Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Six Of Spades posted:

While you're about, was there ever much character artwork of the same resolution for DR1? The artwork in the first thread was scaled down, and as before I'm reluctant to google anything Dangan Ronpa-related. It's silly, I know...

I can't find a good source on the web that has all the DR1 artwork in high res. I suggest doing a reverse search on Google Images using the images in the DR1 thread to try to find larger versions. I think this method is pretty safe as far as DR2 spoilers are concerned (since it tries to match a specific image), but I can't guarantee it, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Holy poo poo, Nanami's wearing a Not-Black-Frost Hoodie in her art. Spiff.

Pekoyama is... not as intense as I'd expected but she kinda has a passive, downplayed "Live by the Rules" standard that comes off as a counterpart to Ishimaru's overblown version... Makes me wonder if she comes from an all girls middle school or something the way she emphasized that the idea of men and women living together was a novelty...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

orenronen posted:

Peko Pekoyama: Super High-school Level Swordswoman
I suppose it makes sense if the whole point of the school is to research "talent," but goddamn do they assemble some useless skills.

SuRoXT
Feb 13, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

orenronen posted:

Official Art

Chiaki Nanami: Super High-school Level Gamer

Let's see...
There's an ultra-thin PS2, a GBA, a D-pad-less GBA SP with 5 buttons, a Gamecube with 3 controller ports, what I guess is a fake PS1, a DS with 3 screens, GB Fat and GB Color, a Sega Nomad, the Ybox, the Ybox360, A famicon, and what I think is a N64.

I can't tell what the one with a 05 is, or the console two down from that one are trying to be.

And funnnily enough, no PSP related hardware.

Nafleky
Oct 14, 2012
I really like the last three chicks (Well I like most of these characters so far outside of Ibuki who just looks over designed to me) a lot. Peko seems like a level head character who will probably be more of a Togami than fat Togami or something. If she's anywhere as strict and respectful as Sakura, then it's a given she'll continue being awesome. Gamer chick is everything to love ever. So both of these pretty mellow characters (after Photographers mellow) is pretty rad.
Also the xboxes being Yboxes is making me laugh pretty hefty.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I suppose it makes sense if the whole point of the school is to research "talent," but goddamn do they assemble some useless skills.

Kendo is a pretty big drat deal in Japan, dude. It's a common enough sport at schools with cultural heritage attached but even at the bottom line, it's no different than having SHSL baseball or swimming skills... except, you know, she's a swordsman.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm sorry? Being a swordsman is about as great as being a wrestler, and we all know how invincible Sakura was. Sure, you can't do a thing without a sword, but a SHSL Swordsman would probably never part with one.

And then you get such overpowered displays of swordsmanship as Goemon's from Lupin III.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Also, in general if the tables are turned and you're suddenly stuck in a kill-or-be-killed situation (I know, what are the odds?) having sword skills is going to go a long way in keeping yourself safe from any violent attempts on your life.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

SuRoXT posted:

Let's see...
There's an ultra-thin PS2, a GBA, a D-pad-less GBA SP with 5 buttons, a Gamecube with 3 controller ports, what I guess is a fake PS1, a DS with 3 screens, GB Fat and GB Color, a Sega Nomad, the Ybox, the Ybox360, A famicon, and what I think is a N64.

I can't tell what the one with a 05 is, or the console two down from that one are trying to be.

I think the 05 one is supposed to be a PS3 (it has the weirdly prominent recessed disk entry point), the one right above and to the left of the "Y box 360" is a Megadrive/Genesis.

Edit: Also I think the uppermost one on the left might be a PSP but it's pretty warped. except for the part where it's clearly a GBA, whoops

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 23, 2012

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Oh I think I will like Nanami very much.

And Peko appears to be, for me at least, a more "dickish" Sakura, what I mean is that she doesn't seem to be gentle in telling you to be carefull on what you shouldn't do.

I really can't wait for some real characters interactions.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

SingerOfW posted:

And then you get such overpowered displays of swordsmanship as anyone in anime.

Being a swordsman in Japanese media is already usually a superpower. It will be interesting to see how this game handles that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SingerOfW posted:

I'm sorry? Being a swordsman is about as great as being a wrestler, and we all know how invincible Sakura was. Sure, you can't do a thing without a sword, but a SHSL Swordsman would probably never part with one.

And then you get such overpowered displays of swordsmanship as Goemon's from Lupin III.

Well, not expecting Sakura's level of effectiveness.

She was the second best in the world in pretty much every form of hand to hand combat, and the best was dying of cancer.

