Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
Don't consider the U50 its junk as far as all my research shows me. The UT50 is very good if you can keep the room you're using it in very dark. If you're putting this in your living room right next to the bay windows you'll be disappointed. The ability to calibrate the ST50 is better as well. But the main factor should be placement if you're putting this in your man cave then enjoy your sweet sweet TV.

However, there is one more thing to consider with plasmas. Power costs. The ST50 will use A TON of power compared to most LED TVs on the market especially when calibrated correctly (turn off power saver and grab some settings from avsforum to be wowed) Also their 3d prowess is apparently lackluster and not class leading like their picture is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

What's the difference in power per year? $50 tops? That shouldn't be a factor given the price of TVs.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

weaaddar posted:

Don't consider the U50 its junk as far as all my research shows me. The UT50 is very good if you can keep the room you're using it in very dark. If you're putting this in your living room right next to the bay windows you'll be disappointed. The ability to calibrate the ST50 is better as well. But the main factor should be placement if you're putting this in your man cave then enjoy your sweet sweet TV.

However, there is one more thing to consider with plasmas. Power costs. The ST50 will use A TON of power compared to most LED TVs on the market especially when calibrated correctly (turn off power saver and grab some settings from avsforum to be wowed) Also their 3d prowess is apparently lackluster and not class leading like their picture is.

My roommate did quite a bit of research and ended up getting the u50 from Costco when we moved in. I thought it was a pretty nice TV. I've moved to another state and have a 4+year old vizio 32" that's much too small to be a main TV.

I'm looking for something in the 50-60" range, and right now the U50 is $598. I don't really think I'll find a better prize/size/quality match than that, will I?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I've poked around this thread and a few review sites, and I was planning on picking up the U50 in a few months. The new place I'm moving, though, is going to have a really bright living room.

Is the picture quality on the U50 worth it to deal with a washed-out picture during the day, or is there a comparably priced 50" LCD TV that I could pick up without losing much PQ? I'm on a pretty strict budget of $500-$600.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
46-50" televisions in that range (Amazon prices):

50" Vizio - 60Hz, LCD
47" LG - 120Hz LCD
50" Toshiba - 60Hz LED
46" Samsung - 120Hz LED

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 25, 2012

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Thanks man, I'll take a look at these.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

I'm looking for a tv recommendation. $1200 max. Native 1080p, with deep blacks, and accurate colors. Wi-fi and SMART features not that important. Screen 46"+ (I would like 50"+, but 46"+ is fine). A respected brand name. Low input lag as I will using it for gaming. We won't even have cable, just want the television for gaming and amazon instant/hulu/netflix.

I was thinking this: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIE...=Panasonic+ST50

or this: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-KDL46HX750-46-Inch-Internet/dp/B006U1VGW4/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

The ST50 seems to be pretty popular here, but I am leaning away from a plasma since I live in a house with lots of windows. We have a nice place to put the television that won't get much light, but I'm just paranoid given some reviews I've seen of glare on plasmas versus LCD.

Slavik
May 10, 2009
Good OP its helped narrow down what to look for in a tv. I'm a UK goon with about £500-£600 to spend and after a recommendation for a tv without 3D.

I'm after:
42"-46" (needs to fit in a 120cm wide alcove so screen size can depend on the frame around it)
LED
Good blacks
Recognised brand name
Low input lag.

Not after:
3D
Smart (my Blu-Ray & Xbox covers those)

Anyone have any recommendations?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

LG has had consistently low input lag with their models, though it would take a little hands-on to be sure (Rockband calibration test, etc.)
After a quick Amazon search, here's one you might want to ask to fiddle with, when you're in a brick & mortar:

LG 47LS5600
- LED
- 100Hz
- DLNA and Freeview (whatever that is)
- Not Smart or 3D
- 109cm wide
- Under £600

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011
Hello TVthread, I'm looking for a cheap HDTV, around 42 inches or so to go on a patio. I live in Florida, so the TV will probably melt sooner rather than later due to humidity, but I would like some suggestions on what will survive (and not break my bank to replace).

