Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

darkwolf220 posted:

A customer at work attempted to sever my finger today with a kitchen knife :( It isn't too too bad, but if it sucks at healing, better push that 3 hr break to a 4 hr one lol.

That's a real bummer. I hoped you kicked them out of the store! Also, I've decided I'm going to try to complete Black Diamond (the base at least) I've got a pretty good start. Any advice on the best way to go about doing this? I like opening the packs, but this could be expensive when I get toward the end. Also I was wondering since my collection is meager, if I could pay extra for the base cards we get in this break? (If no one else wants them and there are no plans for them already) No need to sort them or anything, I'd gladly do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

anotherblownsave posted:

That's a real bummer. I hoped you kicked them out of the store! Also, I've decided I'm going to try to complete Black Diamond (the base at least) I've got a pretty good start. Any advice on the best way to go about doing this? I like opening the packs, but this could be expensive when I get toward the end. Also I was wondering since my collection is meager, if I could pay extra for the base cards we get in this break? (If no one else wants them and there are no plans for them already) No need to sort them or anything, I'd gladly do that.

If your in the states wolf might be able to do it. I know it's expensive to ship them.

You honestly might want to try and find people who break cases, and offer them a price for a complete set of base.

I know from our case we just did we got 6 minimum complete sets.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

anotherblownsave posted:

You won't get a BD set from me because we are breaking Contenders :) But if you or anyone wants a base set of Contenders, I can try to piece it together for you for some cost (idk depends on shipping and how much a bitch it is to put together, I did Pinnacle sets last year and it took me ~4 hours to piece together the sets.

If you want the base set for BD (single diamonds) you can probably get it in like, 1-2 boxes. Everything double diamond and up I would look to buy as singles afterwards because it stops being economical buying packs. If you reach for double/triple/quad base sets, it is going to be a pretty costly process, but is worth it in the end. I always feel good when I finish off a base set.

And no, we didnt kick her out, I wrapped my finger in a paper towel, she was like 'oh... did i get you??' I gave her a terrible look, told a coworker to 'deal with this customer' and fled to the back to unleash a long string of expletives. By the time I came back out bandaged up 30 mins later, she was gone. No stitches, thankfully, but if the knife had hit at a different angle (this was just a glancing blow, but still cut pretty deep) it very well could have taken it off. :sigh:

Oh, I forgot option #3, and probably the cheapest. Ebay has BD base sets (single diamond) up for auction ending stupidly low. Like, under $10 low. Base cards don't really have much value. It is a nice way to get all the cards at low cost, but I usually do not do it because I like the collecting aspect of it and the ~allure~ of getting the chance at breaking something good. But if you are in a financial crunch, just buy the set on ebay and then focus on the doubles/triples/quads later.

darkwolf220 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 23, 2012

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

I know we're breaking contenders, but at this point I'll take whatever hockey cards I can get my hands on. I'm in the US, and as I said, no need to piece anything together unless you want to. I'd be happy with a ton of cards just tossed in a box. I'll either donate the doubles or give them to my buddy who is thinking of starting a collection of his own.
I've started my BD set in a binder, and single diamond I'm at like 50% completion. I'm going to try to get up through double diamond before giving up. (We'll see how far I make it) I'll start checking out ebay too. I saw last years set, at a comic shop for 35 bucks today(single diamond) I almost bought it.

You guys in this thread are awesome, and have been a huge help, and inspiration to my starting a collection. I lurked for quite a while, so pumped to be starting up now. Especially since there's no hockey on TV :( this is a nice distraction.

Surmy
May 25, 2010

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
As per my UD redemption status my 11-12 Ultimate Henrik Lundqvist dual patch/auto /10 will never be produced for whatever reason. They polled me for five players to replace it with. I gave them Claude Giroux, Ovie, Landy, Crosby and Gudbranson. Wonder which one of these I'll get cards of :). I'm thoroughly expecting to get screwed here since based on the sales of similar cards this is an 80-160$ card.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

I found packs of '96-'97 Donruss at a local drug store the other day for 99 cents. I didn't get anything good.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!

Quantrill posted:

I found packs of '96-'97 Donruss at a local drug store the other day for 99 cents. I didn't get anything good.

At least you didn't buy a whole box of it like I did one time... Same result for more money too :smith:

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Feeling good about Christmas! Found a Rundblad Prime Colors showcase patch /15 for bin of $25 and someone listed an R! I dropped a huge max bid on it then emailed the seller. Just bought it out now for $40, glad to not deal with this poo poo anymore!

