Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Keyboard Kid posted:

That was probably Deepdiscount, but it's not currently that low.

They currently have it for 40 or so with free shipping. And crazily enough, the have the import dvd set 6 for around a hundred if that's your thing, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!

Famibomb posted:

I received the gift of the Retro Game Master DVD set today for Xmas.

It's a Christmas miracle!

Me too, finally getting around to Mighty Bomb Jack.

Hey Inoue, you are THE BEST. (I guess Arino is pretty cool too)

EDIT: Still watching now. hey Urakawa didn't mean to neglect you

MORE EDIT: random kids loving around! failed live event! Live extension! Best episode ever! Royal Room 13 must have gone down in infamy

geri_khan fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 26, 2012

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Hey Zari-gani, I remember that about a year ago you mention that you were willing to help with the Retro Game Challenge 2 translation but didn't know how to get in touch with them. Apparently they're looking for new translators and have a e-mail address to contact them.

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 26, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I have a trivia question for everyone.

There are two games that are officially tied for the longest challenge for Arino. What are those two games? However, those two games are not the game that has been played the longest time as a challenge. What is that game?

The two longest single challenges are Super Mario World and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Both clocked in at 30 hours of play. The word is that Super Mario World may be slightly longer than Zelda.

As for how long a game has been played for challenges, Quest of Ki wins hands down. Quest of Ki across two full episodes and one live special wound up taking 35 hours, 50 minutes. Lemmings was played for 33 hours, 42 minutes. Super Mario Brothers 3 was played for 32 hours 55 minutes. Pilotwings doesn't even come close at 27 hours, 30 minutes.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

There are two games that are officially tied for the longest challenge for Arino. What are those two games? However, those two games are not the game that has been played the longest time as a challenge. What is that game?

The two longest single challenges are Super Mario World and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Both clocked in at 30 hours of play. The word is that Super Mario World may be slightly longer than Zelda.

As for how long a game has been played for challenges, Quest of Ki wins hands down. Quest of Ki across two full episodes and one live special wound up taking 35 hours, 50 minutes. Lemmings was played for 33 hours, 42 minutes. Super Mario Brothers 3 was played for 32 hours 55 minutes. Pilotwings doesn't even come close at 27 hours, 30 minutes.

What games has he cleared very fast (<6 hours):

Fastest: Ninja Spirit on PC Engine Mode took 2hrs 10mins
2nd Fastest: Pa Rappa the Rapper took 4hrs 30mins

Did he clear any other games in under 6 hrs?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Random Stranger posted:

Out of curiosity, where does Mighty Bomb Jack rank on this list? From the amount of footage on the DVD set, it seems like it took quite a lot of hours, too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Out of curiosity, where does Mighty Bomb Jack rank on this list? From the amount of footage on the DVD set, it seems like it took quite a lot of hours, too.

The stage show looks like it took a while but it was only two hours of playing. That brought the total for the entire thing to 17 hours.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Viscous Soda posted:

Hey Zari-gani, I remember that about a year ago you mention that you were willing to help with the Retro Game Challenge 2 translation but didn't know how to get in touch with them. Apparently they're looking for new translators and have a e-mail address to contact them.

Thanks, I sent them an e-mail.

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*

zari-gani posted:

Thanks, I sent them an e-mail.

I consider this a small personal victory.

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi
So I finally broke down and ordered a 3DS. It hasn't arrived yet, but I've heard that you can watch your own 3D videos on it. Has anyone had any luck watching the 3D Game Center CX episodes? Better yet, has anyone watched any of the translated ones in 3D with subtitles? (If it wasn't obvious enough, I don't have access to the Japanese Nintendo Channel.)

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
None of the subtitles or the videos the subtitles are on are shot for 3D and that's not going to work out if that's what you ordered it for. Sorry to disappoint you.

Also you won't be watching any of the Nintendo Channel ones ON your 3DS unless the 3DS you ordered is Japanese.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

You can only watch the 3D GCCX episodes through Nintendo Video on a Japanese 3DS. Every other region 3DS has their own respective Nintendo Video content.

EDIT: Whoops! They're on the JPN eShop and can't be downloaded either. Streaming only!

Also, the "watch your own 3D videos" basically just means playback of 3D videos you recorded using the 3DS Camera and a few trailers on the eShop.

Welp, beaten, but not a big deal.

Volfogg fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 27, 2012

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi
Hmm, well this site appears to have instructions for encoding 3DS 3D video. I just assumed the 3DS could read the video off the SD card or something.

