Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Sihastru posted:

Probably the wrong thread for this but what was the word for that mental disorder (I believe) in which people are unable to control their emotions when exposed to great works of art ? I'm sure one of you goons know what I'm talking about.

Stendhal Syndrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

You are part of a long tradition
of needless self-sacrifice so that
dickbags can eat overpriced foie gras.
I hoping that someone can offer me some sound advice --

My boyfriend loves to paint, and I know nothing about painting. I would like to buy him some new paints and brushes for Christmas, but I have no idea where to begin. There's a good art store in our neighborhood (http://www.artistcraftsman.com), and I know he generally uses acrylic and oil paint on canvas and that he likes to mess around with mixed medium stuff -- like wax, thinners, spray paint, etc.

Basically I'm looking for reasonably priced paint and tool suggestions so that I don't end up with total crap that he won't use. Help me out?

Thanks!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

reserve posted:

I hoping that someone can offer me some sound advice --

My boyfriend loves to paint, and I know nothing about painting. I would like to buy him some new paints and brushes for Christmas, but I have no idea where to begin. There's a good art store in our neighborhood (http://www.artistcraftsman.com), and I know he generally uses acrylic and oil paint on canvas and that he likes to mess around with mixed medium stuff -- like wax, thinners, spray paint, etc.

Basically I'm looking for reasonably priced paint and tool suggestions so that I don't end up with total crap that he won't use. Help me out?

Thanks!

- some boar bristle filberts, sizes from 1/2 an inch wide up to 2 inches should be good
- Colors: ultramarine blue, phthalo cyan, cad red, some kinda magenta, lemon yellow, cad yellow, and a big huge tube of white. You want a warm and a cool of each primary color. Black and earth tones optional.
- for acrylics, a bottle of medium (glossy or matte, or both!). For oils, a bottle of Gamsol and a bottle of refined linseed oil.
- a metal palette knife
- a glass or wood palette

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.

Battle Pigeon posted:

Thanks for the reply! From what you wrote, I would say I work in a similar way, but will still try them out on different surfaces. Since you use Prismacolours and they're hard to get a hold of here, would you say they live up to their hype? I often heard them talked about as if they're the best option available when it comes to coloured pencils (and markers, I guess).

Also, another question (for anyone) since you reminded me of it-for artist trading cards, do people buy specific packs/precut cards, or make their own? I've always cut my own cards to work with.

First off, I highly dislike Prismacolor markers. All the ones I have gotten have leaked or run out. I use Copic markers, which are more expensive but they are refillable and nicer in general.

As far as colored pencils go, I can't imagine anything coming close to Prismacolors quality. People don't believe me when I tell them my work is done with colored pencils, that's how smooth and bright they are. I actually bought mine brand new off of eBay for a crazy discounted price. Working with them is a joy.

As for ATC's I either cut my own or use really small postcards, but I know about the packs/variety packs because someone bought me a little assortment for Christmas last year.

Noisycat fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 3, 2012

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
Hi all. I could use some opinions on this.

I have an MC whose name is (courtesy of a random generator) Edwin Weiss. He's a megalomaniac and not nearly as smart as he thinks. In the intro, I was going to have him introduce himself (tentative first person POV) and elaborate, "You know, like the magician? Bah, no one ever gets it."

Now, I know that Harry Houdini's real name was Erik Weiss (:thejoke:), but I'm concerned that my audience will assume I am confused, not the character. Normally not a big deal, but it's for a writing contest. Is the characterization worth the trouble to offer an explanation (one line in the dA description), or worse, risk people assuming I don't do basic research?

Thanks for your time. :)

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
I'm planning out the plots of a few short stories and I'm going for kind of a gritty dirty almost detective noir type feel to it. My problem is that I don't know whether I should write it in first-person, from the protagonist's point of view, or if I should go third-person. Given the feel I'm going for, which do you guys think would be better? Or should I just try writing in both styles and figure out for myself which works best? Can anyone tell me some pros and cons of first and third person?

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
This link covers many of the pros and cons.

http://www.tarakharper.com/k_frstpr.htm

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Nyarai posted:

This link covers many of the pros and cons.

http://www.tarakharper.com/k_frstpr.htm

Oh excellent, this is exactly what I needed! Thanks -- it looks like there are other helpful topics there, too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nyarai posted:

Hi all. I could use some opinions on this.

