Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Molten Llama posted:

Glass alone blocks UV (at varying degrees of efficacy). :science:

Depends on the specific chemical composition of the glass, but most glass you encounter does block UV to some extent. Tanning lamps and other UV sources have to use a glass composition specifically designed to not block UV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Sardikar posted:

Oooo who did you use who ships to Australia?

central-cal-marine on the ebays.

Free shipping in the U.S. but of course they charge for intl.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I made my wagon sound mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9aR-BTiGK4

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Dug myself around the pile the brain-damaged or possibly vengeful idiot the landlord hired to plow the driveway left me. Of course it had hardened into cement by the time I got to it.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Noise Complaint posted:

Dug myself around the pile the brain-damaged or possibly vengeful idiot the landlord hired to plow the driveway left me. Of course it had hardened into cement by the time I got to it.

I assume that is you in front? How adorable. You almost had a bump to go over to the left.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
I put this motor

and this resistor

into this heater unit

then I shoved it into my dash

Then I adjusted the valves. On Christmas. Merry loving Christmas car repairs. Not pictured; replacing the interior climate control lights so I can see my heater settings in the dark.

It's almost ready to get rid of; I've already found and fell in love with it's replacement and I'll drop a hint; it's the one with the Hemi.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Viggen posted:

I assume that is you in front? How adorable. You almost had a bump to go over to the left.

I can't pull the car forward from there at all in order to back it out that way. It goes downhill on grass. I would never get it out if I went forward.

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008
Not technically today, but I put new shocks and springs in my Miata.

Back

Front

It was surprisingly easy, only took a couple hours. I'm quite proud of it, being the first time I worked on anything suspension. Also they're red, so that's +5hp each at least!

Before:

After:

So low!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Took the car for a drive a couple of streets to the supermarket. Nothing remarkable on its own. I was more curious if the aircon still worked. I think it did. The car heat soaks pretty bad so it takes a while for the hot air to be purged from the vent system.
Checked the pressure when I got home. Still fine. Must have just been the heat.
Although when the aircon was broken, if I tried using anything other than vent on the climate control it would mercilessly pump hot air out sometimes. Been wondering if it has a sticking heater valve.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I installed a new stereo and speakers. It has been two years since it has had one and I am finally re-registering the car to break in the new engine. Sadly i discovered a random fuel leak and need to pull the upper... Maybe Monday.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Mezmerized Machine posted:

Not technically today, but I put new shocks and springs in my Miata.

Looks so much better, stock gap on the Miata is pretty insane.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Not today, but in the last week I've replaced my foglight bulbs since one was noticeably dimmer than the other, installed half of the interior LED kit I had left over from my S4, ordered a set of H&R coilovers, and made a horribly impulsive purchase of 20" wheels, tires & spacers. Can't wait until spring now.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sold my 2004 MDX with 270k miles, lovely timing belt, lovely power steering, turn signals don't work, for 4k.

Leased a '12 civic :feelsgood:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Changing brakes on the Civic tomorrow. Also talked my dad out of getting ripped off. He bought an '01 Ranger as a project, and it doesn't start. Not even a starter click. It's been sitting at the mechanic's shop for two weeks now with nothing being done. They did charge him for a new fuel pump to the tune of $400. Ouch. Told him to pull it out of the shop and I'll chase down the electrical demons within a day. I hope I'm right.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Finished a 6-day tour of Tasmania today, back in Hobart. No problems at all on the trip, 1500km, camping, back roads, bogans, etc. All I did, besides practice my cultural anthropology skills listening to rural servo attendants with no teeth describe their new card-reader for the pumps, was tighten up the loose nut on the parking brake cable. This seems to be a thing cars do after a while, that nut (or both, in cars with two) seem to get loose and the parking brake doesn't really grab and you almost roll into a tree when you pull off the road to fail to take pictures of birds on roadkill.

Where was I? Oh yeah, the passenger-side wing mirror glass fell out when I parked it at home - I park on the street, with the passenger side buried in a hedge because the street is narrow. I think it's unbroken, but lying on the ground in a position I might not be able to avoid driving over getting the ute out of its parking space, either forward or back.

What's a good adhesive for sticking a side mirror back on? Where's a good place to get replacement mirrors in Australia? 2001 Ford Falcon XR6 ute.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I finally changed the oil, being 1k miles overdue. On a 196k motor that makes me nervous. I did send a sample off to Blackstone just to see what they find. I'm excited!

