Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just saw a thing on Miiverse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TinKelp posted:

I thought the reason was always "we don't have a branch in Europe and thus have to convince some publisher over there to put out our games." Have they ever said they deliberately chose not to make a Euro release for any of their games?
That approach might as well be a deliberate choice to not publish. If N1 can open and operate a European branch, (through Koei, granted) and not fail to publish a game, if even that means publishing to psn/XBLA, heaven forbid then they have no excuse to go with thier dartboard approach and poo poo like P4A is on them.

Really sorry to drag this on but let's put this in context. I gave DiscoTeck my money, I got legal GameCenter CX. I was willing to give KOTAK my advertising eyes and they gave me nothing.
I think we all know which one came out on top.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

I just saw a thing on Miiverse

This has been driving me insane trying to remember. What episode is that from?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Novasol posted:

This has been driving me insane trying to remember. What episode is that from?

Quest of Ki, after the soul-sucking 94th floor.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I was watching the Doreamon episode where Arino and Toujima struggle with the western game descriptions and it made me think how bad Arino (and Toujima) is with english. For some reason I've had this idea that the japanese are at least somewhat familiar with english, as it's used so much in games and media, but if Arino is any guide, it probably applies to younger people or the people who are interested in western games and media in general. I'm guessing the english alphabet is what makes it so hard for Arino, although he might know some phrases phonetically?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Azazell0 posted:

I was watching the Doreamon episode where Arino and Toujima struggle with the western game descriptions and it made me think how bad Arino (and Toujima) is with english. For some reason I've had this idea that the japanese are at least somewhat familiar with english, as it's used so much in games and media, but if Arino is any guide, it probably applies to younger people or the people who are interested in western games and media in general. I'm guessing the english alphabet is what makes it so hard for Arino, although he might know some phrases phonetically?

I wouldn't judge Toujima too harshly there. His English has come in handy on other parts of the show and he just had trouble parsing some confusing advertising copy from the back of a game box. When he needed to read the text for Hulk Toujima was doing just fine.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Azazell0 posted:

Only very recently did Japan make English lessons a mandatory part of standard education so older people with no real schooling in the language are going to be bad at it, that goes without saying.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Azazell0 posted:

I'm guessing the english alphabet is what makes it so hard for Arino, although he might know some phrases phonetically?

Well, he can read the English alphabet. During Rainbow Islands, he's piecing together the sounds that the letters would make. He even makes a pun. I think it's just that understanding what it is he's saying in English is where his difficulties are.

I mean, the only analogue I can come up with is Spanish for me. Back in high school, when I had to take a foreign language, I could speak passably in Spanish. You know, nothing too complicated, but I could tell a police officer that "A cowboy murdered the substitute teacher on the beach by the food stand."

Now, over 10 years later...

Excuse me a second...

10 years later, I barely remember anything except how to make the sounds. I'm just guessing that your average Japanese person doesn't have much occasion to actually use the English language in their day to day lives.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Azazell0 posted:

Once you teach English to someone who's truly new to it, you gain an appreciation to how much of a nonsensical pain-in-the-rear end language it is; why is "one" spelled that way? Why are there words that are written the same but actually different words based on context (e.g. there are least two different pronounciations of read, wind, dove and a shitton of other words)? It's also very different from Japanese, and the mandatory English lessons are often a joke and a lot of the time based around memorization; even someone who goes through their school lessons and does "well" at them would be horribly lost at even moderately complex or non-standard dialogue and phrases. Japanese sentences are generally built in a different, almost reversed order compared to English, which further adds to confusion if you try to translate really long sentences and the like (e.g. most subtitles that break a sentence up into two parts will have most of the elements of the 1st half in the 2nd set of English subtitles and vice-versa, and can screw up comedic/dramatic timing). Japanese verbs are...is agglutinant even a word in English? Which is to say that you modify verb tense by changing the verb ending, and can daisy chain them if you're expressing a complex enough idea. So if you combine the conditional, imperative, autotransitivity/self-transitivity, and negative, you can say something like "if you don't want me to force you to eat yourself" in Japanese using only one word (albeit a long one): 食べさせられなければ (tabesaserarenakereba) - note: my Japanese is lacking, I almost surely hosed something up. See? I learned Japanese for several years for a few hours a day and struggle to formulate basic ideas, so too do the Japanese with their...what is it, one hour a week of English?

People generally learn the English alphabet through romaji, in a way, since it's used with one of the computer typing methods in Japan on PCs (it can also be used on cell phones but is less common because of a more efficient input method on there). Their appreciation for how English words are pronounced often comes from this; this is pretty much Arino's ga-meh o-be-ra joke.

