Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

Have there been any notable suicides in MMA? The Jovan Belcher story has got a lot of people talking about the correlation between traumatic brain injury and mental health again, (I don't follow football so I don't know many specifics on that argument in relation to the NFL, but it made me think about my favorite sport in which people punch-kick one another's heads a lot.)

prolly anyone who invested in wamma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Personally, I think the media likes talking about roid rage and TBI as a cause of athletes committing violent acts because it lets them ignore talking about a culture that raises star athletes to think they're demigods unconstrained by reality.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Bluedeanie posted:

Have there been any notable suicides in MMA?

Possibly Evan Tanner?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't think Evan committed suicide - didn't he send texts to a bunch of friends alerting them that he'd run out of water and that they should send help?

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bluedeanie posted:

Have there been any notable suicides in MMA? The Jovan Belcher story has got a lot of people talking about the correlation between traumatic brain injury and mental health again, (I don't follow football so I don't know many specifics on that argument in relation to the NFL, but it made me think about my favorite sport in which people punch-kick one another's heads a lot.)

Justin Levens is the only UFC fighter I can think of.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I'm surprised Jens hasn't killed himself

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

henkman posted:

I'm surprised Jens hasn't killed himself
him not doing so is in fact indicative of poor mental health

I'm kidding, champ! Don't kill yourself!

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Bluedeanie posted:

Not yet, but Penn's decided to be the first. :twisted:

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP

Chexoid posted:

:twisted:

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Halloween Jack posted:

Personally, I think the media likes talking about roid rage and TBI as a cause of athletes committing violent acts because it lets them ignore talking about a culture that raises star athletes to think they're demigods unconstrained by reality.

TBI has gone from a medical issue to a media narrative and it's a little sickening.

Chexoid posted:

That's just mean

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'm going to preface this by saying I'm in no way any kind of medical authority and most of what I've got to say has come from bits and pieces I've read over the years from different governing bodies and mental health "experts" quoted in articles.

There's a belief that I believe in this stage is still only considered a hypothesis that repeated trauma to the brain especially the frontal lobe can affect the behaviour of the affected person.

The theory usually goes on that repeated trauma can directly affect their ability to recognise what is the right decision and consequences of those actions.

For that reason it's possible to expect that in the heat of the moment an athlete like Benoit who'd had repeated concussions and someone like a linebacker, lineman, running back or really any position on the football field would begin to lose their ability to make smart decisions and think about the consequences of those decisions.

The next part of the equation is whether or not they're just entitled jerk offs who've been gifted everything they've got their whole lives and that over-active sense of entitlement gets them into as much trouble as any brain injury would.

In the last few years there's been stories about Ben Roethlisberger (Pittsburgh) being accused of forcing himself on women, domestic violence with people like Brandon Marshall (now with Chicago). The benoit issue before, you could possibly go further into guys like Ritchie Incognito, Ray Lewis, OJ Simpson, Pacman Jones, the list of football players who've done stupid poo poo goes on and on.

Comparing it to MMA and any issues, or potential issues with head injury is difficult.

Firstly because Football players are if they're in a football town or city are treated like demi-gods from the age of about 16 when they start for their highschool team. They're also suffering trauma to their noggin from pop warner days. Often during the crucial development stages in adolescence.

So you've got to ask the question is this a case of mega assholes being mega assholes, front lobe disorder or a combination of the two creating a recipe for disaster.

With MMA it's only really been a prominent sport for the last decade. The participants aren't as universally pampered as football players and there simply isn't as much data from highschool to college to professional for decades as there is with football, so it's difficult to compare the two.

The other thing to keep in mind too is that while MMA fighters do suffer repeated trauma to their brain, it's not with the same consistency as boxers or footballers so there's something to be said for that. There's no standing counts in MMA, there's quicker (or supposed to be) stoppages when a fighter is in danger. That doesn't happen in football where it's a baseline concussion test that they just have to pass or fail, and most of them have known how to game that system since highschool.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
MMA fighters still spar, though, and that's where most of the damage builds up for fighters. Ali took some beatings in the ring, but he also let his sparring partners knock the poo poo out of him daily for years.

Pernell Whitaker's another good case. Dude was slick as snot in the ring, but still got TBI tragically young

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

MMA fighters still spar, though, and that's where most of the damage builds up for fighters. Ali took some beatings in the ring, but he also let his sparring partners knock the poo poo out of him daily for years.