However, there's something wrong with going WOT at about 5k rpm. It falls on its face like it's losing spark and briefly flashes a CEL. The stomp test gets me a Fuel Pump Relay error (1261) so I'm grabbing one tomorrow to see if that works. It's the strangest thing I've ever seen. Any ideas?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Beach Bum posted:

I finally changed the oil, being 1k miles overdue. On a 196k motor that makes me nervous. I did send a sample off to Blackstone just to see what they find. I'm excited!

However, there's something wrong with going WOT at about 5k rpm. It falls on its face like it's losing spark and briefly flashes a CEL. The stomp test gets me a Fuel Pump Relay error (1261) so I'm grabbing one tomorrow to see if that works. It's the strangest thing I've ever seen. Any ideas?

You're probably not getting enough fuel/pressure at WOT and that makes it stumble.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

Agree with the above poster that it sounds like a fuel delivery issue but did this JUST start happening? Or is this a new vehicle you bought and it's something you just noticed now that you're taking it to 5k rpm? It'd be odd in my experience for a fuel pump to fail only at high rpm. I'd be looking for a leak somewhere on the rail.

Question for the lighting experts, since we were talking about it just now in the thread: I recently had to replace a 9004 headlight bulb (in my 96 pathfinder) and noticed that sylvania, in addition to making replacement OEM bulbs, make varying levels of improved ones as well. The ones that they had at the vendor I was buying from were the 'ultra', which according to their website are the top tier for 9004 plug-and-play format:

I'm wondering if there is any actual improvement from these or whether it's marketing hype. Sylvania is a fairly reputable company but theres so much bullshit and hype in the automotive lighting industry I honestly can't tell what's real anymore. If anyone has tried these or knows about them I'd love to hear your review.

Edit: Found this somewhat well-done review on youtube. I wonder how much worse the lighting would be on my truck without the really clear housings that you see on this guy's honda and other new vehicles.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 30, 2012

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Beach Bum posted:

Might not be bad to change your fuel filter, either. Its made a big difference on my E30s as well as my brothers high mileage 318ti

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

VelociBacon posted:

Question for the lighting experts, since we were talking about it just now in the thread: I recently had to replace a 9004 headlight bulb (in my 96 pathfinder) and noticed that sylvania, in addition to making replacement OEM bulbs, make varying levels of improved ones as well. The ones that they had at the vendor I was buying from were the 'ultra', which according to their website are the top tier for 9004 plug-and-play format:

I got the Ultra (replacing both at once) in my 900. They were better than the ones that blew, but those were at least 10 years old. I compared to another-new 9004 that I had obtained, and they seemed a bit brighter, but I can't actually offer any wavelength or other data to back it up. They were both 65w.

On that note, I have a handful of 9006 bulbs that are now (also) worthless to me, new in box. Anybody want to pay shipping for them?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

What's a good adhesive for sticking a side mirror back on? Where's a good place to get replacement mirrors in Australia? 2001 Ford Falcon XR6 ute.

Not a clue with the glue type but hopefully someone can chip in. I guess a Ford dealership for mirrors? I ended up caving and buying an entire new electric mirror assembly on eBay just so I could unclip the glass and use it on mine. Worked out cheaper than a trip to the extorsionists wreckers or the dealership. The self adhesive convex mirror I stuck to the backing was driving me nuts and I didn't want the police to see it because I had doubts on its legality.

Lost that mirror in loving Bartertown when some P plater saw me starting to merge from a distance and nailed it to try to squeeze through. Instead he nailed the side of the car with enough speed to push it over to one side, scrape the whole side of his car and brely come to a stop before the red light up ahead. And I was considered at fault. A police car even drove past ignoring the whole thing. They wanted thousands of $ to respray a loving Magna. /:argh:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
It's not fuel; it's like it is literally hitting a revlimiter and I lose all power instantaneously.

I'm uploading a video of it soon.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

I'm wondering if there is any actual improvement from these or whether it's marketing hype. Sylvania is a fairly reputable company but theres so much bullshit and hype in the automotive lighting industry I honestly can't tell what's real anymore. If anyone has tried these or knows about them I'd love to hear your review.

Edit: Found this somewhat well-done review on youtube. I wonder how much worse the lighting would be on my truck without the really clear housings that you see on this guy's honda and other new vehicles.

I didn't watch the video, but I've used the top sylvania light before and the only issue I had was I was going through a set every 6-8 months in the miata. They burn out really fast. Switched back to standard bulbs as a result. They're definitely brighter just not worth 60$ every 6 months.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

It's not fuel; it's like it is literally hitting a revlimiter and I lose all power instantaneously.

I'm uploading a video of it soon.

Sounds like a coil pack issue actually, not sure what ignition system your vehicle uses however.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Sounds like a coil pack issue actually, not sure what ignition system your vehicle uses however.