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 29, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

univbee posted:

Japanese sentences are generally built in a different, almost reversed order compared to English, which further adds to confusion if you try to translate really long sentences and the like (e.g. most subtitles that break a sentence up into two parts will have most of the elements of the 1st half in the 2nd set of English subtitles and vice-versa, and can screw up comedic/dramatic timing).

I've often wondered about this when watching the show. To me it sounds like Arino is delivering the punchline before the setup and I'm surprised that the people in the room wait until he has finished talking to register what the joke is.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

I wanted to say something similar but stopped short. Much like any high school language course, it's all based on memorization for tests and not a functional understanding of the language. They learn English like we might learn French or German and 5 years after school ends they've forgotten about as much as we have(maybe a bit less since English is slightly more universal) and that's that. Unless they're constantly interacting with English speaking people and studying the language on a frequent basis they're never going to learn more than a very rudimentary basis of the language.

Here's something about TOEFL(Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores and how Japan is really, really bad at this whole English thing. They're trying hard to change that amongst the youth but it's going to be a long road.

http://www.ets.org/Media/Research/pdf/TOEFL-SUM-2010.pdf

Basically what it says is Japan clocked in at 104 of 113 groups of non-native English speaking people at writing, reading, speaking, and understanding English.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
Yeah, even as someone whose Japanese is absurdly elementary (I can ask you where the toilets are and if you'd like to go out to eat with me all day long, but not a ton else) I realized very quickly that the information delivered in subtitles was not being relayed in the same order as the spoken information. I think it would take an INSANELY skilled translator to find a way to mimic that timing in English, if it's even possible without making the English sound totally unnatural.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

univbee posted:

Japanese verbs are...is agglutinant even a word in English?
Close! The standard term is "agglutinative".

univbee posted:

So if you combine the conditional, imperative, autotransitivity/self-transitivity, and negative, you can say something like "if you don't want me to force you to eat yourself" in Japanese using only one word (albeit a long one): 食べさせられなければ (tabesaserarenakereba) - note: my Japanese is lacking, I almost surely hosed something up.
If you back-translate from your English, you left out the "want" part (put a "taku" between "rare" and "nakereba"), but you didn't mention that in your lead-up, so you're okay. What you have is more like "if I weren't forced to eat".

It's a pain in the rear end...but it makes the language very compact in some ways. Which is then a different pain in the rear end when you have to translate one "word" into a bunch of English ones under the tight space constraints of most video games.

My Japanese sister learned English starting sometime in elementary school and through high school. She enjoyed it and pursued it further in college; she can still eke out some English today, about 13 years later, but she's nowhere near as fluent as she was back in the day. Her husband learned as much English through high school, but was more interested in art and didn't take to it. To this day, the only English he knows is "as far as I know", which he picked up from some Star Trek film of all places. As with any language, personal interest and (perceived) utility plays a big part in retention. If you don't think you'll need it, you won't keep it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This is a very interesting discussion. I thought about comparing my studies in german and french, but I thought that while the languages are very different (Finnish myself) they still use the western alphabet and many of the words and sentence structures are similar to english.

By watching japanese TV shows and listening to music in addition to teaching myself some basics I've mostly learned some vocabulary and common phrases, but like you guys said earlier, the sentence phrasing is totally different from what I'm used to so it's hard to follow, even with translations. Maybe learning japanese by watching GCCX isn't the best way, but drat it, I sure know how to say "it's dangerous/easy/hard"!

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I too have learned some Japanese by watching the subs of GCCX. But it also helps that I speak an Asian language as the language is pretty similar. I am Korean by the way. Some of the vocabulary is very similar. Also, is there a New Year's Special this year?

Whilst farting I
Apr 25, 2006

All the Japanese I've learned from the show is stuff like "So close!" "Danger!" "Now I've done it!" "It's over!" "Geez" and "What will happen?" which isn't very conversational, but I'm awful with other languages. :nyoron:

Joctan
Sep 2, 2011
One thing that I have adopted from the show is the way that arino says: bye byeeeee! during the phone segments. I love the way he says it and now I use it too

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

One thing I've noticed is that whenever Arino eats something on a trip he always goes "Ah! Omae!" or however you spell it. He always says it the same way and with the same inflection. Is that a customary Japanese thing or what?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hakkesshu posted:

One thing I've noticed is that whenever Arino eats something on a trip he always goes "Ah! Omae!" or however you spell it. He always says it the same way and with the same inflection. Is that a customary Japanese thing or what?

Screwing around a bit in Google Translate, I'm guessing he's saying "旨い!" (delicious).

I wouldn't be that surprised if he genuinely likes most of the unhealthy, snacky street food he comes across.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Hakkesshu posted:

It's customary to say it as a token of gratitude if someone has given you the food, or if the person who prepared the food is watching you eat it. It doesn't mean anything, and you say it even if the food is terrible.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

"Umai" is a less formal way of saying "oishii" (delicious/tasty). Not customary or anything -- just common courtesy to say something tastes good when you're sampling it in front of the person who prepared it, or on TV. It's like Guy Fieri saying "that's great" after eating his upteenth burger.