The TV won't directly be exposed to sun or water, but will still be outside. Quality isn't a huge issue, but obviously it would be best to be able to see it during the daytime. Any goon-sanctioned suggestions?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I've been looking at getting a new TV, preferably something LED backlit in the 42"-46" range. Problem is I've been spoiled by my IPS computer monitor. I found this Panasonic IPS for $548 but it seems to be too good to be true. Is there something wrong with it I'm not seeing? It seems to be about a third less expensive than non IPS screens with otherwise similar characteristics.

I'm open to "no you fool, buy ____" posts. I'm willing to spend about $1,200 max.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Unlike these ballers preceding me (god I wish I could splurge), I'm looking for something a bit more humble for using my PS3 in my bedroom. It'd be on a shelf a few feet away from the foot of the bed. I'm looking for something:
  • larger than 22 inches
  • price limit is $250-ish, but the lower the better
  • 1080p would of course be sweet, but I can deal with 720 I guess

Is this a pipe dream? My searching so far has lead me to believe I can only find extremely unreliable models in that range, but I'm hoping some year-end sales might give me some luck. Ebay shows some shifty deals on 32 inch LGs with no returns so I'm obviously a bit skeptical about that. I just need something dependable and cheap.

Edit: Holy poo poo, nevermind. Just found this deal on woot for a 32 inch, 1080p LCD refurb from JVC that seems to get pretty decent reviews for $200. This something I should jump on? If so, is the $50 price jump (and a $10-ish jump in warranty, which I'm definitely getting) worth it for 5 inches more size?

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 27, 2012

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Unlike these ballers preceding me (god I wish I could splurge), I'm looking for something a bit more humble for using my PS3 in my bedroom. It'd be on a shelf a few feet away from the foot of the bed. I'm looking for something:
  • larger than 22 inches

Is this a pipe dream? My searching so far has lead me to believe I can only find extremely unreliable models in that range, but I'm hoping some year-end sales might give me some luck. Ebay shows some shifty deals on 32 inch LGs with no returns so I'm obviously a bit skeptical about that. I just need something dependable and cheap.

Edit: Holy poo poo, nevermind. Just found this deal on woot for a 32 inch, 1080p LCD refurb from JVC that seems to get pretty decent reviews for $200. This something I should jump on? If so, is the $50 price jump (and a $10-ish jump in warranty, which I'm definitely getting) worth it for 5 inches more size?

Most games actually render below 720p, usually 1024x600 so 1080p won't help at all for gaming. Sorry if you already know this, I just made the mistake of getting a mediocre 1080p screen in college instead of a good 720p one because I didn't' realize it really is MOST games.

The Jenk
Apr 18, 2009
I'm considering picking up a Sony KDL46HX853 for myself. It has fairly glowing reviews around the internet (Though they mostly seem to mention disappointing sound, which is slightly worrying) Has anyone got anyone here got any experience with this TV?

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Most games actually render below 720p, usually 1024x600 so 1080p won't help at all for gaming. Sorry if you already know this, I just made the mistake of getting a mediocre 1080p screen in college instead of a good 720p one because I didn't' realize it really is MOST games.

True, but this is also for Netflix and Blu-Ray usage. And I'm looking around and not seeing anything near $250 for a 37 inch, which is becoming more and more tempting as I look at it.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Is there really a huge difference between 60hz and 120hz? My wife and I are looking to get our first flatscreen, still using my old 27" CRT. Is it worth the extra price, especially considering what we're coming from?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Pez posted:

Is there really a huge difference between 60hz and 120hz? My wife and I are looking to get our first flatscreen, still using my old 27" CRT. Is it worth the extra price, especially considering what we're coming from?

Its not as much 60hz vs 120hz as it is old tech vs new tech, you will probably have an overall better image from a newer 120hz panel, better blacks, better motion, etc..

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Kraven Moorhed posted:

• larger than 22 inches

I don't know if they even make 720p TVs anymore, but the benefits of 1080p on a 22" screen would show up if you sit within three feet of the screen. If you sit farther away you won't be able to see the difference.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Pez posted:

No, not really. I turned 120HZ off on my TV, I don't care for it. Honestly just get whatever fits your budget unless you're looking for some specific feature. That's generally true for almost everyone in this thread. If you need a certain feature, you'll probably already be aware of it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

skipdogg posted:

No, not really. I turned 120HZ off on my TV, I don't care for it. Honestly just get whatever fits your budget unless you're looking for some specific feature. That's generally true for almost everyone in this thread. If you need a certain feature, you'll probably already be aware of it.

