Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Fallout 3 isn't canon.

Canon is whatever bethesda says it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

The bleakness of the Capital Wasteland just never really seems consistent or real. As much more civilized as the Mojave seems, it's also seems a lot more dangerous.

True, but it's more dangerous because of governments and organization. The Capital Wasteland is safer in some ways because it's a blasted hellhole with nothing to fight over.

I really got into the "magnificent desolation" of the Capital Wasteland, and the Mojave just didn't inspire the same feeling. It was already a desert and the bombs didn't hit it anyway; just not as awe-inspiring as discovering that the White House is a radioactive crater, abandoned and forgotten.

I'm not denying that NV was a better game in nearly every way, but it didn't have the atmosphere that I fell in love with in 3.

Also NV ran at 3 frames a second and didn't like to play dialogue on my computer. :v:

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

Byzantine posted:

True, but it's more dangerous because of governments and organization.

And cazadores.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lord Lambeth posted:

Canon is whatever bethesda says it is.

Why's that?

edit: The only thing canon from Fallout 3 is the Survival Guide, which could probably be put down to Obsidian just reusing art assets, so it's debatable.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

...because they own Fallout? Yeah sure it's not your personal canon but down that road lies madness.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

...because they own Fallout? Yeah sure it's not your personal canon but down that road lies madness.

Yeah, I'm not really a huge fan of the whoever owns a franchise gets to decide what's canon. It's too black and white, and I'm sure if we all sat back and thought about it logically, and with science, we'd agree that Fallout 3's story, characters, setting and factions add nothing to the Fallout world that isn't harmful to the established canon. I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but that's my feelings.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Check out the mod thread, some crazy genius figured out how to implement proper, physics-enabled vehicles in FNV using projectile forces. :psyduck:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Yeah, I'm not really a huge fan of the whoever owns a franchise gets to decide what's canon. It's too black and white, and I'm sure if we all sat back and thought about it logically, and with science, we'd agree that Fallout 3's story, characters, setting and factions add nothing to the Fallout world that isn't harmful to the established canon. I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but that's my feelings.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of calling it "canon"? Like, the single solitary reason to use that word, ever, is to distinguish fan fiction from official works. That's even its function in its original religious context. You can not like something and still have it be canon as balls, just ask a Star Wars fan.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Your defintion of canon is quite literally "things I like or don't like" man. I'm not a fan of Jar Jar but I'm not gonna pretend he never happened.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Besides that, there's also the fact that the game fits into the timeline so pretending it didn't happen is like getting amnesia and never being able to remember one big block of your life just because you don't feel like trying to recall it. Some pretty important in-universe things happened in Fallout 3.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Besides that, there's also the fact that the game fits into the timeline so pretending it didn't happen is like getting amnesia and never being able to remember one big block of your life just because you don't feel like trying to recall it. Some pretty important in-universe things happened in Fallout 3.

Some of them even get explicitly brought up in New Vegas.

Veronica talks about the DC schism, the divide version of ED-E has messages from Autumn, the aforementioned survival guide, etc.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Post-apoc movie derail: This past week I caught a couple great ones on Netflix, Stake Land and Hell, that I'd recommend. The first one is basically a zombie film (but with violent, cannibalistic vampires) with the "we are on the road traveling to a mythical Better Place" motif, and a lot of religious themes. Expected something pretty campy given that premise, but it's got a fairly serious tone and it's pretty impressive in some ways.

Hell is a German film ("Hell" means "bright") with the same road motif but no zombies. Four young people travel a sun-scorched landscape in a Volvo listening to Nena while trying to find water. They get ambushed about halfway through and have to fight their way out for the rest of the film. It's pretty bleak and menacing.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

HitTheTargets posted:

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of calling it "canon"? Like, the single solitary reason to use that word, ever, is to distinguish fan fiction from official works. That's even its function in its original religious context. You can not like something and still have it be canon as balls, just ask a Star Wars fan.

I'm against fan fiction being included as canon, but there should be room for official works being removed from canon when they resemble fan fiction. There's precedent in the FO series for this wrt to Tactics and Brotherhood of Steel. Fallout 3 should be treated the same.

