Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

That is a great picture to show how blue shift and underwater filming works. Are you filming with the Red for a special reason or just to step up your work?

That's just a great shot period, in fact. Any more like this of what the rest of the photo taking diver looks like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

East gales to 35 kt. Wind waves 17 ft. Scattered showers.

Its time to DIVE

pupdive posted:

That's just a great shot period, in fact. Any more like this of what the rest of the photo taking diver looks like?

Photos of me? All the photos I show I have taken myself :)

Ohh and Merry Christmas you submerged bastards.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Merry Christmas!

My early Christmas gift from my dad (Aqualung Titan LX Regulator w/ octo) and from me (Suunto D4i) are sitting in my gear bag, waiting for either warmer climates or warmer weather to go diving

Because gently caress diving Ontario lakes in the winter.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

jackyl posted:

I'm assuming they were taking pictures of us too, but who knows since it was dark in the sub to let them see out.

I had one of these come up to a dive site I was on off of Guam. If you wave you can see the movement of everyone inside waving back!

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

MA-Horus posted:

Merry Christmas!

My early Christmas gift from my dad (Aqualung Titan LX Regulator w/ octo) and from me (Suunto D4i) are sitting in my gear bag, waiting for either warmer climates or warmer weather to go diving

Because gently caress diving Ontario lakes in the winter.

I just went for a dive in my pool in texas. Snowing and it was 44 degrees in the water. I felt like some sort of badass. Merry x-mas divers!

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Merry Christmas thread! Last Thursday I boarded a plane in 85 degree weather and got off in 25 degree weather. Needless to say I did not bring my dive gear with me.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Snow Diving: Discuss

Santa aint got poo poo on this.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

SlicerDicer posted:

Snow Diving: Discuss

Santa aint got poo poo on this.

Snow diving eh? Wake up, put on fleece/drysuit before i leave the house, don't take it off until i'm in the shower. Fleece and all. gently caress the cold.

Granted i'm in texas so i've got nothing on you northern folk, but my coldest has been 28 degrees outside and 44 in the water. I'm pretty sure i wore like 8 hand warmers in random pockets.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Getting my wisdom teeth out tomorrow. Would I be extremely foolish to try and dive on the 5th?

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

SlicerDicer posted:

Photos of me? All the photos I show I have taken myself :)

I mean that shot of what the diver sees and what the camera sees, and all that.

Pictures of UW photographers are rare and useful.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Crunkjuice posted:

Snow diving eh? Wake up, put on fleece/drysuit before i leave the house, don't take it off until i'm in the shower. Fleece and all. gently caress the cold.

Granted i'm in texas so i've got nothing on you northern folk, but my coldest has been 28 degrees outside and 44 in the water. I'm pretty sure i wore like 8 hand warmers in random pockets.

I dove 44 wet :clint:

Bagged an oceanic geo 2 and hollis m1 ask for Christmas. Can't wait to get them wet

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
On Christmas I saw a 5ft banded seasnake.

Today I got within inches of a Green / Hawksbill turtle.

Truly a good Xmas / Boxing day.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Mr.AARP posted:

Getting my wisdom teeth out tomorrow. Would I be extremely foolish to try and dive on the 5th?

ASKYOURDOCTORASKYOURDOCTORASKYOURDOCTORASKYOURDOCTORASKYOURDOCTOR

Everyone heals differently, and not every procedure is the same. Your doc is the only one who can give you the greenlight

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

pupdive posted:

I mean that shot of what the diver sees and what the camera sees, and all that.

Pictures of UW photographers are rare and useful.

I cant share my buddies stuff but here is mine.

I am unsure if I posted these?

http://stealthwater.smugmug.com/Underwater/Underwater-Photos/

I post quite a number of photos :)

Mr.AARP posted:

NOT MEDICAL ADVICE NOT MEDICAL ADVICE!!! DO NOT BLAME ME IF YOU CREATE A PRESSURE GRADIENT AND SUCK YOUR BRAIN THROUGH YOUR GAPING TOOTH HOLE!!!

