Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

99 Cherokee in the shop right now, coworker thought it was a starter failure based off their description of the symptoms and how it would just click. Turns out the 4.0 is siezed.

Woops.

How. How does this happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Turns out the 4.0 is siezed.

Behold, a god who bleeds!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Turns out the 4.0 is siezed.

As in seized by the police because someone tried to use black tar heroin as lubricant?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

thelightguy posted:

As in seized by the police because someone successfully used black tar heroin as lubricant?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

99 Cherokee in the shop right now, coworker thought it was a starter failure based off their description of the symptoms and how it would just click. Turns out the 4.0 is siezed.

Woops.

Please tell me it's because the owner decided to run it on sand instead of oil.

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

Woops.

Nah.. Pull the plugs and drain the coolant out of the cylinder(s). Then replace head/gasket and drive 350K miles more.

Calling shenanigans on the seized 4.0L.... Unless there are moving parts that left the crankcase, the 4.0 is unstoppable.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Some friends of mine saw one toss a rod through the block wheeling Sunday, then make it up the obstacle on 5 cylinders and drive back to the trailer after, so I'm not too sure that is accurate either.

I am rather curious how someone managed to seize a 4.0. :stare:

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Years ago, I think in the Jeep thread, I posted photos of the bent and twisted rods out of a buddy's Cherokee's 4.0. He hydrolocked while wheeling, and then drove it home about 30+ miles.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Slack3r posted:

Nah.. Pull the plugs and drain the coolant out of the cylinder(s). Then replace head/gasket and drive 350K miles more.

Calling shenanigans on the seized 4.0L.... Unless there are moving parts that left the crankcase, the 4.0 is unstoppable.

Well, it practically is a tractor motor.

Devyl posted:

Please tell me it's because the owner decided to run it on sand instead of oil.

Guess they found a new way to smuggle drugs: In the oil.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

So what models/years is this a problem on? My wife wants to get a used Impreza hatchback in the semi-near future :ohdear:
Seems to mostly be a problem on the 2.5L turbo models, because Subaru is cheap and brazed the pickup together instead of properly welding it. Cat Terrist got bit by it too I believe.

You can get an aftermarket pickup from a few vendors (such as Killer B). I've yet to see an NA motor with a broken pickup though I did see a turbo 2.0L pickup shatter once when the front suspension collapsed taking a jump on a rally stage and the car bounced off the oilpan..

I had my pickup replaced two years ago and it wasn't that bad, just had a few small scratches on it. I put in a Killer B pickup and crank baffle.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Weren't there cases of mechanics being unable to destroy 4.0's with the silica stuff they poured in during Cash for Clunkers?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

amenenema posted:

Weren't there cases of mechanics being unable to destroy 4.0's with the silica stuff they poured in during Cash for Clunkers?

Yes, there were a couple cases local to me that I know that had issues killing their 4.0s.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
No signs of coolant loss anywhere. We managed to crank it over about ten degrees with a 5 foot breaker bar on the crank nut and then it just stopped there. Looked in through the oil fill cap and the oil appeared to have solidified :v: Nada on the dipstick either.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Pour a couple of pints of thinners into the oil & let it sit overnight, bet it'll crank right up after.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Please tell me you're going to get to tear it down and not just push it back out the door.

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008

amenenema posted:

I don't know if they used silica on this one, but... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RATW0-Oy3OY

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I hope the horn survived. :ohdear:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

grnberet2b posted:

I don't know if they used silica on this one, but...

They may not have done anything at all. That looks pretty much like how my in-laws' Grand Cherokee ran all the time.

:ssh: they didn't take very good care of it

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I got my car back from the mechanic last Friday but didn't have time to check out the new clunking noise until today.

Those are the bolts that hold the trailing arm on on the passengers side :stare: I thought it was the swaybar links making the noise because I knew they needed to be done. I've been driving it like that for almost a week.

The last pic is a missing bolt from the e-brake cable but still, what the gently caress? This is why I don't trust people with my car.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Hah holy poo poo. What repair was it in for?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Just the 4 trailing arm bushings. They only put in the front 2 and told me the back ones were gonna be "4 more hours of labor" and "that they were fine". Also new snow tires but those have been great.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Is that a Subaru? The front ones are the hardest because the bushing is encased in a metal sleeve. The rears pop right out. Also there are nice poly bushings you can put in there.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
You're going to tell us about when you go back there armed with a crowbar, right?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea its my Forester. I brought some Whiteline bushings for them to put in because I'd like to upgrade all the bushings eventually. It pisses me off because I brought it to a mechanic to save my time and now I have to spend today doing the back ones anyway.

