Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

WhoIsYou posted:

Yeast cells take a couple hours to reproduce once. They also need oxygen, so if you aren't doing a long preferment and regularly incorporating air, it doesn't come into play. The amount you start with will determine how fast the dough ferments. You can get better flavor from your bread with a longer ferment in the mid-70s. Using a smaller amount lets you get more flavor before too much carbon dioxide is released. Also, measuring the yeast will give a more consistent loaf of bread.

I can see that, but I dunno, if I get too much rise, I'm not opposed to just beating it down and letting it come back a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

all your prayers must seem as nothing

So why is King Arthur flour considered the go-to? My stepmother (who is some kind of alchemical bread-wizard) always swore by it, so I was somewhat interested to see the same recommendation in the OP.

(laugenbrötchen is in the oven now, doing just regular brötchen and bauernbröt tomorrow)

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Have a recipe for those brötchen? I've been wanting to do the same thing, because I really miss the delicious bread I ate in Germany as a kid. I found what looks like a good recipe on some German website but I've honestly never baked bread in my life. Suggestions would be appreciated.

On the subject of King Arthur flour, the recipe I translated called for diastatic malt powder, which seems difficult to find in the US except from King Arthur's website. Anyone know of other sources? If I could buy it locally that would be nice, but I'm thinking I'll just have to order online and wait for it.

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

all your prayers must seem as nothing

Choadmaster posted:

Have a recipe for those brötchen? I've been wanting to do the same thing, because I really miss the delicious bread I ate in Germany as a kid. I found what looks like a good recipe on some German website but I've honestly never baked bread in my life. Suggestions would be appreciated.

My father is from Bavaria, so yeah, visiting family has destroyed my capacity to enjoy bread here in the States. The brötchen is on it's first rise at the moment, so I can't entirely vet this recipe:

Brötchen (hard rolls) : 450F, 20-25 min.

Starter:
2 C. King Arthur bread flour
1 1/3 C. cold tap water
1/2 t. active dry yeast

Mix starter until smooth, cover with a damp cloth, and let rest 8 - 24 hours.

Flour:
~5 (+1/2) C. KA bread flour
1 1/3 C. water (again +/- if needed)
1 t. instant yeast
1 1/2 t. salt

Mix starter (which should be like bubbly pancake batter) with 5 cups flour, water, and yeast. Knead, adding additional flour/water as necessary until dough clears the surface of the bowl. Add salt and knead. Dough should be smooth but tacky.

Place in an oiled bowl, turning to coat, and again cover with a damp towel and let rest until doubled. Turn onto a floured surface, cutting out rolls with a spatula. Coat with flour and place on parchment paper, cover with damp cloth and let rest one hour. Preheat oven to 450F, placing an old metal pan on the lowest rack during this last resting period.

Either leave plain, or sprinkle poppy seeds or other traditional topping on rolls, then slash with a serrated knife to form a cross or other design. Place rolls on the next rack up. Pour a cup of water into the pan that's been preheating, and use a water bottle to spray the sides of the oven 2 - 3 times in the first five minutes. Bake 15 - 20 more minutes, turning the pan if necessary to evenly brown. Cool on wire racks.

As a trip report for the laugenbrötchen (pretzel rolls), I think I overdid the soda water bath, but the crusts were incredible last night. This morning, they had more of the soft-and-chewy exterior one would expect from soft pretzels. Incredible with sweet butter and raspberry preserves.

Edit for brötchen: I think I would add a bit more salt to the flour, but these are incredible.

96 BELOW THE WAVE fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 16, 2012

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Awesome, thanks. Here is the recipe I found and translated (mostly using Google Translate; my German sucks). My approximate US measurement conversions are in parentheses. I converted the flour types to US types too; I hope this was done correctly.

Kaisersemmel!! posted:

Starter:
10 grams yeast (~3.5 tsp [fresh/cake yeast??])
135ml water (~1/2 cup)
150 grams flour type 1050 (~1 1/4 cups first clear flour)

Dough:
350 grams type 550 flour (~2 3/4 cups all purpose flour)
5 grams diastatic malt powder (to taste)
10 grams salt
150 ml water (~2/3 cup)
20 grams butter/lard (~1/5 stick or 1 1/2 tbsp)

Mix all the ingredients for the starter smooth, let stand covered for about 30 minutes.

Knead the starter and the remaining ingredients into a homogeneous dough: First mix all ingredients except butter and salt, knead into a fairly stiff dough; then add butter in small pieces and salt and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and detaches easily from bowl.

