Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

Fall of the Samurai worth picking up? On sale from steam. Any mods that are worth picking up or even necessary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

kiresays posted:

Fall of the Samurai worth picking up? On sale from steam. Any mods that are worth picking up or even necessary?

It's fun. The Radious Naval Mod is good. Probably necessary to keep sea battles from being super-frustrating.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Rabhadh posted:

Yeah troops have always been taken from settlement populations until Empire.

False. Not with Medieval, and not with Medieval 2.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Bloodly posted:

False. With certain Medieval 2 mods they have. (because I can't remember the last time I played unmodded Medieval 2)

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Bloodly posted:

I definitely remember having problems recruiting garrison troops out of provinces I'd burnt to the ground. 'Course, pop growth is exponential and by about mid game burning a city still leaves enough of a buffer that it's never really an issue. Can be problematic if a city swaps hands a buncha times, but apart from that it disappears as a limitation really quickly.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

the JJ posted:

I definitely remember having problems recruiting garrison troops out of provinces I'd burnt to the ground. 'Course, pop growth is exponential and by about mid game burning a city still leaves enough of a buffer that it's never really an issue. Can be problematic if a city swaps hands a buncha times, but apart from that it disappears as a limitation really quickly.

Ah, I can answer this one. In Medieval 2, recruitment DIDN'T draw directly from the population (as far as I can recall), but it DID draw from a recruitment pool of units which replenished over time based on how many buildings of the appropriate type you had - higher level barracks, for instance, would place more and more spearmen in your pool and make them replenish faster. That's why burning cities to the ground and destroying all their advanced troop recruitment buildings made it hard to recruit garrison troops.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I remember building hordes of peasants in Rome 1 and then disbanding them all in one city so it would have the population to upgrade early.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

kiresays posted:

I posted a big rear end amount of Fall Mods around 10 pages back in the thread. I do back up the suggestion for Radious, as well as picking up the Artillery expansion mod.

Make sure you read the instructions for that in the Work Shop as adding new units to Fall introduces a sound bug. But some guy has made a mod to fix that already.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Man I had forgotten about the insanity of politics in Medieval II. I'm using Stainless Steel and playing as Venice. It's about 30 turns in and I'm doing fairly decent seeing as I haven't played it in several years. Then within a couple of turns the following happens: my cardinal dies and is replaced by a priest from a faction who hates me, the pope dies and is replaced by cardinal from a faction who hates me, the new Pope excommunicates me before he even puts on his big hat, the Papal States and HRE declare war on me, and my entire original royal family gets wiped out in one turn (I still have an adopted guy as regent). gently caress. :suicide:

Edit: Oh and I've been at war the the Byzantine Empire since about forever too, so I've got hordes from the two biggest factions on either side about to give me a good, hard dicking.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Don't forget the ever-popular M2 declaration of war when your decade-long ally sends a lone galley to blockade your port just for the gently caress of it

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012

Xenoborg posted:

I remember building hordes of peasants in Rome 1 and then disbanding them all in one city so it would have the population to upgrade early.

To add on to this, I remember playing RTW and building full stacks of peasants before shipping them over to Egypt to act as chariot fodder before engaging with my real army.

gently caress chariots so much.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So it's been awhile since I've played Rome Total War, but is Rome Total Realism still the gold standard for mods for that game? I see 2 versions now RTR Platinum/6 and RTR VII, which one of these is preferable? I've also not tried Europa Barbarorum is it any good?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Europa Barbarorum kinda unseated RTR as the king "realistic" mod, but it's been so long since I've played either I don't remember why

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Bolow posted:

So it's been awhile since I've played Rome Total War, but is Rome Total Realism still the gold standard for mods for that game? I see 2 versions now RTR Platinum/6 and RTR VII, which one of these is preferable? I've also not tried Europa Barbarorum is it any good?

I had a whim to play Rome Total War today so I installed it on steam, along with RTR plat and I get CTD everytime I try to start a campaign. Any suggestions on this?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Bolow posted:

RTR platinum 6 is the stable, standard form of RTR. 7 is a new version they're working on with a custom, smaller map and focused AI. EB is the other go to realism mod. I prefer EB over RTR 6 just a little, but I've played both and they're both fine. Never tried 7.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Vengarr posted:

It's fun. The Radious Naval Mod is good. Probably necessary to keep sea battles from being super-frustrating.

It's less about making them less frustrating and more about making them last longer. FOTS ships caught fire way too easy and surrendered far too quickly when on fire, and using explosive rounds was an "I WIN" button since they caused fire. Now battles last a decent length and you have to do more then line your ships up and switch to explosive rounds. Unless you have the Warrior-class ships, because holy gently caress they pack a lot of guns :black101:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Has anybody tried the Saints and Heroes pack for Shogun 2? How does it work exactly; I assume you can get the units in the campaign map and not just multiplayer, but how?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Koramei posted:

Has anybody tried the Saints and Heroes pack for Shogun 2? How does it work exactly; I assume you can get the units in the campaign map and not just multiplayer, but how?

