Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
What's a good way to play the Volguard? I have him specc'd 6/6/6/0/6, orbs set for maximizing recharge speed, then follow the group around and charge to refill shields, or shield boost constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

1st AD posted:

What's a good way to play the Volguard? I have him specc'd 6/6/6/0/6, orbs set for maximizing recharge speed, then follow the group around and charge to refill shields, or shield boost constantly.

I don't understand how anyone can stomach using Shield Boost constantly. Two games of spamming it was the limit until I started to get a headache from the effect.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Moose12 posted:

What's the recommended build/weapons/play style for the turian ghost? I finally am getting characters I want in these reserves packs
6/4/6/6/4 Ghost Build

I run a Ghost with the Saber and it works extremely well all the way on Platinum. Harrier puts out more raw DPS, but the Saber's ammo efficiency and huge relative reserve helps with hit-and-run tactics and keeping you from getting caught out of ammo. I'm constantly out of assault rifle amps, so I use Targeting VIs, which works well with the Ghost and Saber. With any sort of ammo power (I use either Disruptor or Drill) you'll kill any mook in two or three cloaked headshots, which is easy to set up with Overload. Unshielded goons pop in one round, letting you set up big kill chains. The Saber tends to stagger, too, so if you whiff and hit the body, next headshot gets much easier. Large mag size synergizes well with Drill ammo, too, goes well with the Thermal Scope if you don't mind the reduced zoom. Acolyte rounds out the shield stripping and anti-Phantom duties. Triple chain overload mixed with another tech class makes for insane explosion output and crowd control.

Adrenaline modules make the jet pack dodges crazy fast, which can be interesting. Good alternative to cyclonic modules if you're running short.

40 Proof Listerine fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 24, 2012

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I noticed that there is a trend in random games where people playing turian ghosts will never cloak until they want to melee attack something. There must be some deeply evil person running around BSN extolling the virtues of the melee-turian infiltrator that avoids cloak or something, because once is a strangeness, but several over the course of a weekend is a plague.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Schubalts posted:

I do that all the time between rounds. Geth can't headbutt, what do you expect me to do, guys?!

Feather the B button. Geth Rave.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I typed "Geth Dubstep" into YouTube and found a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRjmIXNKreg

:lol: forever.

e: ahahaah oh my God there's so much of this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y_DZhcn8W0

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I tend to only find enemies dodging to be ridiculous if I'm playing on a laggy host.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Well, I beat the operation. After some hark work and great annoyance (after Rio and London were done, the damned Wave 10 Vancouver drone glitched and stopped moving), I am proud to say that I own... a Valkyrie III.

:negative:

Maybe I should try using this thing.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 24, 2012

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

BreakAtmo posted:

Well, I beat the operation. After some hark work and great annoyance (after Rio and London were done, the damned Wave 10 Vancouver drone glitched and stopped moving), I am proud to say that I own... a Valiant III.

:negative:

Maybe I should try using this thing.

It's pretty much the best sniper gun. Unless you don't like sniper guns which is understandable, but it's very powerful and forgiving.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

It's pretty much the best sniper gun. Unless you don't like sniper guns which is understandable, but it's very powerful and forgiving.

poo poo, sorry, I derped and confused everything starting with a Val. I meant Valkyrie III. Will now change.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Somebody please tell me I'm wrong about the Turian Saboeteur and there's a way to make him pro as hell cause all I'm getting from it is "Sabotage > Homing Grenades is an okay combo that's outdone by about a dozen other classes and Sentry Turret is total loving garbage."

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

No, that's pretty much the gist of the Turian Saboteur.

He's thoroughly mediocre, especially since BSN math dudes figured out that Sabotage's tech vulnerability doesn't affect Homing Grenades and that the Sentry Turret is affected by the -50 damage on Gold and Platinum armour, even with the AP evolution.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

1st AD posted:

I went full on glass cannon 6/6/6/6/0 with orbs set for cooldown speed and a fourth orb. Weapon damage and bonus power on charge and shield boost for full defensive shield boosting. Grab a hurricane, charge things, and spray bullets until you can charge again.

It's very much a knife's edge sorta playstyle, as any bit of lag will lead to your death.

But charging 5 times in a row is glorious.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I got sync-killed by a Phantom while playing Volus Engineer and my corpse bounced straight up and landed several feet away.