Let the dough rest covered for about 20 minutes.

Make 10 portions and stretch into cylinders. Relax covered for 10 minutes, then roll each into an approximately 35 cm (~14 inch) long cable. Wrap this into Kaiser roll shape. Cover approximately 30-40 minutes.

Preheat the oven with a baking stone on the middle rack at 480° F.

Put rolls on a greased sheet and bake for about 10 minutes with a lot of steam (use a pan of water). Then open the door, let out steam, and bake another 10 minutes, reducing the temperature in the last 5 minutes to 430° F if desired.

This recipe I found merely said "yeast," so I don't know what type it would have meant. It seems to be a lot more yeast than in your recipe, but the starter also isn't supposed to rest as long so it would make sense. Still, is there a standard type of yeast used in Germany or was the recipe I found just unfortunately vague?

Monkahchi
Apr 29, 2012

Fresh Chops!

Choadmaster posted:

This recipe I found merely said "yeast," so I don't know what type it would have meant. It seems to be a lot more yeast than in your recipe, but the starter also isn't supposed to rest as long so it would make sense. Still, is there a standard type of yeast used in Germany or was the recipe I found just unfortunately vague?

With all yeast, instructions on the packet/container tend to tell you how much to use in bread. It varies from culture to culture. I reccomend using the powdered quick stuff, the kind you have to soak is a pain, and kinda unreliable.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Darn, my SAF yeast from Amazon turned out to be a dud. Now I have to order more yeast :(

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Hold me. I'm scared.

I just made a new bread recipe and it came together (seemingly) properly at a full cup less flour than the minimum the author calls for.

On the one hand I've made enough similar bread to know it's the right consistency, and I'm only at the first rise anyway. On the other hand I'm worried I just used some very expensive ingredients to make a bowlful of garbage. So much cardamom. :ohdear:

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This might be a silly question, but is there anything such as a carb-free bread? My friend Trevor told me about something about a carb-free bread and since I'm on a 0 carb diet (ketosis ftw) I can't actually enjoy bread as much as I want.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

Black Baby Goku posted:

This might be a silly question, but is there anything such as a carb-free bread? My friend Trevor told me about something about a carb-free bread and since I'm on a 0 carb diet (ketosis ftw) I can't actually enjoy bread as much as I want.

This is not the place to ask for carb-free bread. Go to YLLS, there's a keto thread and a questions thread.

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

Molten Llama posted:

Hold me. I'm scared.

I just made a new bread recipe and it came together (seemingly) properly at a full cup less flour than the minimum the author calls for.

On the one hand I've made enough similar bread to know it's the right consistency, and I'm only at the first rise anyway. On the other hand I'm worried I just used some very expensive ingredients to make a bowlful of garbage. So much cardamom. :ohdear:

Go with how the dough looks and feels. It sounds like you're measuring by volume instead of weight. You may just be measuring differently than the recipe author. If you scoop and sweep, you'll be getting a lot more flour in each cup than someone who uses a spoon to fill the cup. Also, things like humidity and type of flour will alter the amount of water you need to get the right hydration.

Black Baby Goku posted:

You'll never get bread the way you know and like it without it being mostly carbs. There are recipes for flatbreads using low-carb mixes like Carbquick or quickbread type things using nut flours and meringues. This site is a decent place to start if you really want to try it. But proper bread is one of the things you'll have to live without if you want to do ketosis.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

WhoIsYou posted:

Go with how the dough looks and feels. It sounds like you're measuring by volume instead of weight. You may just be measuring differently than the recipe author. If you scoop and sweep, you'll be getting a lot more flour in each cup than someone who uses a spoon to fill the cup. Also, things like humidity and type of flour will alter the amount of water you need to get the right hydration.

Yeah, the recipe was written for volume. I went with my gut and assumed she was measuring differently or living somewhere significantly more humid. Never realized how large of a difference scoop vs spoon made, though. Good to know.

It still ended up funky because I chronically under-knead, but it tasted fine and was bread!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

My ingredients from King Arthur just arrived (at 10 pm; the UPS guy must be getting a lot of holiday overtime) so I've started work on my first ever batch of bread. I hope the inevitable disaster is tasty.

While I'm here, is a stand mixer worth it? Assuming this is tasty I hope to make it often. If so, any recommendations? (I know there are a few listed in the OP of the product recommendations thread.)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

A stand mixer is really worth it if you're baking bread regularly. I have my grandma's 1976 model Electrolux Assistent, and it's a beast. The contacts had corroded from sitting unused for a couple of years, but apart from that it's unbreakable. My mom has a 1970 model that she bought new, and it's been in frequent use since.