Also can someone point out the important in-universe things that happened in Fallout 3?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Also can someone point out the important in-universe things that happened in Fallout 3?
The DC region has a source of clean water. Well, technically it must have already did given that people lived there and you have household robots that fart out water on demand, but now we have a whole basin of clear water. Located for your convenience and safety right next to raider & super mutant central.
The Enclave has been thoroughly destroyed in the DC area. Potentially the brotherhood as well, but for some reason I think that - just like the FEV-water ending will be ignored.
The GECK was suddenly a super awesome magic device in Fallout 3. This magic device could have been used to create some much needed farmland, but was instead destroyed because Dad is a terrible engineer.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 23, 2012

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Speaking of Fallout 3, I think it's pretty sad that when Fallout 4 is released it's going to be a Bethesda developed title. They're really never going to be able to approach what Black Isle or Obsidian did with the series. There's always been this sense of exploring the remnants of society instead of, well, the remnants of dungeons, which seems to be Bethesda's strong suit.
Also, they're never going to hire decent writers, ever.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I still think you're a little hung up on deciding whether stuff "counts", but there are some neat aesthetic updates I like in FO3. I'm not wild about the raygun gothic-by-way-of-steampunk look of the new Plasma guns, but the laser weapons pair amazingly well with the existing power armor. And power fists! They're baller as hell now. I think the buildable weapons were a good idea. All of the robots they added are good fits, especially the Protectrons. And they updated the Pip-Boy as a more modern game interface.

Is any of this story relevant? Not really. poo poo's cool though.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The quest I Put a Spell on You is really starting to piss me off. No matter what I do I can't complete it. If I use the wait function until midnight I never see anyone come to the tower by 1 am when everyone says they see lights. If I wait by Captain Curtis to see if he leaves he never does. Every once in a while Captain Curtis will magically appear outside the door to the tower and start walking back despite not being in there when I checked a minute previous.

I don't think any quest in any game has frustrated me this much. Especially since I'm playing on hardcore and have to go get food and water between waiting. gently caress this quest.

edit: and while I agree that New Vegas has better characters and writing than FO3 it is much MUCH buggier. I prefer the Capital Wasteland setting over the Mojave but I would definitely prefer New Vegas over FO3 if quests weren't bugging out on me all the time. I've never had to reload as often as I do in New Vegas.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 24, 2012

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I'm against fan fiction being included as canon, but there should be room for official works being removed from canon when they resemble fan fiction. There's precedent in the FO series for this wrt to Tactics and Brotherhood of Steel. Fallout 3 should be treated the same.

Talking deathclaws, ghosts, and the protagonist of Fallout 2 causing the events of Fallout via time travel: canon

Remnants of the BoS fighting remnants of the Enclave on the east coast: TOTAL BULLSHIT gently caress YOU BETHESDA

Raygereio posted:

The Enclave has been thoroughly destroyed in the DC area. Potentially the brotherhood as well, but for some reason I think that - just like the FEV-water ending will be ignored.

Well, yeah. Fallout 2 assumes you didn't go with the "join the Master's army" ending in the first game too.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 24, 2012

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Raygereio posted:

The GECK was suddenly a super awesome magic device in Fallout 3. This magic device could have been used to create some much needed farmland, but was instead destroyed because Dad is a terrible engineer.

James was terrible at everything in Fallout 3. His only redeeming feature was being voiced by Liam Neeson.

I'm hoping that if they pick a canon ending for New Vegas in fallout 4, it'll be a House one, but Fallout canon is weird, like how the good ending for the Followers is impossible to get in Fallout 1, but New Vegas shows that it was the canon ending anyway.

Fallout 2 added some cool stuff to to the lore, but the actual plot was terrible. Considering that the Capital wasteland is about 200 years behind the NCR in terms of culture and civilization, it doesn't really affect the Core Region at all though.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
I'm doing Beyond the Beef and I locked myself out of making the fake meal. I reset the quest and now the quest is bugged really bad. Is there anyway I can reset the quest safely or unlock the fake meal option? My furthest save back was in the middle of the quest.

Edit: Fixed! I used the resurrection command to resurrect Chauncey and selected the conversation option that triggers the fake meal option.

RickDaedalus fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 24, 2012

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

RickDaedalus posted:

I'm doing Beyond the Beef and I locked myself out of making the fake meal. I reset the quest and now the quest is bugged really bad. Is there anyway I can reset the quest safely or unlock the fake meal option? My furthest save back was in the middle of the quest.

