Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

FelchTragedy posted:

Let us spare a moment of thought for those other people. All around the globe at this time of year, unfotunates are having to play Monopoly with their families.
God help the ones who use the free parking rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It is truly amazing how Monopoly and similar games are played by anyone who isn't a literal child. I mean, there's tons of cool, light, mainstream party games like Scrabble, countless card games like Euchre, and a bunch of trivia-style games, so this isn't even a "those plebs just can't appreciate the two hours of strategic beauty that is Agricola" thing. I mean those games get played too, but I literally, LITERALLY (literally) don't see how someone can be familiar with those better options and still complain about how we haven't broken out the 20+ year old Monopoly board.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I taught my 70 year old parents both Carcassonne and Dominion yesterday. Carcassonne was definitely the smash hit of the day. We played the base set twice and then added in Inns & Cathedrals for our last game. I was asked to bring it back on Sunday to play again!

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.
Yeah I think carcassonne is the best of the gateway games. Most people will spend time helping build a communal jigsaw. It's success is on that principle, plus it's no reading required on the board.

I think I may have to give everyone an even number of cloisters at the start of the game for their individual stacks.

FelchTragedy fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 26, 2012

AgentF
May 11, 2009

FelchTragedy posted:

Let us spare a moment of thought for those other people. All around the globe at this time of year, unfotunates are having to play Monopoly with their families. Let us all bow our heads for a second and wish them fortitude.

I played Dixit with my family at Christmas and everyone loved it. I introduced it as a guessing game and taught the rules over the course of the first round. Everyone was surprisingly fine with coming up with vague clues for their cards. The game went amazingly well.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Implementor posted:

We played Archipelago with 3p using the short game-length cards. With this set up, it felt like the game ended just as things were picking up--we all agreed that playing with 4-5 players and medium-length cards would probably be a better experience. There's a really interesting mix of cooperation with chances for dick moves. Can't wait to really dig into this one since it feels like there was a lot of strategy to uncover. My only minor criticism so far is that the red crisis cards (which are resolved immediately during the evolution card phase) seem to interrupt the flow of the game a little too frequently. Overall seems really cool, and the components are beautiful.
my haul:
Archipelago
Catan Geographies: Germany

Played 1.5 short games of Archipelago, just 2p since my bro-in-law is into games too. It seems fun, and once learned it flows fairly easily. I agree that the short endpoints seemed to end right as things were getting going, but I'm really looking forward to medium-long with 4 players. The game is really well designed in terms of the box holding components, and the components having useful information on them so you don't have to refer to the rules for any tables. The theme and the rules go together well.

For Catan... I already have Catan. I doubt its worth having a 2nd version (I don't like to hoard or collect) for whatever mechanics they've added. So I'm not sure what I want to do with it. Are there charities that need board games?

modig fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 26, 2012

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
Well, I got Bananagrams for Christmas. That's more than I was expecting.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Food Court Druid posted:

Well, I got Bananagrams for Christmas. That's more than I was expecting.

Luckiest dude in the thread. That game rocks.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
I went a bit nuts and got myself some presents. I won't have any time to play them until January...

Descent 2nd Edition (with the expansion and conversion kit)
Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients
Summoner Wars Master Set
Mage Wars
Warhammer: Invasion
Android: Netrunner
Citadels (finally)
Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery
Lords of Waterdeep

Wizards and Robots, as far as the eye can see.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I got King of Tokyo and X-Wing.
Only played them a bit so far, but I'm really liking both of them a lot!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Got my parents Dominion, things seemed to click towards the end of our first game and and by the end of our second one they were willing to sing its praises to the rest of our relatives :3:

One of the big things they liked was how quick the games were so I don't think I'll get them anything too grognardy, but I definitely have a few ideas for further gifts...

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

My holiday gifts to myself:
1989: Dawn of Freedom
Legends of Andor
Star Wars LCG Core Set
CO2
The Adventurers: Temple of Chac
Star Trek DBG: Original Series
Star Trek DBG: Next Phase
Clash of Cultures
Age of Steam
Die Vulgari Eloquentia
Bios Megafauna

...Why no, I don't have a problem, why do you ask?

The best part of the holidays came on Saturday. I took The Boss and Incan Gold to my parents' house, and played with the parents and brother. Brother's been asking about board games lately, but my parents have been staunch resistors.