Pernell Whitaker's another good case. Dude was slick as snot in the ring, but still got TBI tragically young

It of course varies by gym, but striking sparring in mma gyms is usually at varying intensity and even the heavy days don't have the kind of striving for knockdowns you get at a competitive boxing gym.

Then of course on the other side of the spectrum you have Chute Boxe.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

fatherdog posted:

It of course varies by gym, but striking sparring in mma gyms is usually at varying intensity and even the heavy days don't have the kind of striving for knockdowns you get at a competitive boxing gym.

Then of course on the other side of the spectrum you have Chute Boxe.

It might be another isolated case, but Nick Denis said he was having more and more trouble coping with the hits he was taking at Tri-Star, which is what pushed him to retire (But I pretty much agree that most MMA gyms aren't going nutso)

also isolated case - Donald SUH-ROH-NAY: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGHa8P-iXdU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ali had like 70 total fights including amateur, all of that was getting thumped in the head probably at a greater intensity.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

LobsterMobster posted:

also isolated case - Donald SUH-ROH-NAY

There's also footage of Guillard getting knocked on his rear end by a hook at Jackson's.

I'm definitely glad to hear that gym wars are out of fashion in MMA. Too many boxing trainers think that having young guys tear each other to pieces is a replacement for teaching actual skills.

e:

BlindSite posted:

Ali had like 70 total fights including amateur, all of that was getting thumped in the head probably at a greater intensity.

Not disputing that a lot of fights fucks you up. What I'm saying is that sparring does a lot of damage simply because of how much of it there is in a fighter's career.

Julio Cesar Fatass fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 4, 2012

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah, it's not really the actual fights that cause the long term damage on fighters but all the training. Most injuries occur in the gym and even if you don't go 100% in sparring you're still getting hit in the head multiple times most days every week.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

I can only compare boxing to Muay Thai, but the intensity of sparring in all boxing gyms i've trained at was much higher than in the MT gyms.

There's the occasional sprained ankle or bruised rib at the gym, smaller knee injuries are also relatively common, but that's nothing compared to the constant damage to the face and head that the amateur boxers i know suffer every week.

We have one dude at our gym who also trains boxing, and every week his nose is pointing a different direction, he also frequently talks about KOs in training. Boxers spar ridiculously hard- that poo poo would never fly with our coach.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

I'm definitely glad to hear that gym wars are out of fashion in MMA. Too many boxing trainers think that having young guys tear each other to pieces is a replacement for teaching actual skills.

Mayhem Miller was telling a story once in his early Team Punishment days that him and Dan Henderson would head to a high school gym and fight at 100% all day, every day. I guess there were a mix of Quest and Punishment guys that would join in as well.

Can you imagine?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

Mayhem Miller was telling a story once in his early Team Punishment days that him and Dan Henderson would head to a high school gym and fight at 100% all day, every day. I guess there were a mix of Quest and Punishment guys that would join in as well.

Can you imagine?

Taking 100% power Big Right Hands on the regular explains a lot about Mayhem.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Not disputing that a lot of fights fucks you up. What I'm saying is that sparring does a lot of damage simply because of how much of it there is in a fighter's career.

Sorry, I meant more or less that if you take his 70 total, and extrapolate from that, that he's had training camps for those fights, that's a poo poo load more boxing training that someone like BJ Penn who hasn't had anywhere near that many fights.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I was watching a mid 90s movies called Virtuosity the other day, and in it, at a mall, the films villain is watching news footage of himself, eventually turning every tv channel to the news report. A lot of the tv channels were showing the UFC, and there seemed to be about 4 guys in the octagon. Was this an actual event? or did they set it up for the movie? It was using the original UFC logo, so it wasn't just some knock off.

EDIT: never mind, it was staged.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 14, 2012

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Snowman_McK posted:

I was watching a mid 90s movies called Virtuosity the other day, and in it, at a mall, the films villain is watching news footage of himself, eventually turning every tv channel to the news report. A lot of the tv channels were showing the UFC, and there seemed to be about 4 guys in the octagon. Was this an actual event? or did they set it up for the movie? It was using the original UFC logo, so it wasn't just some knock off.

EDIT: never mind, it was staged.

