Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Did you see the revengeance design for mistral?

She has a lot of arms, but 3 of them are reserved for molesting herself.

And 2 for putting sassily on her hips.

Then she has a bunch of other arms... that she arms herself with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Sword guns is nothing new, even when people actually still used melee weapons for bashing each other's faces in and gunpowder was a new thing there were some weapons with a "hidden shot" in the handle for a sneak attack. Olga's knife from MGS2 actually had something like that. But putting an explosive piston on your Japanese sword to make it draw faster is just a hilarious stupid/awesome original idea.

So how about that arbiter eh? It's slow and strong :geno:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
There must have been a competition at NT of "How can we make the most boring-looking weapons ever".

MGR gets gun-katana-sheathes, arm-spears, a talking robo-dog companion with a buzz-saw tail, DMC-esque music, invincible backflipping cats, the ability to slice through everything, a sombrero costume, and a DLC skin of a character people have wanted to play as for years, and a combat system that is pretty solid and engaging, and fun.

If I were NT or Capcom, I'd be sick with loving envy.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

MGR gets gun-katana-sheathes, arm-spears, a talking robo-dog companion with a buzz-saw tail, DMC-esque music, invincible backflipping cats, the ability to slice through everything, a sombrero costume, and a DLC skin of a character people have wanted to play as for years, and a combat system that is pretty solid and engaging, and fun.

If I were NT or Capcom, I'd be sick with loving envy.

But does it get an engaging storyline that'll not offend mature gamers? Does it have deep commentary on the modern world's problems? Does it have dynamic weapon changing? Check and a loving mate :colbert:

All of this gently caress, gently caress, gently caress you reminds me of Dead to Rights:Retribution.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Szurumbur posted:

But does it get an engaging storyline that'll not offend mature gamers? Does it have deep commentary on the modern world's problems?

Kojima. :smug:

Szurumbur posted:

Does it have dynamic weapon changing? Check and a loving mate :colbert:

Sub-weapons you can switch to that you get off bosses, and other guns and poo poo. And carboard boxes with their own mini-sombrero. :smugbert:

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
I have to admit I actually laughed at the exchange of fucks in the demo. I have the sense of humour of a 5 year old and I get the impression they were just going for immature there... which I'm down with.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Szurumbur posted:

All of this gently caress, gently caress, gently caress you reminds me of Dead to Rights:Retribution.

They should add a feature where you can tell Vergil to attack people so he can bite their balls off with his creeper face. Now he's motivated.

I wonder if NT included allowing Vergil to sheath his katana for generating style points. It was probably my favorite little touch in 3 and 4. There could be hope considering people have mentioned how the Vergil DLC seems much closer to the spirit of the original games.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

SurrealityCheck posted:

I have to admit I actually laughed at the exchange of fucks in the demo. I have the sense of humour of a 5 year old and I get the impression they were just going for immature there... which I'm down with.

Honestly, if they'd add a "Scream 'gently caress YOU!'(with varying enunciation)" button in place of a Taunt button, that'd be neat and a good design choice.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Kojima. :smug:

Sub-weapons you can switch to that you get off bosses, and other guns and poo poo. And carboard boxes with their own mini-sombrero. :smugbert:

I am undone :negative: Where's the MG:R demo, anyway? I've been trying to find it on EU and NA PSN, but to no avail.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Szurumbur posted:

I am undone :negative: Where's the MG:R demo, anyway? I've been trying to find it on EU and NA PSN, but to no avail.

Rather annoyingly:

wikipedia posted:

A demo was included in the Zone of the Enders high definition collection that was released on October 30, 2012. A public demo of Revengeance was released in Japan on December 13, 2012, becoming the first region-locked demo on the PlayStation Store. The demo will be released in North America on Xbox Live Marketplace and PlayStation Store in the following month.

:argh:

[e]: Kamiya has another Bayonetta Dev commentary up. Anyone with any interest in the behind the scenes of Bayonetta, or some of the references to his other games, should watch these. They're pretty interesting.

"<Yep.>"

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 28, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The demo is also included with the ZoE HD Collection, in true Kojima fashion.