Both games went over really well, and today my mother asked when I was bringing The Boss back around. Success! This is how it begins.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I got to play some Escape the Aliens From Out Space which was awesome until one of the other human players misunderstood when I told them that you had to state which of the escape hatches you were trying, no you can't lie about this. Also one of the Aliens tried to leave which was amusing in it's own right.

Then I got to play the christmas boardgame I got. The Walking Dead (the one based on the AMC tv show. It was not good, read the rules wrong for the first part and second game went just as bad as quick. One d6 with a plus 1 or 2 bonus at most makes it real loving hard to defeat the constant strength 10 zombie hoards.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I know there are a few hardcore wargamers who visit this thread. Can anyone tell me about Napoleon's Triumph. More specifically how it works with more than 2 players, and would you recommend it to be played with more than 2?

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Countblanc posted:

It is truly amazing how Monopoly and similar games are played by anyone who isn't a literal child. I mean, there's tons of cool, light, mainstream party games like Scrabble, countless card games like Euchre, and a bunch of trivia-style games, so this isn't even a "those plebs just can't appreciate the two hours of strategic beauty that is Agricola" thing. I mean those games get played too, but I literally, LITERALLY (literally) don't see how someone can be familiar with those better options and still complain about how we haven't broken out the 20+ year old Monopoly board.

I think so much time elapses between Monopoly games that people's memories get a little foggy (those who don't think about board games regularly in general), and the recollection of sheer boredom isn't so vivid. And there's some cognitive dissonance: why is it a classic pastime if nobody has fun? That can't be right, can it?

They love the idea of making these elaborate trade contracts to outsmart the other players. Okay maybe last time they played, nothing like that happened at all and it was a little bland, but that must have just been a fluke, right? Anyway they're a little older and wiser than last time; it'll be different.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 26, 2012

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

FelchTragedy posted:

Let us spare a moment of thought for those other people. All around the globe at this time of year, unfotunates are having to play Monopoly with their families. Let us all bow our heads for a second and wish them fortitude.

I had to sit in silence while a young boy received a copy of Monopoly for Christmas. It was okay though, because this one had the SPEED DIE™ inside.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

dishwasherlove posted:

I know there are a few hardcore wargamers who visit this thread. Can anyone tell me about Napoleon's Triumph. More specifically how it works with more than 2 players, and would you recommend it to be played with more than 2?

Uh yes, yes there are. Tekopo and I really love the game (probably others too, but we're the vocal ones I guess).

The way it works with 2+ is as follows:

Two teams, each has a commander and an order of rank down
Commander assigns corps to subgenerals
On each turn, commander makes his move, then subgenerals make their moves until all corp commands are used or declined to be used (or max hit, for the allies)
At the start of each turn, the commander may send one message to his subgenerals (I think each? Or maybe just one per turn total) which will arrive at the start of the next turn, i.e. it takes time for couriers to travel. Messages can be <verb> <noun>, like "Attack Vandamme" or "Retreat" or "Flank North" or somesuch. Nothing else. No other talking/strategizing. It's meant to be kinda chaotic in a very wargaming orderly way.

Never fully played it myself, but certainly plan to someday! Incredible game 2-player, though, can't say enough good about it, really.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Kiranamos posted:

I had to sit in silence while a young boy received a copy of Monopoly for Christmas. It was okay though, because this one had the SPEED DIE™ inside.

My cousin who I constantly play games like Dominion, Netrunner, and Elder Sign with got a copy of Warcraft Monopoly for Christmas. I feel like I haven't done my job.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

McNerd posted:

Anyway they're a little older and wiser than last time; it'll be different.

I have quite literally never played Monopoly by the book, and I've always been curious what it's actually like to play the "right" way. (Quotes because I'm assuming responses will include "the right way is to not play at all.") Like, I've always played it without auctions, with Free Parking, etc. So I'll probably do that some time soonish, just for the experience, and then never play it again. I got the Deluxe version a few years ago for Christmas and it's been used all of once since.

eta:^^^^^^ There's no way in hell I'd ask for WoW Monopoly. I hate themed Monopoly just on principle. Of course, I've considered Starcraft Risk, but I have both the FFG Starcraft game and two different versions of Risk, so I think I have that particular itch pretty well scratched. I'm not paying that much for a game board with circles representing planets instead of amorphous blobs representing continents.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 26, 2012

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Auctions actually really help the game, but other than that it doesn't fix it much. Nothing will ever solve the problems of the game basically being over and then you have to play another couple of hours before it ends, or the problem of having two power blocs and it all coming down to who lands on the wrong property first.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Auctions can actually really REALLY accelerate the game because you are all buying property off-turn, increasing the rate at which safe (unpurchased) spaces disappear and decreasing the money on hand early on (which matters more with fewer safe spaces).