I had wisdom teeth removed and dove 3 weeks after. Let that poo poo heal enough that you dont get dry socket.

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 26, 2012

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

Crunkjuice posted:

ASKYOURDOCTORASKYOURDOCTORASKYOURDOCTORASKYOURDOCTORASKYOURDOCTOR

Everyone heals differently, and not every procedure is the same. Your doc is the only one who can give you the greenlight

SlicerDicer posted:

NOT MEDICAL ADVICE NOT MEDICAL ADVICE!!! DO NOT BLAME ME IF YOU CREATE A PRESSURE GRADIENT AND SUCK YOUR BRAIN THROUGH YOUR GAPING TOOTH HOLE!!!

I had wisdom teeth removed and dove 3 weeks after. Let that poo poo heal enough that you dont get dry socket.

Yeah, the reason I ask is my orthodontist (who seemed fairly knowledgeable about diving) gave me the green light before surgery. He also saw that my bottom two teeth were impacted to hell. I'll wait and play it by ear seeing as I don't exactly want an air embolism in my tooth hole.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Mr.AARP posted:

Yeah, the reason I ask is my orthodontist (who seemed fairly knowledgeable about diving) gave me the green light before surgery. He also saw that my bottom two teeth were impacted to hell. I'll wait and play it by ear seeing as I don't exactly want an air embolism in my tooth hole.

I would be more worried about Farterial Gas Embolism!

Ok joking aside I would give plenty of time.. Tooth Squeeze is the WORST

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any full faced diving masks? I'm looking to get into diving this summer and I don't really like the feeling of just goggles. It's something I could 'suffer' through, but I've used full face masks, for non-diving related things, and don't mind those one bit.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Pufflekins posted:

Are there any full faced diving masks? I'm looking to get into diving this summer and I don't really like the feeling of just goggles. It's something I could 'suffer' through, but I've used full face masks, for non-diving related things, and don't mind those one bit.
Well you have the full face masks that integrate the second stage regulator in them. This is what you see people on TV wearing when they are talking to the camera/each other over a radio link. Here's my dive buddy putting one on:
Then theres the old school facemask (pictured at bottom of post) which will cover most of your face save your mouth but make clearing your ears impossible if the "hold your nose and blow" method is all you can manage. EE: I just realized that paticular mask allows a hold nose and blow clearing method. Most begining divers can only clear their ears this way.

Then there are commercial diving helmets that have been around and evolved since the dawn of diving. I doubt this is what you are looking for.

There is also the possibility that you are just wanting a normal diving mask since you said you did not like "goggles". We don't use goggles in diving, we use masks so if this was you being confused then you're good to go.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bishop fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 27, 2012

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bishop posted:

Here's my dive buddy putting one on:

What kind of post-editing was done on this photo to make her suit look like a leather cat suit? I also like the matching yellow weights and trim on the knife.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bishop posted:

Well you have the full face masks that integrate the second stage regulator in them. This is what you see people on TV wearing when they are talking to the camera/each other over a radio link. Here's my dive buddy putting one on:

There is also the possibility that you are just wanting a normal diving mask since you said you did not like "goggles". We don't use goggles in diving, we use masks so if this was you being confused then you're good to go.

I'm talking the kind your dive buddy was using. Since the second stage regulator is fixed, how does that affect changing tanks? I know with firefighting SCBAs you have to take the regulator out of the mask otherwise you can't breathe.

I didn't mean to offend by calling the masks goggles. I should have said goggle style, I guess?

