Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Skilleddk posted:

I'm not much into black metal, but I really love Deafheaven and most of Agalloch's stuff. Can anyone recommend some more bands in that direction?

Altar of Plagues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"
"Golden Age" by Burzum is called "Gullaldr" on my copy, if anyone got confused (I did).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
And if you like Wolves in the Throne Room, it's worth checking out the band that basically ripped their sound off of, Weakling.

(They rule, though the vocals are a bit odd)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

QPZIL posted:

And if you like Wolves in the Throne Room, it's worth checking out the band that basically ripped their sound off of, Weakling.

(They rule, though the vocals are a bit odd)

What the gently caress are you talking about? Weakling's album came out 4 years before WiiTR put out their first demo. Weakling is significantly better as well.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Oldstench posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? Weakling's album came out 4 years before WiiTR put out their first demo. Weakling is significantly better as well.

Sorry, there was a typo in my post... "And if you like Wolves in the Throne Room, it's worth checking out the band that they basically ripped their sound off of, Weakling."

i.e. yes, Weakling came first, and WitTR was highly influenced BY them.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Skilleddk posted:

I'm not much into black metal, but I really love Deafheaven and most of Agalloch's stuff. Can anyone recommend some more bands in that direction?

Gallowbraid: http://youtu.be/JBxO4aqPTAU

Woods of Desolation: http://youtu.be/k6GAtD6X4rY

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski
BANDCAMP FINDS!

Verwustung - Experimental/Atmospheric Black/Ambient Post-Rock... really depends on the song. On his facebook (yep, another one-man project), he mentions his album being released in a week is going to sound like early Swans mixed with atmospheric black metal.

When Woods Make Graves - Kinda like above, only it's more straight up dark ambient and atmospheric black metal.

Vemod - Yep, you guessed it, more atmospheric black metal.

Augure Funebre - French DSBM (wow, not quite atmospheric!). I actually need to listen to this band more, but I'm very much liking what I hear so far.

EDIT PART 1:

Skilleddk posted:

Alda
Aloeswood
The Great Old Ones (pre-production cus it's all youtube has!)
Lantlos
Mare Cognitum
Mgla
Midnight Odyssey
Nontinuum
Oak Pantheon
Petrychor
The Rain in Endless Fall
Vattnet Viskar
Velvet Cacoon's "Genevieve" album
Walknut
White Oak
Wilt

EDIT PART 2:

Looks like someone beat me to Vemod not too long ago!

Blue Wher fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 26, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Has anyone else heard the new Taake track floating around? It makes me excited to hear his 20th anniversary release in March.

http://m.soundcloud.com/taake-official/taake-et-pust-av-oeyne

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Has anyone else heard the new Taake track floating around? It makes me excited to hear his 20th anniversary release in March.

http://m.soundcloud.com/taake-official/taake-et-pust-av-oeyne

Thanks for bringing this to our (my) attention! Noregs Vaapen was excellent, I still play it quite regularly. I thought it was a lot better than the s/t.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

nomapple posted:

Thanks for bringing this to our (my) attention! Noregs Vaapen was excellent, I still play it quite regularly. I thought it was a lot better than the s/t.

Yeah it's pretty good. Nothing touches Nattestid ser porten vid though.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I actually prefer ...Bjoergvin... to Nattesid, but each to their own I guess. Also I am currently enjoying Ofermod's new release, Thaumiel.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

nomapple posted:

I actually prefer ...Bjoergvin... to Nattesid, but each to their own I guess. Also I am currently enjoying Ofermod's new release, Thaumiel.
I think Nattesid... is the stronger album overall, but Part V on Over Bjoergvin... has some of the best riffs they've written.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

nomapple posted:

Also I am currently enjoying Ofermod's new release, Thaumiel.

I still don't know what to make of it. I absolutely hated it on the first listen, mellowed towards it on subsequent revisits, but I don't think I'll ever understand why they re-recorded chained to redemption. It makes a comparison to the old sound inevitable, and that particular track comes from a demo that is unrivaled in their repertoire.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

I still don't know what to make of it. I absolutely hated it on the first listen, mellowed towards it on subsequent revisits, but I don't think I'll ever understand why they re-recorded chained to redemption. It makes a comparison to the old sound inevitable, and that particular track comes from a demo that is unrivaled in their repertoire.

