Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

nuncle jimbo posted:

Mother gently caress.

I could give two shits about Cradle nowadays tbh, but those openers are incredible. I didn't think Decapitated could come back from that crash, but what do I know.

I know, I haven't liked anything since around Midian (the Sony album was good but forgettable) but I just want to see them live for the sake of it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dyscrasia posted:

I know this is a few pages back, but goddamn, Attic rules. The best Fate worship I've yet to hear.
I really want to like this, but the guitar playing is borderline incompetent. I get that the original Mercyful Fate recordings had their own problems and suffered from some pretty bad recordings of most of the instrumental harmonies, but these are some of the worst and most un-confident leads I've heard in a really long time.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I have no words:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVzOve8T39w

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

My response was similar, it was "Alrighty then". Bunch of my friends posted this and it's funny to see one of my non-metal friends have his mind blown and another one say it was worse than Charlemagne. I don't know, he's got a pretty awesome voice, but I he is missing the mark where he could use that voice like not in this.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

BMB5150 posted:

My response was similar, it was "Alrighty then". Bunch of my friends posted this and it's funny to see one of my non-metal friends have his mind blown and another one say it was worse than Charlemagne. I don't know, he's got a pretty awesome voice, but I he is missing the mark where he could use that voice like not in this.
uh well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEMeBTmiX4g

Valk
Aug 12, 2011

PhantomBowie tapped this @$$

This is one of those "I like that it exists but why couldn't it be good" things.

Belay that, i am listening to this every day for the rest of December.

Valk fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 22, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Hahaha I loving love that man and hope I'm as awesome (and as alive) as he is when I'm 90.

When we visit my parents for Xmas I'm totally putting that on while we open presents.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

That's fine, but he's not really singing, he's more being a character lending power to the song. I haven't heard too much so I don't have the greatest idea knowing what music he has done. It's just something is offsetting with the Christmas songs. Still funny to hear him doing metal Christmas songs.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

BMB5150 posted:

That's fine
This is probably the best compliment a person can in good conscience give to a Rhapsody video

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Mike Scaccia of Rigor Mortis apparently died on stage last night. Fuckin hell. Everyone should listen to the s/t since it utterly crushes.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

The Clit Avoider posted:

Mike Scaccia of Rigor Mortis apparently died on stage last night. Fuckin hell. Everyone should listen to the s/t since it utterly crushes.
Jesus, that sucks

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

The Clit Avoider posted:

gently caress. That sucks.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jesus gently caress, right before Xmas too. That's terrible. :(

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Oldstench posted:

gently caress. That sucks.

That does suck. Hope they moved the body within three to six hours.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I knew that name sounded familiar, (Rigor Mortis), then I looked into them and I realized why.

Back in the 80s my father was in a band, and they rented out recording space for long blocs at a time, and they ran into Rigor Mortis more than once while doing their thing in the studio. My father played in a band that is pretty much the furthest thing from metal (not kidding), but they jammed a few times with Rigor in spite of it. I wish I had some recordings of that to show, but it sucks that another DFW musician has died. :smith:

I'll probably go ahead and give them a fair listen now.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 24, 2012

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Yay, Facebook. Got Plague Widow album and a compilation of Canadian Black Metal tunes called Northern Bastards, both for free. May have been a one-day thing on the 25th, though.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009

The Clit Avoider posted:

Don't forget the badass Ministry albums he played on.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

What are the opinions around here on Anaal Nathrakh? Vanitas is raping my speakers right now and I love it.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
Vanitas is definitely their most melodic album, and miles better than the previous one which sounded like someone doing a bad Anaal Nathrakh tribute. The day Vanitas came out I bought it, got some :420: and had a public first impressions listening session with my friends. Forging Towards the Sunset and Todos Somos Humanos are absolutely ball busting tracks.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

caiman posted:

What are the opinions around here on Anaal Nathrakh? Vanitas is raping my speakers right now and I love it.