You can't turn off 120hz. What you turned off was frame interpolation.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I'm considering buying an HDTV to replace the spare Dell 22" LCD monitor that I'm currently using. It'd be used mostly for PS3 games and occasionally watching sports, so I want something with as little input lag as possible. I'd like something 32" or smaller since I'm nearsighted and sit about two feet from the screen. 1080p for sure. I don't need 3D or any smart TV nonsense and I don't care about built-in audio, OTA tuners, depth, or weight. Price isn't a big issue, though I'd prefer to keep it around $500 or less.

I have no idea who makes good small HDTVs these days (if anyone). Any suggestions?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

PlayStation 3D display.

It's 24", 240Hz, has low input lag, and has none of the things you don't want, except audio and 3D.
And they're rather affordable these days. I saw them for $99 over the holiday, and they won't be higher than $200.

Comes with Motorstorm: Apocalypse!

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 29, 2012

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

The Jenk posted:

I'm considering picking up a Sony KDL46HX853 for myself. It has fairly glowing reviews around the internet (Though they mostly seem to mention disappointing sound, which is slightly worrying) Has anyone got anyone here got any experience with this TV?

Get a soundbar with a subwoofer.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Well I had a great Christmas with friends and family and I got a bunch of the latest and greatest games I asked for but reality hit when I got back home. I hooked up the cheap 26" 720p T.V I'd been using the last couple of years and for some reason it won't display my PS3 in HD anymore. I moved into my new place a couple of weeks ago and am looking for a T.V that would be good for mostly streaming Netflix and gaming in the 2k-2.5k range. I'd go a couple hundred higher if it was something really solid. None of the rooms it would go in have any problems with natural lighting and it will be wall mounted.

Edit: Any opinions on Samsung? Specifically the UN60ES8000F or should I just suck it up and go with a Sony XBR? Any other brands or models I should be looking at?

Cenen fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 29, 2012

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I had a chance to see the ES8000 when I was checking out the Panasonic plasmas, and I gotta say, I thought it was the bee's loving knees.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

If you're really tracking this in the OP, I recently bought a Vizio M3D___KD (470 for me), and have been very pleased with the picture quality but a bit nonplussed by input lag, even in game mode. But I play Street Fighter so others' milage may vary :shobon:. Also, while the smart apps themselves are well designed, the UI is slow to respond to input. Overall happy with the purchase though. $730 at Sam's Club, but it appears to be out of stock right now.

toplitzin posted:

So if 3d is no big deal, is there any reason to go to the st50 over the u50?

Slavik posted:

Not after:
3D
Smart (my Blu-Ray & Xbox covers those)

This should also go in the OP - 3D and Smart features are no longer features you're really paying for. They've dropped in price now to where you have to actively seek out TVs without them, and when manufacturers leave them out, it's because they're trying to make a "value" TV and usually cut corners elsewhere, including throwing in a worse display panel.

EDIT: Holy run-on sentence Batman.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Regarding 3d glasses, just get the ones made by my TV's brand? In this case Panasonic?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Regarding 3d glasses, just get the ones made by my TV's brand? In this case Panasonic?

For 2012, Samsung and Panasonic's Active 3D glasses are compatible with each other's televisions (not sure about other brands).
If your TV doesn't include any, I'd just look for the cheapest/least goofy set.

And I'll probably make a sub-FAQ that addresses marketing/feature related questions (refresh rate, contrast, 3D, SMART, etc.).

Kvothe
Feb 22, 2008
I love spoiling books for people, because GRRM is such a faggot and I want to spread my hatred to everyone!
So I'm looking to get a TV to fit my living room. The LN32B640R3F I've been using for the past 3.5 years or so just doesn't fit my new space. I mainly use it for gaming, netflix/hulu, and for hdmi video output from my PC when I want to watch some HD video on the comp. If it gives you any idea of what I'm looking for, I've always been happy with the performance of this TV.

All the following specs I want are loose and based on things I've heard paired with a little bit of minor research. I want something in the 55"-60" range, 120Hz refresh rate, LED display, at least 2 HDMI + 1 Component input, in the ~1100-1400$ range, and one of the following brands: Samsung, Sony, or LG.