DME>Single-Coil>Distributor

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
My poor Falcon hasn't been driven much lately since I got a job in the city. So when the rellies piled into it I get weird CELs and the immobiliser has been activated. :negative:

Luckily it turns out that all that merely means the battery is a little too low. Go figure. So I hooked it up to the trickle charger all day and by evening time it's good as ever.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ I had to read that three times to understand the :australia: Good on ya, mate! (am I starting to blend in, yet?)

Replaced the passenger-side mirror on my Falcon (which might also be having battery issues, come to think of it).

What is it with not being able to get everything I need at one shop? I went to an automotive glass place, they said they'd do it but they just outsource the actual glass to the general glass shop down the street. That shop was closed until Thursday, but a phone call to another auto glass place, who also use the general glass shop, led me to a third windshield shop. They told me they couldn't cut mirror glass there, but their other location could. Off I go, where I am told they cannot remove the mirror assembly (or even just the plastic backing plate), having broken too many in the past; a full-service mechanic would have the specialized tools for it. Bugger that, I pulled the plate with a screwdriver. Then they templated and cut the glass for me (and gave me a small discount because their safe wasn't accessible and he didn't have proper change), and explained the procedure - screw the plastic back in, THEN attach the glass. Obviously. But no adhesive there, must go to the very busy hardware store with the impossibly convoluted car park entrance/exit. Ugh.

This is somehow reminiscent of my head-unit upgrade from a few weeks ago - to get all the parts I needed to hit 4 different shops. And two separate shops for the locks and struts for the tonneau cover. I could build an entire house from what's on the shelves at a good hardware store, and I could cook every meal for a week from what's at a good supermarket, why can't I complete a repair of a trivial part of a car from any one single shop? All of the people at all of the shops have been very friendly and extremely helpful, but I buy stuff for the stuff, generally, the good service is just a bonus.

Actually putting it all back together was easy. $30 for the custom-cut mirror, plus about $6 for a tube of adhesive I'll find other uses for.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

What is it with not being able to get everything I need at one shop?

Welcome to Australia. Getting things done is a strategy game and requires advance planning, and lots of phone calls to avoid a massive runaround.

Suppose you can see why I got lovely and just bought an assembly on eBay.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Not my ride, ACEofsnett's. Finally found a good rust free donor to get a cab corner cut from at the JY a few weeks ago, so now it's time to finish fixing the advanced case of cab corner rust he had going on :unsmigghh:

Before (random piece of threaded rod tacked in as a support brace while I repaired the extensive rust in the pinch weld and corner of the floor/firewall)

A few hours with the die grinder, dead blow, angle grinder, etc turned a cab corner cut into this

All done!

Left a few spot weld tabs on the leading edge unfastened as I need to get the rock sliders in and modify the fender well a bit before I can decide how to set that part up.

I probably could have slapped it together in a few hours but it seemed worth it to do it right.

Now that that's out of the way, the back corner of the cab needs the same treatment (MUCH simpler - nowhere near as many layers of sheetmetal involved and most can be duplicated in a few minutes with a doorjamb and some 16ga rather than requiring a stamped replacement panel) and then we can finish putting the rock slider / rocker replacement tube in. It shouldn't rot out again for another 30 years after all is said and done.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

TrueChaos posted:

I didn't watch the video, but I've used the top sylvania light before and the only issue I had was I was going through a set every 6-8 months in the miata. They burn out really fast. Switched back to standard bulbs as a result. They're definitely brighter just not worth 60$ every 6 months.

:science:

This is because Silverstars (and similar products) use blue coated/tinted glass. Since halogens produce most of their light in the warm/yellow end of the spectrum the blue glass cuts down on the lumen count, and the manufacturers have to overdrive the bulb to generate more light to compensate.

Aside from making no real-world difference in lighting ability they are also more expensive and have shorter lifespans. There's pretty much no reason to buy blue bulbs unless your headlights' appearance really bothers you and/or you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Geoj posted:

:science:

This is because Silverstars (and similar products) use blue coated/tinted glass. Since halogens produce most of their light in the warm/yellow end of the spectrum the blue glass cuts down on the lumen count, and the manufacturers have to overdrive the bulb to generate more light to compensate.

Aside from making no real-world difference in lighting ability they are also more expensive and have shorter lifespans. There's pretty much no reason to buy blue bulbs unless your headlights' appearance really bothers you and/or you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

The ones I've seen aren't the tacky blue color but just a nice, clean white. Still I agree it doesn't seem worth it.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I've decided to try Philips X-Treme Power H4 this year. I keep mainstream spares as well in the car/bike.

http://www.motobulbs.co.uk/2012/06/the-best-motorcycle-bulbs-put-test/

I've definitely noticed a difference going from mainstream Bosch bulbs to the Philips in my car. Haven't tried them on the bike yet. (Stupid snow)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

VelociBacon posted:

The ones I've seen aren't the tacky blue color but just a nice, clean white. Still I agree it doesn't seem worth it.