I have an MC whose name is (courtesy of a random generator) Edwin Weiss. He's a megalomaniac and not nearly as smart as he thinks. In the intro, I was going to have him introduce himself (tentative first person POV) and elaborate, "You know, like the magician? Bah, no one ever gets it."

Now, I know that Harry Houdini's real name was Erik Weiss (:thejoke:), but I'm concerned that my audience will assume I am confused, not the character. Normally not a big deal, but it's for a writing contest. Is the characterization worth the trouble to offer an explanation (one line in the dA description), or worse, risk people assuming I don't do basic research?

Thanks for your time. :)

For what it's worth I had no idea Houdini's real name was Weiss, and I'm a general knowledge ninja. So unless your character is sort of a bitter hipster I'd not bother with that line unless you're going to spell it out a little.

^and noir is classically first person, but there's no reason you couldn't do it in 3rd.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
Thanks a lot, seb. That really helps. :D The story's less about hipsterism and more about vampires (Santa story, WoD style). Not really worth risking the mood for, at best, a chuckle or an, "Oh, that's clever," from whoever has obscure trivia-fu.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Online printing services like Vistaprint and Uprinting were mentioned on the previous page, so I'm wondering if that's the sort of service I should go to to get a digital painting printed, or if I'm completely off base and there's a different type of store for printing painting-type things. Out of their products listed, the closest match is probably a poster?

The thing we want printed is a painting in Photoshop I made for a friend who wants to frame it in a particular frame that she already has. I'm pretty clueless about how print works. The image is a .psd in CMYK at 300dpi and 40cm x 30cm (to fit the particular frame she has), and she only wants one copy, maybe two. 40cm x 30cm is probably a nonstandard paper size, so I should look into getting it on the closest bigger size and crop it myself? (Though it looks like Uprinting has a custom size option for posters. How much room is standard to leave between the edge of the paper and the image to avoid printing mishaps?)
If she's putting it in a frame with glass, should I be looking into matte finishes instead of gloss? Or will that have less vibrant colors? Is this the sort of thing you request archival paper for?

I also assume I shouldn't go to like a Kinkos or Staples for this kind of thing.

(I'm in the US if that matters.)

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
Does anyone know how to recreate the text style in photoshop? I would love a few pointers on how to do it or even what that type of text is called so I can google some tutorials.

(Image credit goes to RAMART79 from deviantart)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's just extruded text. Just do a search for 'extruded text' + your application of choice. If you've got a version of photoshop with 3d support this is trivial. 3D> Repousse>Text layer and pick the option out of the swatch that matches yours the closest.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Also it's Futura.

edit VVVV :aaaaa: those Germans have a word for everything

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 11, 2012

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Pympede posted:

Does anyone know how to recreate the text style in photoshop? I would love a few pointers on how to do it or even what that type of text is called so I can google some tutorials.

(Image credit goes to RAMART79 from deviantart)

It's Plastica.

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
I need some advice about buying Manga Studio. I was considering getting M.S. Ex 4 from Amazon for $80, as a Christmas gift for someone, but just as I was ready to buy, I ran across a link where Smith Micro had a "pre-launch" version of M.S. Debut 5 available, also for $80: http://manga.smithmicro.com/mangastudio5. Physical copy only, no download.

And yeah, I didn't know about the $30 Black Friday special. :bang:

Anyways, I can't tell if what's in M.S. Debut 5 will be better than what's in M.S. Ex 4 today. I've never used any version of M.S., so I'm out of my element. Go with the tried and true, or go with the bleeding edge? I was also wondering if anyone had any good or bad experiences with ordering physical copies of software directly from Smith Micro. Most specifically, would it ship in time for Christmas? :ohdear:

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this has been asked elsewhere in CC.

Edit: Okay, thanks neonnoodle and SynthOrange. I'm going with M.S. Ex 4. Less risk about the shipping, plus I know it should run okay on the target computer, a slightly older Mac.

NadaTooma fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 12, 2012

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just check out the 'what's new' list for 5. If you can live without them, then 4. If you cant live with the feeling you're missing out, 5.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

NadaTooma posted:

I need some advice about buying Manga Studio. I was considering getting M.S. Ex 4 from Amazon for $80, as a Christmas gift for someone, but just as I was ready to buy, I ran across a link where Smith Micro had a "pre-launch" version of M.S. Debut 5 available, also for $80: http://manga.smithmicro.com/mangastudio5. Physical copy only, no download.