I don't necessarily need a smart TV since I use my PS3 for all streaming services I need. However WIFI might be a nice addition for using my PC as a media server. I would like the new "slim" look but it's not a deal breaker without. And I don't really care for 3D unless it just happens to be the icing on top of a great TV.

Today in Sam's I noticed the UN55ES6003 for 998.00$ which still shows up at ~1300$ on amazon. Any opinions on this specific model? Shaving a little off my TV budget would help me swallow the dining room table purchase but I do want a really nice gaming TV.

edit: I think I may now be leaning ot the UN55ES6100. I saw the UN55ES6150 for 50$ less but having trouble finding the exact differences.

Kvothe fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 31, 2012

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

So anyone have any experience in buying TV's within the next month? Figured some of the best deals to be had all year was during Super Bowl time. Need a pair of tv's for my virtual pinball cabinet. I have been long out of the tv buying game for quite a few years.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Panasonic Plasmas seem to be pretty popular around here and are getting rave reviews around the net. Any drawbacks to plasma Vs LED? I'm pretty much stuck between the Samsung ES8000 and the Panasonic TC-P65VT50. I'm pretty sure at this tier they should both be pretty good products but I just want something that when I pop my copy of Black Ops 2 in I go "nice". A quick answer would also be appreciated since there is a CRAZY good deal on the TC-P65VT50 that is over by the 1st.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 31, 2012

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
This is a more general question; I'm not generally an early adopter and my current setup is an old (2005) 42" 480P "ED" Panasonic plasma, which for me does a fine job with standard DVD, and a reasonable job scaling down HD content. I'd like something bigger and better, but I'm kind of concerned with how well a 50" 1080p display will handle my collection of standard DVD. I'm not at all keen to re-buy everything on blu-ray. Is the scaling of 480p source material good on new 1080p displays?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Cenen posted:

Panasonic Plasmas seem to be pretty popular around here and are getting rave reviews around the net. Any drawbacks to plasma Vs LED? I'm pretty much stuck between the Samsung ES8000 and the Panasonic TC-P65VT50. I'm pretty sure at this tier they should both be pretty good products but I just want something that when I pop my copy of Black Ops 2 in I go "nice". A quick answer would also be appreciated since there is a CRAZY good deal on the TC-P65VT50 that is over by the 1st.

Plasmas' only drawbacks are image-retention, and overall brightness. And burn-in can be avoided by remembering to turn the bloody thing off before you fall asleep on the couch ;). As for brightness, just don't have it face a window, and you'll be fine. The 2012 Samsung and Panasonic (HDMI slot 1) plasmas have a "PC Mode" that eliminates most of the picture processing effects, allowing for less input lag for gaming. For LEDs, it's hit or miss, and will require internet-sleuthing to know what's fast, and what isn't. AVSforums is typically up-to-date. SRK also has a list, but I don't think they update their OP.

TL;DR get the plasma.

Number_6 posted:

This is a more general question; I'm not generally an early adopter and my current setup is an old (2005) 42" 480P "ED" Panasonic plasma, which for me does a fine job with standard DVD, and a reasonable job scaling down HD content. I'd like something bigger and better, but I'm kind of concerned with how well a 50" 1080p display will handle my collection of standard DVD. I'm not at all keen to re-buy everything on blu-ray. Is the scaling of 480p source material good on new 1080p displays?

As long as the scaling is done by the playing device before it reaches the television (and is set to the TV's native res), it'll look pretty good. I used a PS2 Slim, and my new Sony BDP-S590, and they both upscale to 1080p nicely. Even Black Dynamite, with its Super 16 format and 70s film grain, looks fine in my opinion.
In fact, I'll pop in The Good The Bad and The Ugly to compare. I just bought the Blu-Ray version of my DVD. I love Sergio Leone flicks... :allears:
Personally, I only plan on buying a select few in Blu-Ray, and leaving the rest as DVD. Gonna rip 'em to an HDD at some point too, so I can shove them out of the way into a box, and make space.

Mr.Trifecta posted:

So anyone have any experience in buying TV's within the next month? Figured some of the best deals to be had all year was during Super Bowl time. Need a pair of tv's for my virtual pinball cabinet. I have been long out of the tv buying game for quite a few years.

