Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Ah, good. It is just the base level bottle, but it's good to hear they tend to make pretty good stuff.

Also, I can't wait to try the bottle of Glenlivet 15 I just received as a gift. Gotta work on this gallon of eggnog first, though. :cheers:

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miguel Angel Face
Apr 1, 2012
I AM THE GHOST OF DON BRASH FROM 2005, IF YOU DON'T SAY "ONE LAW FOR ALL" FIVE TIMES IN THE MIRROR I'LL COME INTO YOUR THREAD TONIGHT AND SPOUT RACIST DOGWHISTLES FOR TWENTY PAGES
I have been given a bottle of Ardbeg Supernova 2009 as a Xmas gift (thanks Dad).

I worked through a bottle of the Supernova 2010 earlier this year and it was excellent. But I'm really not sure whether to drink the 2009 or sit on it for a few years and hope that it appreciates.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Miguel Angel Face posted:

I have been given a bottle of Ardbeg Supernova 2009 as a Xmas gift (thanks Dad).

I worked through a bottle of the Supernova 2010 earlier this year and it was excellent. But I'm really not sure whether to drink the 2009 or sit on it for a few years and hope that it appreciates.

Drink it. Whiskey doesn't bottle age like wine.

Miguel Angel Face
Apr 1, 2012
I AM THE GHOST OF DON BRASH FROM 2005, IF YOU DON'T SAY "ONE LAW FOR ALL" FIVE TIMES IN THE MIRROR I'LL COME INTO YOUR THREAD TONIGHT AND SPOUT RACIST DOGWHISTLES FOR TWENTY PAGES

Tigren posted:

Drink it. Whiskey doesn't bottle age like wine.

I realise that it won't improve with age. I was thinking it might appreciate in value if I leave the bottle sealed (since it was highly regarded and becoming somewhat hard to find these days).

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

I realise that it won't improve with age. I was thinking it might appreciate in value if I leave the bottle sealed (since it was highly regarded and becoming somewhat hard to find these days).

Drink it. Free whiskey is the best whiskey.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!
For Christmas I got a bottle of Auchentoshan three wood. I really like it but I was curious what the general consensus was on it.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Whisky is for drinking. Even the small amount of money you might be able to get from it, you'd be better off enjoying it.

As for me, I got a $100 gift card to a local Binny's (because my relatives didn't know what to get me) and a bottle of AnCnoc 12. Going to crack the taster bottle of my Ardbeg Uigeadail and see if it's worth buying. My guess? God drat yes.

Gregorio
Aug 9, 2010

why oh WHY posted:

For Christmas I got a bottle of Auchentoshan three wood. I really like it but I was curious what the general consensus was on it.

I was skeptical of the Auchentoshan range but I tried the Three Wood at Sydney Whisky Live 2012 and quite enjoyed it.

For my Christmas haul I got a new bottle of Aberlour Abu-nadh (Batch 40) since I had just finished my other bottle (can't remember the batch). I also got a Scotch Malt Whisky Society Japanese malt 116.18 which I couldn't wait to open... just stunning, amazing sherried whisky.

And finally a bottle of Kraken Rum just for something different... not sure how much I will sip it but certainly going to be mixed :)

Other recent openings have been a Bookers which is like getting your head knocked of... and a Glenfarclas 21 and Glengoyne 21, both lovely sherried drams but slightly different in style too. I think overall I enjoy the Glengoyne more but Glenfarclas is certainly up there too, easier to find here as well :)

lolercoasterrr
Mar 27, 2006

lololololololololllllll
I've decided to get into whisky this year since some of my friends drink it and I've always thought it was pretty cool. I read some stuff on the internet and just made my first beginner whisky purchase:

Glenmorangie The Original
Highland Park 12 Year Old
Balvenie 12 Year Old Doublewood
Johnnie Walker Black Label
Glenlivet 12 Year Old

I've heard that it's good to start with several and to compare them against each other, but does anyone know where to find a beginner's tasting notes or something so I'm not just sipping everything clueless and getting progressively more hammered? I've heard that Appreciating Whisky by Hills is a great book but I can't find any reasonably priced copies. If anyone has any advice on how to start 'tasting' them and the quickest way to start enjoying them I'd greatly appreciate it!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Use a nosing glass of some sort, a Glencairn or wine copita for example. Have bottled water handy. Always start with the least smoky/peaty whisky and work your way up. Keep the whisky and water near typical ambient temps, not cold or warm.