I can only assume it's because she spiked me like a football. The game is taunting me. :smith:

UnknownMercenary posted:

No, that's pretty much the gist of the Turian Saboteur.

He's thoroughly mediocre, especially since BSN math dudes figured out that Sabotage's tech vulnerability doesn't affect Homing Grenades and that the Sentry Turret is affected by the -50 damage on Gold and Platinum armour, even with the AP evolution.

Was worried about that. I understand the pressure of making a bunch of different classes and making them all unique but drat if it isn't like they barely tried making some of these competitive.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
On the other hand, maybe now that a new class has the lovely Turret, they'll actually buff it to a useable level.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
After spec'ing a Turian Havoc for gimmick rocket charge/melee damage, I really want a Turian Vanguard exactly like that but with shield recharge-on-charge. It was so fluid.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Eh, stimpacks are even better since you get a buttload of shields and extra damage.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Armiger Legion Turian Vanguard with Biotic Charge/Stim Packs/Shockwave. :flashfap:

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
The volus vanguard is an outright combat class. He can charge and shotgun as well as any other (if you play that way). I've tried him with a load of shotguns, and the claymore is a fun choice. I think the wraith or eviscerator are the best though.

It's also great to cloak with biotic orbs then charge into a fire explosion. Nothing else in the game looks like it. :stare:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

VJeff posted:

Armiger Legion Turian Vanguard with Biotic Charge/Stim Packs/Shockwave. :flashfap:

Biotic Charge/Stim Packs/Flare. :flashfap::flashfap::flashfap:

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Id like another human dlc that adds all the dumb armour sets. Collector armour soldier or reckoner armour vanguard would rule.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

BreakAtmo posted:

Biotic Charge/Stim Packs/Flare. :flashfap::flashfap::flashfap:

Hahaha, man, I can't wait until Flare makes it on to an MP class.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

VJeff posted:

Hahaha, man, I can't wait until Flare makes it on to an MP class.

What does Flare do?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Two Finger posted:

What does Flare do?

Kills all the things.

Seriously, it's just a giant fuckoff biotic explosion that nothing can dodge. It'll never be in MP because it's laughably overpowered.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

Houdini posted:

Id like another human dlc that adds all the dumb armour sets. Collector armour soldier or reckoner armour vanguard would rule.

Proest of the pro N7 dudes rock the pink Phoneix armor, FYI. :sax:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I don't think I've ever played a not-pink character.

But my GT is Herr Pink, so it works. Please feel free to add me, 360 goons, it'd be nice to play with fewer insane pubbies - though I've recently found that Platinum with pubbies is a LOT easier than Gold, because the only people that play Platinum are either good or are missile glitching... so you either get a fun game with a fat payout or a boring game with a fat payout, rather than Gold which is usually a tedious game of carrying a team of stubborn idiots that can't work together in order to get a moderately good payout.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

precision posted:

Kills all the things.

Seriously, it's just a giant fuckoff biotic explosion that nothing can dodge. It'll never be in MP because it's laughably overpowered.
It would be worth it just to laugh at how geth bombers mysteriously escape unscathed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FronzelNeekburm posted:

It would be worth it just to laugh at how geth bombers mysteriously escape unscathed.

Ugh. Don't remind me. Those fuckers still "dodge" Overload.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

precision posted:

Kills all the things.

It's not THAT overpowered - the drawback is supposed to be the cooldown period, which is longer than any other biotic power.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Flare

30sec base cooldown, 24sec at Level 2, 19.35sec if you take the Level 5 Improve Cooldown evolution. Maybe they could jack the base cooldown to 40sec or tone the power down a little.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

BreakAtmo posted:

It's not THAT overpowered - the drawback is supposed to be the cooldown period, which is longer than any other biotic power.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Flare

30sec base cooldown, 24sec at Level 2, 19.35sec if you take the Level 5 Improve Cooldown evolution. Maybe they could jack the base cooldown to 40sec or tone the power down a little.

Honestly, looking at those numbers, it doesn't even seem that impressive, let alone overpowered.
19.35 secs cooldown is crazy long for multiplayer, and 600 damage is pretty :geno: when stuff like Prox. Mine deals 800 or Recon Mine can instantly deal 1330 damage to everything in a similar radius.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
The Sentry Turret does not suck, at least not on the Quarian Engineer you just need to know how to use it.