First listen I really disliked tracks 3&4 but the whole thing sounds better each time I listen to it. I'm not actually familiar with the band's discography as a whole, but I will certainly go and check that demo out. As I understand it most people didn't like the album prior to their most recent release?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Tiamtu was terrible. Ofermod's entire existence is built around Mika's religious views and a sound that captivated an entire scene, and that sound is Mystérion Tés Anomias. Tiamtu is an album that didn't need to exist - it's songs that are half-way between MTA and the latest album in terms of death/black and it just doesn't work/deliver.

Ofermod along with Malign and Dissection are pretty much responsible for the existence of the (Swedish) Orthodox black metal movement.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

The Clit Avoider posted:

Tiamtu was terrible. Ofermod's entire existence is built around Mika's religious views and a sound that captivated an entire scene, and that sound is Mystérion Tés Anomias. Tiamtu is an album that didn't need to exist - it's songs that are half-way between MTA and the latest album in terms of death/black and it just doesn't work/deliver.

Thaumiel is essentially more of the same, only they felt the need to throw in a hilarious Swallow the Sun -esque girlfriend doom metal track.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Anyone else looking forward to the new Cultes des Ghoules? I've got a feeling it's going to be one of the top releases of 2013. Now if HH would just repress the Spectres... EP.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Anyone else looking forward to the new Cultes des Ghoules? I've got a feeling it's going to be one of the top releases of 2013. Now if HH would just repress the Spectres... EP.

What else is there to look forward to in 2013?

So far I am looking out for:
Dødsengel/Nightbringer split
Altar of Plagues
Celestial Bloodshed
Urfaust (even if it is a 1 sided 7" and a split with King Dude)
Darkthrone (not black metal anymore but should be mentioned anyway)
Panopticon/Vestiges split
Rotting Christ (yes, I like the new stuff)
Watain(?)

Also I know they're more death metal but I am seriously stoked for the new Antediluvian if the tapes that were distributed at NWN are half as good as people are saying.

e: I just listened to the samples for the Dødsengel/Nightbringer split and holy poo poo that was good.

nomapple fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 8, 2013

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

nomapple posted:

It looks like Fanisk might finally release Insularum this year - they've got a sample up on Soundcloud and everything.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

nomapple posted:

So far I am looking out for:
Celestial Bloodshed

Wait, what? Did they replace Torson or something? Cursed... is one of my all time favorites, so I'd be pretty stoked if that's the case.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

WatermelonGun posted:

Wait, what? Did they replace Torson or something? Cursed... is one of my all time favorites, so I'd be pretty stoked if that's the case.

It's gonna be their final release. This trailer was posted on youtube.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

nomapple posted:

Darkthrone (not black metal anymore but should be mentioned anyway)

Darkthrone is definitely still black metal, it's just venom black metal now.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

WatermelonGun posted:

His vocals are present for one track, and the rest is guest/session. The band is dead and this is its epitaph.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

nomapple posted:

Well, now I have the new Summoning to look forward to.

I'm also hoping that PdH finally releases Das Tor as well as the other LP versions that have been on the Kunsthall site as "future releases" forever.

New Darkspace would be killer...

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
2 new Celestial Bloodshed tracks have been uploaded here.

Also, I am listening to Dødsengel- Imperator now, and I regret sleeping on it for so long due to it's daunting runtime. It seems to be sold out everywhere but if anyone knows a distro carrying the 2CD, or has one to get rid of themselves, hit me up. They're going on Ebay for around £40 :(

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

nomapple posted:

It's gonna be their final release. This trailer was posted on youtube.

That trailer reminded me I am out of chocolate syrup.

I'm excited for some final material from these guys, but that first SoundCloud song you linked to is doing absolutely nothing for me. The second one is pretty boss though.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Oh cool a new Summoning album. Its about loving time too! Will still only be the 3rd full length in 12-13 years...

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.

Oldstench posted:

Well, now I have the new Summoning to look forward to.

I'm also hoping that PdH finally releases Das Tor as well as the other LP versions that have been on the Kunsthall site as "future releases" forever.

New Darkspace would be killer...

Oh hot drat a new Summoning, the band that got me into black metal that wasn't Bathory!

I've always been convinced that were Protector to somehow scramble up an orchestra, their music would be Real Good. Die Verbannten Kinder Evas (a Summoning side-project) showed a lot of talent, yet still hindered by crappy MIDI.