Pour approximately 1 oz of whisky into a clean nosing glass. With your mouth open, lift the opening of the glass to your nose. Make sure the tip of your nose is actually right up against the opening. Angle the opening toward one nostril and breathe in gently through both your nose and mouth. Roll the glass toward your other nostril and repeat...figure out which one allows you to smell the whisky better. Take notes, simple ones. Is it sweet, fruity, smoky, medicinal, floral, etc. Try to narrow those descriptions. Is it honey sweet, sugary sweet...red fruit or yellow fruits, etc.

Taste it neat. Draw a good amount of whiskey into your mouth. Laphroaig's NA brand ambassador suggests letting the whisky hit the back of the tongue first, but as long as you 'chew' the whisky and spread it around all your taste buds then you are fine. Take notes as with the nosing, but don't swallow. Hold it in your mouth a little bit longer and allow your saliva to further dilute it. Take more notes.

Now add a couple drops of water, maybe even a little more than that and nose/taste the whisky again.

To spit or not? If you plan on tasting more than a handful of whiskies, then I would highly suggest spitting for the sake of not feeling too inebriated. Being drunk will only serve to numb all of your senses.

After your initial tasting you could try pairing the whisky with food. Dark chocolate plus Laphroaig 18 for example is particularly indulgent. Strong, dry cheeses are also good to experiment with.

lolercoasterrr
Mar 27, 2006

lololololololololllllll
Thanks very much kidsafe! I also just bought the iwhiskey app so hopefully your instructions and those notes should be useful

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've never felt the need to spit with a small number of whiskies being tasted. Generally speaking whisky does not get spat out at tasting events, unlike wine or something. Just take small amounts and take lots of time with it.
And remember if you are tasting multiple whiskies in succession, start with the lightest flavoured whisky first, working your way up to the heavier, more richly flavoured ones. If you are unsure the ABV % can be an indication but by no means is it a sure thing.

Most importantly: enjoy. :)

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison
I almost forgot about this thread! I've been nosing around various bourbons and scotches and other than one aged rum and a tequila, I now find myself sipping exclusively from the whiskey side of the fence, always neat, sometimes a splash of water.

I love Jack Daniels Single Barrel, Russel Reserve, Maker's Mark, Knob Creek, Glen Fiddich 12 and 15, Glenlivet 12, Bushmills and Jameson's.

I thought was OK: Balvenie Double Wood 12, the lower end Johnnie Walkers

One that I experimented with that was atrocious was Johnnie Walker Double Black. I gave it to some young adults who were throwing a party.

Anyway, as you can see, I usually spend $60 or less per bottle and I live in a semi-rural area where picking up really nice or niche things can be tricky. I'm looking for something less safe than the choices I've been making but not as extreme/challenging as the double black. Also, I wouldn't mind getting into the $100-$120 price point for something of a good value. I've recently emptied a number of bottles and I've been eyeing a Makers Mark 46 that I'll pick up next. Anyone have anything else that I should look for considering what I like and my price point?

lolercoasterrr
Mar 27, 2006

lololololololololllllll
So I couldn't wait until my 5 whiskys arrived (ordered them online) so I picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 on my way home from work.

First impression: this stuff tastes nasty.

I guess if I keep drinking it it's going to start tasting better??

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

lolercoasterrr posted:

So I couldn't wait until my 5 whiskys arrived (ordered them online) so I picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 on my way home from work.

First impression: this stuff tastes nasty.

I guess if I keep drinking it it's going to start tasting better??

While generally unremarkable, I've never found Macallan 12 to be "nasty." It's a somewhat subdued sherried whisky with a pretty short finish. Are you getting sulfur notes in the whisky? That's a common problem with some sherried malts.

lolercoasterrr
Mar 27, 2006

lololololololololllllll

NightConqueror posted:

While generally unremarkable, I've never found Macallan 12 to be "nasty." It's a somewhat subdued sherried whisky with a pretty short finish. Are you getting sulfur notes in the whisky? That's a common problem with some sherried malts.

I should mention this is pretty much the first or second time I've had whisky.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Spend a lot of time nosing it first. The more notes you get on the nose the more structure you'll have to understand the palate.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

lolercoasterrr posted:

I should mention this is pretty much the first or second time I've had whisky.

Taking your time is key. Put in a little water, let it sit, nose it a bit. Take tiny, tiny sips, let the whisky sit in your mouth.