New girl is just world class. "Most adult men can't beat her" implies that there's a few that can.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

chiasaur11 posted:

"Most adult men can't beat her" implies that there's a few that can.
Good thing that none of them are on the island. Probably.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
I can see why they'd specifically ask for Kotono Mitsuishi, she is a great VA. Her character seems interesting, I like her design and she has that mysterious feel to her that just makes her seem cool not to mention swords are definitely cool.

SingerOfW posted:

I'd love to see her cut some worthless things.

I'm surprised I didn't notice the hair clip on Chiaki, it's kind of a dead giveaway on her ability. So she's another voice I recognise all too well, Kana Hanazawa has been in a lot of anime recently. If you've watched an anime from the past three years then you've probably heard her, she even voiced another Chiaki in an anime this year. at first I thought she'd be quite refined and proper but now I don't think so though I can't figure out why....
So eloquent.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Oh man. Last thread had the ironic ultragoon, but gamer girl here really is the ultimate goon. I don't know what it says about me when I can immediately identify with her a few lines in :negative: The writers know their audience, I suppose.

I've never quite decided whether being so cautious with what you say is a good quality or bad. The idea is to ensure that what you say is what you really meant to communicate, but it's obviously possible to take it too far. It'll be interesting to see how her character goes. I hope that she's going to be a "when she says something you know it's important" kind of character, rather than a "... ... ..." mopey kind of character.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Being a swordsman in Japanese media is already usually a superpower. It will be interesting to see how this game handles that.

Yeah, also remember Dangan Ronpa is Anime as balls which pretty much makes a sword an equivalent to a WMD in that universe.

Also I bet Super Goonette will survive with the power of pure weapons grade :spergin:.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Well she doesn't seem mopey at all. Her "........." was all her losing track of things as she played the game.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Redmark posted:

I hope that she's going to be a "when she says something you know it's important" kind of character, rather than a "... ... ..." mopey kind of character.

She doesn't seem mopey to me, just introverted and probably a little spacey.

So, you know. Us. :negative:

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

Taciturn Tactician posted:

the one right above and to the left of the "Y box 360" is a Megadrive/Genesis.
It might also be a Saturn.

I'm guessing the artist wasn't a big Sega fan since he only put two of their systems on there.

Zellus fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 23, 2012

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Wonder if Peko's going to be the designated crime-scene guard like Sakura was in DR1.

ArcadeBumstead posted:

There's a good possibility that right now, this field trip is exactly what it's being presented as. All the new students of Hope's Peak are basically having a super high school level orientation. The researchers are trying to create the best possible environment for nurturing talent, so of course we need to have everyone get along. In the first game, even a gang leader and a serial killer managed to make friends with the rest of the students. I don't believe they arrived there without some conflict.

As for our bunny rabbit instructor, if you'll notice she is not a mono-bunny at all right now. I believe this is what the monobear technology was originally supposed to be used for. Maybe it's supposed to separate the instructors from the students so that they can also act as unbiased scientists or something. We're not supposed to know about the research aspect of Hope's Peak Academy, but we've been provided this exposition thanks to our exposure to DR Zero.

I believe we can ignore the Monobear logo on the vending machine, as this is sort of a game object separated from the story, much in the way characters don't comment on the existence of save points. Unlike the locked school in the first game, there's no reason someone can't gain access to the island. It looks to me like everything is legit now, and the mastermind is going to arrive later to ruin everything.

I've considered something along similar lines, and the twist is they picked too many high-strung kids for the field trip and they start murdering each other without any extra push beyond cabin fever and a need for respect.

But their surroundings would probably have to be a bit more sparse for that to start happening. I don't think it was ever remarked on, but the sense of confinement and lack of things to do definitely contributed to the atmosphere in DR1. On the other hand, here they have video games and an entire island to play around on.

So maybe it'll be the reverse of DR1's progression. Instead of starting with the most meager possible surroundings and opening up more over time, the kids start out with all this great stuff and then have their privileges abruptly taken away, leading to general crankiness and perhaps even desperation over resources. Like if the bunny takes away almost everything in the store, leaving only enough for a few meals, someone might decide someone else they already don't like needs to die so there's enough for everyone else.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dragoon Cody posted:

Now there's an impressive collection. Lot of Nintendo going on there for a Sony exclusive.
What kind of SHSL gamer would be without any major console/handheld? And Nintendo has made more of those than anybody else (I think), so...

Zellus posted:

It might also be a Saturn.

I'm guessing the artist wasn't a big Sega fan since he only put two of their systems on their.
Oh, hm. You're right, where's the Dreamcast? :argh:

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

SuRoXT posted:

Let's see...