Also got a box of Rookie Anthology in the mail from the in laws for christmas. My bonus pack had a Louis LeBlanc Luxury Suite rookie patch /99, woot!

Also, question for the breakers from the Pinnacle case, you guys got your poo poo, right? :ohdear:

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

darkwolf220 posted:

Also, question for the breakers from the Pinnacle case, you guys got your poo poo, right? :ohdear:

I got my stuff a while ago.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

darkwolf220 posted:

AboveAndBeyond posted:

oh and my cards came today~
I may as well come up to the breaks with how close communist kangaroo and I live. then again there is the ~online experience~

Gonna start asking for reserve on Doughty, Robitaille and Quick cards

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Gonna start asking for reserve on Doughty, Robitaille and Quick cards

As soon as my poo poo from CnC comes in the mail, I did get a ITG Decades Luc Robitaille 2clr rookie jersey gold /10 :)

Surmy
May 25, 2010

darkwolf220 posted:

Feeling good about Christmas! Found a Rundblad Prime Colors showcase patch /15 for bin of $25 and someone listed an R! I dropped a huge max bid on it then emailed the seller. Just bought it out now for $40, glad to not deal with this poo poo anymore!

Also got a box of Rookie Anthology in the mail from the in laws for christmas. My bonus pack had a Louis LeBlanc Luxury Suite rookie patch /99, woot!

Still nothing on this end. But based on other shipment timelines lately I'd guess i'll get it early in the new year. No worries.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Surmy posted:

Still nothing on this end. But based on other shipment timelines lately I'd guess i'll get it early in the new year. No worries.

I really, really, really hope you BiNed that Erik Gudbranson Score Black Ice I sent you a listing for because it will be months/years before you see another, if you do. The odds of pulling that particular card are 1:394560 packs. Not bad for a buy it now of $10. If you didn't get it, sorry man :( I considered just auto buying it myself but figured it wouldn't disappear that fast.

Surmy
May 25, 2010

darkwolf220 posted:

I really, really, really hope you BiNed that Erik Gudbranson Score Black Ice I sent you a listing for because it will be months/years before you see another, if you do. The odds of pulling that particular card are 1:394560 packs. Not bad for a buy it now of $10. If you didn't get it, sorry man :( I considered just auto buying it myself but figured it wouldn't disappear that fast.

Yeah, grabbed it. Was on my phone so did not get a chance to email you thanks. I just need an Akim Aliu Black Ice to show up....

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Wife got me an 11-12 Contenders NHL Ink of Ovechkin for the holidays. Really nice on card auto.

Also grabbed myself a rookie royalty auto of Marcus Johansson for super cheap, the auto is really rushed, you can tell he was in a hurry or tired, but it makes 5 autos of him for me now, if I'm not careful I'm going to get like Darkwolf is with Rundblad.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Surmy posted:

Yeah, grabbed it. Was on my phone so did not get a chance to email you thanks. I just need an Akim Aliu Black Ice to show up....

Whew, glad to hear that! If I spot an Aliu for that cheap, I am just going to buy it and work it out with you later, those cards are too loving rare to leave opportunity to get away.

Speaking of Aliu, Mike's BD half case break last Friday yielded one of his emerald rookie gems autos /10. LCBHBruin got it, he was not in the room for comments though. I have a pretty good trading relationship and know he does not collect Flames or Aliu so it can probably be traded for. He is a huge Kings fan fyi.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Gunjin posted:

Also grabbed myself a rookie royalty auto of Marcus Johansson for super cheap, the auto is really rushed, you can tell he was in a hurry or tired

The various sports collecting accounts I follow like to tweet really lovely autographs and football players are by far the worst. They've posted some rookie draft picks that write one goddamn letter.

Even Don Cherry did a YA KNOW SOMTIN DAT BUGS ME about how THESE KIDS can't even write their name anymore. Now BOBBY ORR, that's a signature (and for once, he's right)

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

ElwoodCuse posted:

The various sports collecting accounts I follow like to tweet really lovely autographs and football players are by far the worst. They've posted some rookie draft picks that write one goddamn letter.