You can spec it for shock and use it as a stun bomb, it will stun most non-boss enemies including Dragoons. Don't use the flamethrower it won't use the stun as often and the stun is way more important then the flamer.

The other way to use it is to spec it for shields/damage, ap ammo and rockets, throw the turret behind/next you or if possible somewhere up high and let be it fire support. If the turret is not on the front lines the enemies tend to ignore it in favor of going after you or your teammates letting the turret do its thing until an enemy wonders close it.

UnknownMercenary posted:

the Sentry Turret is affected by the -50 damage on Gold and Platinum armour, even with the AP evolution.
The gun does its full damage, all of it's other powers do suffer the penalty, that being said however the turret still does more damage to armor with the gun + plus the rockets then with the gun by itself so it's still a good idea to take the rockets.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Burning Mustache posted:

Honestly, looking at those numbers, it doesn't even seem that impressive, let alone overpowered.
19.35 secs cooldown is crazy long for multiplayer, and 600 damage is pretty :geno: when stuff like Prox. Mine deals 800 or Recon Mine can instantly deal 1330 damage to everything in a similar radius.

True. Also, precision, Flare isn't an Overload-style hitscan power, that's only when Aria does it. When Shepard uses it it's a projectile. So that's another strike against it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BreakAtmo posted:

True. Also, precision, Flare isn't an Overload-style hitscan power, that's only when Aria does it. When Shepard uses it it's a projectile. So that's another strike against it.

Yeah, I just now read through it because I haven't actually used it on Shepard yet. It does seem like it wouldn't be unbalanced in multiplayer after all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It seems like Flare would kind of suck with that long cooldown, a 600 damage AOE is about what an exploding combat drone does.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Flare would be nice for those morons who pick a powers class to just run and gun with. At least then the really long cooldown would give them an excuse to almost never use their powers.

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.

Alteisen posted:

Sorry Tyrel, lost connection to EA's lovely rear end servers and my friends list won't load.

gently caress Origin, what a horrendous piece of poo poo program.

It was kind of funny because the game started to glitch out, but not completely. It said that you had gone offline, but your character was still running into a wall for about 30 seconds and enemies were still sometimes moving around. Usually with a disconnect like that everything just remains static except for me, but not this time.

Origin is just the gift that keeps on giving!

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

So last night I finally got to try out the asari huntress infiltrator. I specced everything for maximum power damage. Result: God drat. She gets killed easily, but a cloak + dark channel will drop banshee barriers in a few seconds without even firing a gun. I've never had such an easy time soloing after everyone else got killed - just cloak, DC, run away, repeat.

Also,

:toot:

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 24, 2012

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Burning Mustache posted:

The cooldown is much shorter for Shepard, but even so it's apparently still 5.95 seconds if you take all the recharge speed options.

At any rate, with a base damage of 400 and 6m radius, flare is like a pre-buff lift grenade (450, 5m radius), though flare can detonate BEs on all defences, so that's a plus. Powers with similar base damage include biotic charge (400) and carnage (350).

That said, I think flare would be fun.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Burning Mustache posted:

One thing you should keep in mind is that single player is much easier than multiplayer, so something that is overpowered in that setting may not necessarily be overpowered in singleplayer. Enemies have less HP/shields/armor and appear in far fewer numbers. The "hardest" fights in Omega have a single Atlas and you're provided with rocket launchers to help deal with it, you only fight a couple of Phantoms during the entire thing, etc. Also Aria's passive with all of the power damage evolutions can give her a 140% power damage boost. The devs said they realized that they made Aria too powerful and tried to rebalance things to not make it so easy, making her Flare cooldown super long was probably one of those measures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Moose12 posted:

What's the recommended build/weapons/play style for the turian ghost? I finally am getting characters I want in these reserves packs

I have my Turian Ghost specced for 5/6/4/6/5, works pretty well. Have Stimpacks set for Max Shields and Pack Capacity, and it's like you have three extra Ops Survival Packs, only these you can get more of at ammo crates. Overload will deal with anything's shields and barriers, and then you can do a quick cloak and strike to take them out. I have him specced for Damage and Stability, and Cloak isn't given enough points for the assault rifle bonus, so I run Hurricane and Reegar Carbine instead of Harrier. Usually the Hurricane is so crazy good that I only end up switching to the Reegar when I'm run out of clips.

• Locked thread