Or am I just picky?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They are the Lord of the Rings band, eh? I could have sworn they had a whole slew of albums.

edit:

code:
Upon the Viking Stallion	Demo	1993	  
Anno Mortiri Domini	Demo	1994	2 (56%)
Promo Tape	Demo	1994	  
The Urilia Text	Split	1994	  
Lugburz	Full-length	1995	7 (68%)
Minas Morgul	Demo	1995	  
Minas Morgul	Full-length	1995	7 (81%)
Dol Guldur	Full-length	1997	10 (81%)
Nightshade Forests	EP	1997	4 (96%)
Stronghold	Full-length	1999	8 (85%)
Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame	Full-length	2001	13 (83%)
Lost Tales	EP	2003	6 (79%)
Oath Bound	Full-length	2006	12 (82%)
Sounds of Middle-Earth	Boxed set	2007	1 (97%)

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

so i was pretty disappointed with Njiqahdda but idk why seeing as they are incredibly inconsistent anyway. It's actually better than I should have expected but it's certainly no yrg alms

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

They are the Lord of the Rings band, eh? I could have sworn they had a whole slew of albums.

edit:

code:
Upon the Viking Stallion	Demo	1993	  
Anno Mortiri Domini	Demo	1994	2 (56%)
Promo Tape	Demo	1994	  
The Urilia Text	Split	1994	  
Lugburz	Full-length	1995	7 (68%)
Minas Morgul	Demo	1995	  
Minas Morgul	Full-length	1995	7 (81%)
Dol Guldur	Full-length	1997	10 (81%)
Nightshade Forests	EP	1997	4 (96%)
Stronghold	Full-length	1999	8 (85%)
Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame	Full-length	2001	13 (83%)
Lost Tales	EP	2003	6 (79%)
Oath Bound	Full-length	2006	12 (82%)
Sounds of Middle-Earth	Boxed set	2007	1 (97%)

They do and they're all awesome. Lugburz is more trad-bm then the rest of their albums, but still quite good.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
Anyone who likes Keep of Kalessin's album Armada but is disappointed by the stuff they've put out lately should check out Nidingr. They've been around for ages and just released an album a couple months ago entitled Greatest of Deceivers. Excellent black/thrash with vocals that sound almost exactly like Trebon's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqURdlAAd8M

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
I recently got turned onto Aosoth. I guess I wouldn't call it an Antaeus side project, but they do share some (live and studio) members. I really like it, dark and atmospheric at times, while still retaining that "classic" raw sound.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

New PdH is finally available.
http://en.prophecy.de/paysage-d-hiver-das-tor.html

€11 for a tape plus shipping. I'm likely going to wait for the eventual A5 treatment.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Oldstench posted:

New PdH is finally available.
http://en.prophecy.de/paysage-d-hiver-das-tor.html

€11 for a tape plus shipping. I'm likely going to wait for the eventual A5 treatment.

*groan*

Cassette only releases annoy me. When you say A5 release do you mean a CD in an A5 booklet thing? Really looking forward to hearing this.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

nomapple posted:

*groan*

Cassette only releases annoy me. When you say A5 release do you mean a CD in an A5 booklet thing? Really looking forward to hearing this.
Yeah. Kuntshall is slowly re-releasing all PdH albums as A5 digibooks. You can get them in the US through Mercenary Musik.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Thanks for all recommendations guys, sorry it's a bit late. Also I'm seeing Deafheaven live in May, super hyped for it :allears:

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Well, Joel Grind's dirty blackened thrash 'n roll YELLOWGOAT Sessions has finally landed on Joel's Bandcamp page today for a mere $5 recommended donation. If your a fan of Joel's other stuff (i.e. Toxic Holocaust, War Ripper) or Bathory, Venom and Motörhead, your sure to dig this dose of evil. Enjoy!

YELLOWGOAT

You can also pre-order the limited (300) LP w/ bonus track and a T-shirt.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I wish you could get a credit towards the record/shirt package if you already bought the mp3 album. It's loving awesome but I don't know if I need to drop $40 total on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

I wish you could get a credit towards the record/shirt package if you already bought the mp3 album. It's loving awesome but I don't know if I need to drop $40 total on it.
Shoot him an email - he seems like a cool bloke (no idea if he has anything to do with LP/shirt package pricing).

New Darkthrone track up:
https://soundcloud.com/peaceville/darkthrone-leave-no-cross

e: gently caress yeah!