Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

orenronen posted:

For example, if I tell her the lower part of my body got swollen by poison, and ask her to suck it out with her mouth...

Mother of God is that in the original Japanese script :stare:

Is Sonia's dialogue written that way to show that she's refined or rather that she has terrible Japanese? Those are some odd word choices she's exhibiting.

E:

orenronen posted:

Teruteru Hanamura: Super High-school Level Cook

Sonia Nevermind: Super High-school Level Princess

How do you not set yourself on fire everytime you cook with that hairstyle, predicting either he's lying about being a chef or he is going to be murdered/punished via fire.

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Bellmaker posted:

Well Hanamura can go straight to hell, he's worse than Yamada :catstare:

I have a feeling he's going to last as least as long as Yamada, too, but drat if they didn't make him a thousand times more loathsome off the bat. It's kind of interesting to see both characters have a more cartoonish look, as if they're supposed to be less than human in every respect.

I'm not sure what Hanamura's look is supposed to be reminiscent of, though.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Hahahaha okay Hanamura just came out of nowhere with that, kinda funny if you think about the topic of discussion before the update.
Poor guy will become the Yamada of this game for the thread I think.

And I don't really have anything to say about Sonia other than the fact she likes Japan makes think she will be one of those characters that will go crazy everytime something more japanese gets metioned or something.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Bellmaker posted:

Well Hanamura can go straight to hell, he's worse than Yamada :catstare:

On the other hand, Hanamura's into actual girls and not cartoon children. I'd say he's just a typical teenager.

E: Oh god, his most important person is his mom. I love this guy.

Bellmaker posted:

Sonia is gonna be the more interesting one, the question is if she's playing it straight by being so naive/lonely or if she is running a long con.

I think Sonia is literally playing a con. She even has the exact same head-tilt as Celes, I think, so she could conceivably be a Super High-school Level Con Artist. Though faking royal pedigree has got to be difficult.

E: Which is exactly why she's a Super High-school Level Con Artist.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 26, 2012

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Please tell me this creep dies first.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Wouldn't Sonia be ranked as a fairly low level princess (as far as princesses go)?

Seems more like "I am super high school level, this is what I do" rather than "I am super high school level at what I do, which is this."

Although I guess it's more about her being pretty and regal rather than being from a powerful country.

Powerfrog fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 26, 2012

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So her last name is Nevermind, and she comes from the country of Novoselic? One of the writers is definitely a Nirvana fan.

Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

orenronen posted:

For example, if I tell her the lower part of my body got swollen by poison, and ask her to suck it out with her mouth...

:gonk:

Teruteru Hanamura: Super High-school Level Sexual Predator

I don't really have anything to say about Sonia, other than the fact that when I read her dialogue, I hear Starfire from the Teen Titans cartoon.

Son Conan fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 26, 2012

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

orenronen posted:

Um, this may seem a measure impudent... but... if I may be perfectly honest, that I am here pleases me a little.
Eh? Happy...? What about?
I suppose that Hajime's reply should echo Sonia's statement; that "Happy" kinda comes out of nowhere.

Hanamura's pink nosebleed pleases me greatly for some reason :haw:

SystemLogoff posted:

I'm still sorry I made that first-post guess in the first LP. :ohdear: Sorry about the problems I caused.
You shouldn't be; after all, you had no idea that your joke about Junko's creepy smile is going to turn out like that.

I'm still in the middle of listening to the podcast, so I'll comment on it later.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

persistentminiboss posted:

Between that video and some comments in the retsutalk episode I'm really hoping this game doesn't put quite as much focus on the whole "anime girls in swimsuits at the beach" thing as I'm worrying its going to.

The impression I got talking to oren (in the podcast) is that there's some fanservice-y stuff, but if you give the game the benefit of the doubt, it gets better in how it treats the characters once you're past it.

DaveWoo posted:

So her last name is Nevermind, and she comes from the country of Novoselic? One of the writers is definitely a Nirvana fan.

I thought this in the first thread with "All All Apologies" being used as both a track and episode title.

Son Conan posted:

Teruteru Hanamura: Super High-school Level Sexual Predator

I kinda read him (right now) as more of a pathetic idiot. He just got lucky that Sonia's possibly even more naive herself.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Look at this face.

Seriously. Look how innocent this face is! Then out of nowhere

and

orenronen posted:

:gonk:

This character development sure is going places. While this guy seems horribly creepy, I'm interested to see where they got with this guy.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Is everybody with the name Hanamura some kind of pervert?