They show up in the tech descriptions, typically at the same rank as the highest building for their base unit type iirc. Building dependencies are listed in the encyclopedia. They're treated more or less the same as the standard katana/yari/bow heroes.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
I just tried Fall of the Samurai and it seems like the hardest part is your allies conquering every opposing clan in the area before you possibly can. Come on guys, save some land for me, I just fought 2400 guys on my border and then in the same turn Jozai swooped in and took the presumably empty city.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Electric Pope posted:

I just tried Fall of the Samurai and it seems like the hardest part is your allies conquering every opposing clan in the area before you possibly can. Come on guys, save some land for me, I just fought 2400 guys on my border and then in the same turn Jozai swooped in and took the presumably empty city.

Well, if you want to expand without the trouble of going to war with your allies just use a Ishishin/Shensungumi Agent and rouse up some Rebels.

Then 'liberate' said province with an army. It pretty much is the only with with the Saga Clan because by the time you get Tsushima those Satsuma jerks are all over the place.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well, if you want to expand without the trouble of going to war with your allies just use a Ishishin/Shensungumi Agent and rouse up some Rebels.

Then 'liberate' said province with an army. It pretty much is the only with with the Saga Clan because by the time you get Tsushima those Satsuma jerks are all over the place.

Or go Republican :black101:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Firos posted:

Or go Republican :black101:

I got questions about that as I have never tried it, do you lose all your generals too with your Imperial/Shogunate armies?

Do the armies all instantly disband or turn Rebel?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

SeanBeansShako posted:

I got questions about that as I have never tried it, do you lose all your generals too with your Imperial/Shogunate armies?

They don't disband wholly or turn rebel, but any Imperial/Shogunate troops you have do instantly disband, so if your armies are made up of Imperial Infantry like mine were, suddenly you lost virtually all of your soldiers.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, literally everyone declares war on you forever, including newly-established vassals, so you'd better not have been relying on trade income. Republicanism is haaaaaard.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Sounds like CA is in love with the idea of hiding their questionable AI behind semi-scripted "Everyone hates you now!" events. First they gave us Realm Divide, now the Republic thing.

Don't get me wrong, I see the need for stuff like that in order to make the mid- to end-game a challenge but still... I really really hope Rome 2 will have a more reasonable AI.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Sounds like CA is in love with the idea of hiding their questionable AI behind semi-scripted "Everyone hates you now!" events. First they gave us Realm Divide, now the Republic thing.

Don't get me wrong, I see the need for stuff like that in order to make the mid- to end-game a challenge but still... I really really hope Rome 2 will have a more reasonable AI.

The Republic is a self choice hard mode, you go into it fully knowing what it's going to be. If you don't like everyone hates you forever, don't go republic.

Considering the previous options were drudge your way through tiny empires that posed no threat or fighting a unified threat, Realm Divide really is the better option (although the was Fall and Rise do it is more palatable than vanilla). People complained because it was a bit gamey, but also because it turned out to be hard when they were used to the total cakewalk of being a major power in earlier Total War games. It's an iterative step forward and I would be sorry to see it go. That's not to say it's perfect, but they are moving in the right direction.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The trick to The Republic choice is not to fill your armies out with Imperial/Shogunate infantry (obvious) but also to remember not to upgrade your police stations to the point where they start spreading faction specific influence - you'll need to retool them.

Also note that your income will vanish and your taxes will need to be dropped in order to account for the fact that you are building faction support from nothing in every province. So build up a small warchest in advance and be prepared to spend a few turns just consolidating.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

The worst is when you forget about that one-province faction in the heart of your empire that just starts flinging doom-stacks everywhere. I've killed 3 stacks from this tiny province now kindly gently caress off :argh:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh goody, ModDB just gave DarthMod a big 'ole award and thus no doubt stroked his already over inflated ego.

Please god with 2013 can this gaming community get some other guys to do a million times better with this mod kit and shut him up for good. Please!

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

shalcar posted:

The Republic is a self choice hard mode, you go into it fully knowing what it's going to be. If you don't like everyone hates you forever, don't go republic.

Considering the previous options were drudge your way through tiny empires that posed no threat or fighting a unified threat, Realm Divide really is the better option (although the was Fall and Rise do it is more palatable than vanilla). People complained because it was a bit gamey, but also because it turned out to be hard when they were used to the total cakewalk of being a major power in earlier Total War games. It's an iterative step forward and I would be sorry to see it go. That's not to say it's perfect, but they are moving in the right direction.

I am one of those people that agrees with the general idea of realm divide but thinks it needs a lot of work as a concept. The good news is as you say it gets better with each iteration so the prognosis looks good for the future.

Also one big problem with it is that when you go all out war with everyone the bullshit parts of the game which are no fun (for example Naval combat) become multiplied as well, I enjoy fighting overwhelming odds land battles, but I really hate the tedium of hunting down 100s of single gunboats blockading your ports.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shorter Than Some posted:

I am one of those people that agrees with the general idea of realm divide but thinks it needs a lot of work as a concept. The good news is as you say it gets better with each iteration so the prognosis looks good for the future.