I'm not sure if any of those videos floating around have both the left and right video channels, but I was thinking you could just re-encode it replacing one side with the subtitled video if that was the case.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
That assumes, baseline, that your source is 3D.

Note that 3D filming requires an entirely different way of being shot than standard filming. GCCX, being a normal TV show, does not do 3D. Unless you're talking about somehow trying to get the source videos from the Japanese Nintendo Channel and re-converting them? Somehow? To which I say "best of luck".

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 27, 2012

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi

Caitlin posted:

That assumes, baseline, that your source is 3D.

Exactly. I'm not sure what the process is for ripping videos like this one from the Nintendo Channel, but I don't see why the original rip wouldn't have been in 3D. Granted it may have been in a format the 3DS video player isn't compatible with, but it still seems like it might be possible to convert it.

edit: guess you extended your post

Caitlin posted:

Note that 3D filming requires an entirely different way of being shot than standard filming. GCCX, being a normal TV show, does not do 3D. Unless you're talking about somehow trying to get the source videos from the Japanese Nintendo Channel and re-converting them? Somehow? To which I say "best of luck".
and yes, that's what I would like to try to do. if nothing else just get the raw episodes converted into a format the built in video player can play in 3D.

orochi fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 27, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The process for running custom videos on 3DS is a complete pain in the arse and not at all worth the effort.

I have no idea if anyone managed to rip the raw .MPO files for the GCCX 3DS episodes (they're only available intermittently, so you can't just download 'em whenever you want) but even if they have, you're gonna be watching video capture from a 2D game for the vast majority of the time, so it's not really a big deal.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The process for running custom videos on 3DS is a complete pain in the arse and not at all worth the effort.

I have no idea if anyone managed to rip the raw .MPO files for the GCCX 3DS episodes (they're only available intermittently, so you can't just download 'em whenever you want) but even if they have, you're gonna be watching video capture from a 2D game for the vast majority of the time, so it's not really a big deal.

It's not Nintendo Video btw; they're always on the eShop. They're just streaming-only, like the game trailers on there, if you're familiar with that, so some serious hacking/interception would be needed.

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Dec 27, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^Oh, fair enough. Someone said they were on Nintendo Video so I just went with it, I don't have a JP 3DS so I couldn't confirm/deny either way.

In that case, I imagine the only dumps you're gonna find are from people with capture-modded 3DS units, and last time I checked they still weren't able to output 3D footage.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

It's me. I'm the person spreading lies.

I just assumed they'd be put on the JPN Nintendo Video thing. I don't have a JPN 3DS myself either and just wish someone would find a way to break the region lock without doing anything else to the 3DS...but that's never going to happen.

But yeah, regardless of where the videos are, the only way someone would be able to get the original 3D video is by getting it straight from Fuji or Nintendo, and neither is going to happen.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Volfogg posted:

I just assumed they'd be put on the JPN Nintendo Video thing. I don't have a JPN 3DS myself either and just wish someone would find a way to break the region lock without doing anything else to the 3DS...but that's never going to happen.

Not that Nintendo don't deserve it.

I take a very dim view to any company action that prevents me from legaly buying poo poo.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I played around with the 3DS and its video/picture capabilities quite a bit, and it's really not worth the trouble.

Videos are limited to 10 minutes long, so if you want to encode an entire feature-length movie you'll need to break it up into chunks. You then also need to get the content to and from the 3DS, which involves removing the SD card, popping it into your PC, copying your content, and then putting it back. Getting the SD card in and out of the 3DS is an enormous pain in the rear end, probably at least partially done to discourage people from copying their content on and off the thing.

Your video source must be some form of 3D, which means it needs separated video for each eye. Upconverting 2D films into 3D is something that has yet to really be done "well", things like Titanic 3D involved making 3D meshes by hand of what was going on on-screen to bump up the image that way, which took several people I think years and millions of dollars to do. There were 3D YouTube videos at one point in time (as in YouTube actually recognized them as 3D material and you could customize the 3D format it fed it to your computer in), but these were few and far between and I have no idea if they killed it or not.

The Nintendo 3DS is pretty heavily locked down, with no working flash carts or firmware hacks; the best anyone has managed is figuring out the HTML addresses for the downloaded Nintendo Video stuff, and then reprogramming their router to intercept requests to the service so they can locally serve up their own Nintendo Video choices, including ones downloaded via HTML from another region. This, of course, requires that the person setting this up downloads the movie in question while it's available on Nintendo Video, and I don't think anyone's figured out how to actually make their own from scratch. Nintendo has absolutely learned from their security weaknesses in the Wii and original DS, and I strongly suspect the days of efficient flash carts and firmware hacking are likely behind us.