All I can hope for is that he turns out to be some kind of badass, because I think his character design is adorable.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

orenronen posted:

...And we will stop you if we see it. Forcibly.

You're good people, Nagito.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

orenronen posted:

I'm afraid that this is exactly what it sounds like. :gonk:

I thought he was sort of adorable and then he had to go and open his big mouth :v:

Son Conan posted:

I don't really have anything to say about Sonia, other than the fact that when I read her dialogue, I hear Starfire from the Teen Titans cartoon.

That's who I was thinking of! I was reading her dialogue and going "This reminds me of someone, but who?"

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I didn't realize it, but I hear Starfire too.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I remember during the cast reveal talking with a friend about how I hope he's a great character because his design is awesome, and look at that cool lil hat.

Go figure THIS is how he came out, Nevermind herself confuses me. Shouldn't someone be looking for her if she was a princess?

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Jesus Hanamura, you're making Yosuke Hanamura look like a saint and I've only seen one scene with you!

Sonia on the other hand I thought would be boring, but she's won me over with this pose.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Hanamura: Super High School Level Redditor. :gonk:

Nagito continues to get more and more suspicious with his lines, but I at least have to give him credit for threatening ultra-creep over there.

...And I certainly wasn't expecting a SHSL Princess in the cast, wondering what her deal is.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Hey, look on the bright side. At least now we have one character we won't mind dying.

Now watch him be one of the survivors just to spite us. :shepface:

SHSL Princess is kind of an odd ability to be accepted for, but we had a SHSL Heir last game, so whatever.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 26, 2012

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
He just seems like a bratty teenager, thinking everybody else is under him and naive. If anything, I'd expect him just to grow up by the end of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

legoman727 posted:

...And I certainly wasn't expecting a SHSL Princess in the cast, wondering what her deal is.

Considering last game we had a SHSL Heir, this isn't really out there.

Also there is like a 90% chance she's going to murder someone because loving seriously.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

CandyCrazy posted:

SHSL Princess is kind of an odd ability to be accepted for, but we had a SHSL Heir last game, so whatever.

Togami was already a major player in the business world, and had millions in assets he made himself. Maybe Miss SHSL Princess is also a SHSL Prime Minister or something. :v:

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
Now that you mention it, this time, we have at least three characters whose SHSL talent is being a descendant of a famous family. Both Kuzuryuu and Sonia kind of steal some spotlight from Togami, which makes me wonder even more about his return from the narrative point of view. I mean, Fukawa doesn't seem to have any competition so far, so bringing her back would make for a more varied roster of talents.

At least Sonia and Kuzuryuu don't resemble Togami at all. It also makes sense for Hope's Peak to teach many descendants of powerful families.

persistentminiboss
Feb 16, 2012
So while our Super High School Level Chef definitely stole the show this update in the "creepy" department with his poison-sucking talk, can I just take a moment to draw attention to the fact that although she's rather outwardly naive and innocent at the moment one of Sonia's listed interests is the the loving occult?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well that's a different character for FukuJun. It's kind of weird that he's using that particular voice for Hanamura though, the Lelouch one would actually fit the smug/condescending lines a lot better. Maybe the contrast is the point.

And oh joy, a Penguindrum AND Nirvana reference, all in one character!

I think we've found the two I'd least mind being rid of.

So while our Super High School Level Chef definitely stole the show this update in the "creepy" department with his poison-sucking talk, can I just take a moment to draw attention to the fact that although she's rather outwardly naive and innocent at the moment one of Sonia's listed interests is the the loving occult?

This is a stereotypical thing for anime high school girls to be into.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Who knew goons were so wholesome, I actually think Mr.Chef is hilarious, we need someone who's closer to an average perverted teen archetype then over the top anime archetype, no?

"Sex reference in my murder mystery game, how loathsome"

I still kinda wish we'd stop pondering on murders and punishments before the first happened but what can you do.

Luckily there aren't too many more characters to introduce.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oh good, the Chef does have some whites to his tiny eyes. I wasn't expecting him to be a lecherous type, though.

Princess? I figured from her western name that she was some kind of exchange student. But isn't that just another variation on SHSL Heir, like the SHSL Gangster is? SHSL Heir wasn't that interesting the first time either.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

So? For all we know that just means she's into crystal power and faith healing or whatever.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

I had to go back and check as I didn't believe you. Holy poo poo.