Pesky Splinter posted:

a sombrero costume

A sombrero costume that also puts a sombrero on your cardboard box.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]: Kamiya has another Bayonetta Dev commentary up. Anyone with any interest in the behind the scenes of Bayonetta, or some of the references to his other games, should watch these. They're pretty interesting.

"<Yep.>"

Waiting a bit is not so bad, I can manage, even though I'm hype as hell :v:

This "famous Japanese meme" refers to "itchy scratchy" file, doesn't it?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

MGRR is being written by someone else, so there is the possibility that the storyline may actually be good. :allears:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Szurumbur posted:

Honestly, if they'd add a "Scream 'gently caress YOU!'(with varying enunciation)" button in place of a Taunt button, that'd be neat and a good design choice.

If they did this and made it so he says it with different levels of enunciation based on your style rank, I would buy the game day one.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

If they did this and made it so he says it with different levels of enunciation based on your style rank, I would buy the game day one.

At D rank it's a quick, mumbled "gently caress you", and at SSS he screams it at the top of his lungs. That would be hilarious, made even better if they actually went self-aware with it.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Schubalts posted:

The demo is also included with the ZoE HD Collection, in true Kojima fashion.

A sombrero costume that also puts a sombrero on your cardboard box.

Is this revengeance? I've been completely ignoring this game, and that sounds like a huge mistake on my part.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Yup, it's Revengeance. It's being made by Platinum. The thread has a lot of videos.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3454395

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ah, DMC3's Mission 15. You're still as lovely as you were seven years ago with your antiquated-rear end camera angles, infuriating hazards in what your level designer considers "platforming", tedious backtracking, and an enemy composition full of the worst enemies in the game to fight. You're still the worst thing in a game I drat near consider the perfect action brawler, and probably the only mission I won't bother to S-rank out of principle.

At least DmC's platforming looks more like it's boring rather than rage-inducing.

vvv: gently caress Bloodgoyles and their bullshit splitting gimmick since they seem to be the only monster in the game that can initiate attacks from off-screen. Also, I cannot wait to unlock Vergil so I can run a train on those loving Fallen and their ridiculous movement speed and attack range.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 28, 2012

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Playing through DMC3 again it really is crazy how bad some of the enemy design in the game is. Specifically the ridiculous number of enemies that phase through walls and are just no fun to fight (the guys with the jewels in their back, the mists that phase in and out, and the fallens).

I really love the combat in DMC3 the best (Gunslinger, Shotgun/Artemis, Rebellion/Nevan OWNS) but gently caress is it frustrating to fight the enemies sometimes.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

GUI posted:

MGRR is being written by someone else, so there is the possibility that the storyline may actually be good. :allears:

Huh, I didn't know that :)
Either way, the writing seems pretty good from what's been shown thus far. As long as it's slightly goofy, I'll be contented.

[e]:

:neckbeard:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 28, 2012

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

Huh, I didn't know that :)
Either way, the writing seems pretty good from what's been shown thus far. As long as it's slightly goofy, I'll be contented.

Slightly goofy?

You're going to be over the mooooooonnnnn

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Best thing about MGS to me is all the :qqsay: about how MGR is not a true MGS game and its going to ruin the franchise forever.

Cause you know, MGS has always been a super serious military drama that strives for realism in every iteration.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Best thing about MGS to me is all the :qqsay: about how MGR is not a true MGS game and its going to ruin the franchise forever.

Cause you know, MGS has always been a super serious military drama that strives for realism in every iteration.

I don't know what you mean.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 28, 2012

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know what you mean.

You really should turn the game console off, you'll ruin your eyesight playing so close to the screen :smith:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Warning! A huge tangent approaches:

I played the Metal Gear Rising demo through a couple times last night. It's probably not quite as tight as Bayonetta, but it feels like a Platinum action game and a Metal Gear game at the same time. You can chat on the codec channels whenever you want, there's a ton of extra details, there's random philosophizing with murderous robots and generally a lot of crazy poo poo going on.

It's set a few years after MGS4, so the setting is full-blown cyberpunk now - full-body cyborgs and sentient AI's are commonplace, but it still feels like MGS.