I can't bring myself to make any jokes about violence after what happened here last week :( I did call and bitch though so maybe I can get a break on labor or something next time I go in. I bring my work trucks to these guys and they usually do an awesome job which is why I brought my car in this time.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Billy Tully posted:

Yea its my Forester. I brought some Whiteline bushings for them to put in because I'd like to upgrade all the bushings eventually. It pisses me off because I brought it to a mechanic to save my time and now I have to spend today doing the back ones anyway.

I can't bring myself to make any jokes about violence after what happened here last week :( I did call and bitch though so maybe I can get a break on labor or something next time I go in. I bring my work trucks to these guys and they usually do an awesome job which is why I brought my car in this time.

Uh, I'd go double-check your work trucks right now. Who knows how long they have been pulling this poo poo?

KyleQ
Aug 7, 2011
First the diff-

Then the idiot machinist who ground the flywheel and not the mating surfaces as well

And finally a Spec 3+ clutch that just didn't care for my launching technique... I put a few thousand miles on the clutch with a slight vibration, one day it got really bad..

.... and now I don't mod my daily driver anymore :D

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

KyleQ posted:

First the diff-

Then the idiot machinist who ground the flywheel and not the mating surfaces as well

And finally a Spec 3+ clutch that just didn't care for my launching technique... I put a few thousand miles on the clutch with a slight vibration, one day it got really bad..

.... and now I don't mod my daily driver anymore :D

That reminds me of the orange VW camper that's essentially been half way round the world. In one of their pre-trip work sessions they went and got their flywheel machined. When they put it back in it leaked like a bitch. It would seem that some dopey rear end trainee clamped the surface the oil seal runs on for the lathe. poo poo of a thing to discover once it's back together and running.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
An object lesson in not using a loving sledge to try and get a shifter mount back in.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crustashio posted:

An object lesson in not using a loving sledge to try and get a shifter mount back in.

Is it just the mount?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

CommieGIR posted:

Is it just the mount?

Yeah, I just cracked the ear off. I was test fitting new poly carrier bushings (that aren't designed very well) and was basically trying to get the pin through. I had my sledge handy so I picked that up instead of my rubber mallet, and that is the end result.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

grnberet2b posted:

I don't know if they used silica on this one, but... [jeep]

Why oh why did I look at the comments for that video. Must be punishment for watching the automotive equivalent of a snuff film.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Crustashio posted:

Well, if you're adventurous you can just replace the back section of the transmission housing. I don't know if you can weld that back on. Otherwise that trans is trash.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You could probably AlumaWeld that back on, unless the cast aluminum has too much oil soaked into it. Then it will just plain suck.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

You could probably AlumaWeld that back on

Oh, that's a good point. I always forget about that stuff. I've seen some pretty decent repairs with it, and that looks like a good candidate if it gets prepared properly (i.e.: not just birdshitting on top of the crack).

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Looks like neat stuff judging by youtube videos, but I can definitely see loving that up myself. Per Motronic's suggestion I'll try to get someone who's good at TIG welding.

Otherwise I'll just try to get a new trans. It's a ZF 320 that was used in all e36 M3s + 328s, and some e39s and e46s as well. ~400 for a good unit.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Tough part is going to be jigging it to be in the right spot and surface prep. I would bevel to half the thickness of the tab, clamp or mount it to make sure the pin goes straight through (maybe even leave it in while brazing) and then fill the bevel in. If you are afraid it won't be strong enough, run a bead down the other side too.

IIRC harbor freight sells alumaweld in small quantities.

E: clean the motherfuck out of it with chlorine free brakleen (preferably a mix that contains only acetone and heptane to avoid toxic smoke) and preheat lightly with a torch to burn any residue off and you will be much happier trying to braze it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

Tough part is going to be jigging it to be in the right spot and surface prep. I would bevel to half the thickness of the tab, clamp or mount it to make sure the pin goes straight through (maybe even leave it in while brazing) and then fill the bevel in. If you are afraid it won't be strong enough, run a bead down the other side too.

IIRC harbor freight sells alumaweld in small quantities.

E: clean the motherfuck out of it with chlorine free brakleen (preferably a mix that contains only acetone and heptane to avoid toxic smoke) and preheat lightly with a torch to burn any residue off and you will be much happier trying to braze it.

Surface prep yes. Jigging it no. That tab has a friend next to it with an interference fit pin. Getting it in the right place should be dead easy.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Transmission? From what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Well who filled the pan with gravel?