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
You can call them "underwater clown glasses" for all I care, I just wanted to make sure you were not confused :)

I'm not very familiar with full face mask setups so forgive me while I post first and go looking into it a bit later. I know a lot of them allow you to remove the second stage from the rest of the mask, and put another one in if it is designed to fit. You would have to flood/clear the mask to do this obviously. I've also heard people talk about how they just remove the whole thing, pull out a second regular mask, and use that when switching to bailout/deco bottles.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Drager or bust!

http://www.golemgear.com/p-326-draeger-panorama-nova-r-full-face-mask.aspx

Ok yeah its expensive you can also get Guardian I have 2 of those they are great.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bishop posted:

You can call them "underwater clown glasses" for all I care, I just wanted to make sure you were not confused :)

I'm not very familiar with full face mask setups so forgive me while I post first and go looking into it a bit later. I know a lot of them allow you to remove the second stage from the rest of the mask, and put another one in if it is designed to fit. You would have to flood/clear the mask to do this obviously. I've also heard people talk about how they just remove the whole thing, pull out a second regular mask, and use that when switching to bailout/deco bottles.

Alright, I just didn't want to step on toes while asking for help.

I dug around a bit and all the second stage regulators look real beefy, I know with firefighting SCBAs the regulator that hooks onto the mask is relatively tiny. I can't seem to find an explanation of the difference. The only thing I can chalk it up to would be pressure?

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Pufflekins posted:

Alright, I just didn't want to step on toes while asking for help.

I dug around a bit and all the second stage regulators look real beefy, I know with firefighting SCBAs the regulator that hooks onto the mask is relatively tiny. I can't seem to find an explanation of the difference. The only thing I can chalk it up to would be pressure?
It might be underwater regulators need to have more flood tolerance because water exerts more pressure than air/smoke.

Is this for a rescue/body recovery operation? Because fire departments use full face masks all the time because they need to communicate with the surface. I've had the pleasure of training with some FD recovery teams before and they are always good people.

If you're just looking into recreational diving, I think you would quickly get used to a standard mask/regulator setup. If you want to dive for fun, I think you'd quickly figure out that it's easy to keep your mask cleared while having the regulator in your mouth. It gives you more gear options as well because the second stage regulator does not have to fit into the face mask. As far as switching tanks goes.... even in doubles you normally just use one regulator unless you have other tanks for bailout/deco.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 27, 2012

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bishop posted:

It might be underwater regulators need to have more flood tolerance because water exerts more pressure than air/smoke.

Is this for a rescue/body recovery operation? Because fire departments use full face masks all the time because they need to communicate with the surface. I've had the pleasure of training with some FD recovery teams before and they are always good people.

If you're just looking into recreational diving, I think you would quickly get used to a standard mask/regulator setup. If you want to dive for fun, I think you'd quickly figure out that it's easy to keep your mask cleared while having the regulator in your mouth. It gives you more gear options as well because the second stage regulator does not have to fit into the face mask. As far as switching tanks goes.... even in doubles you normally just use one regulator unless you have other tanks for bailout/deco.

Nah, it's not anything related to the department, thats just where I am getting my (limited)SCBA knowledge from. I'm hesitant about the mouth regulators because I gag when I get fluoride trays at the dentist.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

Well, I've finally just completed my fundamental gear setup with the purchase of an Atomic Z2 and the only things I have left are small like a weight belt to support my 20 lbs on my BC.

Scubapro mask/snorkel/booties/gloves - $150 (LDS)
Oceanic First-gen weight-integrated jacket BC - $100(very used)
Atomic Smoke on the Water Split Fins/5mm hood/Faber HP100 3442 PSI tank/20 lbs BC weights - $260 (got them from my dad's friend for a great price)
Bare Sport 7mm - $265 (Scubatoys)
Suunto Vyper orginal - $125 (decent shape from Scubaboard)
Oceanic SPG (current edition) - $30 (good shape from Scubaboard)
Atomic Z2 with Aeries Atmos octo - $215 (good shape from Scubaboard)

I think I did pretty well budget wise while still getting some high quality equipment. This sport sure ain't for the money conscious.

Mr.AARP fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 27, 2012

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Pufflekins posted:

Nah, it's not anything related to the department, thats just where I am getting my (limited)SCBA knowledge from. I'm hesitant about the mouth regulators because I gag when I get fluoride trays at the dentist.