Also one big problem with it is that when you go all out war with everyone the bullshit parts of the game which are no fun (for example Naval combat) become multiplied as well, I enjoy fighting overwhelming odds land battles, but I really hate the tedium of hunting down 100s of single gunboats blockading your ports.

CA have said that one of the objectives of Rome 2 is to try to get rid of 'chaff clearing' and focus the game on large battles.

Also Rome has the Civil War.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Alchenar posted:

CA have said that one of the objectives of Rome 2 is to try to get rid of 'chaff clearing' and focus the game on large battles.

Also Rome has the Civil War.

I hope they also force the AI to keep their armies in the field, maybe have a mechanic where keeping armies inside cities incurs a penalty, because in almost all of the campaigns I've had it devolves into siege after siege because no enemy will take to the field :argh:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

MadJackMcJack posted:

I hope they also force the AI to keep their armies in the field, maybe have a mechanic where keeping armies inside cities incurs a penalty, because in almost all of the campaigns I've had it devolves into siege after siege because no enemy will take to the field :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IO-CooA4_Y

You can also just starve the defenders out and force a battle.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 26, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I wouldn't mind it if they didn't do it as much, or tried to force you out to a direct confrontation.

Sieges in Fall Of The Samurai are horribly bloody by the way. Even with a really good army and artillery battery.

Got to give them points of designing the forts to be the perfect tiring morale sapping death traps.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
FoTS is the exception; it's at the start of more modernized warfare, where everything changes.

I don't think prevalence of sieges are an issue in the games; it makes sense, both gameplay wise and historically, and if you really don't want to assault any holdings you can force a battle by starving them out. In the more recent games the sorties have been actual battles too, not just the defenders scrambling out of their gate to attack.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Maybe they should've made sieges a multi-stage affair then. If you are the besieger, then losing your first siege assault doesn't result in your army being routed and the siege being lifted, but it just means you didn't get in this time, you can retire to lick your wounds, the city is still besieged, and you can come back next season. If you are the besieged then you can sortie out and take out some equipment or whatever, maybe even lift the siege if you do well enough.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Koramei posted:

You can also just starve the defenders out and force a battle.

The downside to that was that it meant you had to wait 3-8 turns for a battle. Hell, I used to hope for enemy reinforcements so I could at least get my field battle that way. Otherwise it's a long wait for the same result.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Sieges in Fall Of The Samurai are horribly bloody by the way. Even with a really good army and artillery battery.

Got to give them points of designing the forts to be the perfect tiring morale sapping death traps.

FOTS sieges weren't so bad since you could take a shitload of artillery and katana units, pound the walls and gates flat then flood the battered enemy with troops that could kick their arse in melee. And if a fleet was nearby the enemy would usually break before that. Not useful in the field, but that wasn't an issue.

I've fanboyed the Roma Surrectum II mod a few times in this thread and probably the biggest reason I love it above all other mods is the fact that the huge number of units kicking around the map means the AI is far more willing to meet in open battle. That and multi-stack battles that my PC can run with ease :black101:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I maintain that FOTS combat is absolutely terrible because the lethality of modern artillery means that there's virtually no method to the combat at all - just point and shoot your guns and watch the enemy disintegrate. That goes doubly so for the naval combat which is a massive regression from Empire/Napoleon in that the side with the better shell technology just wins.

The game really is just a warning that you can't take Total War style tactical gameplay past 1860 because it doesn't work anymore. Which, surprise surprise, is exactly the lesson everyone takes from the US Civil War.

e: Seriously, I'm replaying Napoleon now. The Strategic map is a minor step backwards, but naval battles that involve actual manoeuvring with the wind and prolonged exchange of broadsides and land battles with the much lower lethality of musket and solid shot fire are so much more engaging.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 24, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Alchenar posted:

I maintain that FOTS combat is absolutely terrible because the lethality of modern artillery means that there's virtually no method to the combat at all - just point and shoot your guns and watch the enemy disintegrate. That goes doubly so for the naval combat which is a massive regression from Empire/Napoleon in that the side with the better shell technology just wins.

The game really is just a warning that you can't take Total War style tactical gameplay past 1860 because it doesn't work anymore. Which, surprise surprise, is exactly the lesson everyone takes from the US Civil War.

e: Seriously, I'm replaying Napoleon now. The Strategic map is a minor step backwards, but naval battles that involve actual manoeuvring with the wind and prolonged exchange of broadsides and land battles with the much lower lethality of musket and solid shot fire are so much more engaging.

This is why the Artillery expansion mod for Fall is essential and should be made actual content from the Workshop.

The higher tier more modern artillery really do make mince meat out of everything and you'll only need one Armstrong Gun and two Parrot guns and by the time the enemy army barely gets across the field you've killed half of them with explosives.

With said mod you and the AI are limited to practical older late Napoleonic smoothbores for the first half of the game.

Another thing about FOTS, it seems the Naval AI seems bugged because the enemy ships or fleets just sit there and lamely try and shoot at you when you get in range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

SeanBeansShako posted:

This is why the Artillery expansion mod for Fall is essential and should be made actual content from the Workshop.

The 3 versions of that seem a bit confusing, or maybe I'm just dumb, but anyway which one would you suggest using?