What do you mean by "pinball cabinet" exactly? Are you going to lie the TV down at an angle, like the glass on a pinball machine, or put a monitor in a standard upright arcade cabinet?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 31, 2012

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Thanks for the reply! What's the deal with input lag being such a big deal now? I don't think I ever really heard of it before the last couple of years. I used to play COD 4 on some mid range Sony Bravia back in the day and I don't think I ever really had a problem. Is it just something about input lag with newer TV's being worse or is it more or less the same and it just gets brought up because it exists?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

A couple of years ago, organized, professional console (PC players doing this: :jerkbag: right now) gaming didn't really exist. When you play for cash, you look for every advantage you can find. In Evolution Fighting's case, they looked to standardize the monitors used. Wannabes, fans, and aware people also look to improve their game, and this awareness spreads, albeit slowly, quietly, and exclusively through the internet. In SA's Games forum alone, there's typically hundreds, to thousands browsing at any given time, and their :science:, :spergin:, and :bandwagon: mentality means there's a noticeable awareness here than would be in say, Samsung's official forums.

Depending on the games played, and the person playing them, it can be quite noticeable at the 50ms+ mark (~3+ frames), especially with frame-sensitive games like fighters and rhythm games. With shooters, it's easier to subconsciously compensate for, as players are already used to internet lag/framerate dropping.

That flat-panel televisions have had 1-7 frames (min. 1) of input lag hasn't changed, though which TVs have had it worst has. 3-5 years ago, any "S"-brand television (Sony, Sharp, etc.) was guaranteed worse input lag than say, LG, or Panasonic. And LG using three different panels for any given model didn't help any, either :argh:. Cheaper TVs in general were usually better about it too. But picture processing effects keep getting added, and as they trickle down to cheaper sets, it becomes more of a crap shoot. Outside of bringing a console, Rockband and a RB guitar, there's no easy way to determine it for a given TV. At some point a marketing exec will stumble upon using it as an advertising bullet, but who knows when that'll happen, or how accurate it'll be.
Currently, "Game Mode!" :pcgaming: is as elaborate as they get in this area. For some brands, this turns off some of the picture processing. For others, it's literally just a colour palette change.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 31, 2012

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Holy crap everyone on the web loves the P65VT50 until I went on the AVS forum and saw page after page of those guys talking about IR and image burn. Now I know most of them are probably super nit picky enthusiast but it's got me spooked now. It seems like a shame since everything I'm reading is that while the ES8000 is a great TV the P65VT50 is better.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

AVSforum really requires a shaker of salt (and a bottle of tequila, because they'll drive you to drink).

To hear them tell it, half of all plasmas have a buzzing sound loud enough to be confused for a bug-zapper. :rolleyes:

As for image-retention, unless you're deliberately looking for it, on a very bright screen, it'll be unnoticeable unless you leave a static image for like, an hour or more. For 2012 TVs, it's overblown in my opinion. I've seen it maybe three or four times since buying mine in November, and it never lasted longer than a minute. A MINUTE (probably less). I didn't bother with the bullshit image slide "break-in period", either.

Also, I bought mine sight unseen.
I only knew about the next lower Samsung (PN51E550), last year's model (D6500), and the ST50 in person.
I took a chance at my lovely pay, and I couldn't be happier having done it.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 31, 2012

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Baaaah I went my whole life with mid range TV's with mid range screen sizes and was perfectly happy. Reading about IR this and ghosting that and clouding when you watch a perfectly red screen at a 60 degree angle totally takes the fun out of this. Hopefully I can get to the best buy tomorrow and try and get a peak at a ES8000 since I can get one for $400 less then the Panasonic.

Edit: Also my back button doesn't work on that AVS forums site and gently caress that noise it's inconvenient and the only other site that has done that to me was some virus laden porn site.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 31, 2012

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

For $400 less, I'd give it serious thought.
If you want to make a fashion statement as well as acquire serious performance hardware, I don't think the ES8000 can be beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

What do you mean by "pinball cabinet" exactly? Are you going to lie the TV down at an angle, like the glass on a pinball machine, or put a monitor in a standard upright arcade cabinet?

The TV lies flat down, notced inside a cabinet, just like a playfield would be in a pinball cabinet and there would be another tv, say a 32" used as the blackglass display in the backbox. Essentially it is two tvs +- a monitor/dmd for scoring and you have part of your machine.

Looking to purchase a 46" and a 32" LED respectively.