It was funny when Arino said the seafood and steak he ate during the US trip wasn't so good well after the fact.

ETA: "Umai" also means "good/skilled/talented," so Arino sometimes says this after pulling off a smooth move while gaming. Usually translated as "I'm good!" or "Nice!"

"Omae" means "you," by the way.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 29, 2012

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

zari-gani posted:

"Umai" is a less formal way of saying "oishii" (delicious/tasty). Not customary or anything -- just common courtesy to say something tastes good when you're sampling it in front of the person who prepared it, or on TV. It's like Guy Fieri saying "that's great" after eating his upteenth burger.
Good comparison there. Turn on Japanese TV at any given time, but especially in the morning, and you will find any number of shows where people are trying food of some sort. Every single man will say "Umai!" and every single woman will say "Oishii!" You could turn it into a drinking game, but only if you don't mind getting shitfaced before noon.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

Good comparison there. Turn on Japanese TV at any given time, but especially in the morning, and you will find any number of shows where people are trying food of some sort. Every single man will say "Umai!" and every single woman will say "Oishii!"

With one obvious, fantastic exception.

serialrobinson
Oct 29, 2011

God I loving love Absolutely Tasty.

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

I think I saw cotton candy pizza at a state fair once. Not sure if they used cheese though.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Hirayuki posted:

Good comparison there. Turn on Japanese TV at any given time, but especially in the morning, and you will find any number of shows where people are trying food of some sort. Every single man will say "Umai!" and every single woman will say "Oishii!" You could turn it into a drinking game, but only if you don't mind getting shitfaced before noon.

I know what you mean but I was surprised to see a dish described as 'plain'.

They had travelled to Germany though so maybe the normal procedure didn't apply.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

The best part about AT is 90% of the "umai!" comes from Yamasaki for no reason other than the dish didn't make him gag. Maybe 1 of the 10-12 meals they make elicit a genuine reaction like that from the other 4 but Yamasaki probably says it for half the meals they eat. Great little bit by him.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

The best part about AT is 90% of the "umai!" comes from Yamasaki for no reason other than the dish didn't make him gag. Maybe 1 of the 10-12 meals they make elicit a genuine reaction like that from the other 4 but Yamasaki probably says it for half the meals they eat. Great little bit by him.

I think it's because he's supposed to be the official "fat guy"* of the group.

*Used in the loosest sense of the term.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
Yep, on average we Americans are much fatter than Japanese. Japanese fat is not our fat.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
What thread am I supposed to go to talk more about AT and get more videos of it?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Herr Tog posted:

What thread am I supposed to go to talk more about AT and get more videos of it?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426240 Ding.

It's not a goon translation project, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sorry guys, it's going to be about two hours before the next episode. The video was corrupted and I have to reupload it...

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Sorry guys, it's going to be about two hours before the next episode. The video was corrupted and I have to reupload it...

A shiny new episode for New Year's. What joy! Can't wait to see which episode it is. Hope it is Princess Tomato by the new translator on the team.

Happy New Year to all of the SAGCCX team!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Ah, y'all are good to us.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Will the episode be up soon? I was hoping to watch it over dinner.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've got to ask everyone right up front to be careful about spoiling this episode. It's best to go into to blind, not knowing what's coming up. Some of you already know what's coming but keep it quiet.

So which hush-hush episode is it? Just give the air a whiff. This game smells like Ninja Spirit.

Tonight's episode is brought to you by zari-gani and miscellaneous14. I'd give them a touting introduction but I'd blow the surprise...

Download torrent81 (1 files; 636.61 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

I've got to ask everyone right up front to be careful about spoiling this episode. It's best to go into to blind, not knowing what's coming up. Some of you already know what's coming but keep it quiet.

So which hush-hush episode is it? Just give the air a whiff. This game smells like Ninja Spirit.

Tonight's episode is brought to you by zari-gani and miscellaneous14. I'd give them a touting introduction but I'd blow the surprise...

Download torrent81 (1 files; 636.61 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

This was an episode that I really wanted to see. I have the Irem Arcade Collection for PC and plan on playing Ninja Spirit after watching Arino play it. I wish Arino was made to play the Arcade mode of the game instead of the easier PC Engine mode of the game.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Is Ninja Spirit the game that the guy who ran the arcade in San Fran said was his favorite?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
This episode, as well as the Coast to Coast AM prediction show in about 40 minutes, already makes my day a lot better since it started out rather lovely. :) Thank you guys again for your hard work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

Is Ninja Spirit the game that the guy who ran the arcade in San Fran said was his favorite?

Yes it is! Love Ninja Spirit/ Saigo no Nindou.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 31, 2012