The "fake PS1" is a PC Engine (Japanese Turbografx), I think, and the big black Game Boy is a TurboExpress, the TG-16 equivalent of the Sega Nomad:

edit: and the handheld at the bottom isn't a Nomad or GameGear, it's a NeoGeo Pocket, to go with the NeoGeo up top between the PS3 and Xbox 1.

CrushedB fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 23, 2012

Frostyyy
Feb 24, 2012

You're going to die.

Son Conan posted:

It's sad to admit, but this is pretty much how I am as well.:smith:

I think I'm going to like these two.

Yeah, that's exactly how I am too. I was taken aback for a minute when I read that because I don't know anyone else who has that problem and it's really frustrating at times. I never expected to see it in a video game character.
I get the feeling I may end up identifying with Chiaki way too much for comfort (even aside from the whole gamer thing).

orenronen posted:

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this before, but I really love the use of red eyes the character designers made. Between Celes, Ishimaru and now Peko, it's always really...striking? I'm not really sure how to describe it but I like what it does for a design.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

orenronen posted:

Official Art

Chiaki Nanami: Super High-school Level Gamer

Another coolly chill character. And someone who represents my demographic. :spergin:

orenronen posted:

Peko Pekoyama: Super High-school Level Swordswoman

And speaking of :downs:, you'd think a Super High-school Level Swordswoman would have a better stance. Or maybe she subscribes to the Jojo school of poses.

SuRoXT
Feb 13, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

CrushedB posted:

The "fake PS1" is a PC Engine (Japanese Turbografx), I think, and the big black Game Boy is a TurboExpress, the TG-16 equivalent of the Sega Nomad:

edit: and the handheld at the bottom isn't a Nomad or GameGear, it's a NeoGeo Pocket, to go with the NeoGeo up top between the PS3 and Xbox 1.

So the Turbografx was called the PC Engine? Didn't know that.
And the lack of any SEGA products is really sad.

The more I look at what I thought was a N64, the less I think I'm right.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Calling it now who ever kills Chiaki will turn into the threads most hated character.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
What's the hoodie Chiaki's wearing based on? I can't seem to place it, stupid as that may seem.

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

I fell out of a plane crash because you need to stop.

curiousCat posted:

What's the hoodie Chiaki's wearing based on? I can't seem to place it, stupid as that may seem.

Somebody mentioned earlier that it bore a resemblance to Jack Frost from Shin Megami Tensei. With cat ears...I don't know if it's an intentional shoutout or not, but if so, that's pretty cool.

e:vvv Yeah, that's probably the case. The eyes are kind of similar though...

King Christmas fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 23, 2012

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you see any similarity there, you really need to get your eyes examined. It's just a generic cat ears hoodie. It could be anything.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I don't know how you can talk about impractical SHSL skills, and then bring up Swordswoman, rather than GAMER of all things. Of what practical use is being the best at pushing plastic buttons quickly?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's still impossible for me to see Peko as anything other than Yu Narukami in drag. Oh well, from what I've heard she's the most popular from the DR2 cast, so I'm expecting fun thing.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Spatula City posted:

I don't know how you can talk about impractical SHSL skills, and then bring up Swordswoman, rather than GAMER of all things. Of what practical use is being the best at pushing plastic buttons quickly?

Chiaki makes millions a year from YouTube advertisements.

Robust Laser posted:

Chiaki can barely speak, never mind scream.

She does post-commentary, duh.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 23, 2012

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Chiaki makes millions a year from YouTube advertisements.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Spatula City posted:

In Korea, it gets you money.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Robust Laser posted:

She's a girl AND Japanese. She could post a 4 second video of her standing near a Gameboy Color and get a few million subscribers off the Reddit crowd alone.

Also, is Peko gonna havta cut a bitch?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Rodyle posted:

It's still impossible for me to see Peko as anything other than Yu Narukami in drag.

:stare:

I knew she looked familiar somehow. And now I can never not see it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Loving the fake consoles in Chiaki's art. I wish I had an original XBox that I could casemod into a YBox.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Chiaki could do a tv show about videogames, like Game Center CX

I'm loving all the characters so far. Orenronen and Fedule are doing some top notch work with this LP.

Edit: Ortography!

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 23, 2012

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Super High-School Level... Gamer, was it? With a talent like that, you'd expect her to break out the game quotes immediately. She seems to be a bit more subdued, though. She's certainly less obnoxious than Yamada, at least (though admittedly that doesn't take much).

It's good to see some more subdued characters, though. Between the Animal Trainer and the Coach, we've got plenty of bombastic, over-the-top types.

The swordswoman looks like an interesting design, as well. She certainly appears to have picked up Sakura's "stoic warrior" schtick.

• Locked thread