Even Don Cherry did a YA KNOW SOMTIN DAT BUGS ME about how THESE KIDS can't even write their name anymore. Now BOBBY ORR, that's a signature (and for once, he's right)

Yeah, the better looking signatures are usually on the old guys, the best looking one in my collection is Rod Langway. Some of the younger guys are OK, Brooks Laich isn't too bad, but Johansson has a very lazy signature, as does Mike Green, and Dmitry Orlov's is really bad (even accounting for it being Cyrillic) it looks like a loving dollar sign and the OP logo followed by his number.

Gunjin fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 26, 2012

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

Bobby Orr has nothing on Johnny Bower :colbert:

And yeah, some people are lazy about their autos. David Rundblad is pretty terrible. Hey, but at least there is a new all time low that makes every other lazy auto seem not so bad. Not only does Devante Smith-Pelly only sign "DSP" he is too lazy for that and just rubber stamps his cards. Literally. Or who knows, maybe he pay some random neighborhood boy to run his stamp for him. :haw:

Surmy
May 25, 2010

darkwolf220 posted:

Bobby Orr has nothing on Johnny Bower :colbert:

And yeah, some people are lazy about their autos. David Rundblad is pretty terrible. Hey, but at least there is a new all time low that makes every other lazy auto seem not so bad. Not only does Devante Smith-Pelly only sign "DSP" he is too lazy for that and just rubber stamps his cards. Literally. Or who knows, maybe he pay some random neighborhood boy to run his stamp for him. :haw:

About the Aliu /10 there's one up for auction on ebay i'm going to try to snag if that falls through i'll try to get that one. Pisses me off 3 of those have come up but 0 of the Artifacts.

As far as autographs. I maintain Mike Foligno, Nick Foligno and Marcus Foligno have some of the best around. Look them up!

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Bought a box of Pinnacle 2011-12 with some of my Christmas money today. Had a couple good hits.

Milan Lucic Threads card 41/50, the back is a little scuffed and you can't read some of the words. I'm a little pissed about that.

I also landed a Pittsburgh Penguins Starting 6 75/199 Has Jordan Staal, James Neal, Brian Strait, Kris Letang, Evgeni Malkin, and Marc-Andre Fleury.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

anotherblownsave fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 26, 2012

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Contact Panini about the damaged Lucic, they may offer to help, or they may not. (Seriously customer service at UD and Panini is a crapshoot, sometimes you get great service and prompt help, some times it takes forever, and some times they just tell you to gently caress off)

http://www.paniniamerica.net/FAQ.cfm

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Gunjin posted:

Contact Panini about the damaged Lucic, they may offer to help, or they may not. (Seriously customer service at UD and Panini is a crapshoot, sometimes you get great service and prompt help, some times it takes forever, and some times they just tell you to gently caress off)

http://www.paniniamerica.net/FAQ.cfm

Will do! Thank you!

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Want this.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Quantrill posted:

Want this.

I'd be interested in trading or selling it. PM me if you're interested.

edit: So I'm trying to put through a request with Panini online, and I can't find set my card is in anywhere.

edit 2: Well, apparently they can't replace my Lucic card. gently caress. :(

anotherblownsave fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 26, 2012

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

anotherblownsave posted:

I'd be interested in trading or selling it. PM me if you're interested.

edit: So I'm trying to put through a request with Panini online, and I can't find set my card is in anywhere.

edit 2: Well, apparently they can't replace my Lucic card. gently caress. :(

That is.... odd. They usually can only not replace hard signed autographs, replacing jersey cards usually only require them to have the card mailed to them, they extract the jersey swatch and re-make the card. The process takes a few months but no reason they shouldnt be able to do it with a set less than a year old. Call their customer support (800) 852-8833 and get an operator on the line. Ask to be transfered to Rocio (Row-See-Oh) in replacements. She will be able to help you out. Worst case, they would send you a different card of similar rarity and value. Calling Panini is really the secret to getting your poo poo taken seriously. Rocio helped me get a full box of Crown Royale replaced as well as some compensation for my damaged Roy auto.

Also, Quantrill, I have the Prime version of that Pens card /50. Maybe if you open something nice in the break we can swap ;)

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

I did call Panini directly, the woman on the other end told me that since the card was over a year old they couldn't replace it. Even though I had no problem finding other cards in the same set on the list of things to choose from. So thats kind of infuriating. I'll try calling again tomorrow and asking for someone different. If Quantrill decides to take your prime version Darkwolf, I'm still going to look to sell mine. I saw one on ebay for 44.95, is that a fair price to ask for it if I list mine?