Go to walmart or a dive shop and buy a snorkel. Play around in your pool/bathtub/stick your head in a sink and breath out of it for a while. To get scuba certified you MUST be able to use a snorkel, and it'll give you a good indication whether or not you can deal with a regulator in your mouth.

Another idea is to go to a dive shop and ask them about a discover scuba course. http://www.padi.com/scuba/padi-courses/diver-level-courses/view-all-padi-courses/discover-scuba-diving/default.aspx . Its basically you and a divemaster in a pool, letting you breath underwater and get an idea of what scuba actually is. Its a great way for people who are anxious about their physical/mental abilities to dive to get some practical experience without dropping a few hundred bucks on the open water course and hate it.

I've had some students who hate having things in their mouth on the surface, but i've seen it tends to go away underwater when it goes from being an annoyance, to a life saving piece of equipment. Once they get over that mental block and concentrate on what they are doing underwater, they get over it pretty fast. When you're at the dentist, you can breath through your nose and the tray is just a pain in the rear end. No one likes it. Underwater however, your mentality of that big hunk of plastic in your mouth changes.

Everyone is different, so playing with a snorkel/doing a discover scuba course will give you a better idea.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Crunkjuice posted:

Go to walmart or a dive shop and buy a snorkel. Play around in your pool/bathtub/stick your head in a sink and breath out of it for a while. To get scuba certified you MUST be able to use a snorkel, and it'll give you a good indication whether or not you can deal with a regulator in your mouth.

Another idea is to go to a dive shop and ask them about a discover scuba course. http://www.padi.com/scuba/padi-courses/diver-level-courses/view-all-padi-courses/discover-scuba-diving/default.aspx . Its basically you and a divemaster in a pool, letting you breath underwater and get an idea of what scuba actually is. Its a great way for people who are anxious about their physical/mental abilities to dive to get some practical experience without dropping a few hundred bucks on the open water course and hate it.

I've had some students who hate having things in their mouth on the surface, but i've seen it tends to go away underwater when it goes from being an annoyance, to a life saving piece of equipment. Once they get over that mental block and concentrate on what they are doing underwater, they get over it pretty fast. When you're at the dentist, you can breath through your nose and the tray is just a pain in the rear end. No one likes it. Underwater however, your mentality of that big hunk of plastic in your mouth changes.

Everyone is different, so playing with a snorkel/doing a discover scuba course will give you a better idea.

I'm not saying I couldn't do it with just a mouth piece. I'm stubborn enough to do it if I had to, but I could get a full face mask and not worry about it. I'll definitely hit up a wal-mart for a snorkel. But if I do decide to get certified, I will definitely be owning a full face mask.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Pufflekins posted:

Basically you need to just get over not wanting to wear a mask.

FullFace mask are a real hazard (for technical reasons) and really only for people who are comfortable diving without a mask at all, who need communication units for a specific task*

As wise people say, diving is not sleeping on a feather bed, rather it is a an entry into a completely different environment which requires that you adapt to it, including wearing a mask, using a mouthpiece and finding ways to not gag.

There is always SeaWalker if you just want to do it once.

If you want to dive, you have to be willing to let go of your previously learned behaviors on many levels.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Pufflekins posted:

I'm not saying I couldn't do it with just a mouth piece. I'm stubborn enough to do it if I had to, but I could get a full face mask and not worry about it. I'll definitely hit up a wal-mart for a snorkel. But if I do decide to get certified, I will definitely be owning a full face mask.

Full facemasks are what, like 700-1500 bucks while a regular mask is like 50-150? If you're daddy moneybags then i guess thats not a big deal, but to normal folk, thats a pretty big chunk of change.

Not to mention at the beginning of any sort of dive, you are going to have to discuss your gear with your buddy/dive group so they all know what to do in an emergency. Its bad enough when every tek diver has some different rig you have to pay attention to, but if i dove with someone with a full facemask? That would make an emergency situation even MORE fun.

