Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Wait, hang on, is there a dance emote?

They're giving each other the dark hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

Having fun with a STR build and am finally understanding the love of the Zweihander. A strong attack that tells most enemies to go gently caress themselves is so great. I normally have trouble with Capra Demon, just a thing that happens for me I guess, but I decided to march through the fog and tell him to get hosed. The slaughter that followed was amazing. :black101:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

UnholyCow posted:

Having fun with a STR build and am finally understanding the love of the Zweihander. A strong attack that tells most enemies to go gently caress themselves is so great.

Wait until you hit Anor Londo. Pummeling silver knights flat on their faces with single blows feels incredibly satisfying.

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

scamtank posted:

Wait until you hit Anor Londo. Pummeling silver knights flat on their faces with single blows feels incredibly satisfying.

I'm excited just reading that. I like DEX builds/weapons and they ruined me for quite a while. Payback is coming, assholes. :argh:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Silver Knights are the loving worst.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
I feel like such a chump compared to you guys. :( I'm just now trying my second time against the Capra Demon.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

sector_corrector posted:

Silver Knights are the loving worst.

Silver Knights are quite possibly the easiest enemies in the entire game to parry. I pretty much do it as an instinctual reflex by now, with all but the Spear Knight's backswing.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Beard Yawn posted:

I feel like such a chump compared to you guys. :( I'm just now trying my second time against the Capra Demon.

The good news is that everyone's been there. Getting flattened by the Capra Demon and his dogs is like the "It's dangerous to go alone..." of Dark Souls.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Beard Yawn posted:

I think it took me about ten tries to beat the Capra Demon the first time through.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

scamtank posted:

Even better than that is flattening the Skeledogs in Tomb of the Giants with one hit. :getin:

The thing I've noticed about the two-handed Zwei build is all enemies are split into two groups, those that can survive two strong attacks and those that cannot. All enemies in the second group are much easier than normal and all enemies in the second group are much harder than normal. Those drat Titanite Demons for instance have been making my life miserable even though they're normally not very hard.

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

Yeah, I was thinking of upgrading a second weapon to deal with things I can't stomp or safely dodge since they recover faster than me. I just don't know what to pick.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
You could always switch to the man serpent greatsword, but I enjoyed solving the puzzle of how to kill unstaggerable enemies with the zweihander.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Tallgeese posted:

Silver Knights are quite possibly the easiest enemies in the entire game to parry. I pretty much do it as an instinctual reflex by now, with all but the Spear Knight's backswing.

The silver knights with swords I can never parry right except for the second strike. The spear wielders are super easy for me for some reason.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Ultra Greatsword users who cannot stagger their opponent should generally fall back to leaping, sprinting, and rolling attacks.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Heavy Knights are by far the easiest thing to parry. Their parryable window is huge.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I killed the Capra Demon on the first try and didn't even realize he was a "boss," you're all terrible.

(I was also level 50ish before taking on the Taurus).

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

(I was also level 50ish before taking on the Taurus).

How the hell do you even do this? Did you just grind hollows at the bonfire? :psyduck:

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Smol posted:

Lore question: is Blighttown related to the Great Swamp?

Maybe. It's possible that the reason Blighttown is so screwed up is because Eingyi's poison pyromancies went out of control and ruined the place, and he only came to Blighttown after being exiled from the Great Swamp (because they hated him and his nasty pyromancies).

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Roobanguy posted:

How the hell do you even do this? Did you just grind hollows at the bonfire? :psyduck:

Imagine killing hollows all the way up to the Taurus tower and then back again, interspersed with the occasional graveyard run when you're really bored.

Then imagine about 12hrs of your life wasted.

EDIT: Then imagine about 10 more hours spent in Darkroot Forest (the ghost section) for another 20ish levels. The mossy golem armor was my main throughout the entire game, later switching to Havel's (and finally the DLC golem armor).

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Yeah, I think your time would have been better spent getting the Drake Sword dragon to torch the guys on the bridge over and over.

Ooh, I did that too. Got screwed outta the 10k souls though since we both died at the same time.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 23, 2012

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Wow, recently got invaded by a dude who was clearly 20+ levels above me. He was wielding a giant mace that was extremely easy to avoid. Eventually got bored of stabbing him for 12 damage and let him kill me so I could go back to enjoying the game.

A little after that I got invaded by a guy who was actually around my level, though strangely when I got his health down to 0 the health bar disappeared and he was still able to damage me but whenever I hit him nothing happened. Eventually it seemed to fix itself and I was able to kill him.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Yeah, I think your time would have been better spent getting the Drake Sword dragon to torch the guys on the bridge over and over.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Joe Man posted:

Imagine killing hollows all the way up to the Taurus tower and then back again, interspersed with the occasional graveyard run when you're really bored.

Then imagine about 12hrs of your life wasted.

EDIT: Then imagine about 10 more hours spent in Darkroot Forest (the ghost section) for another 20ish levels. The mossy golem armor was my main throughout the entire game, later switching to Havel's (and finally the DLC golem armor).

Why would you do this.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Roguelike posted:

Why would you do this.

This statement coming from a guy named Roguelike has me in stitches

but seriously, Joe, you are one hardcore motherfucker.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
So I got tired of messing around in AL before O+S on my strength character and went off to kill Sif and then head to New Londo so I could make my +15 Zweihander. Everything was going smashingly until I got down to the dickwraiths and my hubris got the best of me -- the second one got his two-hit combo off on me and killed me.