Gameplay-wise, the big difference between it and Bayonetta is that there's no dodge or block button. Your only defensive option is parrying, which you do by simultaneously attacking and pushing the stick at an attack just as it's about to hit. You can parry bullets by dashing directly towards them, too. Hyper-aggressive all round, basically. Your primary healing method is to slice cyborg enemies open and rip out their juicy nano-organs.

One thing I dig is the use of music. There's various layers to the main theme. You've got the general electronic/drum-centric base tune, then a heroic guitar chorus that kicks in when you're using Blade Mode (the free-slicing gimmick, which is pretty rad - you can trigger it any time on smaller enemies, and after weakening bigger ones a bit), and a vocal layer that kicks in during big finishes. You can see/hear this in this boss fight footage, which I assume happens very early in the game as you still have the MGS4 HUD at that point - it changes later on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWbdFE47bTY

There's an edge of Shinobi (PS2) in there, but all in all, it probably feels more like DMC than the new DMC. Go figure. The bitching over it somehow ruining the series is utterly insane, as it's a spinoff by a third-party studio that'll be followed not long after by another MGS prequel.

Oh, and it runs at 60fps for the most part. On the PS3.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 28, 2012

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
The guy who did the game guide for Bayonetta has posted a few revengeance videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsuFLq6lFYg

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Fellows.

I am eagerly anticipating MGR as well, but come on. We have a dedicated thread for it.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
My bad, I always forget this isn't the "Kamiya and family" thread :P

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
AS if there was anything exciting for DMC. :v:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Well, there are those videos posted by Reive, last page:

One of which shows Mundus' baby in action. With two health bars for some reason.

A new enemy from NT "We don't give a gently caress, just stick a skull on 'em" range.

And Vergil using summoned swords.

He also uses a version of rapid slash, dimension slash and helmsplitter.

Of note, Vergil lacks Dante's weapon select icon (presumably he just has the Yamato and the swords). His DT gauge is also different. Perhaps he lacks one, and his "DT" is the doppelgänger he uses in one of the other videos?

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 28, 2012

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Wasn't following MGR but oh poo poo day one buy.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I can say for sure I like what the new summoned sword look like, so I guess there's that :geno:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
It's shapin' up to be a middle-of-the-road-mostly-OK-I-guess brawler! Like Dante's Inferno! :thumbsup:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > DmC: Donte's Inferno

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

notZaar posted:

Fellows.

I am eagerly anticipating MGR as well, but come on. We have a dedicated thread for it.

I remembered there was a thread about it, but I haven't seen it on the first page in quite a while, and the game is almost out already? In fact, this thread has literally 3x as many posts in it. :laugh:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

There's not as much stupid flowing from Platinum and Kojima as there is flowing from Ninja Theory and Capcom.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
That and Platinum Games has a tendency not to show off three-quarters of the game before it's released.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Are Virgil's summoned sword all the same or do they have multiple different types? Cause if they put in actual effort into the latter option, that would be pretty cool.

I still can't get over his method of swinging with grab points. That's such a bad idea. How the gently caress did people not squash it the second some moron mentioned it?

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

SSNeoman posted:

Are Virgil's summoned sword all the same or do they have multiple different types? Cause if they put in actual effort into the latter option, that would be pretty cool.

I still can't get over his method of swinging with grab points. That's such a bad idea. How the gently caress did people not squash it the second some moron mentioned it?

It's hard to tell because they look a bit stretched in those screenshots. In DMC3, though, Summoned Swords were all just semi-transparent versions of Force Edge. I think the oddly shaped ones in the screenshots are just the same ones, but distorted as they spawn in or are fired off.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Schubalts posted:

There's not as much stupid flowing from Platinum and Kojima as there is flowing from Ninja Theory and Capcom.

To be fair there's lots of stupid flowing out of Kojima. But platinum can take stupid and polish it to a mirror shine of awesome.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

SurrealityCheck posted:

To be fair there's lots of stupid flowing out of Kojima. But platinum can take stupid and polish it to a mirror shine of awesome.

Almost every other Kojima tweet is a picture of some kind of food, it's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is DMC4 still worth playing? Specifically the PC version? I am afraid that playing Bayonetta will have spoiled me on these games.

• Locked thread