99.99% of divers don't use full facemasks, because there is no reason to in standard recreational diving. You've admitted that you could probably do without it, so i think thats what you/everyone in the world without a good reason should do.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Pile on time... if you're using a full facemask setup, you should also be prefectly cool with removing it in an underwater emergency, -AND- blindly deploying and switching to and clearing a normal mask while also getting another regulator in your mouth. It's not a solution to a comfort problem and I have a feeling that you will be fine with a standard SCUBA setup once you practice a bit.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 27, 2012

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Fair enough, the emergency aspect of it never crossed my mind. That alone is a good enough reason to just stick with the mouthpiece.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Hi Pufflekins

You may not like wearing goggles because at more or less any depth the air in the goggles gets compressed by ambient (sea) pressure. This essentially feels as if the goggles are being smashed into your face, and your eyes/face are being sucked into the goggles, which is not a pleasant feeling at all and can make your face look all bruised/messed up if you do it too much/too deep. This is known as 'squeeze'.

When SCUBA diving (properly) 'squeeze' is a non-issue because instead of holding your breath you breathe normally, breathing air at ambient (sea) pressure. The mask contains your nose as well as covering your eyes, and the air within the mask will equalize with the air in your lungs through your nose. So you feel essentially no pressure on your face beyond the tension of the mask strap, and they don't have to be very tight.

Also, SCUBA masks usually have a fairly big viewport so you don't have the weird distorted tunnel vision goggles can give you. I would recommend trying a real mask with a snorkel, breathing regularly, and seeing if you still have the issues you had with goggles.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Pufflekins posted:

Fair enough, the emergency aspect of it never crossed my mind. That alone is a good enough reason to just stick with the mouthpiece.
You'll be fine. If a second stage regulator mouthpiece gags with you too much, try some other mouthpieces. Same goes for masks. I have a friend or two (one of which came down to Key Largo to dive with me just a few weeks ago) who completely freaked out underwater at points because of this exact thing, but they ended up nailing it.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Bishop posted:

You'll be fine. If a second stage regulator mouthpiece gags with you too much, try some other mouthpieces. Same goes for masks. I have a friend or two (one of which came down to Key Largo to dive with me just a few weeks ago) who completely freaked out underwater at points because of this exact thing, but they ended up nailing it.

Blargh, good point. I completely forgot about this. Heres some info on different styles of mouthpieces. http://scuba.about.com/od/regulators/tp/Regulator-Mouthpieces.htm

Seacure makes one thats moldable to your mouth, that is super popular. I dive one and its fantastic.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Mr.AARP posted:

I think I did pretty well budget wise while still getting some high quality equipment. This sport sure ain't for the money conscious.
Great choices. I think you may have overpaid for your regulators. I'm pretty poo poo at used gear though. But hey, I had to make -some- criticism

Bishop fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 27, 2012

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

Bishop posted:

Great choices. I think you may have overpaid for your regulators. I'm pretty poo poo at used gear though. But hey, I had to make -some- criticism

Yeah, unfortunately no good DIN regs were popping up on Scubaboard and craigslist socal prices are hilariously bad.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

mishaq posted:

What kind of post-editing was done on this photo to make her suit look like a leather cat suit? I also like the matching yellow weights and trim on the knife.
Also note how ridiculously phallic that picture is. God bless marketing.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Pufflekins posted:

For what it's worth, I gag on those trays every time and I haven't had a problem with regulators or snorkels. If you're really worried about it, buy a cheap snorkel and find a pool somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

Pile on time... if you're using a full facemask setup, you should also be prefectly cool with removing it in an underwater emergency, -AND- blindly deploying and switching to and clearing a normal mask while also getting another regulator in your mouth. It's not a solution to a comfort problem and I have a feeling that you will be fine with a standard SCUBA setup once you practice a bit.

Actually I have use for mine but its rarely used, I use it with surface communication when doing underwater work. In near zero visibility able to see where diver is on the sonar lets me direct him directions. In Clearer Conditions they can request stuff or what not.

Comms is a great thing for doing work, beyond that its really no practical purpose just yell at people underwater they will hear you LOL