Nintendo is unbelievably obsessed with control. Someone in the Retro Gamer thread posted a scan from Nintendo Power where they were discouraging people from importing Super Famicoms (this was in the months prior to the U.S. release). Nintendo wants every country to be in its own bubble with its own content. You want to access this other content and are willing to pay for the privilege? Too bad. Hell, they've even put a curfew on M-rated purchases from the Nintendo shop in Europe! How's that for control? And yet they've only once lost money.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

univbee posted:

Hell, they've even put a curfew on M-rated purchases from the Nintendo shop in Europe! How's that for control? And yet they've only once lost money.

I thought that this was implemented due to German laws.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Nintendo having ridiculous control over their platforms is what made them. I'm sure the people in this thread don't need a history lesson about the state of the gaming industry right before the NES and what the result was of having "open" platforms with no quality control. This is Nintendo, it's been successful for them for ~30 years and I doubt they will change any time soon.

I personally hate the idea of closed systems and closed software, I run Linux and all the software I write is released under the GNU GPL. I get it, but it's also saying something that my favourite gaming platform is the SNES. If you're reading this thread chances are you are also a fan of at least one of their platforms so they obviously did/do something very "right".

Nintendo is Nintendo and I honestly think that this type of control is so ingrained in the company that apart from a complete takeover by another entity this aspect of them will never change.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Xik posted:

Nintendo having ridiculous control over their platforms is what made them. I'm sure the people in this thread don't need a history lesson about the state of the gaming industry right before the NES and what the result was of having "open" platforms with no quality control.

One of the things that really hit me about that Gamasutra interview article about the early days of Nintendo Power was them admitting YES it was marketing. Of course it was. But they still had to do a good job and recommended good games and help consumers because they were so afraid of what had happened before the NES scaring away consumers again.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Xik posted:

Nintendo having ridiculous control over their platforms is what made them. I'm sure the people in this thread don't need a history lesson about the state of the gaming industry right before the NES and what the result was of having "open" platforms with no quality control. This is Nintendo, it's been successful for them for ~30 years and I doubt they will change any time soon.

Nintendo is Nintendo and I honestly think that this type of control is so ingrained in the company that apart from a complete takeover by another entity this aspect of them will never change.
Oh bullshit and horse manure. The Gameboy was a region free console as was the GBC, the GBA and the DS. For 20 years, they had a perfectly working system, nothing was going to suddenly explode if I could play Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey on my DS, bought with my own money, thank you very much.

In comes the DSi and it all goes to poo poo; we still don't have Devil Survivor Overclocked, never-mind DS 2, I dread to think when (or if) I'll get to play the likes of Shin Megami Tensei 4 or Etrian Odyssey 4 and then there's the frustration of the online shop. Nothing says a good time when someone has a certain game, let's say Secret of Mana, in their store and you can't buy it for love nor money.

Nintendo fired the first shot on the Handhelds and it was pointed at their own foot.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oh bullshit and horse manure. The Gameboy was a region free console...

You are right that the handhelds did seem to traditionally have more freedom then the home systems when it came to regional lockouts. I wasn't just talking about regional lockouts though. The entire Nintendo ecosystem is locked down; from the developer to consumer, they have always kept an iron-like grip on the content available.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

Nintendo fired the first shot on the Handhelds and it was pointed at their own foot.

Tell me more about how Nintendo, for all their faults, doesn't have the most massively successful handheld and iron-clad grip on the handheld market. :allears:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

ConanThe3rd posted:

In comes the DSi and it all goes to poo poo; we still don't have Devil Survivor Overclocked, never-mind DS 2, I dread to think when (or if) I'll get to play the likes of Shin Megami Tensei 4 or Etrian Odyssey 4 and then there's the frustration of the online shop. Nothing says a good time when someone has a certain game, let's say Secret of Mana, in their store and you can't buy it for love nor money.

I don't think a very, very small minority of people who want obscure Japanese import games is going to kill off Nintendo's stranglehold on the handheld gaming industry. I think SEGA might be able to pull it off if they ever released a new handheld, if only for name recognition and the fact that SEGA hasn't released any kind of console in ages. Die-hard fans would go nuts, and with the right marketing and bells-and-whistles we might see another Genesis scenario but for the handheld market.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

Tell me more about how Nintendo, for all their faults, doesn't have the most massively successful handheld and iron-clad grip on the handheld market. :allears:
Well, dunno what to say, I haven't bought a Nintendo console since. 3DSXL has tempted me but then I remember that I'll be stuck where I am now as I wait for P4A and suddenly that £150 feels a lot more tempting elsewhere.

