Which is fine, I guess. The Elite really were vulgar and excessive and I'd pick Superman over them any day, but picking a hero over a bunch of grotesque straw men doesn't really settle an argument.

There was a follow-up story a year or so later where Manchester Black fakes the murder of Lois to see if that would drive Superman to kill. When Superman vows to bring Black in alive despite his pain, Black decides he's worthless and commits suicide. That made me smirk a little.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Once again, handled better in JLA Classified where Superman tells a bunch of Authority-alikes something like "Your no-nonsense solutions don't work in a world with jetpack gorillas." One and done.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The world of the Authority was just as nonsensical and sensational as the DC Comics world. The storylines of the Authority closely resembled the storylines of 90s JLA. The difference was that the Authority preferred to execute their opponents, and sometimes their opponents were back by corporate or government entities that they were happy to crush as well.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Gyges posted:

This would be true if Captain America was actually an avatar of America the country instead of the ideals of America. Or if cultural zeitgeist bore any real weight in which side was right in a superhuman conflict over security states, personal liberties, the war on terror, and other ham handedly done analogs to real issues.

Captain America would be a lot more interesting if he was the former. How does he differ from Superman if he's the latter, other than not being quite so super?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Monkeyseesaw posted:

Captain America would be a lot more interesting if he was the former. How does he differ from Superman if he's the latter, other than not being quite so super?

This varies, but Cap is generally a lot less idealistic and is more a realist who wants to be an idealist. He's a soldier first and foremost, and while he wouldn't want to kill some one, wouldn't object to it either.

He and Supes have/should have very similar views on things, but grew up in very different circumstances that shaped them into different people. If Superman is who we are supposed to be, then Captain America is the way to become him, I guess.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Burkion posted:

This varies, but Cap is generally a lot less idealistic and is more a realist who wants to be an idealist. He's a soldier first and foremost, and while he wouldn't want to kill some one, wouldn't object to it either.
Interesting thought: if killing a person, no matter how vile, will drat the hero's soul, what of all our war heroes? What of Audie Murphy, the greatest war hero of WW2, who had 240 confirmed kills? What of the SEALs who killed bin Laden? When is Joe Kelly going to do a comic about these guys?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Rhyno posted:

The DVD is decent but doesn't even come close to the comic it's based off of. Action Comics #775 brought me back to Superman after years away. It's the single best modern Superman story of the past 20 years. All Star Superman is amazing but it's more of a classic tale. Action #775 gave us this

THAT is my Superman, right there.

"The idea is you fight this guy and you settle the moral argument by beating him into the ground."

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In the book, Superman sort of addresses Black's points by insisting there is always a less lethal way of doing things, and demonstrates his point by capturing a bunch of aliens. He doesn't address the wider difficulties. For instance, Black points out that a lot of his villains will escape from prison and go on to kill again, and Superman is happy to simply lock them up again.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 23, 2012

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Baron Bifford posted:

Interesting thought: if killing a person, no matter how vile, will drat the hero's soul, what of all our war heroes? What of Audie Murphy, the greatest war hero of WW2, who had 240 confirmed kills? What of the SEALs who killed bin Laden? When is Joe Kelly going to do a comic about these guys?

I'm pretty sure Superman's only held that belief for himself and those like him. AKA those who can drat well find another option than to murder another person. I will also point out, Superman isn't against killing enemies if there is literally no other option. He can and has killed people before, though they rarely stay that way. I don't think there's a version of Superman that hasn't had to kill, or helped to kill, some one.

It's always something like Darkseid, or Doomsday, or the Anti-Monitor, something larger than life that stands heads and shoulders above the rest, beyond the ability for even other heroes like himself to deal with. Because it's at that point he enters the same playing field as normal people, effectively.

Cap? He's vaguely strong, kinda tough for a human, and has an invincible shield. Trying to compare him to Superman is just like trying to compare Audie Murphy to Superman.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

In the book, Superman sort of addresses Black's points by insisting there is always a less lethal way of doing things, and demonstrates his point by capturing a bunch of aliens. He doesn't address the wider difficulties. For instance, Black points out that a lot of his villains will escape from prison and go on to kill again, and Superman is happy to simply lock them up again.