Well, I really dig The Codex Necro, Domine Non Es Dignus, and Hell Is Empty, and All the Devils Are Here. Haven't really listened to any of their other stuff.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

caiman posted:

Anaal Nathrakh is excellent all around. Vanitas is much better than Passion and feels much more like they are back on track after In the Constellation of the Black Widow. Hell is Empty... was solid as hell and everything before is pretty much on par, getting blacker as you go back into their discography.

I still prefer their version of De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas over Mayhem's :colbert:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

caiman posted:

In The Constellations of the Black Window is an amazing album and got me back into grind/noise after I bought it. Vanitas is on my current list of albums to purchase if it's as good as everyone says. Basically they satisfy that whole "be as heavy, fast, and extreme as possible" itch that I want from metal.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I came across this band Xanthochroid's (gently caress that's a mouthful) folky Wintersun cover and found it friggin' gorgeous. Thus I decided to check out their original stuff on Bandcamp and, well, this poo poo's pretty good. Might buy the album. http://xanthochroid.bandcamp.com/releases

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
I listened to Vanitas again today and it is, indeed a great album. Very few bands get that chaotic, hellish sound right without losing all melody in amongst the noise. Definitely one of my best albums of 2012.

I'm actually busy compiling my list for my blog now and would be interested in reading some goon Top 10s.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Radio Paranoia posted:

I listened to Vanitas again today and it is, indeed a great album. Very few bands get that chaotic, hellish sound right without losing all melody in amongst the noise. Definitely one of my best albums of 2012.

I'm actually busy compiling my list for my blog now and would be interested in reading some goon Top 10s.

Thinking about this top 10 thing has made me realize how loving awesome this year has been for metal. Here's mine.

10. RIITIIR - Enslaved
9. CVI - Royal Thunder
8. L'enfant Sauvage - Gojira
7. De Vermis Mysteriis - High On Fire
6. The Fire Is Mine - Seven Kingdoms
5. Incurso - Spawn Of Possession
4. Vanitas - Anaal Nathrakh
3. Pandora's Piñata - Diablo Swing Orchestra
2. Dodecahedron - Dodecahedron
1. Monolith of Inhumanity - Cattle Decapitation

The link for the albums are some of my favourite tracks from each one. A top ten isn't even enough, there were still a lot of releases it pained me to exclude. In particular I wanted to include the goon-recommended Pervertor by Lord Mantis, but I haven't really had enough time with it yet.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I love melodic death metal. I now like Be'lakor and you should too. If you don't, you are wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDQQ0cH1Ys4

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Misogynist posted:

I really want to like this, but the guitar playing is borderline incompetent. I get that the original Mercyful Fate recordings had their own problems and suffered from some pretty bad recordings of most of the instrumental harmonies, but these are some of the worst and most un-confident leads I've heard in a really long time.

I really cannot believe that we are hearing the same music!?!?! Are you sure that your speakers are working properly?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Radio Paranoia posted:

This was hard.
Top 10 in no particular order:

Mgla - With Hearts Towards None
Odz Manouk - S/T Reissue
Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity
Faustcoven - Hellfire and Funeral Bells
Malefices - Povr le Sangs
Deathspell Omega - Drought EP
Adversarial/Antediluvian - Initiated in Impiety as Mysteries
Vassafor - Obsidian Codex 2xLP
Teitanblood - Woven Black Arteries
Pseudogod - Deathwomb Catechesis

Honorable mentions:

Hellvetron - Death Scroll of Seven Hells and Its Infernal Majesties
Malefices - Rites Crvels
Nocturnal Vomit - Cursed Relics
Radioactive Vomit - Witchblood
Aksumite - Prideless Lions

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 30, 2012

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

that one Sepulchre ep that came out in 2011

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Oh man, I've checked out shamefully few new albums this year.

The absolute best album of 2012 for me though, that's easy to pick. it's Grand Magus - The Hunt. This poo poo is just so badass and awesome.