Your best bet for anything related to quest related bugs is to hit up The Vault and search for the quest in question and see what other solutions people have come up with. It's usually pretty specific about which console commands will put which quest back on the right track and it's definitely worth bookmarking in general if you love to nerd out about FallOut stuff.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Raygereio posted:

The GECK was always a magic MacGuffin. It was a suitcase-sized device which, in FO2, established Vault City--a sprawling modern settlement by the standards of the first games. Its only limitation seemed to be that it didn't supply endless power (which is what ghoul-run power plants are for).

Wolfsheim posted:

Talking deathclaws, ghosts, and the protagonist of Fallout 2 causing the events of Fallout via time travel: canon

Remnants of the BoS fighting remnants of the Enclave on the east coast: TOTAL BULLSHIT gently caress YOU BETHESDA

People forget just how much humor was involved in the first two games. Some was more subtle stuff or references to other works, but some were ridiculously zany stuff that wasn't really organic to the universe, and not at all meant to be taken seriously by the player. (E.g., Hitchhiker's-esque whale/plant carcasses, a cafe with NPCs that talk about the prior game, aforementioned time travel resulting in the breaking of the Vault 13 water chip, etc.)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Not to mention the crashed Star Trek shuttle. Those were more "Wild Wasteland" things. I don't think Johnny Five Aces is actually a canon character, you know?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Chronojam posted:

I don't think Johnny Five Aces is actually a canon character, you know?

I will angrily mail Bethesda executives nonstop until I die of exhaustion and hunger if Johnny Fiveaces isn't canon.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

I think it'd be cool if a lot of the non-essential but still neat gear got randomly placed each time a fresh save is started. Things like the permanent +skill books or the snow globes / bobble heads or even the unique weapons and armor would be cool to have randomly spawn, and it'd make exploring the entire wasteland an interesting endeavor. As it is now, it's hard for me to play though FO3/NV without first making a beeline for all of the skill books and whatnot because I am a terrible min/maxer and I just feel like I'm not playing right if I don't collect all those free bonuses. The down side to this is that I rarely have a reason to visit locations that I know don't really contain any loot of significance.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Derek Dominoe posted:

The GECK was always a magic MacGuffin. It was a suitcase-sized device which, in FO2, established Vault City--a sprawling modern settlement by the standards of the first games. Its only limitation seemed to be that it didn't supply endless power (which is what ghoul-run power plants are for).

The GECKs in Fallout 2 were basically glorified "Babby's first farm" kits where they included basic seeds, information on how to farm and purify water. Basic skills that a post-apocalyptic society would need to get agriculture going again. Vault 8's success was that it had a GECK (so it didn't have to mess around with rediscovering concepts like crop-rotation farming, which is something Shady Sands did have to figure out). Plus, they had a giant vault that they could siphon off power from.

I was always surprised though at their tiny population. The game gave a headcount of 103 Vault City citizens, and that population was supposed to be strictly enforced through regulated births. Since vaults were supposed to have at max 1000 people, and Vault City was supposed to have been around for a while, what happened to all that extra population? Was Vault City regulating itself to extinction? Was their standard of living only maintainable for a fraction of their initial population? NCR's population at the same time was estimated to be 600,000. Vault City's whole ability to resist any encroachment seemed highly unlikely.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I decided to play NV again, so my hook this time is max strength and max luck and being completely neutral until a fraction crosses me and I completely wipe them out with a machete.

The prison is currently filled with corpses after one too many Powder Gangers told me to be afraid of them.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

My second playthrough was max Strength max Luck, although I went straight for the Legion. It was a fun playthrough, but I had to suck down a LOT of chems when it came to dealing with deathclaws. :psyduck:

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Line Feed posted:

My second playthrough was max Strength max Luck, although I went straight for the Legion. It was a fun playthrough, but I had to suck down a LOT of chems when it came to dealing with deathclaws. :psyduck:

A drugged to the gills punchy-person is obviously the best way to go Legion. I hope you also tanked your INT score?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Well, yeah. Fallout 2 assumes you didn't go with the "join the Master's army" ending in the first game too.

It's not about what's "bullshit" (Don't ever remember using that term or getting angry at anyone, just trying to have a discussion, not get mad), it's about what is and isn't coherent within the established canon. Fallout 3 is a Fallout themed fan fiction set far away from the integral goings on in the fallout-verse. If Bethesda really wanted it to be True Canon, they would have set it on the West Coast, and given it to a competent developer (they did and it's called New Vegas).

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I will angrily mail Bethesda executives nonstop until I die of exhaustion and hunger if Johnny Fiveaces isn't canon.