If you want to see a real life UFC fight, watch cradle 2 tha grave

a silver spaceship
Dec 27, 2009
Is the Van Damme - Somluck Kamsing fight a real thing?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MycroftXXX posted:

If you want to see a real life UFC fight, watch cradle 2 tha grave

It's weird to watch that now. Li arrives just as a Liddel/Ortiz fight concludes, with the ref holding up Tito's hand

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

For what it's worth, I wanted to kill myself after my first pro loss(incidentally also my first pro fight), but quickly came to the conclusion that I can't play video games in hell.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Jesus Christ I literally spent an hour looking for useful beginners guides to watching MMA on Google to no success. Decided to go SA, found this thread while reading some WWE news in the WWE thread. You are a wonderful person op.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

We should really update those top 10 lists because they are out of date. Also Fedor is there, gently caress that guy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

We should really update those top 10 lists because they are out of date. Also Fedor is there, gently caress that guy.

The dude is on a three fight winning streak. Let's compare that to one fight winning streak of the so called "#2 Fighter in the World." He should at least be #2 if not #1.

I know rankings are stupid but it'd make for a fun thread to see everyone try to make lists for each division. Less to have definitive meaningful lists, because we know they aren't, but just to spur discussion and see what we ended up with. That and most of us would have to struggle to name ten flyweights.

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess
Rhonda Rousey isn't even mentioned on the list of female fighters. If you were to make that list today, she would probably be ranked number one. That says quite a bit of the meteoric rise her career has had.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

1st AD posted:

Updating the list month by month would be a pain. Major sports/mma websites have their lists which get updated frequently and are decent guides. http://espn.go.com/mma/rankings/_/class/welterweight. Select the classes at the top p4p pound rankings don't mean poo poo.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

We should probably have a new OP; it's been nearly two years. Volunteers?

MassRayPer posted:

I know rankings are stupid but it'd make for a fun thread to see everyone try to make lists for each division. Less to have definitive meaningful lists, because we know they aren't, but just to spur discussion and see what we ended up with. That and most of us would have to struggle to name ten flyweights.

Go ahead and make the thread. There is no conservation of threads necessary. We have a whole forum.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

Go ahead and make the thread. There is no conservation of threads necessary. We have a whole forum.

I wasn't worried about taking up space, more that it was a dumb idea. Since it might not be: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3524291&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post410837273 there we are!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

LobsterMobster posted:

It might be another isolated case, but Nick Denis said he was having more and more trouble coping with the hits he was taking at Tri-Star, which is what pushed him to retire (But I pretty much agree that most MMA gyms aren't going nutso)
The way I interpreted Denis' quote was not that the shots in sparring were too hard in general, but that they were less than what he'd take in the cage, but still too much for his long term brain health.

quote:

also isolated case - Donald SUH-ROH-NAY: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGHa8P-iXdU
That was a well placed kick, but not an overly hard one.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

LobsterMobster posted:

PaRaSiTe666420 posted:

i'm the dude that got knocked out. no hard feelings and i'm sorry cowboy but this video is as much mine as it is yours so i wanted to put it up. before you guys all talk poo poo remember cerrone never meant to hurt me. we went to hooters afterward and had a good time. dont talk poo poo because you weren't there. my hat goes off to donald cerrone. you want to be the best you gotta train with the best. i just happened to get knocked the hell out ;) enjoy

Yeah, you must've been knocked out, if you thought you had a good time at Hooters with Donald Cerrone.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
PaRaSiTe666420

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Bluedeanie posted:

Yeah, you must've been knocked out, if you thought you had a good time at Hooters with Donald Cerrone.

Dude, that would probably kickass.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

I'll do it since no one's stuck their hand up. If anyone wants anything specific included post about it here and I'll get it up to date.

I might add a post after the main info detailing stuff that always gets asked too, like why randy couture is an rear end in a top hat.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
edit: I can't read good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

BlindSite posted:

I'll do it since no one's stuck their hand up. If anyone wants anything specific included post about it here and I'll get it up to date.

I might add a post after the main info detailing stuff that always gets asked too, like why randy couture is an rear end in a top hat.

You should include reasons why wrestling is the best base for MMA, including all the non-skill related ones (wrestling is a grueling and tough sport that sees athletes get beat up and cutting weight in their early teens, etc)