This is a debate that's had about Batman's villains too, isn't it? Especially the Joker.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Wonder Woman hasn't been covered be she does kill every now and then.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 23, 2012

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

The difference is that Superman has, as the saying goes, "powers far beyond those of mortal men". The ideal, perfect man not only doesn't want to kill, but doesn't have to kill, and with his vast powers he should be able to find nonlethal solutions to problems that unfortunately require lethal force by us mere humans. It's not a commentary on the morality of real-life justified killing as much as it is a lament on its regrettable necessity. "If only we were both as good AND as powerful as Superman, then we wouldn't have to kill people in the pursuit of justice, either."

Captain America, only being of peak human ability instead of far beyond it, routinely finds himself in situations where lethal force is necessary, as we do in real life. However, still being embodied of ideal morals, he (generally, as it varies from writer to writer) only applies lethal force to the minimal extent that it is necessary to neutralize immediate threats to himself and those around him. That in itself is incredibly generous for a man that, as has been noted, is literally a soldier and could get away with far worse in the course of his duties and nobody would hold him accountable for it. If Superman is a morally idealist power fantasy, Captain America is simply an ideally moralist fantasy.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 23, 2012

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

You should read New Frontier. It's a comic book in which the superheroes mostly begin to exist near their real world publication dates.

It actually has Hal Jordan dealing with his guilt over killing a Korean soldier before he became a hero. It does touch on the distinction of killing for survival versus other reasons.

But yeah, Superman can see the essence of life itself and it physically hurts him to see it die. Also, you know, he understands the loss of an entire civilization. His value of life is basically superhuman.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

You should read New Frontier. It's a comic book in which the superheroes mostly begin to exist near their real world publication dates.

It actually has Hal Jordan dealing with his guilt over killing a Korean soldier before he became a hero. It does touch on the distinction of killing for survival versus other reasons.

But yeah, Superman can see the essence of life itself and it physically hurts him to see it die. Also, you know, he understands the loss of an entire civilization. His value of life is basically superhuman.

It's OK that he indirectly causes massive carnage and suffering, since he's made himself feel every death. It's doubly OK because he's morally superior to various strawmen.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

This is a debate that's had about Batman's villains too, isn't it? Especially the Joker.

In defense of a fictional character, the only reason his villains escape is to give the writers something to write about and the readers some familiar characters to entertain themselves with. The debate is a false one brought about by the serial nature of comic stories and their endless sliding timescale. The Joker has a massive bodycount because he's been murdering guys for over 60 years at this point. Even Gacy or Dahmer would probably have started to taper off if they were in their in their 80's but the clown is still going strong because he is eternally in his 30's and is popular enough with readers that he breaks out of jail whenever a writer needs him for a set-piece.

Even within the fiction its pretty ridiculous that the Gotham penal system doesn't have a better way of dealing with Batmans rogues gallery who by and large aren't usually superhuman.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I like to think that a man can become so crazy that mere brick walls and metal cages don't extend to your perception of existence.

The Joker and...I don't know, Calendar Man are just too crazy to be confined.

Batman should really be beating the everloving gently caress out of all the city officials/security guards for gross incompetence, because their lack of ability to meet their base job expectations is truly the worst crime of all.

:911:

I'm pretty stoked about the movie, by the way. The movie seems to escalate sufficiently for the requisite superman battles. The last movie Superman fought...what, an island? Or his introversion? gently caress you, other superman.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 23, 2012

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

He fought child support.

Superman is in a no-win situation in regards of how he subdues his foes. If he kills/harms them, he's being a godlike tyrant who looks down on puny humans. If he hands them to the proper authorities, he's not doing enough despite his great powers.

I liked the Superman and Justice League cartoon portrayals where he was forced in situations where his humble upbringings were challenged. He almost murdered Darkseid until Batman pulled him away. He suspended habeas corpus for Doomsday and sent him to the phantom zone. He made himself look like an idiot because he didn't trust one of Luthor's charity schemes.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm sure it doesn't hurt that the revolving door of the rogue's gallery in comics is an (exaggerated) portrayal of how a distressing amount of the population views the actual prison system, especially the way that pop culture portrays insanity as a get-out-of-jail-free card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

No he needs to face a retarded Bizarro who is running a child sex slave ring and then kill him by punching him to death while crying.

Wait what :stare:

• Locked thread