Johnny 5 Aces and other Wild Wasteland features are canon.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Yeah, stuff created by the people that own Fallout is not fan-fiction, no matter how much you want it to be.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yip Yips posted:

Yeah, stuff created by the people that own Fallout is not fan-fiction, no matter how much you want it to be.

So if Disney were to release a Star Wars movie next year that was just a 30 second clip of Luke waking up on Tatooine and saying "It was all a dream!" You would accept that as canon? I don't understand the logic in that.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

It's not about what's "bullshit" (Don't ever remember using that term or getting angry at anyone, just trying to have a discussion, not get mad), it's about what is and isn't coherent within the established canon. Fallout 3 is a Fallout themed fan fiction set far away from the integral goings on in the fallout-verse. If Bethesda really wanted it to be True Canon, they would have set it on the West Coast, and given it to a competent developer (they did and it's called New Vegas).

Johnny 5 Aces and other Wild Wasteland features are canon.

Fallout canon is really, really loose with a lot of things due to the player choice thing. Wild Wasteland has to be turned on manually, and the game itself describes it as "silly" - it's non-canon. By your logic, the "take the dam with Elijah" ending to Dead Money is probably canon, just because of who developed it, even though logically that can't be the case.

Just because Fallout 3 had a bad story doesn't make it non-canon, it did try really hard to be part of the Fallout world, and pretty much succeeded. It had some design issues, but it's canon. Deal with it. :colbert:

If you want to talk about fallout that ISN'T canon, try Fallout: Tatics, Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel and Fallout: Extreme and most of Van Buren.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 24, 2012

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I wish I could bleach Brotherhood of Steel from my mind. F3 had a bunch of problems but compared to the utter garbage that's BoS, it's infinitely better.

VaultAggie fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 24, 2012

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Arbitrary Coin posted:

A drugged to the gills punchy-person is obviously the best way to go Legion. I hope you also tanked your INT score?

Actually, no. Her INT was fairly decent. :v:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Knuc If U Buck posted:

So if Disney were to release a Star Wars movie next year that was just a 30 second clip of Luke waking up on Tatooine and saying "It was all a dream!" You would accept that as canon? I don't understand the logic in that.

If the creators said so, then yes...? It would be stupid, but I'm not sure why a displeased fan's opinion would suddenly start trumping the creators of a series or universe.

Sometimes in an ongoing fictional universe there's grey area in what's canon and what's not--and sometimes really stupid decisions get forgotten/retconned/downplayed, but making that claim about Fallout 3 as a whole--an objectively major, legitimate contribution to and continuation of the series--is pretty weird magical thinking.

OldMemes posted:

Just because Fallout 3 had a bad story doesn't make it non-canon, it did try really hard to be part of the Fallout world, and pretty much succeeded. It had some design issues, but it's canon. Deal with it. :colbert:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Knuc If U Buck posted:

:goonsay:

Let's get rope kid in here to debate with Knuc! I'm sure he'll have nothing but positive things to say!

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Saint Sputnik posted:

Post-apoc movie derail: This past week I caught a couple great ones on Netflix, Stake Land and Hell, that I'd recommend. The first one is basically a zombie film (but with violent, cannibalistic vampires) with the "we are on the road traveling to a mythical Better Place" motif, and a lot of religious themes. Expected something pretty campy given that premise, but it's got a fairly serious tone and it's pretty impressive in some ways.

Hell is a German film ("Hell" means "bright") with the same road motif but no zombies. Four young people travel a sun-scorched landscape in a Volvo listening to Nena while trying to find water. They get ambushed about halfway through and have to fight their way out for the rest of the film. It's pretty bleak and menacing.

Just watched Stake Land on your recommendation. It was surprisingly, pleasantly not terrible. Very heavy The Road vibes.

Watching Hell now LOOK OUT HE'S RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!!!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Elmo Oxygen posted:

And cazadores.

Which came from Big MT, an untouched-by-the-bombs research facility.

...for that matter, was anything hit by the War in New Vegas? Vegas/the Dam were saved by Mr House (also the best choice), and I don't recall anything else taking nukes on the chin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wow, didn't realise that so many people hear had such a black and white opinion of the definition of canon. Good to get a discussion going about these kinds of things, but I'll definitely have to agree to disagree at this point.

rotinaj posted:

:goonsay:

Let's get rope kid in here to debate with Knuc! I'm sure he'll have nothing but positive things to say!

Rope Kid's a hell of a nice guy so I'm sure this is correct.