Not my pic, but this one looks just like it.

e: they still make them and they are available in the US from Amazon and other places.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Choadmaster posted:

My ingredients from King Arthur just arrived (at 10 pm; the UPS guy must be getting a lot of holiday overtime) so I've started work on my first ever batch of bread. I hope the inevitable disaster is tasty.

While I'm here, is a stand mixer worth it? Assuming this is tasty I hope to make it often. If so, any recommendations? (I know there are a few listed in the OP of the product recommendations thread.)
If you make a lot of bread with kneading, and/or do a lot of other baking (cakes, cookies etc) then yes. I mostly make no-knead bread but every now and again do a kneaded loaf, and it's great. We also bake cakes etc fairly often. We have a kitchenaid; here in the UK the Kenwood Chef is also very highly regarded.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
For a contrasting opinion, I make yeasted breads three or four times a week, and I get by just fine without a stand mixer. Sure they're nice, but i'm just a student and I enjoy the working-with-my-hands aspect of kneading the dough myself. Plus, counter space.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vagueabond posted:

For a contrasting opinion, I make yeasted breads three or four times a week, and I get by just fine without a stand mixer. Sure they're nice, but i'm just a student and I enjoy the working-with-my-hands aspect of kneading the dough myself. Plus, counter space.
Absolutely. There's a definite satisfaction from hand kneading. It's cheaper too! Stand mixers are more convenient and less messy. Depends on your preferences.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
For bread a stand mixer is less messy. For making things like marshmallows you'd definitely want a stand mixer though!

I find that I bake a lot more after I bought a stand mixer. Ease of use, speed, and the simple fact that it's just standing on the counter tempting me to bake something...

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If you have a food processor it might have come with a little plastic "blade" thingy. That's for kneading dough - it's what I use when I'm lazy or in a hurry. Not as nice as a stand mixer but it gets the job done.

Larry Horseplay
Oct 24, 2002

I have a Cuisinart 7-cup processor and whenever I do any dough-type stuff I'm worried I'm going to burn the motor out; it makes a lower-than-normal sound and seems to struggle a bit.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The machine I have has the motor in the base, and the bowl itself rotates.

Here's the creepy corporate video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVHRhB8NB4M

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Larry Horseplay posted:

I have a Cuisinart 7-cup processor and whenever I do any dough-type stuff I'm worried I'm going to burn the motor out; it makes a lower-than-normal sound and seems to struggle a bit.
Should be ok. The other issue is that the motor gets hot and heats the dough too much. I'd use cold water, knowing it was going to get warmed.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Christmas bread time.

50/50 rye/wheat, buttermilk and syrup as base liquid. Crust brushed with a beaten egg for the lovely colour.
Spiced with fennel seed, bitter orange peel, cumin and anise.

Delicious.

edit: imgur is being stupid

HUMAN FISH fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 23, 2012

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Oh goodness, that's beautiful. :swoon:

Gonna go buy some rye flour now and see if I can make one of those soon.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm thinking of trying the 5 minute artisan bread technique, and I'm very much a "follow to the T" kind of guy. They use a whisk in their food storage container, but I have a stand mixer and I'd like to take advantage of it.

Could I use the stand mixer for their technique? They don't say how long they have to whisk manually.

If I used the stand mixer with its aluminum mixing bowl, would it work to transfer the dough once mixed into the same kind of storage container they use?

I'm probably over-thinking this, but again, I don't like to stray from instruction when cooking.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Definitely overthinking. When I do it I use a long spoon right in the storage container. You could use a stand mixer but it would unnecessarily complicate the process, plus add a couple of extra things to wash when you transfer the dough out of the mixer into the storage container. You're meant to mix the flour and water until combined, so no particular time is mentioned.