A lot of whisky newbies start off with the light, fruity Speysiders such as Glenlivet . I'd spend some time with the Glenlivet first as it's a really easygoing and fairly harmless single malt. I saw your list, and I think you picked a very good range of whiskies, although I think Highland Park might be a bit challenging if you're not into peat.

Good luck! I myself got started in this thread over a year ago.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NightConqueror posted:

It's highly likely he picked up the Fine Oak which is the Bourbon finished one.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

lolercoasterrr posted:

I've decided to get into whisky this year since some of my friends drink it and I've always thought it was pretty cool. I read some stuff on the internet and just made my first beginner whisky purchase:

Glenmorangie The Original
Highland Park 12 Year Old
Balvenie 12 Year Old Doublewood
Johnnie Walker Black Label
Glenlivet 12 Year Old

I've heard that it's good to start with several and to compare them against each other, but does anyone know where to find a beginner's tasting notes or something so I'm not just sipping everything clueless and getting progressively more hammered? I've heard that Appreciating Whisky by Hills is a great book but I can't find any reasonably priced copies. If anyone has any advice on how to start 'tasting' them and the quickest way to start enjoying them I'd greatly appreciate it!

All advice given so far is great, but also try searching for Ralfy on YouTube, he has some great videos on nosing and tasting, as well as reviews for hundreds of whiskies. Whiskey takes a while to not just taste of, well, whiskey when you first start out I found but you'll soon start getting all the little nuances. I used to hate it, and now can't understand how anyone can't love a good malt.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

spankmeister posted:

It's highly likely he picked up the Fine Oak which is the Bourbon finished one.
I doubt this. I have never seen Macallan 12yr Fine Oak at any shop here in the US. It's always the 10yr and 17yr Fine Oak, and then sometimes they have the 15yr. Traditional Macallan 12yr and 18yr are always carried.

I can't really say I disagree with his assessment. I have a bottle of Macallan 18 that I received as a gift. It tastes tire rubber (at least a little bit.)

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 27, 2012

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What does this thread think of for Bushnells' irish whiskey?

Is there any great whiskey for $30+? I paid $12 for this 750ml which isn't so bad.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What does this thread think of for Bushnells' irish whiskey?

Is there any great whiskey for $30+? I paid $12 for this 750ml which isn't so bad.
Bushmill's? Can't argue with $12 for a 5th. There's plenty of great whisky for ~$30, particularly bourbon. For something like scotch whisky there are many great blends at or under that price point and a few single malts.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Jakabite posted:

All advice given so far is great, but also try searching for Ralfy on YouTube, he has some great videos on nosing and tasting, as well as reviews for hundreds of whiskies. Whiskey takes a while to not just taste of, well, whiskey when you first start out I found but you'll soon start getting all the little nuances. I used to hate it, and now can't understand how anyone can't love a good malt.
I watch Ralfy, but more for general information on the whisky in hand and not his personal opinions. His notes are too long and too obscure to be taken seriously. I mean, according to him everything samples like lapsang souchong and pickled ginger marmalade covered pine nuts. It's simply ridiculous how far he goes, and worse yet...how many people in his audience even know how those smell/taste. In the meantime he misses the simplest, strongest notes in some whiskies like St. George's. Not anywhere in his review of that whisky did he mention a beery, brown ale note.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 28, 2012

lolercoasterrr
Mar 27, 2006

lololololololololllllll
Thanks for the advice everyone; my glenlivit and balvenie come tomorrow so im excited to try the even more beginner ones!

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
What's the general consensus on whiskey rocks? I received a set for Christmas as a stocking stuffer.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

FingersMaloy posted:

What's the general consensus on whiskey rocks? I received a set for Christmas as a stocking stuffer.

Gimmicky, and don't really do a great job of chilling the whiskey. Oddly enough Cooks Illustrated did a review of them in their magazine and din't really like any of them. I think they found that chilling the glass was the most effective way to cool your whisky down - if that's your thing, that is.

Also, after a great deal of hemming and hawing, I ended up using a bit of my Christmas money towards this:

I figured I had enough peaty whiskies, and I needed something lighter and fruiter. It was a gamble, because I've often written off many Speyside whiskies as too boring. Not this one - it's got a hell of a lot of fruit and spicy notes. Very pleasant, and geting a 16 year old whisky, non chillfiltered, no coloring added for $54 is a hell of a deal in my book.