Definitely try it once; you will end up with more properties to trade away early, some of which you purchased at a deep discount. The auction minigame is also as exciting as any other auction game, so it livens up the beginning of the game.

homullus fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 26, 2012

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Thanks Silvergoose. I'll try and grab a copy in the post christmas sales. I see you can print the map for the previous game and play that with the Napoleon pieces as condoned by the designer which is awesome.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Managed to snag LoTR Cardgame: The Hobbit Expansion, 3 packs for Warhammer Invasion, some MtG cards, Mage Knight, and Rex. Not bad, not bad at all (especially since I couldn't afford them otherwise).

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Has anyone else played Village yet? My friend from Germany brought it over (his mom sent him the German version for Christmas) and we played it today after Christmas dinner. It's worker placement mainly, with the added mechanic that your workers eventually age and pass away. Pretty cool game, and a nice departure from all the Lords of Waterdeep I've been playing.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I wound up with:

Legendary, the Marvel deckbuilder
X-Wing x2 + an advanced Tie Fighter and Y-wing
Netrunner
Dixit: Journey

So far we've played about 7 games of Legendary and it's a really cool deckbuilder, but everything I've read about it being a bitch to clean up is true (though if everyone pitches in it isn't so bad). Netrunner is awesome and my brother and I were just getting into the deckbuilding, but I'm not sure how much it's going to hit the table back home since most of our game nights are 5 or so players.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I got Chaos in the Old World from my brother and his wife.

Now I just need to find a way to get them and my parents into playing a boardgame. Brother has some experience with carcasonne but hasn't much interest in other things, but I think I can make that work.

Then mom said that a goose board is wholesome family fun.

:negative:

I think I'd prefer monopoly.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Good luck, I found Chaos extremely difficult to teach, and I'm a great teacher (since I'm forced to always do it :argh:)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Are there any house rules or anything of the sort that make BatHotH more balanced? I got it as a gift, and while I do like the game, I'm also very aware of its flaws. Custom scenarios, house rules, certain ones to be mulliganed or ignored, common sense on that latter one?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

There is no balance to Betrayal. That's the charm I guess. Check the BGG files section for some haunt faqs, although the 2e rule book might already be updated.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

Kiranamos posted:

and I'm a great teacher (since I'm forced to always do it :argh:)

I feel your pain. If you go through the rules, people go "OH GOD YOU'RE TAKING SO LONG" but then if you try to teach as you play, and something happens that wasn't covered, they go "WELL I WISH I WOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT"

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I got a huge haul of games at Christmas; I honestly couldn't pick a favorite. Galaxy Truckers is awesome, but Elder Sign was real easy to teach to family, and my wife and I are already five or six games down in Takenoko, which is one of the prettiest games we own now and definitely has the best box inlay I've ever seen.

The only dud of all the games we've tried was Race for the Galaxy, which has an absolutely horrible rulebook to go by when you're trying to learn with family and have never even seen it played. We all gave up partway through the second round to play something that my wife or I had any idea how to play. That rule book absolutely sucks.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jabor posted:

Got my parents Dominion, things seemed to click towards the end of our first game and and by the end of our second one they were willing to sing its praises to the rest of our relatives :3:

One of the big things they liked was how quick the games were so I don't think I'll get them anything too grognardy, but I definitely have a few ideas for further gifts...
God bless your parents. There's no way I'd ever get mine to play Dominion; I might be able to get them to play the basic set easy enough, but as soon as I started switching out kingdom cards on them, they would bail.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Whalley posted:

I got a huge haul of games at Christmas; I honestly couldn't pick a favorite. Galaxy Truckers is awesome, but Elder Sign was real easy to teach to family, and my wife and I are already five or six games down in Takenoko, which is one of the prettiest games we own now and definitely has the best box inlay I've ever seen.