Then there's the S/T of Jess and The Ancient Ones. I listened to this and the Grand Magus album probably as much as all other stuff combined for a time during summer.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I really cannot believe that we are hearing the same music!?!?! Are you sure that your speakers are working properly?
After going back and listening, the later tracks sound a lot better, but man the first couple of tracks on that stream sound awful. The leads are meandering noodling with no idea at all what they're actually trying to accomplish.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Mr. Heroes posted:

I love melodic death metal. I now like Be'lakor and you should too. If you don't, you are wrong.

Hey if you haven't tried their tape "Of Breath and Bone" you should immediately, I liked it a lot more than Stone's Reach and I loving LOVED Stone's Reach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYBgWgjjgxQ

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

m-o-o-n posted:

that one Sepulchre ep that came out in 2011

You really should check out the Hellvetron album I mentioned.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I recently got Pleasure to Kill by Kreator because I've heard that it was one of the foundational albums for death metal, but I just cannot find myself able to like the drumming. I mean the riffs are pretty killer but I mean drat the hi hat work is so loving off time on the blast beats (were there even blast beats back in the mid 80s?).

Is there any other album I should check out other than Pleasure to Kill that would give me a better taste of the group as a whole?

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Radio Paranoia posted:

Hah! I was waiting on someone to ask!!! Lots of great metal in 2012. Makes me excited to see what 2013 holds.

1. Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity
2. Enslaved - RIITIIR
3. Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas
4. Aura Noir - Out To Die
5. Grave - Endless Procession of Souls
6 Attic - The Invocation
7. Nachtmystium - Silencing Machine
8. Asphyx - Deathhammer
9. Rust - Damned Hellish Voids
10. Windhand - Windhand

Honorable mentions:

Panopticon - Kentucky
Chapel - Satan's Rock 'N Roll
Hooded Menace - Effigies Of Evil
Dying Fetus - Reign Supreme
Lord Mantis - Pervertor
Natur - Head of Death
Mlga - With Hearts Toward None
Jess and The Ancient Ones - Jess and the Ancient Ones
Horrendous - The Chills
Faustcoven - Hellfire and Funeral Bells
Gospel of the Horns - Ceremonial Conjuration EP
Blut Aus Nord - 777: Cosmosophy
Wodensthrone - Curse
Nekromantheon - Rise, Vulcan Spectre
Pilgrim - Misery Wizard
Hour of 13 - 333
Royal Thunder - CVI
Black Breath - Sentenced To Life
Weapon - Embers and Revelations

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

m-o-o-n posted:

You got me all excited thinking there was a full new teitanblood albums, but one new song I'll take I guess

my favorites off the of my head...not really any particular order

1 - Chthe'ilist - Amechth'ntaas'm'rriachth
This is just a demo, but its easily my favorite release of the year, if you like demilich youll probably like this.

2 - Anhedonist – Netherwards
Nice slow death/doom

3 - Grand Supreme Blood Court - Bow down blah blah
Best Asphyx album since Last One On Earth, Eric Daniels! I mean Deathhammer was alright, but this is what I want Asphyx albums to sound like.

4 - Grand Magus - The Hunt
I'm just a bitch for poo poo like this, catchy basic heavy metal sounding stuff

5 - Incantation - Vanquish in Vengeance
6 - Horrendous - The Chills

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 30, 2012

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Vargatron posted:

I recently got Pleasure to Kill by Kreator because I've heard that it was one of the foundational albums for death metal, but I just cannot find myself able to like the drumming. I mean the riffs are pretty killer but I mean drat the hi hat work is so loving off time on the blast beats (were there even blast beats back in the mid 80s?).

Is there any other album I should check out other than Pleasure to Kill that would give me a better taste of the group as a whole?

Extreme Aggresssion and Coma Of Souls. Terrible Certainty's alright too; they're all pretty much interchangeable.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 30, 2012

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mr. Heroes posted:

I saw them support At The Gates and they were embarrassingly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Defiant Sally posted:

Hey if you haven't tried their tape "Of Breath and Bone" you should immediately, I liked it a lot more than Stone's Reach and I loving LOVED Stone's Reach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYBgWgjjgxQ

I bought it yesterday with Stone's Reach :metal: