Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soft kitty
Dec 7, 2012

Lullabee posted:

Question - when did you guys pack your hospital bags? DF is like 'WE NEED TO PACK AN OVERNIGHT BAGGGG' lately. However, being I'm only 33 weeks (34 on monday), I see no rush. We're less than 30 minutes from the hospital (given it's not rush hour), and the only things I'm concerned about bringing are the usual - clothes for everyone, pillow & blanket for the fiancé, toiletries, our phone chargers, our entertainment (handheld games and tablets) and his camera & charger. Oh and socks and sandals for me. We've had a few nights spent in L&D already and throwing together the bag doesn't take long at all - I usually do it while he's getting ready - so I don't think we really need to rush/worry about it. I think he's just still convinced Collin's coming early and will be here within the next three weeks.

I'm 31 weeks tomorrow, and my goal is to have the hospital bag all packed this weekend. I'm doing it a bit early as I'm having complications and was warned I might be put on bed rest or need an early delivery around 34 weeks.

You might want to have a detailed list ready just in case something unexpected happens. I think you'd be more likely to forget something if you suddenly go into labor, although it does sound like you've had practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

sudont posted:

Another boy name I love but am so on the fence about : Ciaran (or Kieran or Keiran) If I was a boy, that was going to be my name, and I was horrified as a kid because "that's a GIRL name!" and I thought I would've been teased my whole life. Kids will find something in any name to tease, so I dunno. I also feel like it doesn't lend itself to any nicknames if the kid doesn't like it.

That's funny, Kieren is a pretty common name round here (Scotland) but I never realised it was a girl name as well. So is Rory but it's usually spelled the gaelic way up here - Ruaridh - which would definitely make it less of an easy to pronounce name if people weren't used to it.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Oh sorry, I was unclear! To a little (American) kid, Ciaran/Kieran sounded like a girl's name, like Karen, and my 8 year old self was horrified that I could've been a boy and been saddled with a *gasp, horror* GIRL sounding name. :)

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
I made a list of stuff I wanted to bring because I used/wore most of it regularly. I think I packed the week of my due date and then checked off the rest of the list the night before my scheduled induction. I packed stuff for me to wear, but just ended up wearing the hospital gowns during my 4 day stay because it was so convenient to unsnap the shoulder to breastfeed and I didn't have to worry about leaking (milk or blood!) all over my clothes. Also, I was sweaty and hot (postpartum hormones, I guess) and the hospital gowns were loose and breathable and I could just ask for another if it got gross.

I highly recommend packing towels for you and your partner (if he showers at the hospital). Hospital towels are about the size of a postage stamp and scratchy as hell.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Chickalicious posted:

I highly recommend packing towels for you and your partner (if he showers at the hospital). Hospital towels are about the size of a postage stamp and scratchy as hell.

Seriously. I swear to christ, my dish scrubbers at home are larger and softer than the towels they expect you to use in the hospital. I just had a baby, and you want me to dry my abused body with this horror? I think not.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

sudont posted:

Another boy name I love but am so on the fence about : Ciaran (or Kieran or Keiran) If I was a boy, that was going to be my name, and I was horrified as a kid because "that's a GIRL name!" and I thought I would've been teased my whole life. Kids will find something in any name to tease, so I dunno. I also feel like it doesn't lend itself to any nicknames if the kid doesn't like it.

It's becoming more popular in the US, but yeah I have a feeling it's going to become another boy's name that is slowly transformed into a girls-only name. Keenan and Cian are similar-sounding names that are more definitively boys names.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

If it makes you feel any better, my friends unintentionally used a name I had earmarked for my daughter for their new puppy. At first I was miffed; but realized all the jokes would be done with by the time the baby was two or so, so who cares.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 21, 2017

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

ButtonsForEyes posted:

Haha I was actually a little sheepish to say the name, because although I'm insisting it's "not that common", it popped up in this thread very recently and I have a sneaking suspicion that it is, in fact, gaining quickly in popularity. The name is Asher. I personally think it is The Very Best Boy Name. I feel like I might kick myself in five years if it turns out to be the next BraydenCadenJadenHaydenSmayden (only because my name is The Most Common Girl's Name Ever and I actually did begrudge that fact as a bratty child/adolescent/teen) and I have this weird (asinine) paranoia that every time I say it, I'm contributing to "spreading" it. But when he's born, I'm going to be saying it multiple times a day, so I better get over that quick. Everyone's replies were really helpful-- helping me realize why it feels so personal (right now it's "all he's got" hits the nail on the head) and pointing out that when he's outside my belly, his name is going to be far from his most identifying characteristic. So thanks for that! In any case, it is far from my "place" to tell another mama what she can name her son, who will be her son all her life, way after she forgets me!

:hfive: Congrats on choosing the best name ever! I hear you about name popularity though, my name is Ashlie. I thought I was being really original choosing a biblical, old school Jewish name until it turned out that it is rapidly gaining popularity. Have you thought about giving him a really unique middle name to help maybe feel like he isn't just "one of a million"? We're going with Rockwell, so it's pretty likely he'll be called Rocky with at least my family and in the classroom.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Just got a positive hpt, so while early, looks like I'll be having another one soon (well, September.) So stoked.

Has anyone ever done the MaterniT21 test or anything similar. I know I'm on the cusp of "advanced maternal age" (at 31! :gonk:), so I'll probably be getting some sort of screening.

ChloroformSeduction fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 29, 2012

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

ChloroformSeduction posted:

Just got a positive hpt, so while early, looks like I'll be having another one soon (well, September.) So stoked.

Has anyone ever done the MaterniT21 test or anything similar. I know I'm on the cusp of "advanced maternal age" (at 31! :gone:), so I'll probably be getting some sort of screening.

I haven't done the MaterniT21 but I did consider it for a while. You may have to look around for a practice that does it though, as quite a lot don't consider it to be worthwhile just yet. Insurance likely won't cover it but I believe the lab that analyzes the results offers a cap on the fee if you're paying out of pocket, less than $300 I think. A friend had it done and the result (chromosomally typical) was accurate, for whatever that is worth. If there was a real question I think I'd opt for it over something invasive like an amnio or CVS.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Has anyone ever done the MaterniT21 test or anything similar. I know I'm on the cusp of "advanced maternal age" (at 31! :gonk:), so I'll probably be getting some sort of screening.

With the prevalence of so many women getting pregnant well into their 40's nowadays, my experience is that no doctor is going to worry about you being 31. Or even 35.

Of course, if you want additional screenings for your own peace of mind, that's fine too. None of the doctors at my practice offered the MaterniT21, regardless of age (though I saw the pens with the advertising on them hanging around the office, so I know the company reps had been there to talk to them). They seemed to have a lot more confidence in the tried-and-true methods (CVS or amnio).

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
General question here for those a few weeks/months post-partum - when did you start taking your kids out in public? Was this based on your own comfort, or were you given particular guidelines by your pediatrician?

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
OK, good to know about the MaterniT21 test. They don't offer them in Canada yet that I'm aware of, but I know my clinic in the States does, so I'll ask them their thoughts on it. I am partly interested because you can tell the gender early, which would be pretty awesome.

Ratatozsk - I started taking my son out in public within a week, I think. Just little walks around the neighbourhood, (those were pretty nerve-wracking, actually!), to the coffeeshop, fruit stand, etc. I don't recall being given any sorts of guidelines from my GP.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I know I'm on the cusp of "advanced maternal age" (at 31! :gonk:), so I'll probably be getting some sort of screening.

Uhm no, you're not :stare:

If you were say, 37-38, yes you're on the cusp of advanced maternal age.
Having a baby in your early thirties is pretty drat common/normal.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Ratatozsk posted:

General question here for those a few weeks/months post-partum - when did you start taking your kids out in public? Was this based on your own comfort, or were you given particular guidelines by your pediatrician?

My pediatrician didn't give me any guidelines at all. You'll have to go out a few times early on anyway, because you'll have checkups with both your pediatrician and your OB. We took our guy out to a sushi restaurant when he was 2 weeks old, because we were already out for a pediatrician visit, and after 9 months without sushi, I really, really wanted some.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

Em was born in the midst of cold and flu season, so the doctor said to try to keep her out of crowds for at least two months. We used her as an excuse to miss church for two months. I would still go to the store, but I would be wearing her or she would be in a carrier in the cart. We went to a friend's party, family gatherings, and restaurants and stuff like that where either people would stay away when asked, or would wash their hands first when asked.

I would use your own comfort, if you think people are going to be all over you and want to check your kid out, don't go.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Nah, 31 is pretty normal age. I was 30 when I conceived and wasn't even told about the test. I did do the other non invasive screens though, that they offer to everyone.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Ratatozsk posted:

Other than the first pediatrician visit, I don't think we went out until week 2 or 3. I was too drat tired to go anywhere anyway. We started with Target I think. She's almost 6 weeks now and we can only do short trips but I think fresh air does her good. I just keep her away from grabby hands and maybe a muslin blanket over the car seat. When it's not toooo cold l will put her in the Ergo and walk around the neighborhood, maybe pop into the local coffee shop. This is all based on my comfort level. I say just be smart and stay away from large crowds and don't let anyone touch/hold unless they wash their hands.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
I was told that 35 was the cut off point for maternal age "high risk".

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

My wife's first La Leche meeting was locked out of the Lamaze Center, so they relocated to a nearby Panera (at about 1 1/2 weeks). We've had Dominic out several times since then to Target, the mall, and a restaurant, and he's cooperatively slept through them all. I guess I just had a few paranoid moments after my parents mentioned the guidelines they had been given when my sister and I were born, but admittedly a lot has changed in the past 30 years.

Lt. Tanaka posted:

I was told that 35 was the cut off point for maternal age "high risk".

I've also generally heard 35 used as the start-point for "advanced maternal age" which carries risk for a number of different things. Granted, the risk after this point is still relatively small, but it can compound with other environmental and genetic factors

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Logan is 6 weeks old and we take him for hour-long walks in the stroller, but other than that he's only been to the doctor's office.

When did people start wearing their babies? We have an Ergo and a Mobi but he doesn't seem to enjoy either one. Do they need time to get used to it? With the Ergo in particular, the instructions say that their legs should hang out the sides, but he's not big enough for that and it seems like his legs just get smashed into a kneeling position.

Also did anyone have problems with oversupply or over-active letdown? We're getting all of the typical symptoms of it (gasping and fussing during feeding, tons of gas, etc), and the IBCLC's haven't been any help at all. Did anyone try the FDBF method (full drainage and block feeding)?

soft kitty
Dec 7, 2012
I'm 36, and my insurance covered the MaterniT21 test.

Both my OB and the Maternal-Fetal Medicine group consider 35+ to be advanced maternal age.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

Papercut posted:

When did people start wearing their babies? We have an Ergo and a Mobi but he doesn't seem to enjoy either one. Do they need time to get used to it? With the Ergo in particular, the instructions say that their legs should hang out the sides, but he's not big enough for that and it seems like his legs just get smashed into a kneeling position.

I started wearing around 2-3 weeks using a K'tan. Sometimes she was fine with it, others she hated it - although I think being too warm played into that since it was July.

With soft structured carriers, I recall reading that they aren't really recommended until 3 months or so, when they have really good head control. I remember Ergo having an infant insert for newborns - have you tried that? I wouldn't think they would have a newborn in the 'sitting' position just yet since they don't have enough head control.

I picked up a Boba when she was 3 months and she has never fussed in that carrier besides being wet/hungry/tired. K'tan is still hit or miss.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
I use the Ergo with infant insert. It's fantastic. My husband also uses it. I feel it's too bulky for around the house, so I have a Moby too. However I can't find an infant- appropriate wrap that our baby likes. And it's a lot of fabric and my baby sweats a lot. I'm looking for a simple sling that might do the trick. Those "free, just pay shipping" Seven Slings that you'll get 100 offers for (maternity stores, backs of magazines) are Ok but if you get the wrong size -- and you will -- it's essentially useless.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

I took my daughter shopping with me the day I was let out of hospital after a Csection, so she was 4 days old - we weren't told to keep her away from people. We saw plenty of people in the first week or so, and I took her into my workplace at under 2 weeks old to meet colleagues. I then flew to visit family with her when she was 3 weeks old, and at 6.5 months old now she has been on 8 flights. She's had 1 cold, that was very minor really, when she was a couple of months old, other than that we've had no health problems.

Papercut posted:

Also did anyone have problems with oversupply or over-active letdown? We're getting all of the typical symptoms of it (gasping and fussing during feeding, tons of gas, etc), and the IBCLC's haven't been any help at all. Did anyone try the FDBF method (full drainage and block feeding)?

I found my daughter did better in a ringsling as a small baby. She was happy in it, and even slept quite happily. This was her going through the airport at 4 weeks old:

I had terrible oversupply for the first while, and she was getting way too much foremilk, and had green poop for ages. It didn't help that she was tongue tied too, so not feeding very efficiently. Then again the only reason that she didn't lose weight while waiting for tongue tie to be dealt with is that she didn't have to make much effort to have milk squirted at her with force! I ended up only feeding her on one side per 4 hours; it seemed to work well, and my supply regulated a bit. Still have a high supply though, even now. I pump milk to donate to a milk bank for babies in the NICU.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

We went home via IKEA so we were out and about at 3 days (wandering around still wearing our hospital bracelets). Then the hardware store the next day (we were in the midst of a renovation) then doctors visits. At 1 week I took him on the waterbus to see my parents & friends/coworkers, I was pretty comfortable taking him out by myself. I thought I'd be a nervous wreck when leaving the house with him but it wasn't the case.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Papercut posted:

Dominic zonked out in a Moby around 1 week and in a Snugli around 2 weeks. The lack of neck control means that we usually have a hand on his head if we're doing anything other than just sitting around. Otherwise, though, he's taken to carriers pretty well.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Kosta was ok hanging out in the Moby at that age, but I'd really either buy the infant insert for the Ergo or just roll up a small towel and shove it in there. I'm sure if you google some pictures will pop up of what to do. I just found the Ergo so much more comfortable for me.

I block fed and still do now, 10 months later. I used to have to let the baby start my letdown, pull out, point nipple onto a hand towel until it stopped spraying, then feed baby. It took a while to call down, but that helped with the choking.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

frenchnewwave posted:

Nah, 31 is pretty normal age. I was 30 when I conceived and wasn't even told about the test. I did do the other non invasive screens though, that they offer to everyone.

Oh yeah, it's totally normal age to have babies now, but I remember when I was pregnant with my first at 29, the way it was explained was that 35 was AMA, but the 30-35 was considered pretty good, but hey, you're not 18. So they basically offer you the option of doing the tests then, because while your risk is low, it's still slightly elevated for a couple things so they explain it to people and give them the option.

I'm leaning towards something like MaterniT21 (there seem to be 2 or 3 options right now), just because it's non-invasive, so it makes sense to me to do that, rather than doing something like a quad screen.

Helanna - that ring sling is beautiful!

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Helanna - that ring sling is beautiful!

Yeah the fabric is just lovely. Bought it on etsy (http://www.etsy.com/shop/babyette) and it was great for the newborn stage. She doesn't appreciate ringslings these days - she's 6.5 months and we get on much better with an emeibaby, which is very similar to the ergo.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
Baby has not been quite as active the past couple days. I'm 28 weeks now, and I still feel him and can count 10 movements in an hour and a half, more before I fall asleep, but he had been super wiggly the past couple weeks and now he isn't as active in the mornings as I'm used to. If I have a fizzy drink or a sweet then lie down, I can definitely feel him, but.. I don't know! Maybe he's just having an off day? Do I need to call the emergency number my GP gave me? :ohdear:

*Edit: pretty much as soon as I posted this he kicked the dog that had his head in my lap and then I got barked at and the baby started flailing around, so I think we're all good now.

Related to baby carrier chat: My husband is a big dude. Very broad chested and shouldered. What would be a good sling to get for him to wear?

Lucha Luch fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 29, 2012

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Dandy Shrew posted:

Baby has not been quite as active the past couple days. I'm 28 weeks now, and I still feel him and can count 10 movements in an hour and a half, more before I fall asleep, but he had been super wiggly the past couple weeks and now he isn't as active in the mornings as I'm used to. If I have a fizzy drink or a sweet then lie down, I can definitely feel him, but.. I don't know! Maybe he's just having an off day? Do I need to call the emergency number my GP gave me? :ohdear:

He could also just have turned a different way so it's harder to feel his movements. That happened to me my first pregnancy and I freaked out. ;) The midwife had me drink juice and lay on my side and he started kicking a lot.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Thanks for all of the great information on carriers and breastfeeding. Our baby support group had someone post about a free Ergo infant insert and we're trying to score that, but our downstairs neighbor had also told us about the towel trick. We'll have to try it.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?
I am 36 and went through All The Tests because my OB also considers 35+ of advanced maternal age (despite what my cranky-rear end stepmother in law says). I also had additional monitoring at the end of the pregnancy because I guess one of the things that AMA has a potential for is early placental.. umm.. breakdown? Basically it loses its efficiency faster when you're older so I was in for twice a week testing after 35 weeks to make sure baby girl was getting enough oxygen and to make sure the contractions weren't stressing her out.
At 41 weeks I was induced and had a happy, fat baby who is currently farting all over her dad in the other room.

As far as going out, we went out with her first at probably about 2 weeks because I was in the hospital for a week and wasn't in any condition to be real mobile for another week. We were never told not to take her out, we just try to keep grubby people away from touching her, enforce handwashing etc, except for the same lame stepmother in law who picked up her dropped paficier, stuck it in her nasty mouth to clean it, then popped it in the baby's mouth. That was probably her entire germ load right there.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 21, 2017

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Jasper is a month old and he doesn't like the moby or the baby hawk right now. I think its because he doesn't like his legs squished. He doesn't even like a tight swaddle and will throw a fit if you put him in one. He does like this carrier currently: http://www.amazon.com/Jeep-Sport-Baby-Carrier-Amazon/dp/B002UXQLC6

I think he likes his legs to dangle. It took a few times, but now he sleeps in it once he gets put in. I think he'll like the other ones fine once he can hold his head up and his legs can stick out.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Alterian posted:

Jasper is a month old and he doesn't like the moby or the baby hawk right now. I think its because he doesn't like his legs squished. He doesn't even like a tight swaddle and will throw a fit if you put him in one. He does like this carrier currently: http://www.amazon.com/Jeep-Sport-Baby-Carrier-Amazon/dp/B002UXQLC6

I think he likes his legs to dangle. It took a few times, but now he sleeps in it once he gets put in. I think he'll like the other ones fine once he can hold his head up and his legs can stick out.

You can have him legs out in the moby - my son preferred legs out from a little under 2 months

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Ratatozsk posted:

We were out nearly every day after we were discharged from the hospital, even just for a quick trip to Target. My husband was off for 5 weeks and we would have gone nuts just sitting around looking at each other all that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Chickalicious posted:

We were out nearly every day after we were discharged from the hospital, even just for a quick trip to Target. My husband was off for 5 weeks and we would have gone nuts just sitting around looking at each other all that time.

Same. We went for walks around the neighborhood or just to the store. Fresh air and some daylight is good for baby and parents :) As long as you aren't taking the baby somewhere where lots of grubby people will smear their germs on him, he'll be fine. In my experience, people were very good about keeping some distance when he was tiny (we took him for a little tour of my workplace when he was a week and no one even touched him).