The only dud of all the games we've tried was Race for the Galaxy, which has an absolutely horrible rulebook to go by when you're trying to learn with family and have never even seen it played. We all gave up partway through the second round to play something that my wife or I had any idea how to play. That rule book absolutely sucks.

Yeah, Race is a game that you want to know how to play before the first time, but it really does work pretty well. Just have to explain all of the symbols, be ready to answer questions about "ohhh what does this symbol mean again?" for the first game, and then the second game everyone just plays. But, as I said, only if you know the rules already.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I played (lost) the introductory solo dungeon in Wrath Of Ashardalon. My perspective will probably change once I get a few more games under my belt, but it feels a little too fast-paced.

Having to end each turn on an unexplored edge or draw an Encounter means that more monsters are popping up than I can deal with, so I'm running more than fighting. Maybe there's a balance to be found by standing your ground to finish off enemies more often and taking the penalties. For now I feel more like Shaggy in Scooby-Doo than an adventurer.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I bought my brother and his wife Dixit and D&D: Castle Ravenloft because it was so cheap on amazon. I was hoping it'd prompt him to get Wrath of Ashardalon later as he really enjoys minis.

I ended up getting Power Grid and then bought Descent 2E, Dominant Species and The Resistance for myself.

Christmas day I got The Resistance out. The game was definitely not for my family...or at least not my mom as she was a spy that voted in favor of the resistance every turn (she's really old). At least I won at Balderdash.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 26, 2012

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Colon V posted:

Are there any house rules or anything of the sort that make BatHotH more balanced? I got it as a gift, and while I do like the game, I'm also very aware of its flaws. Custom scenarios, house rules, certain ones to be mulliganed or ignored, common sense on that latter one?

The main advice I have is, plan to play multiple games per session. This way you greatly increase your chances of getting at least one good game in. Personally I've had fun but I would feel like I'd totally wasted my time if I ever pulled the game out and played only one game and it was a bust.

You also might consider finding a new scenario (and hence a new traitor) if your chosen traitor is already only a few clicks away from death. For some scenarios it wouldn't matter, but other times it would. I guess the same might go if that character has tons of weaponry and great stats and everyone else is in the toilet, although I don't know: this situation might be imbalanced no matter who the traitor is.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Ramsus posted:

Christmas day I got The Resistance out. The game was definitely not for my family...or at least not my mom as she was a spy that voted in favor of the resistance very turn (she's really old).
Yeah, the unfortunate thing about social deduction games is that they really fall apart fast if players aren't invested in them, which can make them a liability in a lot of the situations where they should be most suited to play. I've played a lot of games of The Resistance that were more or less rendered pointless due to players voting randomly.

But then everyone claims they had fun and we play again for some reason, I guess because people don't understand how pointless it is. Two wrongs make a right, I suppose?

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Anyone got an opinion on Battle of Westeros? Seems pretty good, but I'd like ot know how complicated the game is for people who aren't wargamers.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I played (lost) the introductory solo dungeon in Wrath Of Ashardalon. My perspective will probably change once I get a few more games under my belt, but it feels a little too fast-paced.

Having to end each turn on an unexplored edge or draw an Encounter means that more monsters are popping up than I can deal with, so I'm running more than fighting. Maybe there's a balance to be found by standing your ground to finish off enemies more often and taking the penalties. For now I feel more like Shaggy in Scooby-Doo than an adventurer.
How many characters were you using? The game scales alright, but I think it's best with four.

And yeah, don't be afraid to take encounters if there are too many monsters built up on the current tiles. My group's usual strategy is to get 5 XP as quickly as possible so we can cancel the few really terrible encounters. Then we explore every turn possible, only stopping when there are too many monsters to deal with. We just beat the "Kill Ashardalon" quest a couple of weeks ago, so I'll probably pick up the Drizzt game sometime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Cool stuff inc is running an end of the year blowout sale right now. Their site stopped loading for me but if I remember correctly there were prices as follows:

Arkham Horror - $30
Chaos in the Old World - $30
Rex: Final days of an Empire - $28
Cosmic Encounter - $30

I don't know if their site is being hit with high traffic or what is going on, but now I have to order Rex and then of course I'll have to find a way to spend $100 for the free shipping.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 26, 2012

• Locked thread