And yeah, I didn't know about the $30 Black Friday special. :bang:

Anyways, I can't tell if what's in M.S. Debut 5 will be better than what's in M.S. Ex 4 today. I've never used any version of M.S., so I'm out of my element. Go with the tried and true, or go with the bleeding edge? I was also wondering if anyone had any good or bad experiences with ordering physical copies of software directly from Smith Micro. Most specifically, would it ship in time for Christmas? :ohdear:

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this has been asked elsewhere in CC.

MS5 is a rebranding of another program called CLIP Paint Studio. If you go to YouTube or DeviantArt you can find tons of tutorials/overviews of its features, because it's been out in Japan for a while and the weeaboos have been trying to translate it to English. It's a really nice program, but they say they're going to release an EX version next year, and I don't know what the deal is yet with within-version upgrading between standard and EX versions.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005

Thank you guys so much, that was a huge help. SA is the best. I ended up finding another forum talking about Plastica and someone suggested Umbra as a replacement which I ended up using.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
I'm looking to try to boost my creativity level, and I've been thinking that writing short stories may be a good way to do that. Now, I think one of my biggest weaknesses on that front is character development. Does anyone know of some good resources that might help offer basic tips for creating good characters in fiction?

I looked through the resource link thread and there didn't seem to be anything that obviously fit what I was looking for, though the Seventh Sanctum character generators might help a bit.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pseudorandom posted:

I'm looking to try to boost my creativity level, and I've been thinking that writing short stories may be a good way to do that. Now, I think one of my biggest weaknesses on that front is character development. Does anyone know of some good resources that might help offer basic tips for creating good characters in fiction?

I looked through the resource link thread and there didn't seem to be anything that obviously fit what I was looking for, though the Seventh Sanctum character generators might help a bit.

Come to Thunderdome. It is, no lie, the best thing to happen to my writing in my life to date.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

sebmojo posted:

Come to Thunderdome. It is, no lie, the best thing to happen to my writing in my life to date.

Everyone who writes or thinks they might want to write, get in. :black101::respek::getin:

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

pseudorandom posted:

:ughh: That poo poo's almost as bad as the TVTropes "pick tropes out a hat and bingo bango you got a character" bullshit. The truth is, writing good characters comes out of understanding people, and there's no magic formula other than to socialize with people and try to understand what makes them tick.

Go read K.M. Weiland's blog, which I linked in the resources thread. ALL OF IT.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
So I'm doing a small poster and some flyers for an open mic thing. They asked me to have a file ready to print in both a small size (they said they print 4 per page on standard sized paper), and a larger size on 8.5X11 inch paper. I don't need to do the printing, just have the image file ready to go with text already on it.

I pretty much only work with traditional media. The most I do with computers and art is occasionally photograph my drawings for facebook. It sounds really dumb but I have no idea how to prepare this image to be printed the way they want.

The original piece is roughly 5.5 by 8.5. I have a pretty big JPG I scanned, but now I have literally idea what I need to do to make it look nice and printable with text that looks good in both sizes.

I am a luddite, help me so I can shuffle back off to the Thunderdome.

edit: Nevermind, figured it out. It turns out the secret is just to have a more technically proficient friend, and then whine at them relentlessly.

Sitting Here fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 18, 2012

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm having an issue with Adobe Premiere CS6 with choppy preview playback. It just started a few days ago. All of a sudden my preview playback is very, very choppy. It resembles a slideshow and I can't figure out what's going on. I've tried Googling for a fix, but haven't found any helpful information. It has been going for a few days now and it's really making things difficult.

I haven't made any changes to my system. What could be causing the severe lag in my preview?

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
That's the point where I try dicking around with settings. Do you use MPE GPU acceleration? Mess around with your preview playback resolution. Make sure the drive with the footage isn't dying or being used for something else demanding. Make a sacrifice to the gods.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Yip Yips posted:

That's the point where I try dicking around with settings. Do you use MPE GPU acceleration? Mess around with your preview playback resolution. Make sure the drive with the footage isn't dying or being used for something else demanding. Make a sacrifice to the gods.
I don't use MPE GPU- should I be? And I've tried everything else- closing out background applications, reducing the playback resolution. It's not even a large file. :negative:

party hat
Apr 22, 2010
I really hope I can get an answer here!