This is going to be an interesting character. I now feel it's unlikely she's a con-artist because what con-artist would openly state they're an occult worshipper while pretending to be a princess?

That's assuming the facts we know about their likes and dislikes are either common knowledge or they have confided in us to let us know.

E: Judging by goon responses, maybe the occult isn't a big deal? I dunno. I thought it was satanism and stuff.

Powerfrog fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 26, 2012

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Foodgoon is going to be great when we see him try to interact with some of the more aggressive characters. Sonia seems like a nice character to balance out some of the more intense ones, and Nagito is growing on me more and more. Between this and his wife comment towards Mahiru, I like his sense of humor and really want to see what his place is in the story.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
While Hanamura is almost certainly a creep, I think people are taking his line about the snake bite too seriously. It seems like he was just loving with Sonia and wanted to see how far he could push it until she caught on.

He just seems like an rear end in a top hat kid with some sexual frustration.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

orenronen posted:

Um, this may seem a measure impudent... but... if I may be perfectly honest, that I am here pleases me a little.
Did you accidentally leave out a word? It took me five reads to parse this sentence because of how stilted it is. "This may seem impudent that I am here pleases me." is what I whittled it down to, and it still barely makes sense.

orenronen posted:

In all likelihood, it's a black T-back. I'd like to hear your opinion.
This is a matter worthy of serious discussion.
This is a matter worthy of serious discussion! I'm wondering what the hell a T-back is. Does he mean a thong or g-string? Maybe I'm just not familiar with underwear terminology, but I only know "T-back" from watching Gaki No Tsukai, where I gleaned from the context that it meant "thong or some similar skimpy underwear" (er... because Yamazaki was in a thong at the time.) Does anyone call it a T-back in Westernlands? Am I being dumb?

I have so many questions about underwear, paging @Goons_TXT... :(

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Considering the thing he likes best is mummy I can see why.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Considering the thing he likes best is mummy I can see why.

Oh yeah, that part of his profile was definitely telling.

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008
If Game of Thrones has taught me anything, then a SHSL Princess WOULD be appearing naive and airheaded while actually conning and manipulating everyone.

edit:

VoidBurger posted:

Did you accidentally leave out a word? It took me five reads to parse this sentence because of how stilted it is. "This may seem impudent that I am here pleases me." is what I whittled it down to, and it still barely makes sense.

the "but" here is a bit important actually because it goes to "This may seem impudent, but that I am here pleases me." But that I am here, while sounding awkward in natural conversation, does make grammatical sense, and seeing as she is someone who at least appears to have been kept away from normal social interaction, and speaks with relatively flowery language, it works in my opinion.

Dr. Notadoctor fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 26, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

While Hanamura is almost certainly a creep, I think people are taking his line about the snake bite too seriously. It seems like he was just loving with Sonia and wanted to see how far he could push it until she caught on.

Agreed. I think he's just a blue comic relief type. I'm not too concerned.

VoidBurger posted:

This is a matter worthy of serious discussion! I'm wondering what the hell a T-back is. Does he mean a thong or g-string?

According to Google, he means thong, but I was confused too.

Also you can tell Nagito isn't Naegi because instead of "We will stop you. Forcibly," Naegi would've thought "Hmmm. Should I say something here? Oh, well. The opportunity's passed. Maybe next time."

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SectumSempra posted:

Who knew goons were so wholesome, I actually think Mr.Chef is hilarious, we need someone who's closer to an average perverted teen archetype then over the top anime archetype, no?

But this is the over the top anime archetype of the average perverted teenager, which is usually the most loathsome of character archetypes. The kind of character that considers peeping on girls to be the height of excitement because "boobs". That's an archetype that's rarely funny and often morally bankrupt and sexist.

But I did get a chuckle out of him trying to start a conversation around Pekoyama's thong, so v:v:v

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 26, 2012

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Powerfrog posted:

E: Judging by goon responses, maybe the occult isn't a big deal? I dunno. I thought it was satanism and stuff.

"Occult" covers everything from the person doing demonic summoning rituals to the kids playing with a ouija board.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

SingerOfW posted:

I suppose that Hajime's reply should echo Sonia's statement; that "Happy" kinda comes out of nowhere.

Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

slowbeef posted:

Agreed. I think he's just a blue comic relief type. I'm not too concerned.
So was ultragoon from the last LP, but ultragoon was actually funny. This is just frat boy creepy.

• Locked thread