You're confusing a light blue tint seen on otherwise high quality bulbs from mainstream manufacturers (ie, Sylvania, Bosch, PIAA, Hoen, etc.) with the heavily colored ricer bulbs that go for $5/pair on ebay. The light still appears to be white, but you're paying extra for a slight cosmetic change that comes at the expense of longevity and output. Blue bulbs actually put out less light than the standard variety despite being overdriven.

Excellent write-up here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/good/good.html

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Geoj posted:

You're confusing a light blue tint seen on otherwise high quality bulbs from mainstream manufacturers (ie, Sylvania, Bosch, PIAA, Hoen, etc.) with the heavily colored ricer bulbs that go for $5/pair on ebay. The light still appears to be white, but you're paying extra for a slight cosmetic change that comes at the expense of longevity and output. Blue bulbs actually put out less light than the standard variety despite being overdriven.

Excellent write-up here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/good/good.html

No, the bulbs I'm talking about did not have a blue tint or film to them, the glass was clear. I knew they were overdriving them though, more light output means hotter, which is why they died faster. Definitely better on the light output though. I ran one standard bulb and one sylvania for about a week, and the colour of the light was nearly identical between the two, the sylvania just had more light if that makes sense.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Today I fixed the top pull down motors, replaced the boot cover struts, and applied Krylox to the Allante's weatherstripping.

At $20+ bucks an ounce, I was hesitant about buying the Krylox. It's worth it. It completely eradicated all squeaks and rattles. Thanks to my bud in the Corvette club for the tip!

Also pulled one of the Bose assemblies to see if I could rebuild the amps.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Not what I did but what I'd like to do. Is it poor form to run a compressor on new years day? I need to check pressures on the car, and pump up the ones on the quad and pocket chopper before their beads break.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
It's what 10 am local?

I would

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax
Battling the driver's side tie rod end of my Corolla. It's soaking in Inox right now waiting for round two. Oh god my arms...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Drove the poo poo out of it for 14 hours of delivery. :smithicide:

Timing chain is rattling really bad on a cold start now, and always rattles slightly while idling.. and there's so little room between the timing cover and strut tower that I'm really not comfortable handling it myself. My last regular mechanic quoted "600-700" to replace the entire timing set (including P&L), I'll probably take him up on that. Hopefully before the chain snaps, or digs its way into a coolant passage..

Ziploc posted:

I've decided to try Philips X-Treme Power H4 this year. I keep mainstream spares as well in the car/bike.

http://www.motobulbs.co.uk/2012/06/the-best-motorcycle-bulbs-put-test/

I've definitely noticed a difference going from mainstream Bosch bulbs to the Philips in my car. Haven't tried them on the bike yet. (Stupid snow)

I've had X-Tremes in my car for... poo poo.. nearly 2 years? The bulbs that came with the car were Sylvania, date-stamped.. from 1998 (car was built in 12/98, I bought it in 2010).

One of the Phillips bulbs died about a week ago. I picked up the cheapest bulb at Wal-Mart (Sylvania), and threw it in.. leaving the X-Treme Power bulb in the other lamp.

They look loving identical side by side (both looking at the car head-on and via beam pattern), though I'm sure the existing X-Treme Power bulb has a bit of wear on it. The X-tremes do claim a higher amount of lumens, but I honestly can't tell the difference side by side with a brand new low end bulb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Lurch posted:

Battling the driver's side tie rod end of my Corolla. It's soaking in Inox right now waiting for round two. Oh god my arms...

INOX is the poo poo. I'm considering buying one of the bottles of it rather than the aerosol.
Oddly yesterday I was looking at a cheap padlock I have that of course lives outdoors. Ages ago on a whim when I noticed its loop bit was covered in rust I rubbed it down with a paper towel covered in INOX I was using on some tools. The padlock is still a nice treated blue with no brown spots. It's as good at rust treatment as it is unseizing things.

Oh, didn't end up running the compressor. Other things happened including heading in because of wasps again. Cannot find their nest. I've gassed all the other ones I've found.

STR, your car is begging you for help. I know I said it before but timing chain failures of any kind will seriously ruin your day. Damnit I miss the Magna. Comfortable car but a chain issue killed it. Sure I was actually offered a free motor but I wasn't able to go get it :( Now everything else feats on it for parts.