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
ABunch7587's little bitch
Made Stollen for the holidays and it had everyone of German descent at work almost in tears. Nothing like diddlin' people's memories!

catacera
Jun 19, 2010

Has anyone ever used the Cold-Oven method for making bread? I received a "red wing stoneware bread baker" that came with no recipe but had a note saying "Put in COOL OVEN!!" I've done a lot of the no-kneed breads and I have this wonderful graham flour recipe handed down from my mother-in-law (it's an old Finnish recipe), but nothing that starts with a cool/cold oven.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

I think it means don't throw the stone in the oven while it's hot, because the change in temperature may cause it to crack.
In other words, you need to let the stoneware heat up with the oven, and not throw the cold stoneware in a hot oven. As far as i know there is no way of baking bread in a cool oven.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

catacera posted:

Has anyone ever used the Cold-Oven method for making bread? I received a "red wing stoneware bread baker" that came with no recipe but had a note saying "Put in COOL OVEN!!" I've done a lot of the no-kneed breads and I have this wonderful graham flour recipe handed down from my mother-in-law (it's an old Finnish recipe), but nothing that starts with a cool/cold oven.
I think my cloche/dome baker says to start in a cold oven which obviously then gets to baking temp. The people who sold it recommend heating it first, which I do. Or maybe they recommend starting it in cold oven... Anyway, yes, I've heard of that.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

So I got a book for Christmas this year:

Which meant, of course, that I had to put together some dough last night. This was my first time baking in a dutch oven.

One loaf currently being demolished by my family.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Babby's first completely own dogma bread (no recipes)

I told her to hand-knead to get a feeling of the dough..

A lot of kneading happened, also some patting...

She wanted to braid it - braided it became

And then she baked it...

My only participation in this was to walk through the process with her before hand, to instruct her in what the things should feel like and telling her about the motions she should use when kneading...

It was ok for a first attempt.

Larry Horseplay
Oct 24, 2002

therattle posted:

Should be ok. The other issue is that the motor gets hot and heats the dough too much. I'd use cold water, knowing it was going to get warmed.

Thanks for the tip! Still on the fence about whether or not to get a stand mixer (we have such limited counter/storage space as it is in this place) and this helps.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

:3:

It was ok for a first attempt.

Not only does it look way better than my first attempt the other day, she didn't destroy the kitchen in an unholy flour explosion, either. (Notice I never did post pictures of my attempt at kaisersemmeln last week :smith:.)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Aww, HH, that's awesome. I hope my boy grows up to bake with me.

I just made a loaf with some oatmeal (past it's best-by date so it needs using) and some light rye, with about 65% white flour. I've done a similar loaf with wholemeal instead of rye, but I was really surprised by how much denser it is with rye. Tasty though. I think my favourite is still white with spelt.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Tomorrow she will get to operate the standmixer, as she has understood the formation of gluten.

I will also have her wash out the gluten from some dough, and have her bake it to see what oven-spring is all about :) (that is how dad taught me, that is how I'm gonna teach my daughter.. also banjos).

We're having fun!

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Happy Hat posted:

I will also have her wash out the gluten from some dough, and have her bake it to see what oven-spring is all about :) (that is how dad taught me, that is how I'm gonna teach my daughter.. also banjos).

Tell us more about this! How is this done and what is the end result supposed to be?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

Tomorrow she will get to operate the standmixer, as she has understood the formation of gluten.

We're having fun!

Sounds awesome. I cook with my friend's kids fairly often, because that's one of the few things her daughter and I both enjoy doing; but even then it often turns into "What, it's going to take more than ten seconds to make this whipped cream? *Hands bowl to Choadmaster.* Tell me when it's ready..." :argh:

You should do some Youtube videos like Leroy Diplowski does in the candy thread. I don't know anything about breadmaking and it sounds like you know how to teach it! (Mostly kidding; spend the time with your daughter and not us goons!)

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 28, 2012

catacera
Jun 19, 2010

After a little research, I discovered that the cold-oven method can work with some breads - I'm not sure you'd want to use it with all of them, especially my rustic no-knead bread.

I found a simple bread recipe:
http://www.lafujimama.com/2009/09/simple-one-hour-homemade-bread/

Added some rosemary and pepper. Then I put it in, starting with a cold oven, and baked it. You have to keep in mind that the bread is going to rise as the oven heats up, so you have to then cook the bread for slightly longer.

The results: Amazing. Super fluffy, soft, and wonderful.

catacera fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

Sounds awesome. I cook with my friend's kids fairly often, because that's one of the few things her daughter and I both enjoy doing; but even then it often turns into "What, it's going to take more than ten seconds to make this whipped cream? *Hands bowl to Choadmaster.* Tell me when it's ready..." :argh:

You should do some Youtube videos like Leroy Diplowski does in the candy thread. I don't know anything about breadmaking and it sounds like you know how to teach it! (Mostly kidding; spend the time with your daughter and not us goons!)

The language barrier would be insuperable...