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Sorry for the double post, but now that the holidays are done with I am going to go ahead and open up for payments for the Contenders/Prime break :toot:

Most of you know what to do, but for the newbies in the room:

1: Send payment to my paypal account, shifterdarkwolf AT gmail DOT com, and please mark it as either a GIFT or PERSONAL PAYMENT OWED. I do not profit from these breaks and the margin of error between cost and shipping is razor thin, I can not afford to give Paypal 3%.

2: Post in this thread indicating that you paid.

3: If you have never been part of one of my breaks before, email me your forums name and the address you would like your cards shipped to. Use the same email address as above. Also please list your favorite hockey team/player as you will get something spiffy from me as a bonus for signing up for your first break :)

4: If you would like a base set of Contenders, I will put one together for you for an extra (shipping and headache) fee. Email me and we can work out the details. It is only 100 cards so it should not be all that bad.

I will post the actual date and time of the break once I receive my work schedule for the week of. Expect the time to be somewhere around 8pm EST. Also keep in mind that while I am accepting payment now, it is not DUE now. Take time to get it together as you need. It won't actually be due until the end of next week/early the week after. If problems arise, email me, we can work something out.

Thanks again for everyone making this happen, I enjoy doing these for everyone and would like to make sure everyone has a good time. If there are any problems or concerns at all, feel free to email me about it.

1 darkwolf PAID
2 Ashe
3 Another Blown Save PAID
4 surmy PAID
5 Sharp_Angus PAID
6 shyduck
7 Above & Beyond PAID
8 Communist Kangaroo PAID
9 Thompson PAID
10 QuantrilL PAID
*11 surmy PAID
*12 darkwolf PAID
*13 Torgo2727 PAID
*14 Frobocop PAID
*15 Antifreeze Head PAID

darkwolf220 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 5, 2013

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
The sports trading card companies have such poo poo customer service, if they couldn't replace the card they should have at least comped you a pack of a similar price point product, it's loving factory damaged.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

anotherblownsave posted:

I did call Panini directly, the woman on the other end told me that since the card was over a year old they couldn't replace it. Even though I had no problem finding other cards in the same set on the list of things to choose from. So thats kind of infuriating. I'll try calling again tomorrow and asking for someone different. If Quantrill decides to take your prime version Darkwolf, I'm still going to look to sell mine. I saw one on ebay for 44.95, is that a fair price to ask for it if I list mine?

I have that card in patch version, as well as a Timmy Thomas /15 auto/jersey from last years certified if it interests you ;)

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

anotherblownsave posted:

Keep after them and don't really take no for an answer. It really is a persistence game with them and the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Don't be afraid to ask to talk to so and so's manager bla bla. Worst case scenario, use the nuclear option ("I've had "other sports card companies" help me out in a similar situation and it was not a problem..."). But in this case, it should not have to go that far, just be sympathetic, you are new to the hobby, let them know that, because that is probably your #1 or #2 pull ever and it is "very disappointing" that it came out damaged. If they still gently caress around with you, I will replace it myself with another Pinnacle Threads prime /50. I don't have a Lucic though.

What you see there is a "buy it now or best offer". It is a common thing on ebay. Basically they will post it for sale at a higher than realistic price and then allow people to send in offers to buy it. It is a lot less risky than auctions. You can't really judge a card's actual value by that though, because as I said higher than realistic pricing. To find a more accurate price, change the filter to 'sold' listings to find out what people actually paid for it. In this case we have one at ~$10 and one at ~$15. That is probably a stronger indicator of how much the card is actually worth. And that is a pretty strong pull from a budget product like Pinnacle. Also, if I know Quantrill, he'll want both the normal and prime versions.

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
Hey Darkwolf - PayPal sent - let me know if there are any issues

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

Torgo2727 posted:

Hey Darkwolf - PayPal sent - let me know if there are any issues

Received, thanks!

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!
Payment sent!

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011
In a stl break tonight, me wolf and surmy all got top ten picks...
Lets see how the Flyers Edmonton Dallas ends up.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

You got a Lehtonen! but Surmy won the break with that Hartnell card.

Surmy
May 25, 2010

anotherblownsave posted:

You got a Lehtonen! but Surmy won the break with that Hartnell card.

Hartnell downnnnnnnn

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

I lost... gently caress #1

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

darkwolf220 posted:

I lost... gently caress #1

First box all Montreal. Second all Nashville.
That was a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Payment sent Darkwolf

• Locked thread