Tewratomeh posted:

I don't think a very, very small minority of people who want obscure Japanese import games is going to kill off Nintendo's stranglehold on the handheld gaming industry.
It's not Japanese import games I want (Though, I do own Jump Ultimate Superstars) it's the US imports of games that don't get released in the UK for whatever dumb esoteric stupid reason Atlus decide on this time around.

Like I said, I have no investment on a console that I can't play the games I want to play on them.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Tewratomeh posted:

I don't think a very, very small minority of people who want obscure Japanese import games is going to kill off Nintendo's stranglehold on the handheld gaming industry. I think SEGA might be able to pull it off if they ever released a new handheld, if only for name recognition and the fact that SEGA hasn't released any kind of console in ages. Die-hard fans would go nuts, and with the right marketing and bells-and-whistles we might see another Genesis scenario but for the handheld market.

I bet it will have at least 4 screens and you charge it by plugging it into the top of a sega genesis. I think the only thing that will knock nintendo out of the handheld markets are tablets or phones.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

cosmicjim posted:

I bet it will have at least 4 screens and you charge it by plugging it into the top of a sega genesis. I think the only thing that will knock nintendo out of the handheld markets are tablets or phones.

And it'll take eight D batteries, but I don't care. I'll be in line on day one to buy one, and love all ten of the games for it.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

Well, dunno what to say, I haven't bought a Nintendo console since. 3DSXL has tempted me but then I remember that I'll be stuck where I am now as I wait for P4A and suddenly that £150 feels a lot more tempting elsewhere.

It's not Japanese import games I want (Though, I do own Jump Ultimate Superstars) it's the US imports of games that don't get released in the UK for whatever dumb esoteric stupid reason Atlus decide on this time around.

Like I said, I have no investment on a console that I can't play the games I want to play on them.

But, again, like Tewratomeh said, you do understand that while it does suck, you are in a significant minority on this and their decision to keep region locks the way it is will probably not affect their market share on any sort of appreciable level anytime soon, right? That they're not actually "shooting themselves in the foot" about this?

vv also I blame the EU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Tewratomeh posted:

Theres a huge issue with European markets never getting releases. The old method was just to import American versions of the game, but Nintendo essentially locked that method out. Its disingenous to say its a small minority of people when you are dealing with everyone in the EU and Australia.

Also, gently caress Nintendo for not releasing Rocket Slime 2, and also keeping me from importing a Japanese copy of Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest 3 :colbert:.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

But, again, like Tewratomeh said, you do understand that while it does suck, you are in a significant minority on this and their decision to keep region locks the way it is will probably not affect their market share on any sort of appreciable level anytime soon, right? That they're not actually "shooting themselves in the foot" about this?

vv also I blame the EU
No, probably not. I just think that in non-fighting mongoose universe, where they did not gently caress around with the region locking situation for the 3DS, Non-Fighting Mongoose me has a 3DS and a Wii U by this point.

Them locking the 3DS has pushed me over to Sony's stuff where this poo poo is limited to Persona 4 Arena, more or less.

But I digress, funny japanese man doing let's plays, go.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011
Region code discussion?

So, is Male Itou still on the show on some level, or is he completely out in favor of the brand new rapping AD I don't remember the name of?

Edit: Thanks for the super speedy answer, guys!
VVV

Erwin Tuwonwon fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 29, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

So, is Male Itou still on the show on some level, or is he completely out in favor of the brand new rapping AD I don't remember the name of?

Itou has officially graduated from the show and been replaced by AD Matsui.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

Region code discussion?

Itou had his eight months on the air which is actually about typical for AD's before they move on to other jobs. Toujima, Nakayama, Katayama, Inoko MAX, and Emoto were all the on air AD's for about 8 to 10 months. Takahashi 2 almost cracked the year mark, a distinction only held by Sasano and Urakawa, but that was unusual.

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
:dukedog:
Buglord

ConanThe3rd posted:

I thought the reason was always "we don't have a branch in Europe and thus have to convince some publisher over there to put out our games." Have they ever said they deliberately chose not to make a Euro release for any of their games?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

We were told there would be more GCCX prior to the end of the year! The end of the year is in 3 days! I hope it happens. :ohdear:

vv :rimshot:

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Caitlin posted:

The end of the year is in 3 days! I hope it happens. :ohdear:

Don't worry, I'm sure the year will end.