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 28, 2012

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004
The boil on the ass of your happiness

Huxley posted:

Got an Ardbeg 10 as my Christmas bottle.

Hoo boy.

On the good side, I love it and still haven't found my peat limit. On the bad side, my wife won't even sit on the couch with me while I'm drinking it.

If you're into peatiness, I definitely recommend almost anything from Ardbeg. Give a try to the Corryvreckan, next. It's probably my all time favorite.

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004
The boil on the ass of your happiness

kidsafe posted:

Bushmill's? Can't argue with $12 for a 5th. There's plenty of great whisky for ~$30, particularly bourbon. For something like scotch whisky there are many great blends at or under that price point and a few single malts.

I drove up to Giant's Causeway a few months back and was pleased to discover that Bushmill's was a couple minutes away from it, so I stopped in. I tried a bunch of their stuff but what I ended up liking the most was the Irish Honey, which I believe is new make, more or less. It tastes like mead and whiskey had a baby.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NightConqueror posted:

Also, after a great deal of hemming and hawing, I ended up using a bit of my Christmas money towards this:

I figured I had enough peaty whiskies, and I needed something lighter and fruiter. It was a gamble, because I've often written off many Speyside whiskies as too boring. Not this one - it's got a hell of a lot of fruit and spicy notes. Very pleasant, and geting a 16 year old whisky, non chillfiltered, no coloring added for $54 is a hell of a deal in my book.

Not to mention cask strength. :)
(So effectively more whisky for the money.)

Miguel Angel Face
Apr 1, 2012

NightConqueror posted:

Gimmicky, and don't really do a great job of chilling the whiskey. Oddly enough Cooks Illustrated did a review of them in their magazine and din't really like any of them. I think they found that chilling the glass was the most effective way to cool your whisky down - if that's your thing, that is.

I've always thought that if you really want chilled Whiskey you should just keep the bottle in the fridge.

Why you would want to drink chilled Whiskey is the subject of an entirely separate discussion (it seems a waste to me).

P Grey
Aug 16, 2012

I just picked up a bottle of this beauty today. Out of all bourbons this is by far my favourite, with mellow sweet tones and yet full flavour.

I will have to pick up a bottle of Wild Turkey later to compare.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I'm looking to trim my whiskey budget down and switch to things I'm more comfortable going through quickly. So what are some good budget islay/peated blends and lighter speyside blends?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I'm looking to trim my whiskey budget down and switch to things I'm more comfortable going through quickly. So what are some good budget islay/peated blends and lighter speyside blends?

Define "budget". Highland Park 12 is about $45 and is a good Islay. Do you consider that budget?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Stultus Maximus posted:

Define "budget". Highland Park 12 is about $45 and is a good Islay. Do you consider that budget?

Yeah below $50 a bottle basically. I've not heard much about Highland, how does it compare to my current favorite Islay: Lagavulin 16?

positech
Jun 26, 2011

OSheaman posted:

Speaking of bourbon, and I know this gets asked a lot, but does anyone have any sub-$25 recommendations? I am going out for a fancy dinner on the 24th and want to send a bottle of bourbon back to the kitchen as a "Merry Christmas" gift. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! (assume, for the sake of the stereotype, that whatever I send them will mostly be drunk neat or with small alterations).

I realize this is a bit late, but glen moray is my go-to cheap scotch. obviously, not bourbon, but a great whisky regardless.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I did a thing where I mixed a little touch of rum with my whiskey. It tasted kind of like bourbon to me. Was I kidding myself?

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Yeah below $50 a bottle basically. I've not heard much about Highland, how does it compare to my current favorite Islay: Lagavulin 16?

Not a blend but I've always been able to find Laphroaig 10 for under $50 (even if sometimes it's $49.99 :().

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Stultus Maximus posted:

Though both are islands, Islay is in the southwest corner of Scotland and Orkney is at the northern tip. Geography aside, Highland Park is quite different from a classic Islay whisky.

On a budget, I would suggest Islay Mist or Black Grouse for blends. For single malts, Laphroaig 10 was once found as low as US$30, but now it's US$43 just about everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Stultus Maximus posted:

Highland Park isn't an Islay. They're on Orkney. Getting some Highland Park thinking it'd be anything like an Islay peat monster would be a bit of a disappointment. It's a lovely whisky, but the peat is merely a backdrop, not up in your face.

If you want something cheap and peaty, it's hard to go wrong with Black Bottle.