No big deal, I'll just run back and get my 70k souls bloodstain. Let me just make the shortcut jump an-- no, NO, DON'T SLIDE NO GOD NO :negative:

I have never felt so defeated in this game. :darksouls: :argh:

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Jeesis posted:

Wow, recently got invaded by a dude who was clearly 20+ levels above me. He was wielding a giant mace that was extremely easy to avoid. Eventually got bored of stabbing him for 12 damage and let him kill me so I could go back to enjoying the game.

A little after that I got invaded by a guy who was actually around my level, though strangely when I got his health down to 0 the health bar disappeared and he was still able to damage me but whenever I hit him nothing happened. Eventually it seemed to fix itself and I was able to kill him.

Levels don't mean much in relation to how powerful someone is. It's more likely the first guy had really good armor. Out of curiosity where did you get invaded the first time?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tensokuu posted:

So I got tired of messing around in AL before O+S on my strength character and went off to kill Sif and then head to New Londo so I could make my +15 Zweihander. Everything was going smashingly until I got down to the dickwraiths and my hubris got the best of me -- the second one got his two-hit combo off on me and killed me.

No big deal, I'll just run back and get my 70k souls bloodstain. Let me just make the shortcut jump an-- no, NO, DON'T SLIDE NO GOD NO :negative:

I have never felt so defeated in this game. :darksouls: :argh:
Hopefully your vagrant will kill some poor goon.

Throckwoddle
Jan 3, 2012

You wanna dance?
Has anybody else been unable to play since the patch? I've tried both removing DSFix completely and using the current (2.0 and 2.0.1) versions and either way my FPS tanks until the game eventually boots me back to the title screen for having too low of a frame rate.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Throckwoddle posted:

Has anybody else been unable to play since the patch? I've tried both removing DSFix completely and using the current (2.0 and 2.0.1) versions and either way my FPS tanks until the game eventually boots me back to the title screen for having too low of a frame rate.

Yeah, I've been getting some major dips every now and again. Some areas of Darkroot were giving me framerate issues.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I didn't even have to update DSfix, I don't know what's going on here. Having no issue.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Throckwoddle posted:

I don't use DSFix at all and my FPS has been perfectly fine since the patch.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The good news is that everyone's been there. Getting flattened by the Capra Demon and his dogs is like the "It's dangerous to go alone..." of Dark Souls.

I got him! Thanks for the vote of confidence, I needed it. I didn't even cheese him! I tried the dung pie trick once but failed at it so I just decided to man up and face him.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
nevermind. me dumb.

Great Horny Toads! fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 23, 2012

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Working on my SL1 run. A couple of observations:

- Normal Smough is vulnerable to lightning. A Lightning Reinforced Club +3 will do about ~230 damage per hit.
- Two Great Combustions or three regular ones will stagger Normal Ornstein.
- If you get clipped by Super Smough's electric buttslam, it's not a one-shot unless you're directly under him or you're not topped off.

Just some advice to anyone else trying it, or struggling with Abbott and Costello in general. If you're killing Smough first, lightning helps for round 1. Fire and fast weapons are your best bet for round 2 (no matter who you kill first), unless you're a smashbro in which case strap on a greatshield and your heaviest, smashiest weapon and nothing else. Maybe Havel's ring. You don't want to fatroll in this fight. Midrolling is okay if you can time it right.

I swapped to my Jagged Ghost Blade +5 for Super Smough and I can't really tell if he's vulnerable to bleeds or not, but a few solid hits staggered him long enough for me to get away and regain stamina.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
I finally got to the point where all that's left between me and the end of my first run through is the last boss.

As such, I'm trying to run around and do the necessary errands for my NG+. I traded with that crow, bought all the spells, farmed a bunch of solid humanity, and have been working on blacksmith upgrades. Any useful advice before I go on my final NPC murdering spree? Anything particularly awesome I should use my titanite slabs on? Good weapons to upgrade to fire/lightning/chaos/whatever? I'm currently using random light armor, a +15 balder side sword and a heater shield.

The highlight of the game for me was definitely O&S. Tearing my hair out and eventually getting through it was amazing. The bosses since then have been kind of underwhelming (except the DLC :stare:), but I don't regret a second of it. I wanted to quit at the Gargs, at Capra, and at Blighttown, but I made it! :feelsgood:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
If you haven't already gotten the various achievements, I would use your slabs and whatnot on the various already-upgraded-weapons you can find all around. For instance, you can get the Occult Club in Anor Londo, so dump your white chunks/slab on that to get the Occult Achievement. There's the Enchanted Falchion, Lightning Spear, and Crystal Halberd (or knight shield), as well. When you do a NG+ run, you can downgrade some of those weapons to bring them up the other upgrade paths (i.e. Enchanted Falchion to Magic+5 to Magic+10)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Really just upgrade what feels best to suit your play style and then kill everyone if you feel like going around doing so. Finish the remaining single-playthrough achievements if you're into that. You keep almost every non-main-quest item when you finally do beat the game so it's not like you're going to lose all that much. New Game Plus doesn't require that much preparation.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yeah, but that's not it.

Figured it out, I think - that's the Dark Hand.

Paracelsus posted:

I think it took me about ten tries to beat the Capra Demon the first time through.

I got Capra on the first try... that I actually managed to get behind him, that is. Omce you've figured out the stairs and are protected, the problem isn't fighting Capra and the dogs, it's managing to get past Capra's opening swing.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I finally got Ornstein and Smough! I'm so happy, you guys...now the worst is behind me, right?

...right?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Vanderdeath posted:

I finally got Ornstein and Smough! I'm so happy, you guys...now the worst is behind me, right?

...right?

New players are the best. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I can't wait to see your reaction to the Tomb of the Giants :allears:

"*pant...pant...pant...*"

• Locked thread