I'm preparing a shadow box for my boyfriend but I'm not quite sure how to secure a couple of items. When his two dogs died, he got clay imprints of their paw done and he really cherishes them. I need a way to secure them in the box for hanging without causing damage to the clay should we take them out for whatever reason. Im not sure if theres any adhesives that will safely come off of clay, but still hold firm. Any ideas? Pleeease?

Thanks in advance!

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?

party hat posted:

I really hope I can get an answer here!

I'm preparing a shadow box for my boyfriend but I'm not quite sure how to secure a couple of items. When his two dogs died, he got clay imprints of their paw done and he really cherishes them. I need a way to secure them in the box for hanging without causing damage to the clay should we take them out for whatever reason. Im not sure if theres any adhesives that will safely come off of clay, but still hold firm. Any ideas? Pleeease?

Thanks in advance!

What I would do is make plaster casts of the clay imprints, because plaster is easier to work with for what you're talking about. Shouldn't affect the clay at all (you could test a small area just to be sure, or use the same kind of clay... if the clay has already been fired, just put a release agent on there and then wipe it off afterwards..actually you may want to put a release agent on it anyway just to ease the process). The problem, which I'm sure you're aware, is that not a lot of stuff sticks well to clay, and I can't think of anything that will stick and then release. So, you'd be stuck making some kind of fastening/support system for them which would be easy enough with L brackets or something, but if you just make a plaster negative and positive of the pieces, you can store the originals somewhere safe and not worry. Plus with plaster you can put drat near any adhesive on it and it will work fine, and it's cheap. If you google making plaster molds from a clay positive, you'll get several instructions on how to do it. Very easy. Have a look if it looks like something you'd be interested in you can post more questions here if you have them.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Does anyone have any experience with creating an online writing portfolio? Is it best to use a specific portfolio service like Contently of Writerfolio, or should I just buy my own domain and route it through Wordpress? How long should samples be? Should I put unpublished work in, like in a Google Docs link?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I've seen a bunch of animated GIF's, where the transition between frames is shown as a speed blur, like a camera rapidly panning to another part of the image. How is that done, and can I replicate something like that in Adobe Imageready 2.0?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
In Photoshop: Create a transition frame, then Filter > Blur > Motion Blur. Adjust angle and distance to taste.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Also Photoshop CS6 has some new After-Effects-like keyframe blurring features for the timeline. I dunno how they work, but it's worth checking for a tutorial on it if you have that version.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

pipes! posted:

In Photoshop: Create a transition frame, then Filter > Blur > Motion Blur. Adjust angle and distance to taste.

That was easy, thanks a lot!

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Do I need to do anything special to preserve a sanguine chalk drawing, or can I just put in in a frame? I'd like to avoid using fixatiff if I could.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I really need to update my online portfolio. I don't know how to design websites, but I do have my own domain + hosting plan.

What are some good portfolio solutions for someone in my position? I've been using staceyapp.com , but it's a bit of a pain to update.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

triplexpac posted:

I really need to update my online portfolio. I don't know how to design websites, but I do have my own domain + hosting plan.

What are some good portfolio solutions for someone in my position? I've been using staceyapp.com , but it's a bit of a pain to update.

What sort of portfolio?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Travakian posted:

What sort of portfolio?

Sorry you're right, I should have been more clear!

I do graphic design, so I basically just need something to show images of my print work. Really nothing elaborate is necessary, I'd just like something that is easy to update.

Something like this would be fine, I just don't want to pay for the 4ormat service since I already have my own domain & hosting:

http://electricbugle.4ormat.com/

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Sorry you're right, I should have been more clear!

I do graphic design, so I basically just need something to show images of my print work. Really nothing elaborate is necessary, I'd just like something that is easy to update.

Something like this would be fine, I just don't want to pay for the 4ormat service since I already have my own domain & hosting:

http://electricbugle.4ormat.com/

You can find/buy some pretty decent Wordpress themes that are made for portfolios. I had one made for my motion graphics portfolio as Wordpress offers one of the easiest backends out there as far as managing and updating content. If you have plat I can PM you my url so you can see how non-Wordpressy it can look with a good theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Travakian posted:

You can find/buy some pretty decent Wordpress themes that are made for portfolios. I had one made for my motion graphics portfolio as Wordpress offers one of the easiest backends out there as far as managing and updating content. If you have plat I can PM you my url so you can see how non-Wordpressy it can look with a good theme.

Sure, if you wouldn't mind PMing me that would be great.